ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Re: NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion) 

Post#1521 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue May 7, 2024 2:24 pm

Fortune Teller wrote:Ant Edwards is 22. Same as Franz and Suggs. I guess Welt would say the Wolves are “skipping steps” by trying to win now.

They already had vets on that team for some time. We don't really have vets, at least reliable ones.
aka: prorl
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#1522 » by ogmagicfan » Tue May 7, 2024 6:05 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
What execlly are you refering to?

Lakers beat them 4 years ago, since that point, Nuggets have beaten them 8 times in 9 playoff games.

Nuggets at that point were starting Millsup, Jeremy Grant and Gary Harris, that team is nothing like team that won championship ( pretty much 3 out of 5 starters changed).

Wolves lost to Nuggets- last year- in first round, in quick 5 games, with exect same team.

Last year Murray averaged 27 ppg on near 50-45 splits, this year he is off to a 12 ppg ,28% FG start.

In theory, yes , Jokic can be bothered by "lot of size & lenght", but in reality, Nuggets played closer game when Gobert did play, than in this game, where Gobert didn't play at all, and Jokic scored less points.
And once again, if you go back to last year's series, Jokic averaged 26-12-9 on 50-50 splits against same Wovles.

Jokic is best player in basketball, by far, but Nuggets play like a** and should be eliminated fast if they continue to play like they did in game 2.

I'm referring to size/athleticism/defense being the answer to slowing down the Nuggets, not only just for Jokic but the Nuggets team as a whole

Lakers also have lacked a consistent 3 man rotation of athletic size since the bubble when they beat the Nuggets and over time have let go of defensive talent at guards (Caruso, KCP) over time as well

Wolves team last yr never got the opportunity to develop chemistry together due to KAT injury causing him to miss 53 games and when he came back at the end of the season he only got to play 8 games before they entered the playoffs.

Not only that, but Jaden McDaniels & Naz Reid were both didnt play that series.

The adjustment of Ant on Jamal Murray was a great decision as well

I don't disagree that its confusing that they beat them worse with no Gobert, but if there was no Gobert for the series I'd think the Nuggets would comeback.

Jokic is the best player in the NBA but I dont think being the best player is enough to overcome the best defense in the NBA, particularly one that's built like this

Yea i dig that, in general it's probably way harder to repeat a title than win it first time because motivation level probably isn't there no matter how much you try to hype yourself up.

Maybe this nutslapping will wake them up. Maybe they simply don't have horses for another title this year. Who knows.

I agree that Wolves are most "anti Nuggets" team out there.

I kind a hope for Wolves v Boston now, they went to OT in both games in regular season.

Yeah its gonna be rough for the Nuggets with their contract situation going forward

They have made some good draft picks recently, and they own their 1sts moving forward outside of their 2025 & 2027 picks.

They're gonna have to make some trades to beef their bench/potentially replace KCP this offseason.

The Wolves/Celtics games were some of the best regular season games this year, and both teams treated it like it was the playoffs each time. That series should be great.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,793

Post#1523 » by Skybox » Tue May 7, 2024 7:01 pm

tiderulz wrote:Wolves played with great defensive intensity, but something I have noticed this year, im not seeing quite as much ticky-tack stuff and the refs are letting them play more handsy and play through contact. That means sometimes people are "fouled" whether legit or flopping, but i kind of like it. That said, there are some obvious calls that are wrong, but overall I like the action. They just need to call it the same for both teams.

this has obviously benefitted ORL too (except for Donovan Mitchell :banghead: )...we're not that far off. A significant RELIABLE backcourt scorer to keep defenses honest and give Paolo & Franz just enough help and easy baskets and, perhaps, a defensively-upgraded big and I think we're right there in a couple of years of continued growth and big-game experience. If our starting backcourt was Suggs and SimonsMonkMurray or just about any legit Lead Guard, CLE is home watching ORL play tonight...probably in 5 or 6 games.

Very very obvious areas for improvement and very very obvious targets. ORL might be the right kind of defensive team at the right time in NBA (refereeing) history. "Bad Boys 2.0?"
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,082

Post#1524 » by SOUL » Tue May 7, 2024 8:08 pm

Fortune Teller wrote:Ant Edwards is 22. Same as Franz and Suggs. I guess Welt would say the Wolves are “skipping steps” by trying to win now.

Ignoring that this is also his 4th year in the league, he also went out in the first round last year, just like Franz and Suggs this year. We also basically have three Anthony Edwards young players in the starting lineup, not one.

This isn't to say we shouldn't try to go hard this offseason, but the Wolves aren't in some crazy timeline jump either. West is more competitive so that plays a part, but again, if they had as many young players as we do.. they wouldn't be in the same position either. They have one young guy who is making a jump to elite.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,923

Post#1525 » by RookieStar » Tue May 7, 2024 9:17 pm

NYK have been gifted 2 games this entire POs so far with the refs help. That mugging of Maxey and the one against IND game 1. Hope next POs it will be our turn for that whistle. LMAO
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1526 » by RookieStar » Tue May 7, 2024 9:18 pm

SOUL wrote:

Ignoring that this is also his 4th year in the league, he also went out in the first round last year, just like Franz and Suggs this year. We also basically have three Anthony Edwards young players in the starting lineup, not one.

This isn't to say we shouldn't try to go hard this offseason, but the Wolves aren't in some crazy timeline jump either. West is more competitive so that plays a part, but again, if they had as many young players as we do.. they wouldn't be in the same position either. They have one young guy who is making a jump to elite.

Yup. Ant is surrounded by PO vets as well.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,857

Post#1527 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:36 pm

Watching the Boston vs. Cavs game and I'm still bummed that it's not Orlando playing right now.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,954

Post#1528 » by ChosenSavior » Tue May 7, 2024 11:40 pm

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Watching the Boston vs. Cavs game and I'm still bummed that it's not Orlando playing right now.

Same :(
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,082

Post#1529 » by SOUL » Tue May 7, 2024 11:47 pm

ChosenSavior wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Watching the Boston vs. Cavs game and I'm still bummed that it's not Orlando playing right now.

It's weird.. I like watching with no stress but would've been fun to see how they play against Boston.

Their offense is a bit too good imo
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,954

Post#1530 » by ChosenSavior » Tue May 7, 2024 11:49 pm

SOUL wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:

It's weird.. I like watching with no stress but would've been fun to see how they play against Boston.

Oh for sure. Cleveland is basically playing a final form version of the Magic. If only our guards could hit open jumpers on the road :cry:
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,857

Post#1531 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:50 pm

SOUL wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:

If only we won game 5. :banghead: Even though Orlando would have struggled offensively, I just wanted to see if Paolo and Franz would have stepped up in the Boston series.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
Magic-man4609
Sophomore
And1: 85

Post#1532 » by Magic-man4609 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:12 am

Same here. My heart still heavy. Orlando would’ve been a tougher match up.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,579

Post#1533 » by ivDT » Wed May 8, 2024 1:03 am

darius garland's hairline annoys me. really hope they get swept.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1534 » by RookieStar » Wed May 8, 2024 1:07 am

ChosenSavior wrote:
SOUL wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:

Oh for sure. Cleveland is basically playing a final form version of the Magic. If only our guards could hit open jumpers on the road :cry:

Kinda differeny though. They rely on their tiny but speedy backcourt while we rely on our huge forwards. Plus we have JI who can cover Tatum...
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,387

Post#1535 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:07 am

Game got out of Mavs hands in span of like 3 min.
Midway through 3rd they were down by 2, within next 3 min, down by 15.

OKC probably won't shoot 50% for 3 on near 40 attemps tho but Dallas struggled to rebound and turned the ball over too much.

I have no clue wtf happened to Derrick White. How near 30 yeras old role player goes into megastar mode out of nowhere? Anyway, feeling good about my Celtics pick for a title.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,558

Post#1536 » by ibraheim718 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:14 am

pepe1991 wrote:Game got out of Mavs hands in span of like 3 min.

OKC probably won't shoot 50% for 3 on near 40 attemps tho but Dallas struggled to rebound and turned the ball over too much.

I have no clue wtf happened to Derrick White. How near 30 yeras old role player goes into megastar mode out of nowhere? Anyway, feeling good about my Celtics pick for a title.

Because players can get better. but you don't believe that member? :lol: :lol:
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1537 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2024 5:42 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Game got out of Mavs hands in span of like 3 min.

Because players can get better. but you don't believe that member? :lol: :lol:

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,793

Post#1538 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 11:41 am

ivDT wrote:darius garland's hairline annoys me. really hope they get swept.

by Derrick White? :D
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 130

Post#1539 » by byeganyo » Wed May 8, 2024 12:44 pm

pepe1991 wrote:I have no clue wtf happened to Derrick White. How near 30 yeras old role player goes into megastar mode out of nowhere? Anyway, feeling good about my Celtics pick for a title.

A career 36% 3pt shooter (39,6% this season -2,7 3pt made) is shooting 50% all of a sudden (4,7 3pt made per game)
It's not susteinable - but then again last playoffs he shot better any regular season in his career so far.

On the other hand - what is happenning to Tatum?
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1540 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2024 3:17 pm

byeganyo wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I have no clue wtf happened to Derrick White. How near 30 yeras old role player goes into megastar mode out of nowhere? Anyway, feeling good about my Celtics pick for a title.

A career 36% 3pt shooter (39,6% this season -2,7 3pt made) is shooting 50% all of a sudden (4,7 3pt made per game)
It's not susteinable - but then again last playoffs he shot better any regular season in his career so far.

On the other hand - what is happenning to Tatum?

Shooting bricks for 3. But still teams focus him on defense, and that probably leaves way too much room for White to hit open jumpers.

Return to Orlando Magic