ImageImageImageImage

The odd man out, can Paolo and Franz coexist?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

three3d
Junior
And1: 70

The odd man out, can Paolo and Franz coexist? 

Post#1 » by three3d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:58 pm

Want to start this out by acknowledging the obvious, Franz hasn’t been playing great at all but is still ridiculously talented. Paolo and Franz are both ball dominant players as of right now, now sure if it’s because of the way the team is constructed or that’s just always going to be their style no matter what. But I wonder if this honestly can work for us in the long run. Maybe someone here can answer this, what has happened more this season. Has Paolo and Franz both been on and played great together more than one or both of them being off and playing poorly? Basically are they complementing each other and excelling more together than separate?

If it came down to it, I think most of us would agree to keep Paolo over Franz and build around him. This is a relevant question because I do believe Franz plus draft picks or added pieces would net us a nice package of what we need. The question is just can they both be great and coexist on this team together at the same time?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,805

Re: The odd man out, can Paolo and Franz coexist? 

Post#2 » by Knightro » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:00 pm

Yes.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,835

Post#3 » by Rainwater » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:09 pm

Yes, lol. They are only 21 and 22, let’s wait before coming to any conclusions.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,961

Post#4 » by thelead » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:14 pm

Franz is not going anywhere. He just needs to work on his 3pt shot and FTr. Everything else is good to phenomenal. He needs to spend a few summers working on his game instead of playing for his national team though.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#5 » by CocoaFan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:24 pm

thelead wrote:Franz is not going anywhere. He just needs to work on his 3pt shot and FTr. Everything else is good to phenomenal. He needs to spend a few summers working on his game instead of playing for his national team though.
Agree with this.
I don't really think Franz is a ball dominant player by nature. I think he's been told he needs to be more aggressive because we really don't have other options. I think Franz is the ultimate connector type 2 way player and if he improves his 3 point shot and develops his pull up game he will be an all-star and the perfect fit next to Paolo.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,562

Post#6 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:20 pm

I'm calling it now. Franz is going to play better than Paolo in the playoffs, get more vest points, and everyone that's sold any stock in Franz is going to fall back in love. We are too smart a community on average to hold a bad Franz take for too long.

An interesting question though is what kind of precedent do we have for a championship core being comprised of playmaking wings? Personally, I think there's obvious synergy between having two 6'10 stars handling the bulk of playmaking duties. It allows amazing flexibility in terms of building around them.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,014

Post#7 » by Last Guardian » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:20 pm

A couple losses and people really start to lose it don't they

Both have nice numbers but have a lot they can improve on. We need more time to make these decisions.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,231

Post#8 » by MagicMatic » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:24 pm

Yes they can.

It's the supporting cast and it starts with a point guard and a Center.
three3d
Junior

Post#9 » by three3d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:40 pm

Last Guardian wrote:A couple losses and people really start to lose it don't they

Both have nice numbers but have a lot they can improve on. We need more time to make these decisions.

This isn’t because of some losses, I truly was curious about the amount of times this season they have both played great games at the same time.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#10 » by Message Boar » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:41 pm

Yes, that many other teams have such trouble matching up with them at the same time is one of our big advantages.

Franz just needs to get his 3p% up to 36% or higher.
three3d
Junior

Post#11 » by three3d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:46 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Yes they can.

It's the supporting cast and it starts with a point guard and a Center.

I agree , the supporting cast is a huge issue and has to change. But what does that change look like? I believe a lot of this is because of the offense Mosley has them running, lots of Paolo and Franz creating their own shots. Three point shooters will definitely open up the floor, and spread out defenders leaving the paint less crowded for Franz and Paolo to do what they do well. With them having to play so ball dominant right now what would a capable point guard be for this team? Something would have to change, and what’s the change going to be?
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#12 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:51 pm

Yeah we are fine.

2 playoff intensity level importance games. 2 losses. This in theory tracks for such a young core.

We are fine. We are neither over-performing or under-performing the last 2. We are somewhere between "exceeds expectations" regular season wise, and "needs improvement" at playoff level intensity games.

My goodness though Paolo + Franz can only do so much.
three3d
Junior

Post#13 » by three3d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:56 pm

I’m not against Franz and Paolo as a duo at all. For them to both be the best version of themselves at the same time though for us something has to change. I known they are still 21 & 22 year old kids almost , it’s actually scary what they could be together in 4-5 years.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#14 » by tiderulz » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:59 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
thelead wrote:Franz is not going anywhere. He just needs to work on his 3pt shot and FTr. Everything else is good to phenomenal. He needs to spend a few summers working on his game instead of playing for his national team though.
Agree with this.
I don't really think Franz is a ball dominant player by nature. I think he's been told he needs to be more aggressive because we really don't have other options. I think Franz is the ultimate connector type 2 way player and if he improves his 3 point shot and develops his pull up game he will be an all-star and the perfect fit next to Paolo.

this is how i see it. I dont see his game as ball dominant and as to co-existing, when ive seen Franz really hot, Paolo doesnt demand the ball more and gives it to Franz so no issue there either
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:59 pm

eyriq wrote:I'm calling it now. Franz is going to play better than Paolo in the playoffs, get more vest points, and everyone that's sold any stock in Franz is going to fall back in love. We are too smart a community on average to hold a bad Franz take for too long.

An interesting question though is what kind of precedent do we have for a championship core being comprised of playmaking wings? Personally, I think there's obvious synergy between having two 6'10 stars handling the bulk of playmaking duties. It allows amazing flexibility in terms of building around them.

Im calling it now that Paolo will play better. but then, we have to define what better really means
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#16 » by tiderulz » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:01 pm

three3d wrote:I’m not against Franz and Paolo as a duo at all. For them to both be the best version of themselves at the same time though for us something has to change. I known they are still 21 & 22 year old kids almost , it’s actually scary what they could be together in 4-5 years.

and that change should be some legit guards. Get a legit PG to play next to Suggs and with them, skies the limit
three3d
Junior

Post#17 » by three3d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:01 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Yeah we are fine.

2 playoff intensity level importance games. 2 losses. This in theory tracks for such a young core.

We are fine. We are neither over-performing or under-performing the last 2. We are somewhere between "exceeds expectations" regular season wise, and "needs improvement" at playoff level intensity games.

My goodness though Paolo + Franz can only do so much.

They are being asked to do just about everything on their own honestly. That’s lot for anyone, much less a 21 & 22 year old. Sometimes being asked to do that much doesn’t work out in the long run, not because they can’t but maybe because they get tired of it. Winning can fix a lot, but that’s something the franchise has never fully reached fully and some front office decisions have to leave you scratching your head.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,562

Post#18 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:06 pm

tiderulz wrote:
eyriq wrote:I'm calling it now. Franz is going to play better than Paolo in the playoffs, get more vest points, and everyone that's sold any stock in Franz is going to fall back in love. We are too smart a community on average to hold a bad Franz take for too long.

Im calling it now that Paolo will play better. but then, we have to define what better really means
Touche! Course we'll settle on the best advanced metric out there, sweater vest points.
three3d
Junior

Post#19 » by three3d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:08 pm

tiderulz wrote:
three3d wrote:I’m not against Franz and Paolo as a duo at all. For them to both be the best version of themselves at the same time though for us something has to change. I known they are still 21 & 22 year old kids almost , it’s actually scary what they could be together in 4-5 years.

and that change should be some legit guards. Get a legit PG to play next to Suggs and with them, skies the limit

Joe Ingles runs a pretty pick and roll game with Mo, I’d love to see a starting point guard develop that chemistry with Paolo on a pick and roll/pick and pop. So is it going to take that type of guard to come in and help Paolo and Franz reach that next level? Whoever that point guard is running pick and rolls with Paolo & Franz both spotting up and cutting to the rim with a 3pt sniper lurking out on the wing wide open.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#20 » by fendilim » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:12 pm

Match made in heaven

Return to Orlando Magic