ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1421 » by cedric76 » Thu May 2, 2024 8:32 pm

For those who r not sold on monk yet

Wepark, go for it, offer him 88 M front loaded
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#1422 » by CocoaFan » Thu May 2, 2024 8:45 pm

cedric76 wrote:For those who r not sold on monk yet

Awesome find. Sign me up!
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,826

Post#1423 » by Audi » Thu May 2, 2024 8:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 422

Post#1424 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu May 2, 2024 9:22 pm

We are sitting here talking about players like Monk and Claxton and rationalizing how they are going to vault us into contention somehow.

Big deal, let's go get Lamelo Ball. He's a player who, if we add him to Paolo and Franz, we will then be contending.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1425 » by RichCollab » Thu May 2, 2024 9:51 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:We are sitting here talking about players like Monk and Claxton and rationalizing how they are going to vault us into contention somehow.

Big deal, let's go get Lamelo Ball. He's a player who, if we add him to Paolo and Franz, we will then be contending.

Lamelo isn’t on the market. Gets injured frequently. Is going to want Max.

Monk isn’t going to even be close to max. Dynamic 3 level scorer who will punish you if you leave him to double someone else. He doesn’t need to elevate his game to start he is just behind Fox.
three3d
Junior
And1: 65

Post#1426 » by three3d » Thu May 2, 2024 9:58 pm

Skybox wrote:
three3d wrote:Remember when we briefly had Patrick Beverly last season? Pretty sure we all knew he’d never play for us and after that his remarks about us this season he’s toxic and hated here BUT he would have been a nice piece for the bench this season.

Wouldn’t he be our starting PG? Shouldn’t he?

Not saying that’s a desirable outcome- only that we don’t have any other viable options

Sadly he would have probably been a better option than what we had this season but realistically he would have been a valuable veteran, and a tough defensive nuisance off the bench.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer

Post#1427 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:00 pm

RichCollab wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:We are sitting here talking about players like Monk and Claxton and rationalizing how they are going to vault us into contention somehow.

Lamelo isn’t on the market. Gets injured frequently. Is going to want Max.

Monk isn’t going to even be close to max. Dynamic 3 level scorer who will punish you if you leave him to double someone else. He doesn’t need to elevate his game to start he is just behind Fox.

Lamelo may stay healthy if he plays with Orlando's defenders. He isn't on the market but Charlotte still cant find out how to put a team around him and we could offer a pretty nice package to get him.

I also just question how discussing names like Monk and Claxton manages to not only hold your attention but also actually inspire confidence that acquiring them will somehow drastically improve the team.

If we replace Gary with Monk and the team is better next year, I believe it will be mainly because Paolo and Franz continue to get better not because of Monk who will like clock in a sub 20% usage on our team.

He's a 2guard anyways and we already have Suggs.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Post#1428 » by KillMonger » Thu May 2, 2024 10:21 pm

People may be trying to skip steps here, I don't think one player all of a sudden will make us contenders, that player just isn't available.... 2nd of all since when is that weltmam's MO? He doesn't operate like that, I think the plan is to slow cook it and build around paolo and Franz until they make us a team worthy of contention... They may be trying to organically grow it so it's sustainable akin to the warriors and the nuggets rather than trying to Frankenstein something together too soon.... Or maybe I'm wrong who knows

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,802

Post#1429 » by Knightro » Thu May 2, 2024 10:49 pm

KillMonger wrote:People may be trying to skip steps here, I don't think one player all of a sudden will make us contenders, that player just isn't available.... 2nd of all since when is that weltmam's MO? He doesn't operate like that, I think the plan is to slow cook it and build around paolo and Franz until they make us a team worthy of contention... They may be trying to organically grow it so it's sustainable akin to the warriors and the nuggets rather than trying to Frankenstein something together too soon.... Or maybe I'm wrong who knows

The cap space is about to run out though.

By the time next summer (summer of 2025) rolls around Franz and Suggs are going to be making like $50M more combined than they make now.

Weltman might want to just let it organically grow, but the time to add is now before these extension eat up all the money.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer

Post#1430 » by The-Stallion70 » Thu May 2, 2024 10:59 pm

Knightro wrote:
KillMonger wrote:People may be trying to skip steps here, I don't think one player all of a sudden will make us contenders, that player just isn't available.... 2nd of all since when is that weltmam's MO? He doesn't operate like that, I think the plan is to slow cook it and build around paolo and Franz until they make us a team worthy of contention... They may be trying to organically grow it so it's sustainable akin to the warriors and the nuggets rather than trying to Frankenstein something together too soon.... Or maybe I'm wrong who knows

By the time next summer (summer of 2025) rolls around Franz and Suggs are going to be making like $50M more combined than they make now.

Weltman might want to just let it organically grow, but the time to add is now before these extension eat up all the money.

Right because we can use Bird rights to re sign our own guys, thus the cap number will not come into play.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,917

Post#1431 » by basketballRob » Thu May 2, 2024 11:01 pm

Knightro wrote:

We signed Rashard Lewis in the summer before Jameer and Dwight's 4th season. So this is the summer before Franz' and Suggs' 4th season.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,802

Post#1432 » by Knightro » Thu May 2, 2024 11:03 pm

Honestly this is like team building through the draft 101.

1. Hit on multiple draft picks
2. Spend your cap flexibility on veteran talent to supplement your young draft picks while they’re still locked into under market rookie deals.
3. Exceed the salary cap to extend your young drafted players.

This is literally the formula.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Post#1433 » by KillMonger » Thu May 2, 2024 11:14 pm

Malik monk is probably the target i feel most comfortable with..... When he was with the lakers he also said he wanted to stay but when sac came with the money he left so there is precedent there, I think his words was "if everything is equal he would stay in sac" but will everything be equal? I don't think so .... I also think he is an underrated playmaker.... Especially since with our brand of basketball we don't really require a ball dominant guard... Something like 4/85 or 4/90 with no state tax should be enough when sac can only offer 4/78

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#1434 » by Skybox » Fri May 3, 2024 12:22 am

KillMonger wrote:Malik monk is probably the target i feel most comfortable with..... When he was with the lakers he also said he wanted to stay but when sac came with the money he left so there is precedent there, I think his words was "if everything is equal he would stay in sac" but will everything be equal? I don't think so .... I also think he is an underrated playmaker.... Especially since with our brand of basketball we don't really require a ball dominant guard... Something like 4/85 or 4/90 with no state tax should be enough when sac can only offer 4/78

Tale reminds us that he was making vet min in LA in his 5th season after CHA let him walk after 4 uneventful years.

On the flip…his scoring went up every season other than once when it stayed the same. Same exact story with assists…which took a leap upward this season- even in a reserve role.

He’s really intriguing…and seems to be absolutely ours if FO decides that’s who they want. I just don’t see the same fit in SAS and DET already has too many on-ball guards. PHI already has their Maxey…maybe Monk is ours. Maxey is the epitome of what we are looking for (without the max).
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,560

Post#1435 » by eyriq » Fri May 3, 2024 12:26 am

Knightro wrote:Honestly this is like team building through the draft 101.

1. Hit on multiple draft picks
2. Spend your cap flexibility on veteran talent to supplement your young draft picks while they’re still locked into under market rookie deals.
3. Exceed the salary cap to extend your young drafted players.

This is literally the formula.
So you think they'll add a player to be in our top three scorers, or will they target role players?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,785

Post#1436 » by Skybox » Fri May 3, 2024 12:33 am

CocoaFan wrote:
cedric76 wrote:For those who r not sold on monk yet

Awesome find. Sign me up!

Yep and I love the front-load. I’d make one inquiry on Murray…and if it’s not happening- go get Monk.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1437 » by RichCollab » Fri May 3, 2024 12:34 am

Skybox wrote:
KillMonger wrote:Malik monk is probably the target i feel most comfortable with..... When he was with the lakers he also said he wanted to stay but when sac came with the money he left so there is precedent there, I think his words was "if everything is equal he would stay in sac" but will everything be equal? I don't think so .... I also think he is an underrated playmaker.... Especially since with our brand of basketball we don't really require a ball dominant guard... Something like 4/85 or 4/90 with no state tax should be enough when sac can only offer 4/78

Tale reminds us that he was making vet min in LA in his 5th season after CHA let him walk after 4 uneventful years.

On the flip…his scoring went up every season other than once when it stayed the same. Same exact story with assists…which took a leap upward this season- even in a reserve role.

He’s really intriguing…and seems to be absolutely ours if FO decides that’s who they want. I just don’t see the same fit in SAS and DET already has too many on-ball guards. PHI already has their Maxey…maybe Monk is ours. Maxey is the epitome of what we are looking for (without the max).

FVV seems like the epitome.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,713

Post#1438 » by Viper1500 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:50 am

Option A (GO FOR IT!!): Trade for a substantial upgrade at guard without giving up Banchero, Franz, Suggs or Isaac.

Option B (Big swing but still relatively safe): Monk

Option C (Play it safe): Tyus Jones + a shooter (GTJ, Malik Beasley, Caleb Martin)

I'm really hoping for one of the first two options
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,900

Post#1439 » by Message Boar » Fri May 3, 2024 4:24 am

Bill Simmons ( :lol: source, I know) just said that if he were Paul George, he'd sign with the Magic this offseason. How would you feel about that? He was one of my favorite players when he was younger, but I feel like he'd be an odd fit now, even though he can shoot and he's obviously still a good player. him at SG does kind of fit our vision of positional (over)size, and you'd think he'd be able to defer to Paolo and Franz.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#1440 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 3, 2024 4:41 am

Message Boar wrote:Bill Simmons ( :lol: source, I know) just said that if he were Paul George, he'd sign with the Magic this offseason. How would you feel about that? He was one of my favorite players when he was younger, but I feel like he'd be an odd fit now, even though he can shoot and he's obviously still a good player. him at SG does kind of fit our vision of positional (over)size, and you'd think he'd be able to defer to Paolo and Franz.

If PG is smart enough, he'd know Magic is the best place for him to win. Philly? Really? They are one Joel Embiid injury away from missing the playoff

Return to Orlando Magic