ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,558

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1381 » by ibraheim718 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:20 am

eyriq wrote:WCJ for Kennard + Memphis 2024 1st?

I think I'm holding on to Dell.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,781

Post#1382 » by Skybox » Thu May 2, 2024 2:41 am

ibraheim718 wrote:

That’s an awful deal…unless we had something in pocket for our two draft picks. Kennard should be heading into vet min territory as an unathletic one-tool role player. Another year of stockpiling questionable prospects in the G-league would be completely the wrong direction.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,781

Post#1383 » by Skybox » Thu May 2, 2024 2:43 am

pinoynurse wrote:
Knightro wrote:I have completely talked myself into Paul George at the full max if he’s willing to take a three year deal.

this. would do it, but only for 3 years

If you’re PG…wouldn’t you take the same deal with Embiid & Maxey and a roster of crafty old heads? That deal WILL be on the table. Better positional fit, imo.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,909

Post#1384 » by basketballRob » Thu May 2, 2024 2:46 am

Skybox wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

That’s an awful deal…unless we had something in pocket for our two draft picks. Kennard should be heading into vet min territory as an unathletic one-tool role player. Another year of stockpiling questionable prospects in the G-league would be completely the wrong direction.
I like Clingan. Hell, be in the 7th pick range, but the Grizzlies probably just make the pick. The Grizzlies will likely not pick up Kennard's option.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,909

Post#1385 » by basketballRob » Thu May 2, 2024 2:51 am

Skybox wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:
Knightro wrote:I have completely talked myself into Paul George at the full max if he’s willing to take a three year deal.

If you’re PG…wouldn’t you take the same deal with Embiid & Maxey and a roster of crafty old heads? That deal WILL be on the table. Better positional fit, imo.
Philadelphia won't have money to fill in their roster. If they give PG $40m, that will give them $14m left, Melton will want at least $14m. Then, they'll have to sign 11 minimum deal players.

It didn't work with Harden there last year.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,959

Post#1386 » by thelead » Thu May 2, 2024 2:57 am

Skybox wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:

If you're PG and getting away from Kawhi and his injuries... you wouldn't have second thoughts about joining Embiid? I think that may keep him away from Philly. I still think he ends up staying in LA though. I would give him the max but I doubt he's seriously willing to leave LA which is why I haven't even brought him up... but if he is interested, this summer will be super interesting.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,801

Post#1387 » by Knightro » Thu May 2, 2024 3:08 am

thelead wrote:
Skybox wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:

If you're PG and getting away from Kawhi and his injuries... you wouldn't have second thoughts about joining Embiid? I think that may keep him away from Philly. I still think he ends up staying in LA though. I would give him the max but I doubt he's seriously willing to leave LA which is why I haven't even brought him up... but if he is interested, this summer will be super interesting.

It’s gonna be interesting. I’m sure George would prefer to stay in LA as well, but if the Clippers resign Harden and George both they’re basically guaranteed to go over the 2nd apron.

And if they lose this Dallas series, I’m not sure how you can justify being a 2nd apron team with a group that in the last three years has missed the playoffs outright and been bounced in round one twice.
Trillen
Rookie
And1: 156

Post#1388 » by Trillen » Thu May 2, 2024 3:26 am

tiderulz wrote:
Trillen wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
I’m not sure about Trae.

I get the knocks about his defense but I just can't be against adding a high-volume shooting, high-level playmaker to this team.

the thing is, he is high volume 3, but not very good. up and down, career 35%+ from 3. average 3pt % for PG's in the NBA is 37%

Legitimate question because I admittedly don't watch Trae much - do guys sag off or routinely go under on him to the point where his shooting is atually a major issue? Maybe I'm settling too low but I'm not upset at pg league average at high volume with the playmaking ability he has. I was sick and tired of watching him kill us on those lobs and dimes inside.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,229

Post#1389 » by cedric76 » Thu May 2, 2024 5:45 am

Skybox wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:

Philly has no depth, and embid is always injured.

Orlando has brighter future

Better weather and no income tax

But I could see him going for philly instead of Orlando
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,833

Post#1390 » by Rainwater » Thu May 2, 2024 8:35 am

cedric76 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:

There is no chance Paul George heads to Orlando. The Sixers are contending for a title now, the Magic are a few years away. Approaching the age of 35, pretty certain he’d either stay in LA or go to Philly.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,229

Post#1391 » by cedric76 » Thu May 2, 2024 8:50 am

Rainwater wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

There is no chance Paul George heads to Orlando. The Sixers are contending for a title now, the Magic are a few years away. Approaching the age of 35, pretty certain he’d either stay in LA or go to Philly.

I would say

90% chances he stays in LA
9% chances to Philadelphia
1% chances to Orlando
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,540

Post#1392 » by jezzerinho » Thu May 2, 2024 10:33 am

cedric76 wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

I would say

90% chances he stays in LA
9% chances to Philadelphia
1% chances to Orlando

I'd put it significantly higher than 1%. But it's still v unlikely to happen.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,530

Post#1393 » by shadrock » Thu May 2, 2024 11:02 am

Skybox wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

You are kidding yourself if you think WCJ gets even remotely close to a pick of that calibre.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,169

Post#1394 » by tiderulz » Thu May 2, 2024 11:14 am

Trillen wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Trillen wrote:I get the knocks about his defense but I just can't be against adding a high-volume shooting, high-level playmaker to this team.

the thing is, he is high volume 3, but not very good. up and down, career 35%+ from 3. average 3pt % for PG's in the NBA is 37%

Legitimate question because I admittedly don't watch Trae much - do guys sag off or routinely go under on him to the point where his shooting is atually a major issue? Maybe I'm settling too low but I'm not upset at pg league average at high volume with the playmaking ability he has. I was sick and tired of watching him kill us on those lobs and dimes inside.

but as i mentioned, he is below league average in %. Also, its his shot selection. He is not Steph Curry, but thinks he is and shoots very deep 3 pt shots that more often than not do not go in. Yes, he is a talented passer, but he is bad on defense and to me not worth his max deal.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1395 » by tiderulz » Thu May 2, 2024 11:16 am

Rainwater wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

are they? Embiid cant stay healthy and while they found Maxey to run with him, they still havent made it far consistently for me to say they are a title contending team
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1396 » by RichCollab » Thu May 2, 2024 12:00 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

are they? Embiid cant stay healthy and while they found Maxey to run with him, they still havent made it far consistently for me to say they are a title contending team

Maxey should be the face of 76ers going forward. I doubt PG13 wants to jump in to another Kawhi situation with Embiid.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,183

Post#1397 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:30 pm

Knightro wrote:Simons is worse than/close to the same as Monk IMO.

And one guy would cost assets in a trade while the other guy will only cost money.

I agree both Monk and Simons are comparable. But if you’re comparing them I think you have to admit that Simons shooting ability is a level above Monk’s.. maybe even 2 levels

While Monk looks like he can be an average defender and it would be a stretch to ever project that for Simons

Both guys seem like they would ultimately play the same role on this team. Best scorer and playmaking guard on the team but not a pure PG

I’d be curious on others thoughts on Monk vs Simons (factoring in the cost to acquire either as well)
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1398 » by tiderulz » Thu May 2, 2024 12:44 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
Knightro wrote:Simons is worse than/close to the same as Monk IMO.

And one guy would cost assets in a trade while the other guy will only cost money.

I agree both Monk and Simons are comparable. But if you’re comparing them I think you have to admit that Simons shooting ability is a level above Monk’s.. maybe even 2 levels

While Monk looks like he can be an average defender and it would be a stretch to ever project that for Simons

Both guys seem like they would ultimately play the same role on this team. Best scorer and playmaking guard on the team but not a pure PG

I’d be curious on others thoughts on Monk vs Simons (factoring in the cost to acquire either as well)

you hit on a crux of it. They are similar, similar age. Simons better shooter, Monk better defender(though not a good defender), but what would it cost to get Simons? just a 1st? How much does Monk get in a contract? is the salary similar? I dont believe Monk can be a 2nd option, maybe he flourishes as the 3rd. But he also seems pretty inconsistent. and Simons has had injury issues the past couple of years.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1399 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu May 2, 2024 1:25 pm

Knightro wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:Your trading or letting Isaac walk in this scenario? I don’t think that is wrong I am starting to think that might be what should happen. Will see if he will sign a 3 year max but this isn’t leaking by us. This is his agent trying to extract the most money possible from Clippers. I don’t think he wants to leave LA. I can see your point but this is our move because that contract in year 3 and 4 could really be toxic waste. The history of players after 35 is not good. I am 50/50 because we might be out of cap space after this summer. I think the most important years for this core are going to be those last two years. They have to be in contention as everyone will be in prime. If he falls off a cliff then we could be in a tough spot those years.

I would play out next season with Isaac on the roster for 17.8M and see where he is at physically.

If he’s able to play 70+ games and play 25 minutes a night then I would re-sign him for somewhere in the range he makes now and figure out another way to avoid the second apron like dumping Cole.

But if what he was this year is what he’s going to be moving forward (16 MPG over less than 60 games), I’d ask him to take a significant pay cut from the 17.8M he currently makes.

Might be possible but if he has another good year someone might be willing to overpay him. What are your thoughts on my thoughts with George with those last two years? I don’t want to be that idiot that says this star doesn’t meet our timeline but this is a move playing more for Paolo and Franz next two years and putting the following 2 years in jeopardy.

I am so 50/50 on this because I do feel like beggars can’t be choosers. His game is not totally built on athleticism so he might not age too bad. But as opposed to that using that same money to sign Jones and Monk to big two year deals and preserving trade flexibility might make more sense. If we sign those two guys and someone good comes on trade market you can match salaries way easier. If we sign George and let’s say a big fish hits trade market we would have to combine Suggs and Isaac as opposed to Isaac and like Monk to make it work.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,801

Post#1400 » by Knightro » Thu May 2, 2024 1:37 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:Might be possible but if he has another good year someone might be willing to overpay him. What are your thoughts on my thoughts with George with those last two years? I don’t want to be that idiot that says this star doesn’t meet our timeline but this is a move playing more for Paolo and Franz next two years and putting the following 2 years in jeopardy.

I am so 50/50 on this because I do feel like beggars can’t be choosers. His game is not totally built on athleticism so he might not age too bad. But as opposed to that using that same money to sign Jones and Monk to big two year deals and preserving trade flexibility might make more sense. If we sign those two guys and someone good comes on trade market you can match salaries way easier. If we sign George and let’s say a big fish hits trade market we would have to combine Suggs and Isaac as opposed to Isaac and like Monk to make it work.

Yeah I mean it's not an easy thing. If Isaac plays really well next season, he'll be an unrestricted free agent heading into the summer of 2025 with his age 28 season on tap.

He would be somebody the Magic would want and probably need to resign as it's very likely he would have contributed a LOT to winning in 2024-2025.

But ultimately that's a good problem to have. Having so many good players that ownership has to suck it up financially and deal with it as you're trying to win a championship is not a bad thing.

In a perfect world, I would say three years would be the maximum I'd go on PG, but he might not be willing to go three years.

Return to Orlando Magic