ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,556

Re: NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion) 

Post#1441 » by eyriq » Thu May 2, 2024 3:24 am

Miami has had quite the run with Butler over the last 5 seasons. Will be interesting to see how they re-tool around him, the window is closing. Their biggest issue is availability.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,781

Post#1442 » by Skybox » Thu May 2, 2024 3:40 am

RookieStar wrote:
Skybox wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Yeah... wonder what MIA will do in the offseason. Hope qe are the top dogs in our division next seqson again.

I know what they WONT do…discuss organic development as the path forward

They rather ask for lopsided trades ( Dame for Herro plus picks?? ) or draft 24 yr old rookies....

They make a lot of moves. They thought Dame was sewed up- he specified MIA and MIL swooped when MIA overplayed their leverage. I wish we had their 24 yr old rookie instead our lotto dnp stars.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,556

Post#1443 » by eyriq » Thu May 2, 2024 3:51 am

Skybox wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Skybox wrote:

They rather ask for lopsided trades ( Dame for Herro plus picks?? ) or draft 24 yr old rookies....

They make a lot of moves. They thought Dame was sewed up- he specified MIA and MIL swooped when MIA overplayed their leverage. I wish we had their 24 yr old rookie instead our lotto dnp stars.
I would definitely not prefer a 24 year old rookie when our core is 21, 22, and 22 years old. Younger = more potential
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,762

Post#1444 » by ogmagicfan » Thu May 2, 2024 3:57 am

I cant in good faith give Paul George a 4 yr max contract. He goes missing too often in playoff games & his health has been shaky past couple seasons
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,916

Post#1445 » by RookieStar » Thu May 2, 2024 3:59 am

Skybox wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Skybox wrote:

You mean a 24 yr old rookie who coach would have warming up the bench? You know he will still start Gary and play Fultz...
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1446 » by Skybox » Thu May 2, 2024 4:04 am

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

I would definitely not prefer a 24 year old rookie when our core is 21, 22, and 22 years old. Younger = more potential

Younger means crapshoot…more bust potential as well as unseen upside. Nothing wrong with drafting what you can see…2 lotto GUARD picks who BOTH don’t play on a team with an impotent backcourt takes a lot of rationalizing to be excited about huge upside. Jacquez is for real.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,229

Post#1447 » by cedric76 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:54 am

Skybox wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Too short minded, why r you givings up so early on our 2 rookies, Jett was a draft and stash player.

If Jett was entering the draft this year with the stats he produce in g league, you d be begging for us to draft him with a lottery pick

You gave up on suggs too and see what happened, just be patient

I bet you that you ll rave about Jett next season
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,381

Post#1448 » by pepe1991 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:56 am

Difference in fundamental approach toward sports .

Clippers- Mavs game, Clippers home court, down by 30, people dancing in arena during time outs in game that is probably series-ending loss.

Borussia Dortmunt- PSG, every time camera zooms on some fan,despite fact they are up, they are cursing and are ungry :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,959

Post#1449 » by thelead » Thu May 2, 2024 6:13 am

pepe1991 wrote:Difference in fundamental approach toward sports .

Clippers- Mavs game, Clippers home court, down by 30, people dancing in arena during time outs in game that is probably series-ending loss.

Borussia Dortmunt- PSG, every time camera zooms on some fan,despite fact they are up, they are cursing and are ungry :lol:

American football fans are more like that (still not like European fans though).... and I still don't get how anyone can be THAT invested in anything other than true life and death stuff :lol:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,070

Post#1450 » by SOUL » Thu May 2, 2024 8:07 am

Read on Twitter

Me this entire year lol
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#1451 » by drsd » Thu May 2, 2024 8:27 am

SOUL wrote:
Read on Twitter

Me this entire year lol

So, it's not that Coach Mosley is good or bad, but that Jeff Weltman has been great. That's Barkley's logic!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,070

Post#1452 » by SOUL » Thu May 2, 2024 8:40 am

drsd wrote:So, it's not that Coach Mosley is good or bad, but that Jeff Weltman has been great. That's Barkley's logic!

I would say Mose is a very average X's and O's guy and an extreme motivator, and that's a lot of what you need nowadays.

Personnel trumps everything, or else you'd see Popovich still winning or Spoelstra still in. Doc Rivers and Vogel are champions and get clowned on all the time. Lakers and Mavs made the WCF with "bad" head coaches that their team wants fired every time they lose in Darvin Ham and Kidd. Personnel matters a lot, with knowing when to push certain buttons or make certain calls. But it's always been about the Jimmys and Joes.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1453 » by drsd » Thu May 2, 2024 8:51 am

SOUL wrote:
drsd wrote:So, it's not that Coach Mosley is good or bad, but that Jeff Weltman has been great. That's Barkley's logic!

I would say Mose is a very average X's and O's guy and an extreme motivator, and that's a lot of what you need nowadays.

Personnel trumps everything, or else you'd see Popovich still winning or Spoelstra still in. Doc Rivers and Vogel are champions and get clowned on all the time. Lakers and Mavs made the WCF with "bad" head coaches that their team wants fired every time they lose in Darvin Ham and Kidd. Personnel matters a lot, with knowing when to push certain buttons or make certain calls. But it's always been about the Jimmys and Joes.

And-1

There was a presser about a week ago where the reporter asked if M-Wagner was going to be leashed. Coach clearly stated that players need their personality. That is their role in a set play. Be who you are.

I cannot think of a more pro-player answer from a player's coach than that!

But back to the Chuck comment: maybe we fans should actually be given more street-cred to Weltman. He has made team that is almost really interesting. And "should be" by next year.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,540

Post#1454 » by jezzerinho » Thu May 2, 2024 9:11 am

drsd wrote:
SOUL wrote:
Read on Twitter

Me this entire year lol

So, it's not that Coach Mosley is good or bad, but that Jeff Weltman has been great. That's Barkley's logic!

Sure.

We're 2 games from potentially joining the Lakers and the Sun's in the 1st round elimination pile. And if it happens (iI sincerely hope it won't) it'll not be because of coaching. It'll be because a load of our players aren't good enough to start on a playoff team. Weltman had several windows to address those clear shortcomings and didn't. Anyway, just like Chuck - RANT OVER!
drsd
RealGM

Post#1455 » by drsd » Thu May 2, 2024 9:28 am

jezzerinho wrote:We're 2 games from potentially joining the Lakers and the Sun's in the 1st round elimination pile.

Well: actually only 1 game. :(

Or to look at this as glass-half-full: the Magic is only 14 wins to being NBA champions this year (starting with requiring two in a row, of course).
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,540

Post#1456 » by jezzerinho » Thu May 2, 2024 10:08 am

drsd wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:We're 2 games from potentially joining the Lakers and the Sun's in the 1st round elimination pile.

Or to look at this as glass-half-full: the Magic is only 14 wins to being NBA champions this year (starting with requiring two in a row, of course).

True re 1 game!

No no, I'm very glass half full on the season and on the playoffs. Very encouraged.

Bur Chucks rant is absolutely in no way an endorsement of Weltman. If anything the reverse.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1457 » by Skybox » Thu May 2, 2024 6:38 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
drsd wrote:

True re 1 game!

No no, I'm very glass half full on the season and on the playoffs. Very encouraged.

Bur Chucks rant is absolutely in no way an endorsement of Weltman. If anything the reverse.

Chuck’s saying that the PLAYERS make the shots, carry out the plan…if the players can’t or won’t…the GM got the wrong players, evaluated poorly, generally goofed up. A coach, at this level, is not a skills tutor, he’s a tactician. Players don’t learn how to shoot or dribble from an NBA head coach.

For example, a team with two glaring needs - PG & shooting - and two lottery picks….chooses a PG & a shooter and still solves neither glaring problem (so far- we’ll see).

I get “development “…but, generally, there’s SOME little tiny inkling already there. The G-league is not like farm teams in baseball…teams don’t “draft & stash”…they draft, get disappointed and hide them and hope , somehow, that playing in a wild, AAU-like open gym setting will help college stars learn how to play like NBA players. If that really was the plan, it’s revolutionary. In baseball, it’s normal…in basketball, it’s a demotion.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,269

Post#1458 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri May 3, 2024 12:36 am

Indy sure caught a break with no Giannis and injured Lillard.
aka: prorl
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,559

Post#1459 » by Bensational » Fri May 3, 2024 12:50 am

Indy bout to run away with it.

Best ability is availability after all. Shame for Giannis and Lillard for the season to end like that.

Who’s Indy gonna face? Philly or New Yawk?
OnlyFranz22
Junior
And1: 110

Post#1460 » by OnlyFranz22 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:56 am

Lopez or Portis would be a good addition in the offseason.

Return to Orlando Magic