ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 591

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1001 » by MasterGMer » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:30 am

What if the Suns want to part ways with either Booker or KD? And some might even said they are the worst super team ever? That will be very interesting. i know Magic has all the assets. But will we get involved?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,736

Post#1002 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 am

MasterGMer wrote:What if the Suns want to part ways with either Booker or KD? And some might even said they are the worst super team ever? That will be very interesting. i know Magic has all the assets. But will we get involved?

Booker would cost the most to get and he's the only one I'd pursue...even if they were truly blowing it up and rebuilding, you'd have to expect no deal without Franz or at least Suggs...I'd be all in for picks and anyone else. Booker is a tremendous talent AND a fierce competitor that would fit with our defensive demeanor and Paolo's mindset.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,096

Post#1003 » by Residual-Heat » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:27 am

Would love to add Booker, tough to give up one of our core 3. It doesnt matter anyway, the Suns prrobably wont trade him as they dont own their picks for the next 5 years and wont be able to tank.
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#1004 » by MasterGMer » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:31 am

Residual-Heat wrote:Would love to add Booker, tough to give up one of our core 3. It doesnt matter anyway, the Suns prrobably wont trade him as they dont own their picks for the next 5 years and wont be able to tank.

If I were the Suns, I'd more willing to trade KD than Booker
MasterGMer
Veteran

Post#1005 » by MasterGMer » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:47 am

There are news that Spurs is going to try to pursue James Harden in the offseason. Houston might be interested also to have a reunion. Does any of you think signing Harden to a team friendly deal could be a option for us? He could lead us in the PG spot, which is what we need. Plus he is a veteran. I think he can be the piece to take this Magic team to the next level.
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 277

Post#1006 » by meatwad4343 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:53 am

MasterGMer wrote:There are news that Spurs is going to try to pursue James Harden in the offseason. Houston might be interested also to have a reunion. Does any of you think signing Harden to a team friendly deal could be a option for us? He could lead us in the PG spot, which is what we need. Plus he is a veteran. I think he can be the piece to take this Magic team to the next level.

He's not taking less money to come to Orlando. We'd have to massively over pay for him to consider it and even then he's still probably going to Houston or another big market
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,793

Post#1007 » by Rainwater » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:11 am

MasterGMer wrote:There are news that Spurs is going to try to pursue James Harden in the offseason. Houston might be interested also to have a reunion. Does any of you think signing Harden to a team friendly deal could be a option for us? He could lead us in the PG spot, which is what we need. Plus he is a veteran. I think he can be the piece to take this Magic team to the next level.

No to Harden
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,516

Post#1008 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:45 pm

Cavs are a cautionary tale about accelerating an otherwise organic build with a high end player acquisition.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,736

Post#1009 » by Skybox » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:02 pm

eyriq wrote:Cavs are a cautionary tale about accelerating an otherwise organic build with a high end player acquisition.

Yes...the lesson is don't add or draft redundant mismatched players, even if they're great. Doesn't mean "settle" for where you are just because it's a "not terrible" place.

ORL might have a real hand in CLE's rebuild-even if CLE ultimately prevails... I think the CLE FO might be (discreetly) OK with Mitchell not re-upping and, essentially, forcing their hand. Garland and Mobley are a really promising young pair and they could still get some serious assets for Mitchell and they could consider moving Allen too...that's two relatively young All-Star level players. Mitchell, even with UFA concerns, would bring back a haul- I could see something beginning with Mikal Bridges, who would be a better fitting match.

When your roster, like ORL's, is having (some) encouraging success, while still having a glaring hole in their backcourt, the answers are a little safer to uncover. It's been an amazing 3 days...even more if you factor in holding CLE under 100 pts in the first two beatings...there's so much to be optimistic about and also to double-down on. Defense should not be compromised but the offense needs to be more versatile and efficient from outside...that's doable without stepping on Paolo and Franz' toes to a detrimental degree.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#1010 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:49 pm

Iirc Spida wants to go to KYK, but how feasible is that next year, and could these games make Donovan wonder what no state taxes and free trips to Disney are worth?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1011 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:52 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Iirc Spida wants to go to KYK, but how feasible is that next year, and could these games make Donovan wonder what no state taxes and free trips to Disney are worth?
If I'm Cleveland I'm trading Mitchell to Brooklyn for Bridges and Garland to Atlanta for Trae.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#1012 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:59 pm

eyriq wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:Iirc Spida wants to go to KYK, but how feasible is that next year, and could these games make Donovan wonder what no state taxes and free trips to Disney are worth?
If I'm Cleveland I'm trading Mitchell to Brooklyn for Bridges and Garland to Atlanta for Trae.

Wow. Do you think both those trades are remotely possible???

Maybe as one 3 team trade, but I would think it takes more than Garland to get Trae, and Bridges is not enough of a return for Don.

I know other players picks would be involved. I just can't imagine those two trades happening for Cleveland at the same time next season.
three3d
Junior
And1: 62

Post#1013 » by three3d » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:35 pm

What about a 21 year old 6’8” sg/pg ….? I’m referring to Josh Giddey of the OKC Thunder. A capable ball handler able to run pick and roll’s with Paolo and Franz, the 3pt % isn’t great but he will take them and provides rebounding and assists. Coming out with two 6’10” forwards in Paolo & Franz and a 6’8” pg/sg AND all three would be 21-22 years old think about that core growing together for 4-5 seasons hitting their prime together and that chemistry. If it only took JI and maybe some draft picks would not be worth it? Nothing against JI he’s great BUT the injuries in the past would be the only concern for the future.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,724

Post#1014 » by ogmagicfan » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:27 pm

three3d wrote:What about a 21 year old 6’8” sg/pg ….? I’m referring to Josh Giddey of the OKC Thunder. A capable ball handler able to run pick and roll’s with Paolo and Franz, the 3pt % isn’t great but he will take them and provides rebounding and assists. Coming out with two 6’10” forwards in Paolo & Franz and a 6’8” pg/sg AND all three would be 21-22 years old think about that core growing together for 4-5 seasons hitting their prime together and that chemistry. If it only took JI and maybe some draft picks would not be worth it? Nothing against JI he’s great BUT the injuries in the past would be the only concern for the future.

Josh Giddey is a mediocre shooter & bad defender

Isaac is a good shooter & arguably the best defender in the NBA

I'd rather roll the dice on Isaac's health than sell really low for a player who I don't believe can be a contributor on a contending team

G Diddy isnt who yall think he is :lol:
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 703

Post#1015 » by RichCollab » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:31 pm

We still have two rookies who both showed growth this year to add to the rotation.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,719

Post#1016 » by Knightro » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:43 pm

eyriq wrote:Cavs are a cautionary tale about accelerating an otherwise organic build with a high end player acquisition.

Are they actually though?

If it doesn’t work out with Mitchell and they’re forced to trade him, they’re left with… the same core group of Garland, Mobley and Allen that they started with?

Plus they’ll have whatever they get back for Mitchell, which will likely be significant.

I think it’s a trade you do 10 times out of 10 if you’re Cleveland.

If they let it grow organically, they’re probably stuck in no man’s land of being a 5-10 seed with no real chance to get out of the first round, but also not bad enough to get another impact player in the draft.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,926

Post#1017 » by thelead » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:05 pm

Knightro wrote:

If it doesn’t work out with Mitchell and they’re forced to trade him, they’re left with… the same core group of Garland, Mobley and Allen that they started with?

Plus they’ll have whatever they get back for Mitchell, which will likely be significant.

If they let it grow organically, they’re probably stuck in no man’s land of being a 5-10 seed with no real chance to get out of the first round, but also not bad enough to get another impact player in the draft.

They'll definitely be in a worse-off position if Mitchell has to be traded considering they traded good players AND half a decade's worth of picks. IMO, it's more of a cautionary tale about trading WAY too much for any player. Basketball has always been a team sport and handcuffing your future moves for 1 players hardly ever works out. I think of the stupidity of the Knicks trading for Carmelo as another example... except they at least knew he wanted to be there... still a stupid move for the Knicks. Hell, Denver is still enjoying the benefits of that trade as Jamal Murray was one of the 4 picks that the Knicks sent back to Denver. Then you have teams like the current Suns with 3 'stars' and no pieces around them. We see how that is going.

In short, I'm all for improving the team but anyone thinking about sending part of the core plus a ton of picks for a non-top-10 player is not thinking long-term.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1018 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:20 pm

Knightro wrote:

"September 3, 2022: Traded Ochai Agbaji, Lauri Markkanen, Collin Sexton, a 2025 1st round draft pick, a 2026 1st round draft pick, a 2027 1st round draft pick, a 2028 1st round draft pick and a 2029 1st round draft pick to the Utah Jazz for Donovan Mitchell. Cleveland also received a trade exception 2025 1st-rd pick is CLE own 2026 1st-rd pick is a right to swap 2027 1st-rd pick is CLE own 2028 1st-rd pick is a right to swap 2029 1st-rd pick is CLE own"

That's a lot of value for very little return. They went all in on a contender and now they're ready to fire their coach in the midst of an identity crisis.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,096

Post#1019 » by Residual-Heat » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:22 pm

Knightro wrote:

Dont forget they gave up Markannen in the trade, and he has been a 24 ppg guy in Utah. Would they really be much worse if they kept him and Sexton? You could argue Markannen was never going to break out in Cleveland, but I think eventually he wouldve. Cleveland only had Lauri for one season.

Thats not mentioning the 3 unprotected 1sts and 2 pick swaps that they gave up.

That was a lot to give up for Mitchell when you know that the Garland-Mitchell pairing might not work out. It just feels like they rushed it, especially knowing that Mitchell is a real flight risk when his contract expires.
GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,443

Post#1020 » by GelbeWand09 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:40 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:

"September 3, 2022: Traded Ochai Agbaji, Lauri Markkanen, Collin Sexton, a 2025 1st round draft pick, a 2026 1st round draft pick, a 2027 1st round draft pick, a 2028 1st round draft pick and a 2029 1st round draft pick to the Utah Jazz for Donovan Mitchell. Cleveland also received a trade exception 2025 1st-rd pick is CLE own 2026 1st-rd pick is a right to swap 2027 1st-rd pick is CLE own 2028 1st-rd pick is a right to swap 2029 1st-rd pick is CLE own"

That's a lot of value for very little return. They went all in on a contender and now they're ready to fire their coach in the midst of an identity crisis.

Minnesota is a positive example. Everyone laughed about the Gobert trade but he was Utah's best player & the floor raiser. They added a guy to improve their weakness (Defense) & they done it without losing McDaniels, instead send a extra pick who probably will never be as good as McDaniels is unlike the Cavs losing picks & good young players to double down on small guards.
Not a perfect trade (til they win a chip) because even without McDaniels they overpaid a bit pickwise, because Goberts value was at a alltime low leaquewide, but they are a real contender now instead of a laughing stock like the last 15 years.

Return to Orlando Magic