ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1741 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:50 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
When is Suggs and Franz contract extension deadline?

Late October I think it’s the day before the season tips off.

I thought we didn't have to finish the extension with Franz or Suggs this summer at all? I thought they'd come next summer. Maybe I am wrong. I thought the QO is coming soon and they could hit RFA if they didn't have the extension, am i right?

They are entering their 4th and last year on rookie contract. So if they are not extended by the October deadline they will hit restricted free agency next summer.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#1742 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 9:51 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:Late October I think it’s the day before the season tips off.

I thought we didn't have to finish the extension with Franz or Suggs this summer at all? I thought they'd come next summer. Maybe I am wrong. I thought the QO is coming soon and they could hit RFA if they didn't have the extension, am i right?

They are entering their 4th and last year on rookie contract. So if they are not extended by the October deadline they will hit restricted free agency next summer.

How does that affect our cap space this offseason? Or we take the cap hit and finish the free agency first?
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,563

Post#1743 » by Bensational » Mon May 6, 2024 9:52 pm

Knightro wrote:I just don't understand why you guys are talking about free agency in the summer of 2025.

Do you really think they're not going to acquire anybody this summer and just punt on improving the 2024-2025 roster?

Do you really think they're not going to extend Franz or Suggs and instead play the cap hold game to squeeze out more dollars?

Do you really think they're going to renounce Isaac, especially if he has a good season?

And for what? In the name of "chasing" guys who might not even reach free agency next summer?

C'mon.

It’s worth preserving space and keeping options open if the right deal doesn’t reveal itself before then. Trades are more likely where the big acquisitions come from and WePark don’t seem like the sort of operation to sign a guy with the intention of flipping him in a season or two.

But at some point they will have to add some guys that will become outgoing players in future transactions so they can’t sit on the cash for too long.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,923

Post#1744 » by RookieStar » Mon May 6, 2024 9:53 pm

eyriq wrote:What do we think the vision is for next season? Sustain the top 6 finish and compete in the first round? More ambitious?

Try to be a legit top-4 teams even assuming a lot of EC teams will be healthy is my guess.

Another is to have "insurance" like a Franz/JI/Sugga *knock on wood* injury won't derail our season like what happened to PHI/MIL/etc
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#1745 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 10:07 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
Skybox wrote:
fendilim wrote:There’s no question that we will and should retain Franz at all cost.

But offering him max right away without negotiating is malpractice.

Of course...

Here this board goes again (generally starting comments with that)...get real, not maxing Franz will not be a shock or disappointment to him or his agent. He's going to get a big deal, just not a max deal. That is not the same as hating him or not "retaining him" :noway:

and this is not anything like Shaq's situation. Franz is fine and will be here for a long time, unless he's traded for a star guard - which I wouldn't do for now...Franz is versatile enough to be a future All-Star and grow with and complement Paolo - but he's not Paolo.
He's not as talented as Paolo on offense but I would argue he's as good or better in all other areas of the game.

There's offense & defense, right?
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1746 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:14 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:

How does that affect our cap space this offseason? Or we take the cap hit and finish the free agency first?

So for this offseason and free agency they will both make against the cap their rookie scale deal. Franz is at 7 and Suggs is at 9. Now if they get extended this summer it doesn’t really affect anything until next offseason 2025 offseason. So even if stuff is announced none of that works against our cap space this summer
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1747 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:23 pm

Anyone watch the Ingles exit interview and think they already told him he won’t be back? Everything was in passed tense lol
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#1748 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 10:32 pm

CocoaFan wrote:You anti-Franz guys saying Franz had a poor season and horrible playoffs (and comparing him to Hedo) are just idiots and should stop. Franz improved in every category this year other than 3 point shooting and played well in the playoffs other than game 7. You are basing your entire opinion on his regressed 3 point shooting and 1 bad playoff game. His shooting %'s have been fine this season and I believe he's led the starters in +/- all 3 years he's played including 2 with Paolo. You need to pay attention to the games and not just the box scores.
start calling people “idiot” cause you’re hurt. Cute. :lol:

Narrative isnt because of one bad season, he just isn’t built to be an alpha. Even Franz himself admits it. Podcast was back in January. Its really his upbringing as a basketball player.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=iLAy6FEi9caa6E4C9teZYQ

I have been saying this since last year, Franz has all the tools to be a great player, possibly even better than Paolo. But the difference is Paolo has mentally been alpha at a young age. Franz isn’t. He defers to teammates often. That’s why he can’t be batman.

Go back to games last season, he had multiple games where we were down heavy, and he only attempted 5 attempts the whole game. That’s another proof of what JJ talked about last game, he said Franz admitted to him about being overanalyzer of things to Franz’ own detriment.

When you’re an alpha, you can’t have those moments when you’re easily rattled. Last night was just another example, Franz was afraid to shoot. You need to pay more attention to the game and watch his body language. Not just rely on +/-, its box score.

Comparison of being Hedo is because he is better suited as a facilitator on offense, its not a knack on him. That’s his strength.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#1749 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 10:42 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:

No effects this season.

Next season if they enter free agency, they have a cap hold, and that limits our ability to sign free agents even if they are free agents (I think since cap hold is likex3 of previous salary or something like that, not sure).

That’s why this year is the best time to play the free agency game.

Unless we can convince Franz and Suggs to go what the Sixers did with Maxey. Delay extension and enter free agency so they’ll have better cap space this year (since Maxey’s hold is low because previously salary is smaller).

I don’t think Suggs would be willing to delay, just my opinion. The way he plays like a wrecking ball, I’m sure he would like to have guaranteed money.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1750 » by RookieStar » Mon May 6, 2024 10:46 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
drsd wrote:
Message Boar wrote:Two quick thoughts that have not been properly brainstormed out yet:

1) In light of the Kidd extension mid-playoffs, if we were to angle to snatch an unhappy Luka from the Mavs, be it by trade demand or free agency walk, what summer would that happen in and how do we position ourselves accordingly?

2) Is it at all feasible to roll over our cap space until next season's trade deadline or summer, signing only cheap and 1-year deals? Since the Suggs/Franz extensions don't actually kick in until next year and this free agency class is bad. IE can we be big spenders in 2025 free agency if we want to?

There are very few players the Magic would trade F-Wagner or Suggs for. For Dončić, the Magic trade both and feel like they won the trade. A team with Dončić and Banchero would win NBA titles; yes plural.
Are you serious? 2 ball dominant players that don't play consistent defense. How's that working out for the Clippers and Suns?

It kinda worked with Luka and Brunson... and so far its working with Luka and Kyrie... So I dunno....
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1751 » by RookieStar » Mon May 6, 2024 10:48 pm

BTW... To those saying that because Franz shot poorly THIS SEASON, he shouldnt get the max....

Didn't we LAST SEASON, were crying that for a 6'11 forward he doesn't get rebounds at all and should work on that? What happened? Didn't he increase most of his stats except for the shooting one?
BlueBalls
Starter
And1: 710

Post#1752 » by BlueBalls » Mon May 6, 2024 11:02 pm

Weltman today:

“Since January 1st we were the 14th 3PT% team in the NBA. He added he doesn’t believe the team lacks shooting and that it’s part of “internal growth”. Mentioned he feels it’s an area “we want to look to get better, but not at the expense” of the teams DNA.

I’ve been telling you he’s awful and he’s not going to change. You don’t have to listen to me. He’s telling you on his own.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#1753 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 11:09 pm

BlueBalls wrote:Weltman today:

“Since January 1st we were the 14th 3PT% team in the NBA. He added he doesn’t believe the team lacks shooting and that it’s part of “internal growth”. Mentioned he feels it’s an area “we want to look to get better, but not at the expense” of the teams DNA.

I’ve been telling you he’s awful and he’s not going to change. You don’t have to listen to me. He’s telling you on his own.

Weltman always plays it safe and doesn’t throw his team under the bus.

He’ll also look stupid to criticize his own creation. :lol:

WeHam, btw, was the architect of the Bucks’ championship core that was a treadmill team, until Weltman got hired by the Magic and the succeeding management decided to acquire shooters. :lol:
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,857

Post#1754 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:22 pm

Good job Weltman. Sell low so the free agent don’t try to take advantage. ;)
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#1755 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 11:40 pm

He does this every season. He will carve out some metric to reinforce the idea that he doesn’t need to do anything. He will say one thing and then do another regardless of if it makes sense or not.

I feel like Weltman is the “path of least resistance” GM in the aspect that he would sooner take zero risks (trading 2nds, expiring player contracts, redshirting Okeke as a punt, adding limited guys to fill out a roster, etc) rather than taking an informed calculated one.

I’ve said it before… outside of the draft, every role player on this team was here PRIOR to drafting their big 3. Ingles is the only exception… and he’s 38 fcking years old. They simply do not make decisions.

It would not surprise me at ALL if they resign some of these scrubs to “team friendly” deals because they lack the balls to look elsewhere and it’s the safest option imaginable.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,078

Post#1756 » by SOUL » Mon May 6, 2024 11:54 pm

If Weltman isn't going to straight up take a picture of the whiteboard like Hennigan, he should tell us who he's going to get in great detail, but only omitting the name in the end. That way surely nobody else can decipher our targets and only Magic fans will be able to rejoice with great delight!
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1757 » by RookieStar » Tue May 7, 2024 12:12 am

SOUL wrote:If Weltman isn't going to straight up take a picture of the whiteboard like Hennigan, he should tell us who he's going to get in great detail, but only omitting the name in the end. That way surely nobody else can decipher our targets and only Magic fans will be able to rejoice with great delight!

Weltman : you know... we kinda are looking atvyhis 6'8 wing who has a great 3pt shot. He also likes to have nicknames for the moment whether its the playoffs or the pandemic. Yeah he kinda bounced around as well one of them to LA. Nope we wont tell you who he is.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#1758 » by Knightro » Tue May 7, 2024 12:20 am

I obviously don’t like Weltman, but I also don’t think shooting is as big of a problem for this team as passing and playmaking is.

Every possession is such a slog because they just lack a dynamic ball handler capable of consistently creating easy looks for teammates.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,944

Post#1759 » by OrlandoDream » Tue May 7, 2024 1:17 am

Thats just the political answer. Weltman never shows his cards ahead of time.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#1760 » by CocoaFan » Tue May 7, 2024 1:18 am

fendilim wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:You anti-Franz guys saying Franz had a poor season and horrible playoffs (and comparing him to Hedo) are just idiots and should stop. Franz improved in every category this year other than 3 point shooting and played well in the playoffs other than game 7. You are basing your entire opinion on his regressed 3 point shooting and 1 bad playoff game. His shooting %'s have been fine this season and I believe he's led the starters in +/- all 3 years he's played including 2 with Paolo. You need to pay attention to the games and not just the box scores.
start calling people “idiot” cause you’re hurt. Cute. :lol:

Narrative isnt because of one bad season, he just isn’t built to be an alpha. Even Franz himself admits it. Podcast was back in January. Its really his upbringing as a basketball player.

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=iLAy6FEi9caa6E4C9teZYQ

I have been saying this since last year, Franz has all the tools to be a great player, possibly even better than Paolo. But the difference is Paolo has mentally been alpha at a young age. Franz isn’t. He defers to teammates often. That’s why he can’t be batman.

Go back to games last season, he had multiple games where we were down heavy, and he only attempted 5 attempts the whole game. That’s another proof of what JJ talked about last game, he said Franz admitted to him about being overanalyzer of things to Franz’ own detriment.

When you’re an alpha, you can’t have those moments when you’re easily rattled. Last night was just another example, Franz was afraid to shoot. You need to pay more attention to the game and watch his body language. Not just rely on +/-, its box score.

Comparison of being Hedo is because he is better suited as a facilitator on offense, its not a knack on him. That’s his strength.
Touche! The idiot reference was aimed at multiple posters saying Franz had a poor season and a terrible playoffs. His regular season was an improvement over previous years and he was averaging 21/4/7 through 6 games with 8 turnovers in the playoffs. In comparison Paolo through 6 games had 27 turnovers. You are right though frustration shouldn't lead to name calling. I do agree with your take on Franz not being an alpha. He to me seems like the ultimate connector piece which isn't bad. Every team needs one. I do think he will eventually improve his mid-range and 3 point shooting and hopefully reach his full potential

Return to Orlando Magic