ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Re: NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion) 

Post#1281 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 am

3ddman23 wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:Spo is a genius in game planning. Congrats, Miami for stealing one from Boston

Spo is good. But I feel like he gets a bit to much credit. These guys are just going out there and stepping up and hitting open 3s.... there isn't much to it.

I reckon Conference and Finals appearances utilizing undrafted free agents and mid round rookies is not impressive enough for you.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1282 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 am

RookieStar wrote:Also... lets face facts. As others said, game 1 they were in the 30% of 3s and they got clobbered. Now they are in the 50% they won. Itst one of those ganes for them.

Unless you sre telling me they average 45% of their 3s throughout the season.

I cannot think that just hitting 3's won the game. They played solid ball overall. In game 1, Boston came out on fire to win at home. Spo just figured out the C's gameplan from that loss and the team responded. They don't quit. Didn't last year when they were a playin that went to the Finals.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,881

Post#1283 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:04 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Also... lets face facts. As others said, game 1 they were in the 30% of 3s and they got clobbered. Now they are in the 50% they won. Itst one of those ganes for them.

I cannot think that just hitting 3's won the game. They played solid ball overall. In game 1, Boston came out on fire to win at home. Spo just figured out the C's gameplan from that loss and the team responded. They don't quit. Didn't last year when they were a playin that went to the Finals.

Spo got them open looks and they madr the 3s. Also whether haters admit it or not, Coach Mos also got our guys open looks but we did not make them. If they shot 30-40% MIA would have lost.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#1284 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:10 am

RookieStar wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Spo got them open looks and they madr the 3s. Also whether haters admit it or not, Coach Mos also got our guys open looks but we did not make them. If they shot 30-40% MIA would have lost.

I reckon Team Defense and Team play doesn't do anything for you while utilizing undrafted free agents and mid to late 1st round draft picks. Games to some people revolve solely around how well the team shoots 3's. Amazing that Jett, the long range wiz can't even get in a game. Btw, how are the Suns doing with 3 great 3 point shooters?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1285 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:53 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

I reckon Team Defense and Team play doesn't do anything for you while utilizing undrafted free agents and mid to late 1st round draft picks. Games to some people revolve solely around how well the team shoots 3's. Amazing that Jett, the long range wiz can't even get in a game. Btw, how are the Suns doing with 3 great 3 point shooters?

Dont get me wrong im more about TEAM than anyone else. However lets also face facts, in this era everyonr chuck 3s even big dominant Cs like Embiid wemby and Jokic are doing it to keep defense honest. Also, look at that headline, MIA had to break a record 23 3pointers to be able to beat BOS by
.. 8 or 10?

So yeah... SPO like Mos got their defending well. The biggest difference is, qhen they shot 3s, it went in while our guys open looks did not.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,501

Post#1286 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:05 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

The 3pt shooting narrative becomes so annoying. Orlando has been a poor shooting team all year and they won 47 games when they honored their defensive identity and moved the ball and player movement.

But that Miami win tonight was all Spolestra. The guy is pretty much second to none when it comes to game planning and adjustments. If he coached Orlando things would be pretty different to think that they wouldn't is just a flat out disrespect to the one of the best coaches in NBA history.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,838

Post#1287 » by SOUL » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:29 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

The 3pt shooting narrative becomes so annoying. Orlando has been a poor shooting team all year and they won 47 games when they honored their defensive identity and moved the ball and player movement.

But that Miami win tonight was all Spolestra. The guy is pretty much second to none when it comes to game planning and adjustments. If he coached Orlando things would be pretty different to think that they wouldn't is just a flat out disrespect to the one of the best coaches in NBA history.

I don't think it's a narrative at all. It doesn't mean shooting = we become a contender overnight, but it absolutely matters for a team already solid on defense.

Spoelstra is a magician in the playoffs. But again.. they hit like 22 or 23 threes tonight. Last year they went from the worst shooting team in the regular season to one of the best in the playoffs. It was crazy ****. It absolutely matters. The Heat are elevated in the playoffs because that shooting comes through suddenly and then the defense stays solid.

Simply can't count on 29/30 teams, especially young teams, to just "turn it on". Even the Heat were playing with fire during the last two regular seasons being one game away from not even BEING in the playoffs at all.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,328

Post#1288 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:48 am

Majority of players they get are from big, sucessful college programs, they also don't usually go after raw projects who need years to learn how to play basketball.
If you look how they drafted Jaquez, most people in their spot would go after some 19 years old project, they went after person who spent 4 years at college. Fast forward one year, their rookie is easly top 5 best rookies in a class, at least so far.

And btw, Boston's defense on 3 point shooting was just pathetic for playoff basketball , especially in first half, ESPECIALLY for a contender.
How many times Herro played 2 men game, curled around screen and was left wide open ? 10 straight?

Not to mention Horford and his "defense" on Jaquez.

Like... it's Tyler Herro, in second half of playoff game, after slight trip, you have Brown giving up on possession leaving guy wide open in corner and not even trying to recover.

Min later, you switch to 3-2 zone, but your zone is so damn deep that it actually helps shooting team get more open.

LIke ,wtf was Boston doing in this game? Even if Herro does not shoot ( he didn't) there are 4 Heat perimeter players open, and only 3 Boston bodies that can actually defend, because Horford is already in no-men world ,if Zingis is lured out, you have 2 midgets below rim to score at.
Who was setting this defense ? Why Porzingis and White didn't change places, what's the point of 2-3 zone if 2 men out are bigs? It's just pathetic for basketball team to be this disorganized.

And if you think those are just heats of a moment cought on screen, 40 sec later , you have situation where Brown wants Martin to go left, because , i assume ,intentionally they load strong side with 2 bigs, HOWEVER, despite fact he WANTS Martin to go left, he is so damn unprepared to actually defend him - from going left. He lost footing so fast that neither bigs menaged to react.

All this happened in 2 min of basketball game.

Pretty much, they got cooked because they played like fools.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,020

Post#1289 » by p0peye » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:51 am

pepe1991 wrote:Who was setting this defense ? Why Porzingis and White didn't change places, what's the point of 2-3 zone if 2 men out are bigs? It's just pathetic for basketball team to be this disorganized.

Not to say you are wrong, but a smart team re-arranges opponents defense utilizing movement and gravity. You can see that with Denver on every play.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,674

Post#1290 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:51 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
The 3pt shooting narrative becomes so annoying.

I don't think the idea (shared by every good team in the league) that putting the ball in the basket more consistently with shots that count for 50% more than other shots is dismissible as a "narrative"
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,229

Post#1291 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:10 pm

Boston is still very vulnerable.
aka: prorl
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Post#1292 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:15 pm

I don't think it's as simple as Miami made shots, so they won, and we didn't make shots, so we lost. I think Miami prepares differently.

I also think Miami has no problems playing rookies and minimum players. The Magic have really looked bad for a couple of months now, and we refused to try anything different. I know our record wasn't bad, but we were struggling to beat bad teams. We were set on playing 10 players, and that's it.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,149

Post#1293 » by magik9113 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:14 pm

Weird when I'm almost as excited to watch a game between two teams I don't even care about (sixers vs Knicks) than I am to see us brick a bunch of 3s and turn the ball over for an L at home. Of course a big dub would change that...but...damn...
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,587

Post#1294 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 pm

Watching the Heat have way more ballhandling and reliable shooting than us despite both Butler and Rozier being out was a bit depressing, to be honest.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,501

Post#1295 » by ibraheim718 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:25 pm

SOUL wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

I don't think it's a narrative at all. It doesn't mean shooting = we become a contender overnight, but it absolutely matters for a team already solid on defense.

Spoelstra is a magician in the playoffs. But again.. they hit like 22 or 23 threes tonight. Last year they went from the worst shooting team in the regular season to one of the best in the playoffs. It was crazy ****. It absolutely matters. The Heat are elevated in the playoffs because that shooting comes through suddenly and then the defense stays solid.

Simply can't count on 29/30 teams, especially young teams, to just "turn it on". Even the Heat were playing with fire during the last two regular seasons being one game away from not even BEING in the playoffs at all.

Here's the crux of my issue.. fans think if the team adds 3pt shooting they immediately become better. I just can't get behind that.
Message Boar
Veteran
And1: 1,799

Post#1296 » by Message Boar » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:31 am

Good to hear (as in hear Knick fan cheers) that even the 76ers have problems with Knick fans getting their hands on tickets to their own arena, lol
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1297 » by RookieStar » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:19 am

Alright... who were those advocating getting DLO from the Lakers? Guys has a big fat 0 pts like Gary in a very important gme 3 home game
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 589

Post#1298 » by MasterGMer » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 am

Man, DAngelo missed one more time. How can he be this streaky? Super inconsistent.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,436

Post#1299 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:26 am

MasterGMer wrote:Man, DAngelo missed one more time. How can he be this streaky? Super inconsistent.
That's kind of par for the course for that archetype
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,512

Post#1300 » by Bensational » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:37 am

ibraheim718 wrote:Here's the crux of my issue.. fans think if the team adds 3pt shooting they immediately become better. I just can't get behind that.

It’s true to the extent that even with the pieces we currently have, when the 3’s are falling the rest of the offense flows much smoother. Getting more consistent and prolific outside shooting with everything else remaining as is will improve the team.

It’s the same as adding a PG/playmaker. It’ll help us in the margins. For me it’s just the timing of that addition. I really want to give our young guys time for that to emerge internally.

Return to Orlando Magic