ImageImageImageImage

Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,419

Re: Can Magic keep this team together? How can Magic be in contention? 

Post#81 » by PrimeThyme » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:43 pm

Paolo is untouchable. Everyone else is potentially moveable in my eyes. Suggs value to us is greater than what I think we'd get back in a trade, so I wouldn't look to move him yet.

Franz, on the other hand, is probably our best pathway to an elite backcourt player. For me, it would still need to be an elite player. Such as Dallas flaming out of the playoffs and Doncic becoming available. Garland isn't a 1:1 to Franz for me but I wouldn't be opposed to making a move for an elite shooter/playmaker like him in the right deal, but it needs to be that caliber of player combined with youth.

We are definitely going to have to be open to being flexible with this roster at some point. For now, I'm comfortable with taking the Tatum/Brown Celtics route with growing with Paolo/Franz and moving all the assets around them until we maximize the fit. I'd start that process next summer, however.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,175

Post#82 » by zaymon » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:03 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:Paolo is untouchable. Everyone else is potentially moveable in my eyes. Suggs value to us is greater than what I think we'd get back in a trade, so I wouldn't look to move him yet.

Franz, on the other hand, is probably our best pathway to an elite backcourt player. For me, it would still need to be an elite player. Such as Dallas flaming out of the playoffs and Doncic becoming available. Garland isn't a 1:1 to Franz for me but I wouldn't be opposed to making a move for an elite shooter/playmaker like him in the right deal, but it needs to be that caliber of player combined with youth.

We are definitely going to have to be open to being flexible with this roster at some point. For now, I'm comfortable with taking the Tatum/Brown Celtics route with growing with Paolo/Franz and moving all the assets around them until we maximize the fit. I'd start that process next summer, however.

If we ever make a move for Doncic it will be Banchero moving not Wagner imo.
Doncic with Paolo makes little sense.
Franz was our best overall player this season and it was not that close. He just needs offseason to work on his jumper.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#83 » by Residual-Heat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:15 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Let me start off by saying I know this is very unlikely, but what if they were willing to sign more team friendly contracts to stay together and build something special?

Suggs always talks about his mental health and how he enjoys being around this group. I can see him choosing stability and a winning team over money.

Franz might want to stay with Mo. You know these brothers are very close. They still live together, and these European players are more likely to sacrifice money.

Paolo lets hope there's enough Euro in him to also be willing to sacrifice :lol:. He's an unselfish guy.

Maybe Isaac can find it in his christian heart to show loyalty to a team that stuck by him through the injuries? :lol:

Like i said, very unlikely, but maybe not impossible.
These guys could all take team friendly deals but nothing ridiculous and way off market value. Once they're all signed to extensions we won't be saving enough to have cap space for a game changing FA. I'm not sure if that was what you were hoping for with the team friendly deals.

Just want to keep this core together and have a good supporting cast around them.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,031

Post#84 » by fendilim » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:57 am

Skybox wrote:
fendilim wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
Then you think this summer is the best chance to sign some Asset? I'd prefer Molik Monk since he is young and more dynamic offensive player than Klay. But I just do not know if he wants to come to Orlando.

Klay wants to get paid. This is probably his last contract. He will demand more years. 1+1 won't cut it. Plus Magic has to overpay
it really is, the window to use our cap space to add valuable pieces is closing, imo.

Monk would probably cost more

Monk will cost much less than Klay. GSW will overpay to keep him- that now looks like 25 (which they offered)…that’s about what he’s worth nowadays. If another team pays much more to steal him from his beloved home…that’s a bad investment. He’s got no reason to take a 1+1 either unless it’s for FVV money or to stay in GSW-with contracts ending along with Steph & Draymond. Not the right move for us…he’s become Grayson Allen with a HOF resume behind him. Very good player and person, but really in need of reality (cap hit) check this summer…go home Klay.

Someone listed all of the teams with cap space to sign Monk for 20-25m…very few and none make sense like us. SAC can’t pay him market value so also can’t facilitate a SnT either…I think he’s ours if the FO wants him and doesn’t play games in approaching him in typical non-aggressive posture. Historically, you go at a guy like that when the FA bell goes off and let him know he’s the priority. I’m just not sure he’s enough- but he’s the best among UFA’s, imo. Smells like Rashard Lewis situation…if you think he’s THE answer- pay the man.

Murray, Garland, or even Trae would be the kind of summer that catapult ORL forward into national relevance. Mitchell too, but the flight risk is too much for me…he and Trae (even Klay) would also likely disrupt the team dynamic more so than the others, for better or worse, as they would step right in as clear “boss”. That’s a risk but not necessarily a deal-breaker…maybe we’re seeing that, for all of our young stars-in-the-making, we still need a “boss” to make the leap. Murray will be available, assuming Trae isn’t, and if Mitchell commits to CLE, Garland could become the low-key best guy available- and an absolutely amazing potential player for ORL.

I’d be happy with Monk…but I hope they quietly sniff around bigger fish first.

Hartenstein? Whatever…like Tyus, nice player, would be a good add if on a realistic role-player deal, but no tremors around the league.

Well, isn’t a Grayson Allen kind of player something we need?

If we sign Klay, we don’t need him to play the role he had with the Warriors. We’re paying him to just space the floor and veteran leadership. Because at the end of the day, opponents will still defend him because he is Klay Thompson.

Of all the options you mentioned (Murray, Garland, Mitchell), I like Murray the most. I think Murray is in line with the vision of Weltman about having positional size. Especially with the small ball era coming to a close to be replaced by the unicorn era, having positional size is important. Moreso with the arrival of Wemby.

Monk is someone who I really really like. He is capable to of being the primary scorer when Franz/Paolo is struggling. His strength is coming off the bench, and he can be that on this team. A dynamic scorer that can change the game easily, and having a lineup of Suggs/Monk/Franz/Paolo/Isaac would help us become contenders, imo.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,674

Post#85 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:04 am

fendilim wrote:
Skybox wrote:
fendilim wrote:it really is, the window to use our cap space to add valuable pieces is closing, imo.

Monk would probably cost more

Monk will cost much less than Klay. GSW will overpay to keep him- that now looks like 25 (which they offered)…that’s about what he’s worth nowadays. If another team pays much more to steal him from his beloved home…that’s a bad investment. He’s got no reason to take a 1+1 either unless it’s for FVV money or to stay in GSW-with contracts ending along with Steph & Draymond. Not the right move for us…he’s become Grayson Allen with a HOF resume behind him. Very good player and person, but really in need of reality (cap hit) check this summer…go home Klay.

Someone listed all of the teams with cap space to sign Monk for 20-25m…very few and none make sense like us. SAC can’t pay him market value so also can’t facilitate a SnT either…I think he’s ours if the FO wants him and doesn’t play games in approaching him in typical non-aggressive posture. Historically, you go at a guy like that when the FA bell goes off and let him know he’s the priority. I’m just not sure he’s enough- but he’s the best among UFA’s, imo. Smells like Rashard Lewis situation…if you think he’s THE answer- pay the man.

Murray, Garland, or even Trae would be the kind of summer that catapult ORL forward into national relevance. Mitchell too, but the flight risk is too much for me…he and Trae (even Klay) would also likely disrupt the team dynamic more so than the others, for better or worse, as they would step right in as clear “boss”. That’s a risk but not necessarily a deal-breaker…maybe we’re seeing that, for all of our young stars-in-the-making, we still need a “boss” to make the leap. Murray will be available, assuming Trae isn’t, and if Mitchell commits to CLE, Garland could become the low-key best guy available- and an absolutely amazing potential player for ORL.

I’d be happy with Monk…but I hope they quietly sniff around bigger fish first.

Hartenstein? Whatever…like Tyus, nice player, would be a good add if on a realistic role-player deal, but no tremors around the league.

Well, isn’t a Grayson Allen kind of player something we need?

If we sign Klay, we don’t need him to play the role he had with the Warriors. We’re paying him to just space the floor and veteran leadership. Because at the end of the day, opponents will still defend him because he is Klay Thompson.

Of all the options you mentioned (Murray, Garland, Mitchell), I like Murray the most. I think Murray is in line with the vision of Weltman about having positional size. Especially with the small ball era coming to a close to be replaced by the unicorn era, having positional size is important. Moreso with the arrival of Wemby.

Monk is someone who I really really like. He is capable to of being the primary scorer when Franz/Paolo is struggling. His strength is coming off the bench, and he can be that on this team. A dynamic scorer that can change the game easily, and having a lineup of Suggs/Monk/Franz/Paolo/Isaac would help us become contenders, imo.

The point is, Klay is Grayson Allen getting paid like Dejounte (who is MUCH better). That’s the case even assuming a substantial cut in pay for Klay. He’s going back to GSW on a slight overpay or to ORL on a foolish overpay
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 589

Post#86 » by MasterGMer » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:22 pm

Then the debate goes to do we sign a star out of Free Agency or we trade for a superstar, like Donovan Mitchell, Trae Young or Giannis?

But whatever the possibilities are. I think this trade or signing will define our rebuild. Because we have all the young talents, Franz, Suggs and Paolo. We just need that firepower to elevate us to contention. And to me, that is what this offseason is going to bring to Magic
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#87 » by MasterGMer » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:19 pm

It is apparent that Magic needs a PG and a defensive big who can protect the rim and rebound. Let's just say we get Nic Claxton and Molik Monk. Is that still enough to put Magic in the contender rank of the Eastern Conference? What about down the line when we have to give Franz and Paolo a max extension. Do we pay luxury tax then? Interesting scenario
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,020

Post#88 » by p0peye » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:04 pm

This thread needs to decide if we want to keep this team together or we want to be in contention.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#89 » by MasterGMer » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:11 pm

p0peye wrote:This thread needs to decide if we want to keep this team together or we want to be in contention.

When I said "keeping the team together", it just meant Franz, Paolo and Suggs, maybe JI.

If we encounter a star on the move, I am also fine of us moving maybe Suggs or Franz.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,432

Post#90 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:41 pm

p0peye wrote:This thread needs to decide if we want to keep this team together or we want to be in contention.
Lotto talent on their rookie scale contracts:
Suggs, Franz, Paolo, AB, Jett

Other rookie scale contracts:
Caleb

Role players on multi-year deals:
Cole, WCJ

Role players on one year deals:
JI, Moritz, Ingles

Expiring:
Fultz, Harris, Okeke, Goga

We are positioned for a major shakeup
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 696

Post#91 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:14 pm

eyriq wrote:
Lotto talent on their rookie scale contracts:
Suggs, Franz, Paolo, AB, Jett

Other rookie scale contracts:
Caleb

Role players on multi-year deals:
Cole, WCJ

Role players on one year deals:
JI, Moritz, Ingles

Expiring:
Fultz, Harris, Okeke, Goga

We are positioned for a major shakeup

The core has been identified, I believe the rookie contracts are part of the core.

The expirings are the "let's see what we do here".

The one year role players will be the evaluation players. Of which Mo / Isaac are punching above weight and Ingles is disappointing in the playoffs thus far.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#92 » by MasterGMer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:11 am

I already saw the debate in another thread of how we going to pay for 3 Max contracts possibly with Suggs, Franz and Paolo. I do not know whether that is feasible and how we gonna do it still retaining the flexibility to add pieces to improve the team.

Also Milwaukee Bucks is down 3 to 1 to Indiana and it mostly looks like they are heading a first round exit again. Could Giannis become available? I know it is still a long shot. But I would understand his frustration. Who would you give up for Giannis? 3 FRPs plus Suggs or Franz?
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,501

Post#93 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:08 am

MasterGMer wrote:I already saw the debate in another thread of how we going to pay for 3 Max contracts possibly with Suggs, Franz and Paolo. I do not know whether that is feasible and how we gonna do it still retaining the flexibility to add pieces to improve the team.

Also Milwaukee Bucks is down 3 to 1 to Indiana and it mostly looks like they are heading a first round exit again. Could Giannis become available? I know it is still a long shot. But I would understand his frustration. Who would you give up for Giannis? 3 FRPs plus Suggs or Franz?

He's not leaving Milwaukee.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,275

Post#94 » by JBSouthpaw » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:57 pm

Keep it together.
You don't trade 2 way starters.
Our team is close to being full of them.
PB, Franz and Suggs are there. above average on both
WCJ, JI are close. Average on O, above on D.
If you look at all the NBA Champs, it's about 2 way players
DEN - Jokic, AG, Murray
LAL - Bron & AD
GS - Thompson & Green
etc..
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#95 » by MasterGMer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:12 pm

I know Magic needs a PG. Some has bought up Tyus Jones. But what about James Harden? If we somehow want to overpay for Malik Monk, what about James Harden? Dude had 33 last night. He could be the perfect piece for us to level up. A dominate offensive PG plus he is a veteran. I know I might be among the minority to want him. But he could be very realistic.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Post#96 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:11 am

MasterGMer wrote:I know Magic needs a PG. Some has bought up Tyus Jones. But what about James Harden? If we somehow want to overpay for Malik Monk, what about James Harden? Dude had 33 last night. He could be the perfect piece for us to level up. A dominate offensive PG plus he is a veteran. I know I might be among the minority to want him. But he could be very realistic.

What is with naming random top 50 guys that would never come to Orlando willingly and want to win championships?

Do you draw these names out of a hat every week?

Why dont we draft Bronny for Lebron James?
Why dont we go all in for Kevin Durant? He definitely has a track record of going to young unproven teams !
Why not Brad Beal? His season is over right?
How about Paul George hes sooner to win in Orlando than a stacked Clippers team right?
Lets put a massive package together for Trae Young! Who cares what it costs!
Surely Jimmy Butler will leave Miami for Orlando!
Zach Lavine sucks and is overpaid! Lets get him!
Booker only has 5 years left on his deal. Lets trade scraps for him!

I saved you a few posts now so you dont have to ask these questions.

The answer for most, if not all, of them is that Orlando is a small market that doesn't give them the best chance to win compared to their current situations, or other more attractive cities, with multi time established allstars. Thats why. Players have agency now. This isn't the 80's. Orlando isn't Los Angeles.

I'm not sure how else to explain that in every other question about Donovan Mitchell, Giannis, or legitimate Trae Young question you ask. Tyus Jones and Monk are actually attainable for this reason. We arent living in a 2k simulation.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#97 » by MasterGMer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:55 am

MagicMatic wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:I know Magic needs a PG. Some has bought up Tyus Jones. But what about James Harden? If we somehow want to overpay for Malik Monk, what about James Harden? Dude had 33 last night. He could be the perfect piece for us to level up. A dominate offensive PG plus he is a veteran. I know I might be among the minority to want him. But he could be very realistic.

What is with naming random top 50 guys that would never come to Orlando willingly and want to win championships?

Why dont we go all in for Kevin Durant? He definitely has a track record of going to young unproven teams !
How about Paul George hes sooner to win in Orlando than a stacked Clippers team right?

The answer for most, if not all, of them is that Orlando is a small market that doesn't give them the best chance to win compared to their current situations, or other more attractive cities, with multi time established allstars. Thats why. Players have agency now. This isn't the 80's. Orlando isn't Los Angeles.

I'm not sure how else to explain that in every other question about Donovan Mitchell, Giannis, or legitimate Trae Young question you ask. Tyus Jones and Monk are actually attainable for this reason. We arent living in a 2k simulation.

I know James Harden most likely won't come to Orlando. But if we could entice Malik Monk, at least, we can give it a try, right?

James Harden is a PG. Less ball dominate PG than his Houston days. But he is capable. Don't you think player like him can take this young team to the next level faster? He is an elite Pick and Roll player and he is a very good playmaker. Isn't that all Magic needs?

Plus the situation in Orlando is much better than before. We are super young with all our Top 3 players under 23 years old. James Harden is not a fool and he knows with his addition how far this team can go in the playoff.

He is exactly what kind of player we need. Again, I do understand Orlando is a small market. But this situation is the most selling point I can see to free agent this summer. Of course, PG won't come here. But James Harden, why not?

IMO I'd give it a shot. BTW no to KD, no to Booker and no to Trae Young.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,096

Post#98 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:19 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I know James Harden most likely won't come to Orlando. But if we could entice Malik Monk, at least, we can give it a try, right?

James Harden is a PG. Less ball dominate PG than his Houston days. But he is capable. Don't you think player like him can take this young team to the next level faster? He is an elite Pick and Roll player and he is a very good playmaker. Isn't that all Magic needs?

Plus the situation in Orlando is much better than before. We are super young with all our Top 3 players under 23 years old. James Harden is not a fool and he knows with his addition how far this team can go in the playoff.

He is exactly what kind of player we need. Again, I do understand Orlando is a small market. But this situation is the most selling point I can see to free agent this summer. Of course, PG won't come here. But James Harden, why not?

IMO I'd give it a shot. BTW no to KD, no to Booker and no to Trae Young.

Not only is there a 0% chance Harden wants to be in Orlando. The FO didn’t just spend 3-4 years of collecting assets to push their chips in for a 34 year old drama queen that has accomplished nothing outside of individual accolades. They would sooner make a minor tweak to the roster rather than overpaying a guy like Harden.

Yeah, the skillset makes sense. That’s about it.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 696

Post#99 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed May 1, 2024 1:05 pm

I don't think we will have any problem keeping the team together and that is part of the issue. We need to upgrade pieces.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,830

Post#100 » by SOUL » Wed May 1, 2024 1:47 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:I don't think we will have any problem keeping the team together and that is part of the issue. We need to upgrade pieces.

I don't think they're married to people outside of Paolo/Franz/Suggs/Isaac. Shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not someone who believes their inactivity has been tied to "family" and cohesiveness as they're preached. Like, it's nice that they're a brotherhood, but it's easy to sell that when you're rebuilding and a lot of the guys are around the same age. Of course they're gonna get along. The next 2-3-4 years will definitely have a different feel as they've tasted a playoff series and know they can give these teams a run for their money.

I also don't think the were trying to cash in assets and investing in bringing in people too soon if they feel like it'll take a few years to even reap the rewards of it anyway. Might as well just do it with the young core that got us here anyway for the first year or two and then cash it in (gearing towards 2025/2026). Can easily end up in a current Cavs situation with a Mitchell with his foot halfway out of the door because there's still a lot of young guys on the Cavs learning to win, and they're still not looked at as contenders.

Jokic said it best here:

Read on Twitter

Return to Orlando Magic