ImageImageImageImage

Sweater Vest Thread #34: Magic 115 - Jazz 107

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Sweater Vest No. 34

Poll ended at Sat Mar 2, 2024 2:35 am

Paolo Banchero: 29 PTS, 9 REB, 6 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 10-16 FG, 8-11 FT, +7 in 34 minutes
51%
Franz Wagner: 14 PTS, 3 REB, 6 AST, 2 STL, 2 BLK, 6-11 FG, +3 in 34 minutes
2%
Gary Harris: 13 PTS, 4 REB, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 5-8 FG, 3-6 3PT in 24 minutes
No votes
Jalen Suggs: 15 PTS, 2 REB, 2 AST, 1 STL, 5-8 FG, 4-7 3PT, +5 in 29 minutes
47%
Moritz Wagner: 14 PTS, 10 REB, 1 STL, 6-7 FG in 26 minutes
No votes
Cole Anthony: 9 PTS, 7 REB, 4 AST, 1 STL, 4-9 FG, +8 in 24 minutes
No votes

Total votes: 53

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,540

Re: Sweater Vest Thread #34: Magic 115 - Jazz 107 

Post#21 » by jezzerinho » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:26 am

Paolo
Mo
Suggs

Despite the 3 3s, i cant give it to a lead guard with 2 Asts and 3 TOs. Jalen doesnt have to be the primary initiator, but he does have to be a more effective distributor than he is currently.
dsg2021
Analyst
And1: 1,050

Post#22 » by dsg2021 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:47 am

V - Jalen Suggs
I'm going with Suggs because clutch moments are that powerful to me. Three 3PM's, all in clutch moments. I also think I've been underrepresenting him in the Vest Threads due to his defense and energy.

C - Paolo Banchero
I was thinking something interesting. Why am I watching so many more Magic games this year? I've missed only a handful so far. When Paolo was out for two games, I realized why. Paolo Banchero is the reason why I watch ORL this often again. Not any other player.

M - Franz Wagner
Star Player #2 went 6-7 in 2PT FG's as a SF, 2-2 in FT's, 6 dimes, 2 steals and 2 blocks. That's a Star Player.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#23 » by drsd » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:36 am

jezzerinho wrote:Paolo
Mo
Suggs

Despite the 3 3s, i cant give it to a lead guard with 2 Asts and 3 TOs. Jalen doesnt have to be the primary initiator, but he does have to be a more effective distributor than he is currently.

... who fouled out of the game (the Jazz took a lot of FTs this game keeping them in it; fouls mattered).

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:I feel like this was a by committee appropach.

When did 29/6/9 become a lunch-pail stat line? Banchero was an alpha in this game, and dominated in efficiency.

Banchero was easily the most important player for Orlando in this game. Mr. MVP is my vest vote
M-Wagner for the cummerbund. He was an ace off of the bench and that 14/10 stat line was super efficient.
Suggs for the mittens. Yes Banchero had a good deal of points in the last 5, but Suggs scoring was dagger-cold.

Lots of lollipops: F-Wagner, G-Harris, and Anthony all had key roles.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,857

Post#24 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:41 am

drsd wrote:
Mo
Suggs

... who fouled out of the game (the Jazz took a lot of FTs this game keeping them in it; fouls mattered).

When did 29/6/9 become a lunch-pail stat line? Banchero was an alpha in this game, and dominated in efficiency.

Banchero was easily the most important player for Orlando in this game. Mr. MVP is my vest vote
M-Wagner for the cummerbund. He was an ace off of the bench and that 14/10 stat line was super efficient.
Suggs for the mittens. Yes Banchero had a good deal of points in the last 5, but Suggs scoring was dagger-cold.

Watching the game live, Paolo didn’t really assert himself until the 4th. The turnovers caused concern but with Jalen as well. Honestly, we didn’t really notice Paolo until the 4th when he got our first 6 points in the quarter. He was okay in the first half.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#25 » by paperboymafia » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:40 am

Suggs
Paolo
Moritz
Tarheel
Sixth Man
And1: 769

Post#26 » by Tarheel » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:20 pm

I went for Paolo. Suggs took it away from them at the end but Paolo quietly put in the performance to put us in the position to do that.

He also needs to spend his whole summer working on free throws :lol:
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#27 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:42 pm

I thought the offensive rebound Cole got was just as big as the 3s Suggs hit.
To be honest, I was pissed at Suggs performance for most of the 2nd half, he was looking like he didn't care. I was hoping coach would give AB a chance to guard George.

I'd be ok with no vest for this game as the turnovers were just awful.
Suggs threw one across court, maybe 10 rows high into the stands?
Paolo and Franz threw easy passes across the middle.
Paolo again dribbled one off his foot.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM

Post#28 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:45 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:I thought the offensive rebound Cole got was just as big as the 3s Suggs hit.
To be honest, I was pissed at Suggs performance for most of the 2nd half, he was looking like he didn't care. I was hoping coach would give AB a chance to guard George.

I'd be ok with no vest for this game as the turnovers were just awful.
Suggs threw one across court, maybe 10 rows high into the stands?
Paolo and Franz threw easy passes across the middle.
Paolo again dribbled one off his foot.

Suggs was a pest against George. He made him work for everything and forced him to be more of a passer. You could see how hard Jalen worked. It was crazy.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,561

Post#29 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:49 pm

Keyonte George had a 132 ORtg on 25% usage and led his team with a 7.6 box score plus/minus. He absolutely owned his matchup with Suggs, who had a 115 ORtg on 18.6% usage with a 0.1 BPM.

Yes, Suggs was clutch, but the game isn't won in clutch time. Just hard to give him the vest when he was so thoroughly outplayed in his matchup.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,077

Post#30 » by SOUL » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:05 pm

eyriq wrote:Keyonte George had a 132 ORtg on 25% usage and led his team with a 7.6 box score plus/minus. He absolutely owned his matchup with Suggs, who had a 115 ORtg on 18.6% usage with a 0.1 BPM.

Yes, Suggs was clutch, but the game isn't won in clutch time. Just hard to give him the vest when he was so thoroughly outplayed in his matchup.

Then left him open three shots in a row.

Jazz reddit:

"Keyontes shot selection and defense against suggs to close the game were so poor. I have no idea what he thought he was gonna do on the one where he left suggs completely alone in the corner."

"Clarkson , George and Hardy lost that game . Clarkson was terrible all game but played over 30 mins. Keyonte shot selection down the stretch was mind boggling . He did not get sexton or Lauri involved. Not okay!"

He was solid, but a lot of Jazz fans were not pleased with his play down the stretch and thought he froze Sexton out a bit too.

Rookies can put up great stats and also be extremely exploitable too. Hendricks played solid and had decent defense in the first half as well, but then had no answer for Paolo in the 4th where we spammed Paolo against him.

Magic were actively hunting those matchups, which probably accounted for 18 points total. Shows the entire rookie experience of extreme highs and then game losing plays in the spirit of development.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM

Post#31 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:52 pm

eyriq wrote:Keyonte George had a 132 ORtg on 25% usage and led his team with a 7.6 box score plus/minus. He absolutely owned his matchup with Suggs, who had a 115 ORtg on 18.6% usage with a 0.1 BPM.

I don’t understand those stats, I do understood what I watched. Suggs hounded him all game long and forced him into being more of a passer. They then starting using Lauri as the screen setter to get George to switch off Suggs. Laura set some hard screens. It was Sexton who we couldn’t stop. Yes I get that George and Sexton had more points but it truly felt like Sexton could not miss, he was everywhere.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:56 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:

I don’t understand those stats, I do understood what I watched. Suggs hounded him all game long and forced him into being more of a passer. They then starting Lauri setting screens to get George to switch off Suggs. Laura set some hard screens.
Did you notice that Keyonte got past Suggs all night and into the paint for kick out threes? Suggs could not stay in front of him or turn him over and Keyonte got wherever he wanted and dished out 9 assists with 2 turnovers, while getting to the line. I didn't think Suggs' defense bothered him at all while watching, and Suggs ultimately fouled out.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#33 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:15 pm

Knightro wrote:29 PTS, 9 REB, 6 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 10-16 FG would probably be the best non-vest winning box score of the season.

He gets my vote. Dude put on a clinic while being sick. If this had been non sick Paolo the vest would likely go to Suggs.

Paolo
Suggs
Mo Dunk Swag Wagner
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#34 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:19 pm

drsd wrote:
Mo
Suggs

I could go either way on C / M as both had their place in this truly fun win. Lots to say we didn't do well, but the W column is still in the right direction.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#35 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:21 pm

eyriq wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:

I don’t understand those stats, I do understood what I watched. Suggs hounded him all game long and forced him into being more of a passer. They then starting Lauri setting screens to get George to switch off Suggs. Laura set some hard screens.
Did you notice that Keyonte got past Suggs all night and into the paint for kick out threes? Suggs could not stay in front of him or turn him over and Keyonte got wherever he wanted and dished out 9 assists with 2 turnovers, while getting to the line. I didn't think Suggs' defense bothered him at all while watching, and Suggs ultimately fouled out.

Suggs last foul was a statement I believe. IE, I am never done.

That being said, rather then hound Suggs one way or another. Our boy Keyonte won this round and at least proved us right for now. His stateline is absolutely no joke and against our even Isaacless defense doesn't necessarily make it a fluke.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM

Post#36 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:45 pm

eyriq wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:

I don't understand the logic of "player A hounded player B all game long" meant you're incorrect because "Player B got into the paint" but I digress. I actually went back and watched the broadcast and watched every possession where Jalen was on George. 1st quarter, George got into the paint 4 times and had 2 kick-outs for 3s with one assist. 2nd quarter, he got into the paint twice, no kick-outs. His assist on 3s were outside the perimeter. Jalen was having a hard time with Sexton, not George in that quarter. 3rd quarter George entered the paint twice on Suggs, one due to a fast break and the other was a kick-out hockey assist where Lauri hit the 3. 4th quarter, Jalen comes into he game with less than 3 minutes left and fouls George (which I don't really think was a foul) and then immediately fouls him on the 3. And I stopped caring after that because Suggs took over, hit 3-3s and won us the game.

Look, I do not watch college ball, so I don't care who Orlando draft, so I'm not here to try and squash any excitement of George. I'm just saying that Suggs hounded George all game long. I didn't say he shut him down as a point guard but that he hounded him. Oh and by the way if you're wondering were there positions that Suggs was on George and George really didn't enter the paint--yes, there were quite a few, I just didn't list those because I was looking more of him entering the paint.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:52 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:I don’t understand those stats, I do understood what I watched. Suggs hounded him all game long and forced him into being more of a passer. They then starting Lauri setting screens to get George to switch off Suggs. Laura set some hard screens.

I don't understand the logic of "player A hounded player B all game long" meant you're incorrect because "Player B got into the paint" but I digress. I actually went back and watched the broadcast and watched every position where Jalen was on George. 1st quarter, George got into the paint 4 times and had 2 kick-outs for 3s with one assist. 2nd quarter, he got into the paint twice, no kick-outs. His assist on 3s were outside the perimeter. Jalen was having a hard time with Sexton, not George in that quarter. 3rd quarter George entered the paint twice on Suggs, one due to a fast break and the other was a kick-out hockey assist where Lauri hit the 3. 4th quarter, Jalen comes into he game with less than 3 minutes left and fouls George (which I don't really think was a foul) and then immediately fouls him on the 3. And I stopped caring after that because Suggs took over, hit 3-3s and won us the game.

Look, I do not watch college ball, so I don't care who Orlando draft, so I'm not here to try and squash any excitement of George. I'm just saying that Suggs hounded George all game long. I didn't say he shut him down as a point guard but that he hounded him. Oh and by the way if you're wondering were there positions that Suggs was on George and George really didn't enter the paint--yes, there were quite a few, I just didn't list those because I was looking more of him entering the paint.
I respect that analysis a lot. You nailed it, Suggs is a dog. Suggs is clearly the better player and will likely have the better career. I'm just pushing back against the idea that his clutch time performance is vest worthy given his performance the rest of the game.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM

Post#38 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:57 pm

eyriq wrote:I respect that analysis a lot. You nailed it, Suggs is a dog. Suggs is clearly the better player and will likely have the better career. I'm just pushing back against the idea that his clutch time performance is vest worthy given his performance the rest of the game.

I voted for Paolo for the vest. I was trying to give Suggs his praises for his defense.

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,229

Post#39 » by MagicMatic » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:19 pm

Knightro wrote:29 PTS, 9 REB, 6 AST, 1 STL, 1 BLK, 10-16 FG would probably be the best non-vest winning box score of the season.

There are two types of ways people vote on vest threads.

1- overall stat line. Yeah Paolo never leaves the floor and takes 15-20 shots a game. Everything runs through him. He is option #1 especially if Franz isn’t playing great. Almost to what feels like a detriment at times.

2- impact on the game. We aren’t having a vest thread without 3 3’s in the last 2 minutes of this game.

I’m not saying either way of voting is incorrect. People just pick and choose whenever it fits their agenda.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:49 pm

This vote is so close

Return to Orlando Magic