ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1281 » by KillMonger » Wed May 1, 2024 8:13 am

If we go after monk i'd rather him run point than suggs
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,769

Post#1282 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 10:43 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
drsd wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=mrVIKCZeHvAN1GqeyHv21w&s=19

WePark's off-season:
Waive Bol
Draft Black
Draft Howard
sold-traded SRP
Signed Ingles
Signed Queen TW
Resigned Anthony
Resigned Schofield TW
Resigned M-Wagner

An no mid-season moves.

Are we fans to believe that that was the 6th best management actions this year? What a joke. Maybe the votes are because of the Kia deal and the new money that brings ownership. ???? But that's plus-signs for Alex Martins, right?

A Magician did win the dunk contest. Is that anything?

Not saying he did a good job this offseason, but the Magic were among the most improved teams in the league in terms of record. Probably got a few votes just for that.

I figure it’s based largely on the financial position he put ORL in for summer flexibility. Simply a much improved team with tremendous opportunity for another leap this summer. Very few good teams are looking at the summer the same way. OKC is also an amazing job because they’re really contenders AND young AND have a cache of picks to go get whoever they want when opportunity presents.

Not sure you can give too much praise for two lottery picks that can’t earn a second of non-garbage time tho.

But, if they sit on their hands, they should be last on the list next year.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#1283 » by drsd » Wed May 1, 2024 10:50 am

KillMonger wrote:If we go after monk i'd rather him run point than suggs

Playing two combo guards when the primary ball handlers will be the forwards, call Monk and Suggs whatever you want.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1284 » by drsd » Wed May 1, 2024 11:06 am

cedric76 wrote:Jett is a SG and will be a good one

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but there is no evidence that either of those statements will be true.

Howard has not proven he can guard NBA SGs. Until he does, he is a taller Mac McClung. Of course I hope you are correct, but there simply is no evidence. He might very well be a backup SF for defensive reasons. I still don't see any prospect of him ever being a starter though.

Harris as a 3 SG is a safety net, always good to have a vet like him if you have injuries

Orlando will sign a LLE SG. If G-Harris is up for that role, sure. But some (stupid) team will probably offer him 10M. Orlando should not match that.

As for Cole trade I was thinking for a pf/c that would expire sooner that Cole s contract.

If the Magic drafts Carter, this makes a lot of sense. If the Magic draft Edey/Salaun/Ware/Missi/Filipowski/da Silva, then it makes more sense for Orlando to trade Anthony for a future pick. Say to OKC for one of their 10000 FRPs of the future.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1285 » by RichCollab » Wed May 1, 2024 11:49 am

Skybox wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
drsd wrote:
WePark's off-season:
Waive Bol
Draft Black
Draft Howard
sold-traded SRP
Signed Ingles
Signed Queen TW
Resigned Anthony
Resigned Schofield TW
Resigned M-Wagner

An no mid-season moves.

Are we fans to believe that that was the 6th best management actions this year? What a joke. Maybe the votes are because of the Kia deal and the new money that brings ownership. ???? But that's plus-signs for Alex Martins, right?

A Magician did win the dunk contest. Is that anything?

Not saying he did a good job this offseason, but the Magic were among the most improved teams in the league in terms of record. Probably got a few votes just for that.

I figure it’s based largely on the financial position he put ORL in for summer flexibility. Simply a much improved team with tremendous opportunity for another leap this summer. Very few good teams aren’t looking at the summer the same way. OKC is also an amazing job because they’re really contenders AND young AND have a cache of picks to go get whoever they want when opportunity presents.

Not sure you can give too much praise for two lottery picks that can’t earn a second of non-garbage time tho.

But, if they sit on their hands, they should be last on the list next year.

Black started 33 games.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,228

Post#1286 » by cedric76 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:59 am

drsd wrote:
cedric76 wrote:Jett is a SG and will be a good one

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but there is no evidence that either of those statements will be true.

Howard has not proven he can guard NBA SGs. Until he does, he is a taller Mac McClung. Of course I hope you are correct, but there simply is no evidence. He might very well be a backup SF for defensive reasons. I still don't see any prospect of him ever being a starter though.

Harris as a 3 SG is a safety net, always good to have a vet like him if you have injuries

Orlando will sign a LLE SG. If G-Harris is up for that role, sure. But some (stupid) team will probably offer him 10M. Orlando should not match that.

As for Cole trade I was thinking for a pf/c that would expire sooner that Cole s contract.

If the Magic drafts Carter, this makes a lot of sense. If the Magic draft Edey/Salaun/Ware/Missi/Filipowski/da Silva, then it makes more sense for Orlando to trade Anthony for a future pick. Say to OKC for one of their 10000 FRPs of the future.

Counter point:-)

Howard has not proven he can't guard NBA SGs.
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
drsd
RealGM

Post#1287 » by drsd » Wed May 1, 2024 12:10 pm

cedric76 wrote:Howard has not proven he can't guard NBA SGs.

We want Mac McClung!

JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#1288 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed May 1, 2024 12:45 pm

drsd wrote:

We want Mac McClung!

If what I saw from Cole yesterday was any indicator. Yes, yes we do.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,547

Post#1289 » by eyriq » Wed May 1, 2024 1:10 pm

For arguments sake let's say Franz and Paolo are clear top two options on offense.

Third option, how do we get them?

Player acquisition?
Or internal development of one of Suggs, AB, or Jett Howard?
drsd
RealGM

Post#1290 » by drsd » Wed May 1, 2024 1:23 pm

eyriq wrote:For arguments sake let's say Franz and Paolo are clear top two options on offense.

Player acquisition?

I think a FA signing is more likely than a trade or "internal development".
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1291 » by cedric76 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:39 pm

drsd wrote:

We want Mac McClung!

Why want Mac McClung when we have the next Booker

https://www.reddit.com/r/OrlandoMagic/comments/14lkdq9/jett_howard_devin_booker_comparison_via_datguycamo/
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
cedric76
RealGM

Post#1292 » by cedric76 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:40 pm

PG here we come

Paul George Rumors: 76ers, Magic Eye Star; Clippers Don't Want to Give Max Contract

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10119371-paul-george-rumors-76ers-magic-eye-star-clippers-dont-want-to-give-max-contract
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,115

Post#1293 » by yoyojw17 » Wed May 1, 2024 1:44 pm

drsd wrote:
eyriq wrote:For arguments sake let's say Franz and Paolo are clear top two options on offense.

Player acquisition?

Depends on what they see of Suggs, black, and Howard. If they believe in their potential and the strides to move forward.... And they already know that they fit the culture.... I would believe also that they won't put an expensive roadblock in front of them unless it's undeniable that that individual will help. I wouldn't be surprised if next season black is the official starter after a strong summer of development and training.

I know we have money.... But we are still going to have to re-up on some pricey contracts to keep this core together. Suggs, Franz, and Paolo are all going to get massive pay check bumps in the near future. JI will be on the docket in another year as well.... If he has a healthy and productive season.... He will also get paid.

Won't be surprised if we go for a Hartenstein.... And if not possibly re-up on Goga.

And that's why I think draft picks are so important .... Proper drafting allows for lower salary assessments and cultural molding. I don't see us trading away our picks either.... Players will be brought in and as our youth becomes leaders.... They will replace the Kevin Harris, queens, okeke (still like him), and so on on this team.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,167

Post#1294 » by tiderulz » Wed May 1, 2024 1:46 pm

cedric76 wrote:PG here we come

Paul George Rumors: 76ers, Magic Eye Star; Clippers Don't Want to Give Max Contract

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10119371-paul-george-rumors-76ers-magic-eye-star-clippers-dont-want-to-give-max-contract

basis is wrong though. We dont have as pressing a need for a wing as much as a legit PG. we are just going to be mentioned with any big name free agent because of our cap space this summer. I cant see Orlando going after 34 yr old Paul George on a max or near max deal, which you know he will be looking for.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,167

Post#1295 » by tiderulz » Wed May 1, 2024 1:49 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:

Player acquisition?

Depends on what they see of Suggs, black, and Howard. If they believe in their potential and the strides to move forward.... And they already know that they fit the culture.... I would believe also that they won't put an expensive roadblock in front of them unless it's undeniable that that individual will help. I wouldn't be surprised if next season black is the official starter after a strong summer of development and training.

I know we have money.... But we are still going to have to re-up on some pricey contracts to keep this core together. Suggs, Franz, and Paolo are all going to get massive pay check bumps in the near future. JI will be on the docket in another year as well.... If he has a healthy and productive season.... He will also get paid.

Won't be surprised if we go for a Hartenstein.... And if not possibly re-up on Goga.

And that's why I think draft picks are so important .... Proper drafting allows for lower salary assessments and cultural molding. I don't see us trading away our picks either.... Players will be brought in and as our youth becomes leaders.... They will replace the Kevin Harris, queens, okeke (still like him), and so on on this team.

Goga isnt staying here unless WCJ or Moe Wagner are moved. He isnt staying to be the 3rd center.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1296 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 2:01 pm

tiderulz wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
drsd wrote:

Goga isnt staying here unless WCJ or Moe Wagner are moved. He isnt staying to be the 3rd center.

It'd have to be a vet minimum...which would be very sad for him, but not completely inconceivable. I think someone gives him a shot, but you never know.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,790

Post#1297 » by Knightro » Wed May 1, 2024 2:01 pm

Player acquisition?

Player acquisition.

Suggs, Black and Howard are not going to be third options offensively at any point IMO.

Doesn't mean they can't be incredibly valuable players (Suggs already is), but I'm just not seeing "third option offensively" as an outcome for any of them.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1298 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 2:02 pm

cedric76 wrote:
drsd wrote:

We want Mac McClung!

Why want Mac McClung when we have the next Booker

https://www.reddit.com/r/OrlandoMagic/comments/14lkdq9/jett_howard_devin_booker_comparison_via_datguycamo/

Your posts probably make me sound like the biggest hater of our guys...but they should really all be in green font
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1299 » by Knightro » Wed May 1, 2024 2:10 pm

tiderulz wrote:
cedric76 wrote:PG here we come

basis is wrong though. We dont have as pressing a need for a wing as much as a legit PG. we are just going to be mentioned with any big name free agent because of our cap space this summer. I cant see Orlando going after 34 yr old Paul George on a max or near max deal, which you know he will be looking for.

I agree that point guard is a bigger need than shooting guard, but when you have the opportunity to add a top 20 NBA player and not give up any assets, I think you still have to do it.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1300 » by Knightro » Wed May 1, 2024 2:21 pm

Paul George This Season
7th in Estimated Wins (EW)
8th in Estimated Plus Minus (EPM)
19th in Luck-adjusted player Estimate using a Box prior Regularized ON-off (LEBRON)
27th in Value Over Replacement Player (VORP)
31st in Win Shares (WS)
33rd in Box Plus Minus (BPM)

He played 74 of 82 games. He's still really good!

The obvious concern...

He's 34 years old and wants a full maximum contract which would be 4 years, 212M.

The questions to ask... how well do you think he will age? and are you comfortable paying him 50M+ in his age 36 and 37 seasons?

Otherwise, adding a player of his caliber with just cap space and retaining all of your assets for future trades... I dunno man, I'd probably have to do it.

Return to Orlando Magic