ImageImageImageImage

Magic is now the 4th seed in the East. Countdown to 50 wins.

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 422

Re: Magic is now the 4th seed in the East. Countdown to 50 wins. 

Post#41 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:20 pm

p0peye wrote:We are still a play-in team from talent perspective which has been propelled to high seed by injuries to key players in several better teams (Sixers, Cavs, Knicks). We are not a contender team until one of Paolo and Franz becomes All-NBA talent level with other being perennial All Star.

Before the season started, I thought that there were only four teams in the East that definitely had more talent than us: Milwaukee, Boston, Cleveland and Philly.

Thats four teams in total and now one of them lost their MVP candidate for a while(Embiid) and so that now leaves only three teams ahead of us.

And where are we now?

We are nestled at the 4th spot, right behind the other three.

I'm not really surprised.

I'm not sure the fan base has fully realized just how good Paolo and Franz are, two 6'10 guys with the skills and iq they have. Both bigger than many centers and almost as big as Giannis.

This is why I'm so critical of the front office because we have a rare opportunity with them. We got to make basketball focused moves that make the team better and it starts with punishing other teams when they double and triple team our stars.

We should not be last in the league in three pointers made when we have guys who draw double teams like this.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,961

Post#42 » by thelead » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:27 pm

I’d love to see how many games our players have missed vs the other teams. I feel like people have already forgotten about our decimated mid December through January stretch.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,562

Post#43 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 7, 2024 4:46 pm

p0peye wrote:We are still a play-in team from talent perspective which has been propelled to high seed by injuries to key players in several better teams (Sixers, Cavs, Knicks). We are not a contender team until one of Paolo and Franz becomes All-NBA talent level with other being perennial All Star.
I don't disagree with this. Looking at ESPN and their playoff basketball power index gives us an idea of East tiers:

Contenders:
Celtics
Bucks

Dark horses:
Cavs
Sixers
Knicks
Heat

Pretenders:
Pacers
Hawks
Magic

Doormats:
Raptors
Nets
Bulls
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer

Post#44 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:32 pm

eyriq wrote:
I don't disagree with this. Looking at ESPN and their playoff basketball power index gives us an idea of East tiers:

Contenders:
Celtics
Bucks

Dark horses:
Cavs
Sixers
Knicks
Heat

Pretenders:
Pacers
Hawks
Magic

Doormats:
Raptors
Nets
Bulls

Well that's just BSPN's opinion
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:35 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Contenders:
Celtics
Bucks

Dark horses:
Cavs
Sixers
Knicks
Heat

Pretenders:
Pacers
Hawks
Magic

Doormats:
Raptors
Nets
Bulls

That's from their analytics team. An objective view.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,230

Post#46 » by MagicMatic » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:38 pm

eyriq wrote:

Contenders:
Celtics
Bucks

Dark horses:
Cavs
Sixers
Knicks
Heat

Pretenders:
Pacers
Hawks
Magic

Doormats:
Raptors
Nets
Bulls

I think we are legitimately better than the Knicks if fully healthy. Probably the Sixers also. 50/50 with Miami.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:46 pm

eyriq wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
eyriq wrote:I don't disagree with this. Looking at ESPN and their playoff basketball power index gives us an idea of East tiers:

Contenders:
Celtics
Bucks

Dark horses:
Cavs
Sixers
Knicks
Heat

Pretenders:
Pacers
Hawks
Magic

Doormats:
Raptors
Nets
Bulls

Okay, care to break that down?

I don't think the Knicks and Miami are *clearly* better than us. Knicks have 16th remaining schedule sos and ours is 22nd.

Miami has the 27th remaining remaining schedule sos but our differential is better than theirs.

Let's just say I believe in Paolo more than Randle since Randle has missed a bunch of time with injury.

This is more of a discussion and there isn't enough here for me to agree that Miami and New York are clearly better than we are.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,044

Post#48 » by p0peye » Thu Mar 7, 2024 6:36 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

Okay, care to break that down?

I don't think the Knicks and Miami are *clearly* better than us. Knicks have 16th remaining schedule sos and ours is 22nd.

Miami has the 27th remaining remaining schedule sos but our differential is better than theirs.

Let's just say I believe in Paolo more than Randle since Randle has missed a bunch of time with injury.

This is more of a discussion and there isn't enough here for me to agree that Miami and New York are clearly better than we are.

So, team talent is measured by strength of schedule metric?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,805

Post#49 » by Knightro » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:10 pm

MagicMatic wrote:I think we are legitimately better than the Knicks if fully healthy. Probably the Sixers also. 50/50 with Miami.

I think fully healthy the Knicks and Sixers are clearly better than the Magic, but I don't think either one of those teams are going to get fully healthy before the playoffs.

As all three teams presently stand, I'd say Orlando is the best of the three.
msmoore66
Pro Prospect
And1: 364

Post#50 » by msmoore66 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:26 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:I think we are legitimately better than the Knicks if fully healthy. Probably the Sixers also. 50/50 with Miami.

I think fully healthy the Knicks and Sixers are clearly better than the Magic, but I don't think either one of those teams are going to get fully healthy before the playoffs.

Yeah a fully healthy Knicks team has a lot of depth too. A lot of needs covered. Big if though.
But, talent is one thing, getting it clicking etc is another (something they were doing even without Randle tbf). Injuries disrupt momentum and i'd say momentum is a huge factor as well.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#51 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:18 pm

msmoore66 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Yeah a fully healthy Knicks team has a lot of depth too. A lot of needs covered. Big if though.
But, talent is one thing, getting it clicking etc is another (something they were doing even without Randle tbf). Injuries disrupt momentum and i'd say momentum is a huge factor as well.

I personally see us as better then the Knicks already and by this time next year better then the Sixers so long as the teams field roughly the same teams.

In a playoff matchup I still think we lose badly. Too many young guns.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#52 » by Residual-Heat » Thu Mar 7, 2024 8:27 pm

They could beat the Knicks, but i wouldnt bet on it. Thibs is an experienced coach. Randle, OG and Brunson are vets. Mitchell and Hartenstein are a strong center rotation. Their team has a lot of experience. I feel like when we get to the play offs, we will be reminded that the Magic are a very young team. Good news is they will have the learning experience and a ton of cap space to improve.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,921

Post#53 » by RookieStar » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:46 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Contenders:
Celtics
Bucks

Dark horses:
Cavs
Sixers
Knicks
Heat

Pretenders:
Pacers
Hawks
Magic

Doormats:
Raptors
Nets
Bulls

I think we are legitimately better than the Knicks if fully healthy. Probably the Sixers also. 50/50 with Miami.

Right now with the injury situation, I think we are BETTER than the Sixers and Knicks... also with Cavs because Mobley is out for a while and DON has been in and out with injuries. MIA though, on paper we should be better than them but in reality we are only at best equal.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by eyriq » Thu Mar 7, 2024 10:14 pm

RookieStar wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
eyriq wrote:I don't disagree with this. Looking at ESPN and their playoff basketball power index gives us an idea of East tiers:

Contenders:
Celtics
Bucks

Dark horses:
Cavs
Sixers
Knicks
Heat

Pretenders:
Pacers
Hawks
Magic

Doormats:
Raptors
Nets
Bulls

Right now with the injury situation, I think we are BETTER than the Sixers and Knicks... also with Cavs because Mobley is out for a while and DON has been in and out with injuries. MIA though, on paper we should be better than them but in reality we are only at best equal.
I love taking the reasonable upside angle. Hence my gif. I try to embrace that approach in my posting.

There is no precedent for a young core to advance in the playoffs. We would be breaking new territory. Shaq and Penny failed their first try, Durant and Westbrook failed their first try, and those are the GOATs of young cores.

Everything tells me we are already shocking the world just getting projected into the high 40's in wins. My brain cannot comprehend a cookie the size of a first round victory.

The implications would be seismic. I'm here for it, I just can't even fathom it
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#55 » by RookieStar » Fri Mar 8, 2024 12:20 am

eyriq wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I love taking the reasonable upside angle. Hence my gif. I try to embrace that approach in my posting.

There is no precedent for a young core to advance in the playoffs. We would be breaking new territory. Shaq and Penny failed their first try, Durant and Westbrook failed their first try, and those are the GOATs of young cores.

Everything tells me we are already shocking the world just getting projected into the high 40's in wins. My brain cannot comprehend a cookie the size of a first round victory.

I agree.. logic states that we can not and should not be in the 2nd round of the POs... except I remember that finals run with d12 where i personally thought with Meers injury we should even be in the ECF... but who knew.. for a CLee miss or fair whistle that finals series would be different.

Right now im just living the moment as well.
mattdelray1220
Sophomore
And1: 93

Post#56 » by mattdelray1220 » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:25 am

RookieStar wrote:
eyriq wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

I agree.. logic states that we can not and should not be in the 2nd round of the POs... except I remember that finals run with d12 where i personally thought with Meers injury we should even be in the ECF... but who knew.. for a CLee miss or fair whistle that finals series would be different.

IF healthy this team can win in the 1st round. It is going to be hard for a team to beat us 4x. Obviously our best match up would be IND. Do not think this is going to happen. NYK would be 2nd best match up. Every time I watch the Magic I expect these young guys to fold and they HAVE NOT! I am so used to it but this group has slowly but surely conditioned me to winning again. I really think we could make a run THIS YEAR. I know we lack playoff experience but we have veterans. WCJ, Kelle, Gary, Ingles. Physical teams do well in the playoffs and that we are. Maybe I am riding this hopium but I think we are very good.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#57 » by RookieStar » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:40 am

mattdelray1220 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
eyriq wrote:I love taking the reasonable upside angle. Hence my gif. I try to embrace that approach in my posting.

IF healthy this team can win in the 1st round. It is going to be hard for a team to beat us 4x. Obviously our best match up would be IND. Do not think this is going to happen. NYK would be 2nd best match up. Every time I watch the Magic I expect these young guys to fold and they HAVE NOT! I am so used to it but this group has slowly but surely conditioned me to winning again. I really think we could make a run THIS YEAR. I know we lack playoff experience but we have veterans. WCJ, Kelle, Gary, Ingles. Physical teams do well in the playoffs and that we are. Maybe I am riding this hopium but I think we are very good.

Agree. We take out Hali and IND cannot function properly. Plus Goga brings his revenge game.

NYK fully healthy though. OG practically has no offense but on defense? He can frustrate Paolo so we better hope Franz can go off.

MIA though... accusations against them of onjuring players esp Kevin Loves sliding underneath has me scared. Not to mention they alwaya foul a lot without being called will frustrate Paolo and Franz who does their damage inside.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,805

Post#58 » by Knightro » Fri Mar 8, 2024 1:41 am

thelead wrote:I’d love to see how many games our players have missed vs the other teams. I feel like people have already forgotten about our decimated mid December through January stretch.

The Magic's best players haven't missed much time though. Paolo, Franz and Suggs combined have only missed 15 games.

The Sixers and Knicks have lost their best players for much longer than the Magic have.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,037

Post#59 » by Driguez » Fri Mar 8, 2024 3:05 am

Pacers and Heat lost tonight
Huevos Bancheros
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by eyriq » Fri Mar 8, 2024 3:16 am

Driguez wrote:Pacers and Heat lost tonight
That's amazing. If we pull it out tomorrow... which I kind of feel like we will...

Return to Orlando Magic