ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1621 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 4:39 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
You're going to expose yourself. I would stop.

Hedo 3rd year stats..

7 ppl 3 reb 1 assist

He's miles closer to Dirk than he is Hedo.

I seriously would drop this argument.
he aint no dirk. Lol

Even hedo in his prime didnt get a max contract.

Dirk was already all nba 3rd team in his 3rd season.

Franz isn’t a max player, if he is offered the max, that’s gonna hurt the team in the long run. Near max maybe, but definitely not max level.

You don’t pay max to top option players easily rattled mentally, that’s already a red flag.

You said he was more Hedo than Dirk which is asinine.

It'll hurt the team way more if he were to walk because you shortchanged him for no apparent reason.

Look at how many games he's started in his 3 year career.

Pay him.
well, he really is rounding out to be more of hedo than dirk.

Even he himself admits that he has a role player mentality and still has to learn to have the killer instinct. Listen to JJ Redick’s podcast.

You can see his game was really off tonight, he overthink some shots especially when he was in the paint.

He just isn’t mentally groomed to be one of the team’s top option. This is not because of one game, it was already evident since last year. Franz defers to his teammates too much. He overanalyzes things to his own detriment. There were instances today when he would hesitate to shoot.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,962

Post#1622 » by thelead » Mon May 6, 2024 4:39 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
thelead wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
You can't pay someone based on 3pt shooting. By your theory Cleveland shouldn't have paid LeBron because he shot 31% from 3 in year 4 and 5.

He has no jumper at all right now though. He doesn't have a midrange game either. It's actually amazing how good he is on offense with the glaring holes in his game.

You think that's what management is going to tell his agent?

I'm guessing it's going to go down something like this:
FO: We love what you brought to our team and want to give you a ~30 mil per contract
Agent: We earned a max
FO: We just don't think we've seen that level of improvement but we want to show that we are committed to Franz so we'll do ~$32 mil per
Agent: No, we earned a max
FO: Ok, he has a full season to prove it and we can then give him a max next summer

It may not be 'great' for the relationship but there is no need to rush into a max contract for a player that hasn't proven to be a max player yet. He may very well get there next year but he hasn't put it all together yet.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,558

Post#1623 » by ibraheim718 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:40 am

basketballRob wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Yes.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

You're going to lose that negotiation in like 2 seconds flat.
He didn't play well enough to get the max. Weltman will tell them that. Franz doesn't have to sign an extension.

He had a great year. You're focusing too much on the 3pt shooting and game 7.

All of you are setting yourself up to be disappointed and you're setting Franz up to be a scapegoat. He's going to get paid and he should. Who else deserves the money he's been a part of earning? The owner?
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#1624 » by ibraheim718 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:41 am

thelead wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
thelead wrote:He has no jumper at all right now though. He doesn't have a midrange game either. It's actually amazing how good he is on offense with the glaring holes in his game.

FO: We love what you brought to our team and want to give you a ~30 mil per contract
FO: We just don't think we've seen that level of improvement but we want to show that we are committed to Franz so we'll do ~$32 mil per
FO: Ok, he has a full season to prove it and we can then give him a max next summer

It may not be 'great' for the relationship but there is no need to rush into a max contract for a player that hasn't proven to be a max player yet. He may very well get there next year but he hasn't put it all together yet.

I guarantee you it's not going to go down like that.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#1625 » by ibraheim718 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:42 am

fendilim wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
fendilim wrote:he aint no dirk. Lol

Even hedo in his prime didnt get a max contract.

Dirk was already all nba 3rd team in his 3rd season.

Franz isn’t a max player, if he is offered the max, that’s gonna hurt the team in the long run. Near max maybe, but definitely not max level.

You don’t pay max to top option players easily rattled mentally, that’s already a red flag.

It'll hurt the team way more if he were to walk because you shortchanged him for no apparent reason.

Pay him.

Even he himself admits that he has a role player mentality and still has to learn to have the killer instinct. Listen to JJ Redick’s podcast.

You can see his game was really off tonight, he overthink some shots especially when he was in the paint.

He just isn’t mentally groomed to be one of the team’s top option. This is not because of one game, it was already evident since last year. Franz defers to his teammates too much. He overanalyzes things to his own detriment. There were instances today when he would hesitate to shoot.

What does this mean? I don't even understand this. Who is responsible for grooming him mentally?
thelead
RealGM

Post#1626 » by thelead » Mon May 6, 2024 4:42 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
thelead wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

I guarantee you it's not going to go down like that.

You may be right... I'm not saying my scenario is more likely than not... I'm just saying that it is how it 'should' go down if Franz' group is dead-set on a max deal.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#1627 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 4:45 am

There's two options basically.

Option A: The Magic offer him the max (or VERY, VERY close to it) and he agrees to the extension.

Option B: The Magic don't offer him the max, he doesn't agree to an extension, and he goes into RFA in the summer of 2025.

If the Magic go with Option B, the only thing that will happen is that Franz will get a max offer from somebody else. And sure, the Magic will have the option to match, but the team extending the offer sheet can do something wonky like give him a poison pill of some kind that the Magic might not want him to have.

On top of that, there's always the possibility of pissing the player and his agent off by needlessly playing hard ball. What's to stop Franz from simply asking for a trade after the Magic match his RFA offer sheet in the summer of 2025?

There's a lot of ways it can go wrong, especially if the plan is to match whatever he gets in free agency a year from now anyway.

Give the guy his money, then if he doesn't uptick back up to a level from 3PT that you think is acceptable, just trade him away. He'll be a valuable commodity no matter what.
thelead
RealGM

Post#1628 » by thelead » Mon May 6, 2024 4:48 am

Knightro wrote:There's two options basically.

Option A: The Magic offer him the max (or VERY, VERY close to it) and he agrees to the extension.

Option B: The Magic don't offer him the max, he doesn't agree to an extension, and he goes into RFA in the summer of 2025.

If the Magic go with Option B, the only thing that will happen is that Franz will get a max offer from somebody else. And sure, the Magic will have the option to match, but the team extending the offer sheet can do something wonky like give him a poison pill of some kind that the Magic might not want him to have.

On top of that, there's always the possibility of pissing the player and his agent off by needlessly playing hard ball. What's to stop Franz from simply asking for a trade after the Magic match his RFA offer sheet in the summer of 2025?

There's a lot of ways it can go wrong, especially if the plan is to match whatever he gets in free agency a year from now anyway.

Give the guy his money, then if he doesn't uptick back up to a level from 3PT that you think is acceptable, just trade him away. He'll be a valuable commodity no matter what.

what's his actual max considering the cap jump?
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#1629 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 4:54 am

When are Suggs and Franz extension coming up? I thought it was next offseason not this. I thought we can seriously walk into Free Agency and get a big fish
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1630 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 4:56 am

MasterGMer wrote:When are Suggs and Franz extension coming up? I thought it was next offseason not this. I thought we can seriously walk into Free Agency and get a big fish

Franz and Suggs are extension eligible this summer, but the extensions wouldn't actually begin until the 2025-2026 season.

They're under contract for 9.2M (Suggs) and 7M (Franz) for next season.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#1631 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 4:56 am

Franz would be one of the top 5 worst max contracts given out in rookie extensions. They aren't going to do that.

MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#1632 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 4:57 am

Knightro wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:When are Suggs and Franz extension coming up? I thought it was next offseason not this. I thought we can seriously walk into Free Agency and get a big fish

Franz and Suggs are extension eligible this summer, but the extensions wouldn't actually begin until the 2025-2026 season.

They're under contract for 9.2M (Suggs) and 7M (Franz) for next season.

When is the deadline to finish negotiating the extensions then? This summer?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1633 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 4:59 am

thelead wrote:what's his actual max considering the cap jump?

0-6 years in the league, that max is 25% of the cap.

So a max for Franz would start at approximately $38.75M in the 2025-2026 season on a projected 155M cap.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1634 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 5:00 am

MasterGMer wrote:When is the deadline to finish negotiating the extensions then? This summer?

Like the day before the first game of the regular season. So mid October.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#1635 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 5:02 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
fendilim wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

Pay him.

What does this mean? I don't even understand this. Who is responsible for grooming him mentally?
growing up in europe
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=iLAy6FEi9caa6E4C9teZYQ
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#1636 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 5:02 am

From what I looked, Franz Qualifying offer and RFA is this summer and Jalen Suggs is 2025 summer.

We also have a club option for Joe ingles and Moe Wagner this summer
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1637 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 5:04 am

Knightro wrote:There's two options basically.

Maxey didn't play like he was upset this year. The reason they did that was because his cap hold is $17m, and they'll be able to have more cap room and then give Maxey the max after they use the cap space. We could do this with Franz because his cap hold is $21m. Potentially, we could clear enough to sign Mitchell or White.

fendilim
RealGM

Post#1638 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 5:07 am

ibraheim718 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
You're going to lose that negotiation in like 2 seconds flat.
He didn't play well enough to get the max. Weltman will tell them that. Franz doesn't have to sign an extension.

He had a great year. You're focusing too much on the 3pt shooting and game 7.

All of you are setting yourself up to be disappointed and you're setting Franz up to be a scapegoat. He's going to get paid and he should. Who else deserves the money he's been a part of earning? The owner?

Other players that can help improve the team.

There’s definitely a reason to pay Franz, but for how much. The gist is not to overpay for potential.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1639 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 5:08 am

basketballRob wrote:Maxey didn't play like he was upset this year. The reason they did that was because his cap hold is $17m, and they'll be able to have more cap room and then give Maxey the max after. We could do this with Franz because his cap hold is $21m. Potentially, we could clear enough to sign Mitchell or White.

Are you willing for the Magic to nothing this summer? Are you also willing to not extend Suggs and take him into restricted free agency too? Because that's pretty much only way the Magic could get enough cap space NEXT summer to actually sign somebody like Mitchell or White outright.

The 76ers intentionally set things up to where their entire roster outside of Embiid was coming off the books by trading Harden for just expiring contracts.

The Magic are not in the same position.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1640 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 5:15 am

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Maxey didn't play like he was upset this year. The reason they did that was because his cap hold is $17m, and they'll be able to have more cap room and then give Maxey the max after. We could do this with Franz because his cap hold is $21m. Potentially, we could clear enough to sign Mitchell or White.

Are you willing for the Magic to nothing this summer? Are you also willing to not extend Suggs and take him into restricted free agency too? Because that's pretty much only way the Magic could get enough cap space NEXT summer to actually sign somebody like Mitchell or White outright.

The 76ers intentionally set things up to where their entire roster outside of Embiid was coming off the books by trading Harden for just expiring contracts.

The Magic are not in the same position.
I'd sign Suggs because his cap hold is $27m next season.

In that scenario, we'd sign 1 or 2 players to big 1 year contracts with a team option for year 2. We may even find a trade partner during the season like Indiana did with Pascal. If we didn't find a trade, we'd have cap space again. I just think this FA class is weak.

Return to Orlando Magic