ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1661 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 11:02 am

Every player on that list put up better stats than Franz, and all of them shot way better than him.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1662 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 11:03 am

SOUL wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Franz isn't going to get the max because he couldn't shoot outside the paint this year, and his game was too easy to predict. He hasn't shown that he can be the second best player of a team that can contend.

I can agree with the premise of maxing or not in terms of it being an entire year decision, not 2-3 playoff games.
I've been saying for months that if he can't shoot, he isn't getting the max.

basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1663 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 11:08 am

Like Marks said, giving Franz the max would be a mistake like Denver made with Porter Jr

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#1664 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 11:08 am

axl_c_cool wrote:What would the deal be to get Murray?

Is Isaac + 3 FRP (including Denver’s) to little? If not for who?

I saw Black suggested, would much rather keep him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaxk has to be involved, imo. Or another guard. I dont see the upside to adding JI, because we are already thin in the frontcourt and we are flooded with guards. It makes the most sense to move a guard for a guard at this point. Unless there is another deal that would land us more big man depth.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#1665 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 11:13 am

basketballRob wrote:Every player on that list put up better stats than Franz, and all of them shot way better than him.

Franz had a down year and while I do think it will play a role during contract negotiations, I don’t think it will affect much because of the work he did in the first two years.

We’re basically rewarding him for the work he has put up, and not paying for potential. Once we start paying for potential, then things can get out of hand fast. I still think the Magic has to shell out a huge chunk of the cap for Franz, maybe even be forced to sign him to the max, but I would try to sign him for less.

And I believe Weltman will be able to do it. Just like how he did with Vuc, WCJ, and even for JI and Fultz which were good deals at that point in time.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#1666 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 11:50 am

Some of you are crazy. Franz is going to be retained.

He’s 22 and completely took over a game in this playoff series by himself. He just needs to be more consistent.. like all young players. I’m reserving criticism for guys like Paolo, Franz, and Suggs until next season.

People are somehow forgetting that these dudes are extremely young compared to their peers. Mobley was also garbage for most of this series and looked terrible most games. It’s going to happen to 95% of young guys not named Luka or Lebron at age 21-22.

If I’m the FO I’m retaining him and having him shoot all offseason. Opening up his driving game depends on his ability to stretch the floor.

Don’t be a Twitter or General Board casual as a prisoner of the moment. Franz is a beast.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1667 » by RichCollab » Mon May 6, 2024 11:50 am

People flipping this dramatically after seemingly one game is wild.

Franz intangibles are off the charts. Paolo ain’t going to be happy if you don’t take care of Franz.

How much money are people actually trying to save on Franz’s contract? We ran Shaq out of town. We haven’t learned a damn thing.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,386

Post#1668 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:55 am

Season ended in like 15 hours and i'm already annoyed with board :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1669 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:04 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Some of you are crazy. Franz is going to be retained.

He’s 22 and completely took over a game in this playoff series by himself. He just needs to be more consistent.. like all young players. I’m reserving criticism for guys like Paolo, Franz, and Suggs until next season.

People are somehow forgetting that these dudes are extremely young compared to their peers. Mobley was also garbage for most of this series and looked terrible most games. It’s going to happen to 95% of young guys not named Luka or Lebron at age 21-22.

If I’m the FO I’m retaining him and having him shoot all offseason. Opening up his driving game depends on his ability to stretch the floor.

Don’t be a Twitter or General Board casual as a prisoner of the moment. Franz is a beast.

This is what fans do. People will settle down and they will come back to reality. They will be retained but at what cost? Marks said on his offseason guide 18-20 million for Suggs Franz at 25-28. That to me seems wildly team friendly to me. That McDaniels deal really is a tough one as I think their agents would not be doing their job if they didn’t use that as a cudgel against the front office. This could be a long wait to know that information. As non max extension talks seem to drag on.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1670 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:06 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Season ended in like 15 hours and i'm already annoyed with board :lol:

Yea I guess I am desensitized to it. Been angry with this board for not enjoying this season ever since the rough part of schedule hit in January. There are things to fix but damn this season was a tremendous step forward.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
RichCollab
Starter

Post#1671 » by RichCollab » Mon May 6, 2024 12:09 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:

This is what fans do. People will settle down and they will come back to reality. They will be retained but at what cost? Marks said on his offseason guide 18-20 million for Suggs Franz at 25-28. That to me seems wildly team friendly to me. That McDaniels deal really is a tough one as I think their agents would not be doing their job if they didn’t use that as a cudgel against the front office. This could be a long wait to know that information. As non max extension talks seem to drag on.

Franz needs to work on his craft absolutely. 3 years ago we were hoping Fultz and JI would turn into magic unicorns from the depths of career threatening injuries to add talent to our team.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#1672 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 12:09 pm

basketballRob wrote:Like Marks said, giving Franz the max would be a mistake like Denver made with Porter Jr

They won the NBA championship.
RichCollab
Starter

Post#1673 » by RichCollab » Mon May 6, 2024 12:10 pm

Knightro wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Like Marks said, giving Franz the max would be a mistake like Denver made with Porter Jr

They won the NBA championship.

Denver seems pretty happy Porter stayed.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 683

Post#1674 » by BCS » Mon May 6, 2024 12:23 pm

Franz is not getting extended for the max this offseason, the Magic hold all the power. They will use his cap hold as a scapegoat. They will offer something around $30m if Franz wants to lock in a long term deal early but business wise it does not make sense for the Magic to do so this offseason.

Max for Franz I heard was $38m vs $21m cap hold, that is $17m in cap you lock yourself from being able to use if you extend him early, they will use this excuse, save face and delay the extension unless as I said Franz prefers to lock in a long term deal early because you never know with injuries or another bad shooting year and they will offer him something between $25-$30 as a "favor" to him. Not that complicated for the FO and not burning any bridges, just logic.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM Forums mobile app
fendilim
RealGM

Post#1675 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 12:26 pm

There’s no question that we will and should retain Franz at all cost.

But offering him max right away without negotiating is malpractice.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#1676 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 6, 2024 12:27 pm

Core at the minimum...

Franz / Suggs / Paolo.

Core at the middlemum

Franz / Suggs / Paolo / Mo / AB / Howard

Core at the Max

Franz / Suggs / Paolo / Mo / AB / Howard / Isaac / Harris

That is 7+ players to toy with. 5 of which are on rookie deals. We can afford to go out and get a solid C + G to offset that trash performance we saw from anyone not named Suggs.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#1677 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 6, 2024 12:31 pm

fendilim wrote:There’s no question that we will and should retain Franz at all cost.

But offering him max right away without negotiating is malpractice.

I think you negotiate.

But not today, you wait till after he goes up and hangs out with his German buddies some. Or cancun as they say.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Post#1678 » by PrimeThyme » Mon May 6, 2024 12:33 pm

I'll go ahead and go on record and say that I would not max the Franz Wagner we saw this season.

This was not a series of bad shooting, this was a season of it. I'm not as ready to chalk this season up to simply being a mirage. When you have an area of a player's game regress to this level, I think you really have to reconsider his developmental path and if dedicating the amount of summer he does to his national team is truly maximizing it.

With that said, I think his max contract has been signed, sealed, and delivered for a while, and that we will bet on the player like a small-market team should.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#1679 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 12:34 pm

BCS wrote:Franz is not getting extended for the max this offseason, the Magic hold all the power. They will use his cap hold as a scapegoat. They will offer something around $30m if Franz wants to lock in a long term deal early but business wise it does not make sense for the Magic to do so this offseason.

Max for Franz I heard was $38m vs $21m cap hold, that is $17m in cap you lock yourself from being able to use if you extend him early, they will use this excuse, save face and delay the extension unless as I said Franz prefers to lock in a long term deal early because you never know with injuries or another bad shooting year and they will offer him something between $25-$30 as a "favor" to him. Not that complicated for the FO and not burning any bridges, just logic.

Sent from my SM-A716U using RealGM Forums mobile app
I think this is the way it plays out, too. They aren't going to extend him a deal starting at $38m this offseason, but he may get it next offseason. That would give us $17m more in cap space to use in 2025 because his cap hold is $21m.

We could get a player like Brogdon, who has 1 year left and retain Harris and Ingles for a year. Then we'll have $40m in cap space again in 2025.

LongHairedBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 27

Post#1680 » by LongHairedBob » Mon May 6, 2024 12:42 pm

https://youtu.be/RZGef-JDpr8?si=GN2L4CuplEeBErFB

Playoff highlights...Competitor, playmaking skills, scoring, shooting. Exactly what we needed this series.
If it's sent by ship then it's a cargo, if it's sent by road then it's a shipment.
-- Dave Allen

Return to Orlando Magic