ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1681 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 1:21 pm

basketballRob wrote:Like Marks said, giving Franz the max would be a mistake like Denver made with Porter Jr

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

I think that's a really good comp...you shouldn't max a young guy for what he "could become". Franz is awesome but not a max - at least this time...If he takes it up a notch with the shooting and assists, next contract will be here before you know it...he's still young.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#1682 » by Message Boar » Mon May 6, 2024 1:22 pm

Two quick thoughts that have not been properly brainstormed out yet:

1) In light of the Kidd extension mid-playoffs, if we were to angle to snatch an unhappy Luka from the Mavs, be it by trade demand or free agency walk, what summer would that happen in and how do we position ourselves accordingly?

2) Is it at all feasible to roll over our cap space until next season's trade deadline or summer, signing only cheap and 1-year deals? Since the Suggs/Franz extensions don't actually kick in until next year and this free agency class is bad. IE can we be big spenders in 2025 free agency if we want to?
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,944

Post#1683 » by OrlandoDream » Mon May 6, 2024 1:26 pm

LongHairedBob wrote:https://youtu.be/RZGef-JDpr8?si=GN2L4CuplEeBErFB

Playoff highlights...Competitor, playmaking skills, scoring, shooting. Exactly what we needed this series.

It makes just way too much sense. Bunch of insiders are pinning us to signing Malik Monk and can you blame them? The fit is so obvious. Some quick notes;

- The Malik Monk this year is not the same we saw in LA. From Kings insiders, they crave on his dynamic scoring and improved playmaking. basically when fox is not on the floor...he is the floor general. Yes he can shoot and we need that but we need someone to help Paolo set up with the halfcourt offense. You saw it with cavs. Once teams slow us down and we have to generate offense in the halfcourt, its Paolo 1vs1 and dish our to ......CLANK. So predictable.

- Malik Monk is the type of player that would blossom alongside Suggs. Its no secret we were interested in a similar mold player in Quckley before NY traded him to TOR. Combo guard, decent defense, sniper, and age fits the timeline of our core.

- We can sign him outright without giving up our assets (picks, AB, Jett) while still maintaining cap flexibility to resign franz and suggs this summer. Would targeting Simons be a better offense upgrade? Possibly but at what cost? Also Simons is not a great defender which is the identity of this team. Idk how much we go into someone like that.

- The signs are everywhere. Malik Monk and his skillset fit this teams needs just too much. I suspect its already in the works. Looks at Fox end of end-of-season press conference. His face and reactions when asked about Malik says it all. He knows offers are coming that Kings cant match.

- June 20th 2024 at 6:00, Im pretty much expecting Weltman to offer Malik Monk a 4 year 90-95mil range deal.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1684 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 1:28 pm

fendilim wrote:There’s no question that we will and should retain Franz at all cost.

But offering him max right away without negotiating is malpractice.

Of course...

Here this board goes again (generally starting comments with that)...get real, not maxing Franz will not be a shock or disappointment to him or his agent. He's going to get a big deal, just not a max deal. That is not the same as hating him or not "retaining him" :noway:

and this is not anything like Shaq's situation. Franz is fine and will be here for a long time, unless he's traded for a star guard - which I wouldn't do for now...Franz is versatile enough to be a future All-Star and grow with and complement Paolo - but he's not Paolo.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#1685 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 6, 2024 1:35 pm

Skybox wrote:
fendilim wrote:There’s no question that we will and should retain Franz at all cost.

But offering him max right away without negotiating is malpractice.

Of course...

Here this board goes again (generally starting comments with that)...get real, not maxing Franz will not be a shock or disappointment to him or his agent. He's going to get a big deal, just not a max deal. That is not the same as hating him or not "retaining him" :noway:

and this is not anything like Shaq's situation. Franz is fine and will be here for a long time, unless he's traded for a star guard - which I wouldn't do for now...Franz is versatile enough to be a future All-Star and grow with and complement Paolo - but he's not Paolo.

Bingo. Franz is going to get plenty of money.

Go, give him an offer. Play the dance, do the business. But I promise you it won't be veterans minimum.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#1686 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 1:46 pm

Message Boar wrote:Two quick thoughts that have not been properly brainstormed out yet:

1) In light of the Kidd extension mid-playoffs, if we were to angle to snatch an unhappy Luka from the Mavs, be it by trade demand or free agency walk, what summer would that happen in and how do we position ourselves accordingly?

2) Is it at all feasible to roll over our cap space until next season's trade deadline or summer, signing only cheap and 1-year deals? Since the Suggs/Franz extensions don't actually kick in until next year and this free agency class is bad. IE can we be big spenders in 2025 free agency if we want to?

There are very few players the Magic would trade F-Wagner or Suggs for. For Dončić, the Magic trade both and feel like they won the trade. A team with Dončić and Banchero would win NBA titles; yes plural.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#1687 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 1:49 pm

The Magic could have almost $60m in cap space in 2025.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/cap/_/year/2025/sort/cap_total

George3265
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#1688 » by George3265 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:52 pm

The only superstar that we can realistically trade for may be Booker. I would throw anything besides Paolo to get him.
Simons should be available and all it may take is A.B and picks
Cade Cunningham would be another trade target I would look at as well.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1689 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:55 pm

basketballRob wrote:The Magic could have almost $60m in cap space in 2025.

Ok yes but not practically Franz and Suggs will most likely get extensions eating into most of that.

They need to spend the cap space this summer. As wisely as possible but you need those salary room up past the cap as salary spots for trade.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#1690 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 2:02 pm

Suggs+WCJ+JI for a disgruntled star, Claxton, and Monk or Tyus or Klay
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,233

Post#1691 » by cedric76 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:07 pm

LongHairedBob wrote:https://youtu.be/RZGef-JDpr8?si=GN2L4CuplEeBErFB

Playoff highlights...Competitor, playmaking skills, scoring, shooting. Exactly what we needed this series.

Those Paolo -monk pick and rolls will be sexy next season
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#1692 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 2:09 pm

eyriq wrote:Suggs+WCJ+JI for a disgruntled star, Claxton, and Monk or Tyus or Klay

Respectfully. Absolutely the **** not.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#1693 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 2:12 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:

Ok yes but not practically Franz and Suggs will most likely get extensions eating into most of that.

They need to spend the cap space this summer. As wisely as possible but you need those salary room up past the cap as salary spots for trade.
That includes Franz, Suggs, and Isaac. We could offer a player like Derozan a 1 yr $32m deal.

bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1694 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:12 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Like Marks said, giving Franz the max would be a mistake like Denver made with Porter Jr

I think that's a really good comp...you shouldn't max a young guy for what he "could become". Franz is awesome but not a max - at least this time...If he takes it up a notch with the shooting and assists, next contract will be here before you know it...he's still young.

Ok that is all well and good to say but that is not practical. Teams give rookie extensions for projection all the damn time. Hell the pistons extension for Cade is going to shock the hell out of people and be in Franz favor. If Franz was a free agent this summer I can see several teams needing a starting wing giving him a max offer sheet. That doesn’t mean we just pay him a max I think there is some room to negotiate as he wants to be here and get security. But saying we should not pay salary for a young guy as projection then you will lose him because many teams will. If your saying we should wait and forcehim to go to restricted FA that might have to be an option but it’s a break glass in case of emergency option. Something just tells me Franz will be reasonable.
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#1695 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 2:14 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
eyriq wrote:Suggs+WCJ+JI for a disgruntled star, Claxton, and Monk or Tyus or Klay

I'm probably with you. Just letting the framework marinate a bit.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,505

Post#1696 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:24 pm

eyriq wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I'm probably with you. Just letting the framework marinate a bit.

Suggs is not going anywhere.

Cole, JI, WCJ, Black, Jett + any and all picks are up for discussion along with signing free agents outright. That is plenty to upgrade an already fast rising roster.

There is no reason whatsoever to discuss Suggs or Franz. Case closed.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1697 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 2:33 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Ok that is all well and good to say but that is not practical. Teams give rookie extensions for projection all the damn time. Hell the pistons extension for Cade is going to shock the hell out of people and be in Franz favor. If Franz was a free agent this summer I can see several teams needing a starting wing giving him a max offer sheet. That doesn’t mean we just pay him a max I think there is some room to negotiate as he wants to be here and get security. But saying we should not pay salary for a young guy as projection then you will lose him because many teams will. If your saying we should wait and forcehim to go to restricted FA that might have to be an option but it’s a break glass in case of emergency option. Something just tells me Franz will be reasonable.

Oh yeah, he'll get a load of money...I'm only contending that it won't be a max. IF it gets to RFA next summer, that would indicate Franz is betting on himself to earn a max - which we would pay to retain him...but I think he signs quickly and for a lot THIS summer...just not a max. There's zero reasons to give a max extension a year ahead of RFA, the whole point is to lock them up for a win-win deal, in exchange for long-term certainty (for the player). The exception is the no-brainer superstars - which I think Paolo is.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1698 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:38 pm

Skybox wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Oh yeah, he'll get a load of money...I'm only contending that it won't be a max. IF it gets to RFA next summer, that would indicate Franz is betting on himself to earn a max - which we would pay to retain him...but I think he signs quickly and for a lot THIS summer...just not a max. There's zero reasons to give a max extension a year ahead of RFA, the whole point is to lock them up for a win-win deal, in exchange for long-term certainty (for the player). The exception is the no-brainer superstars - which I think Paolo is.

What is the max number you are ok with?
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1699 » by bigdogdylan5 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:39 pm

basketballRob wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:

That includes Franz, Suggs, and Isaac. We could offer a player like Derozan a 1 yr $32m deal.

That includes their cap holds and renouncing everyone else holds?

I am confused where the 60 million comes from
Total committed salary: 55 million
Cap holds of Isaac Franz and Suggs: about 80 million

With a normal increase the cap should be at a little under 150.
jvdas
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#1700 » by jvdas » Mon May 6, 2024 2:40 pm

My thoughts considering free agency and possible contract extensions:

- Franz after this season is not a max player. He should get 100/5 - 130/5, everything above is an overpay. Like other posters suggested we could also try to play it out next season, check the performance, and see what happens in RFA.

- Suggs should be more in the 100/5 range, his defense is at an All-NBA level, but the offense way tho shaky in my opinion to get a bigger contract. If the FO decides to wait for on more season, similar to Franz, he could play himself in a way bigger contract.

- If you watched the few minutes Fultz played this series it showed alot about our deficencies. While being an absolute non threat from the perimeter he could create looks for himself and others just by his really good ballhandling and vision. Magic need a player like that combined with a 3 pointer, whoever that might be.

- I'm still down to go for the Banchero PG experiment, if we would have 3-4 40% shooters around him. If not, that playstyle will not be succesfull at all.

Return to Orlando Magic