ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,801

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1181 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:50 am

MagicMatic wrote:I mean, I would hope so considering he was a legitimate 6MoTY candidate in his year 7.

Definitely a far cry from Fultz and Cole Anthony. Or even year 3 Suggs at 27 mpg.

But yeah.. thats exactly what he is and has been his entire career except for 30ish games for the Lakers. Thats not really a take I randomly came up with.

If the Magic don't think Monk could and would thrive in a starting role, then I simply wouldn't sign him. No harm, no foul.

I'm just not paying a 6th man 20-25M a year when I already have Cole under contract for that exact same role at 13M a year.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,121

Post#1182 » by Residual-Heat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:53 am

Knightro wrote:
Skybox wrote:I don't agree that he needs to get $25m+...who is bidding against us? I'm not saying insult him back into SAC's arms, but other cap space teams are a lot less of a fit, imo.

The Kings can offer him $17M per year over 4 years. He's beloved in Sacramento and his best friend plays there.

For him to walk away from that, a team IMO will have to make it worth his while financially.

I don't know if $20M AAV would get it done - although obviously I'd love it if it did. That's ultimately only $12M more over the life of the contract.

But 25M AAV is 28M more over the life of the contract, and that kind of money gap is unlikely to ever make up the difference by staying.

I do think San Antonio could potentially be interested in Monk and they have a ton of cap space as well.

12 mill may still be a lot for him to give up just to play with his friend. Monk hasnt signed a big NBA contract yet. That 12 mill is like a third of his career earnings in 7 seasons. Also, if he's thinking of his next contract, the Magic offer him the opportunity to start on a play off team. If he manages to become a decent starter, that means more money for him in the future too.

Fox's contract expires in 2 years as well, and who knows what he wants to do.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,576

Post#1183 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:53 am

How can we get Daaron Fox here? He'd be awesome
Trade for Trae
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#1184 » by Darth Magic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 am

WCJ will be traded for Luke Kennard this summer and we will sign Hartenstien to replace him. You heard it here first
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,230

Post#1185 » by cedric76 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:17 am

basketballRob wrote:Sacramento is starting to worry that Orlando will sign Monk.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1xluF61MDfpcIGXWVOC7Jg?si=TuxBAKRNSfubWcsGJmhH5Q

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Philip is clueless, all his pods r terrible, the guy always talk 40 min and says nothing valuable
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1186 » by cedric76 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:23 am

eyriq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Sacramento is starting to worry that Orlando will sign Monk.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1xluF61MDfpcIGXWVOC7Jg?si=TuxBAKRNSfubWcsGJmhH5Q

He's a really obvious fit

I find it funny that someone who watchs every single Sacramento game (the locked on sac guy) is telling Philip that monk has been playing the point for them each time Fox is on the bench , that Monk is a great playmaker and would do wonder playing pick and rolls with Paolo (like he does with sabonis) and Philip ends up telling him that Orlando won't go after him because he thinks Orlando needs a true PG lol

Philip only listen to his own voice
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#1187 » by drsd » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:26 am

THe league made about 11B this year. The new media deals up on out tickers every day should increase that revenue by a bit more than 3B a year. So, that would mean that when the TV deal kicks in, without smoothing (something the league will want and the players won't), that year there would be an about 30% increase in the cap.

Reading that Durant is soon eligible to make 60M a year, we really can't be more than a decade off from an NBA baller averaging more than 100M a year in a contract. Right?
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1188 » by cedric76 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:27 am

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Monk is such a roll of the dice.

If he ends up being what you think he can be, you have a lead guard in his prime making what would ultimately end up being reasonable money for his production.

But he’s also literally never started before and it’s a complete gamble if he could adjust to a 35 minute per game role as a starting point guard.

And if he can’t start, you’re paying 25 million a year for a slightly better version of last year’s Cole Anthony. Not good!

Big risk with big reward.

Even the locked on sac guy mentioned that 22M is the key number,so you r looking at 88/4yrs 25,23,20,20 deal

Well worth it
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,576

Post#1189 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:31 am

Darth Magic wrote:WCJ will be traded for Luke Kennard this summer and we will sign Hartenstien to replace him. You heard it here first

I dig it. Still will need a guard in SL.
Trade for Trae
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1190 » by cedric76 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:36 am

Darth Magic wrote:WCJ will be traded for Luke Kennard this summer and we will sign Hartenstien to replace him. You heard it here first

Green font?
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1191 » by cedric76 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:38 am

If you can get Monk for 88/4yr, you jump on that, worst case, you use him in a trade package in December to get an unhappy player like Murray or Mitchell

Monk at 22M per is a great asset
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,833

Post#1192 » by Rainwater » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:39 am

I just can't get behind this Monk idea. The magic will not have this kind of cap space for a while and they may throw money and get stuck to a guy, who's best years came as 6th man, hoping he will reach another level after 8 years in the league. This is a massive risk for a team that has such a bright future.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1193 » by Rainwater » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:42 am

cedric76 wrote:If you can get Monk for 88/4yr, you jump on that, worst case, you use him in a trade package in December to get an unhappy player like Murray or Mitchell

Monk at 22M per is a great asset

You are making the assumption that other teams would just take on the Magic's mistake. If Monk is not performing and the magic do decide to trade him other assets would have to be involved to make the trade worth it. No team will just take on a sixth man making 22 to 25 million a year.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1194 » by cedric76 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:46 am

Rainwater wrote:I just can't get behind this Monk idea. The magic will not have this kind of cap space for a while and they may throw money and get stuck to a guy, who's best years came as 6th man, hoping he will reach another level after 8 years in the league. This is a massive risk for a team that has such a bright future.

That s what people don't get, with new tv deal cap goes up nearly 10% per year, locking a guy at 22M per year now is a bargain, that ll be 1/8 of your cap at most

And that contract would be a huge asset if needed in future deals
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1195 » by Rainwater » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:53 am

cedric76 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:I just can't get behind this Monk idea. The magic will not have this kind of cap space for a while and they may throw money and get stuck to a guy, who's best years came as 6th man, hoping he will reach another level after 8 years in the league. This is a massive risk for a team that has such a bright future.

That s what people don't get, with new tv deal cap goes up nearly 10% per year, locking a guy at 22M per year now is a bargain, that ll be 1/8 of your cap at most

You are ignoring the fact that if Monk is signed the hope is that he breaks out as a starter. I can't remember that happening to a guy who has already been in the league for 7 years. With the success the Magic have had, I am not comfortable putting future progression on Monk hoping he reaches another level after 7 years. That is just risky and has been tried multiple times already. The Magic have a bright future they don't have to take on projects anymore.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#1196 » by Rainwater » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:01 am

cedric76 wrote:
eyriq wrote:

I find it funny that someone who watchs every single Sacramento game (the locked on sac guy) is telling Philip that monk has been playing the point for them each time Fox is on the bench , that Monk is a great playmaker and would do wonder playing pick and rolls with Paolo (like he does with sabonis) and Philip ends up telling him that Orlando won't go after him because he thinks Orlando needs a true PG lol

Just listened to the Podcast and I agree with Philip doubt Monks signs with the magic and I believe most of their big acquisitions happen through trade.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#1197 » by drsd » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:09 am

cedric76 wrote:

By the time the new TV deal kisck in, the cap would be about 160M without the new money. The new money will be a 30% bump. So, for 2026.27, the cap could be just about 200M. Hmm.
Then the lux line is what: 230M ???
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#1198 » by Skin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:10 am

Monk is not the piece we need. No trust in Suggs? Monk's offense what we need Suggs to become. If we got him, he would eat at Suggs minutes more than anyone elses. Not even I want that.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,782

Post#1199 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:44 am

cedric76 wrote:
eyriq wrote:

He’s really hard to listen to…I have to be really jonesing for Magic content to go there. Hats off to him, he’s getting paid to share less insight than we do here.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,782

Post#1200 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:12 am

Bruce Brown was overpaid, by design, so it’s very possible that his TO for $22m isn’t picked up…that’s more than his prior career earnings. Getting him in the Ingles/Harris slot for a pinch above MLE would make for a tougher, versatile 2-way bench. Same could be said for Caleb Martin.

We really need that one BIG move for a starting lead guard (Murray, Monk, Simons, Herro)- who’s the next Tyrese Maxey?…but these others make for a tough gritty proven playoff bench.

ORL may have done enough to prove themselves “worthy” of the discount vet min guys out there that can really help push a team over. Guys like Kris Dunn, Naji Marshall, maybe Gordon Hayward or Drummond is entering that career stage. Just shrewd depth adds if we are smart enough to let our FAs walk…I love Ingles, but he should be a vet min guy who contributes in limited mins at this point. We’ve had overpay for guys like him…hopefully, we’re taking that next step.

Return to Orlando Magic