ImageImageImageImage

Jett Howard assigned to G-League

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,384

Re: Jett Howard assigned to G-League 

Post#481 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:28 am

It would be less strange or probable if same outcom didn't repeat itself 3 times (years ) in a row.

it would be also less strange if Jett Howard and Caleb Houstan aren't pretty much copy past same players with same skillsets and same obvious weaknesses ( unathletic, tweeners , same height , poor rebounding, mediocre defenders ).
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,562

Post#482 » by eyriq » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:59 am

It is very unlikely to be random chance
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#483 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:14 pm

Sign Miles Bridges, Michigan State and Flint native...that will make "The Family" happy :lol:

I'm serious...he's good
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,805

Post#484 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:23 pm

I don’t believe it’s pure coincidence, but it has nothing to do with ownership.

It’s purely a Weltman thing. Clearly he feels/felt like he found something within that Michigan program.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,231

Post#485 » by MagicMatic » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:41 pm

pepe1991 wrote:It would be less strange or probable if same outcom didn't repeat itself 3 times (years ) in a row.

it would be also less strange if Jett Howard and Caleb Houstan aren't pretty much copy past same players with same skillsets and same obvious weaknesses ( unathletic, tweeners , same height , poor rebounding, mediocre defenders ).

My main question to Weltman would be as a reporter…

“So Jeff, are there any 6’8+ Forwards from Michigan that you like this year? You’ve drafted one 3 seasons in a row.”

Franz- 2021
Caleb- 2022
Jett- 2023
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,183

Post#486 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:51 pm

The FO may have reached on Jett because he was okay with spending the year in the G-League

Remember they did the same with Okeke - reached on him because he was cool with signing his rookie deal a year later and he was okay with staying in the G league until then
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#487 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:52 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:The FO may have reached on Jett because he was okay with spending the year in the G-League

Remember they did the same with Okeke - reached on him because he was cool with signing his rookie deal a year later and he was okay with staying in the G league until then

Okeke draft really aged well :lol:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,562

Post#488 » by eyriq » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:57 pm

Knightro wrote:I don’t believe it’s pure coincidence, but it has nothing to do with ownership.

It’s purely a Weltman thing. Clearly he feels/felt like he found something within that Michigan program.
Yeah, I agree. The alternative, that we are juicing recruiting by "guaranteeing" an NBA job, is too sleezy.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,183

Post#489 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:04 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:The FO may have reached on Jett because he was okay with spending the year in the G-League

Okeke draft really aged well :lol:

Okeke was one of those picks you just knew it wasn’t going to go well right off the bat..

And it became even more suspect when he was willing to start his rookie deal a year later (Probably because he would have been drafted way later otherwise)
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#490 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:22 pm

Knightro wrote:I don’t believe it’s pure coincidence, but it has nothing to do with ownership.

and yet the program has been losing and the coach just fired
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#491 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:34 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:It would be less strange or probable if same outcom didn't repeat itself 3 times (years ) in a row.

“So Jeff, are there any 6’8+ Forwards from Michigan that you like this year? You’ve drafted one 3 seasons in a row.”

Franz- 2021
Caleb- 2022
Jett- 2023

I am not sorry.

It's foregone conclusion now that something is up here. Like it or not. I have listened to Juwan Howards speeches, and its almost copy paste from Mosely. They are building a culture that is very similar to ours using similar language. All the other ties may or may not be coincidence.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#492 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:39 pm

tiderulz wrote:

Right, but that isn't the point.

When I say "finding something within a program" - I mean a talent evaluator like Weltman thinks he's discovered guys who's stats are artificially depressed by the team's style of play. Or he thinks because the coach is a former NBA guy that the players are more prepared for the transition or more well versed in NBA fundamentals even if the team as a whole didn't have great success playing the very different college game.

John Calipari has been at Kentucky for 15 years and they've one 1 title and have only been to the Final Four once in the last decade.

Yet they keep sending high level guards to the pros who weren't nearly as good in college as they become in the pros. Teams understand there's a reason for that and don't shy away from picking those guys even though Kentucky has underachieved pretty badly over the last decade.

My personal opinion is that Weltman really valued Howard's NBA style of coaching and program building and felt like perhaps their lack of team success allowed him to draft guys who were otherwise undervalued by the rest of the scouting community.

I do not believe it had or ever has had literally anything to do with the owners being from Michigan.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#493 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:41 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Franz- 2021
Caleb- 2022
Jett- 2023

I am not sorry.

It's foregone conclusion now that something is up here. Like it or not. I have listened to Juwan Howards speeches, and its almost copy paste from Mosely. They are building a culture that is very similar to ours using similar language. All the other ties may or may not be coincidence.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is brilliant :lol:

Tnx, love it, i'll save pic on my phone & comp :D
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,298

Post#494 » by Jiwol » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:50 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

Franz- 2021
Caleb- 2022
Jett- 2023

Awww, man, it would be a pure gold. I bet no one would be willing to put his reporter credentials at stake though.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#495 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:25 pm

Knightro wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Right, but that isn't the point.

When I say "finding something within a program" - I mean a talent evaluator like Weltman thinks he's discovered guys who's stats are artificially depressed by the team's style of play. Or he thinks because the coach is a former NBA guy that the players are more prepared for the transition or more well versed in NBA fundamentals even if the team as a whole didn't have great success playing the very different college game.

John Calipari has been at Kentucky for 15 years and they've one 1 title and have only been to the Final Four once in the last decade.

Yet they keep sending high level guards to the pros who weren't nearly as good in college as they become in the pros. Teams understand there's a reason for that and don't shy away from picking those guys even though Kentucky has underachieved pretty badly over the last decade.

My personal opinion is that Weltman really valued Howard's NBA style of coaching and program building and felt like perhaps their lack of team success allowed him to draft guys who were otherwise undervalued by the rest of the scouting community.

I do not believe it had or ever has had literally anything to do with the owners being from Michigan.

That makes a lot of sense...there are many consistent winning programs in college hoops...some turn out successful pros more reliably than others- Kentucky has to come to mind for all of the "pretty good" college players that take off in the NBA, beyond all projections. There are certainly others but I'd say that theory has legs. The key to recruiting top guys to a college program is probably based, in large part, on promises to get them NBA-ready.

"The only guy that could limit Michael Jordan's scoring is Dean Smith"
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#496 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:35 pm

Skybox wrote:That makes a lot of sense...there are many consistent winning programs in college hoops...some turn out successful pros more reliably than others- Kentucky has to come to mind for all of the "pretty good" college players that take off in the NBA, beyond all projections. There are certainly others but I'd say that theory has legs. The key to recruiting top guys to a college program is probably based, in large part, on promises to get them NBA-ready.

I also think the fact that Weltman "hit" on the Franz pick - aka found a guy who averaged 12 PPG as a college sophomore on low usage is now all of a sudden a 20 PPG guy in the pros - probably emboldened him a little bit to try and find more guys from within that same program who might have more to give than they showed at Michigan.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#497 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:41 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skybox wrote:That makes a lot of sense...there are many consistent winning programs in college hoops...some turn out successful pros more reliably than others- Kentucky has to come to mind for all of the "pretty good" college players that take off in the NBA, beyond all projections. There are certainly others but I'd say that theory has legs. The key to recruiting top guys to a college program is probably based, in large part, on promises to get them NBA-ready.

I also think the fact that Weltman "hit" on the Franz pick - aka found a guy who averaged 12 PPG as a college sophomore on low usage is now all of a sudden a 20 PPG guy in the pros - probably emboldened him a little bit to try and find more guys from within that same program who might have more to give than they showed at Michigan.

I think the "Wagner Magic" has a lot more to do with how he grew up in a major German program, stressing ball movement and playing unselfishly than anything Howard taught him in a few months at U of M. Might also be attributed to being beat on by Mo his whole life...Maybe Weltman will draft only Germans for the next few seasons.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#498 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:54 pm

Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:

I think the "Wagner Magic" has a lot more to do with how he grew up in a major German program, stressing ball movement and playing unselfishly than anything Howard taught him in a few months at U of M. Might also be attributed to being beat on by Mo his whole life...Maybe Weltman will draft only Germans for the next few seasons.

Well sure. I don't disagree with you.

I'm just trying to justify the Houstan and Howard picks that came later.

I think Weltman even openly admitted in the post-draft press conference that he felt like Jett had a lot more capability than he was able to show at Michigan due to a variety of factors.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#499 » by pepe1991 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:41 pm

Knightro wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Well sure. I don't disagree with you.

I'm just trying to justify the Houstan and Howard picks that came later.

I think Weltman even openly admitted in the post-draft press conference that he felt like Jett had a lot more capability than he was able to show at Michigan due to a variety of factors.

If your daddy can't put you in position to suceed... who can? :o
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,921

Post#500 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:31 pm

This conspiracy theory would be put to rest next season when we see how Jett does finally in the league. If the guy, after a year of GL development, finally produces and helps the team then WePark was right all along. However, if Jett does rack up more DNPs and sucks then they suck.

Simple as that. Don't care if he came from MICH or what, bottom-line really is can he produce properly for us next season.

Return to Orlando Magic