ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1761 » by Knightro » Tue May 7, 2024 1:25 am

Bensational wrote:It’s worth preserving space and keeping options open if the right deal doesn’t reveal itself before then. Trades are more likely where the big acquisitions come from and WePark don’t seem like the sort of operation to sign a guy with the intention of flipping him in a season or two.

But at some point they will have to add some guys that will become outgoing players in future transactions so they can’t sit on the cash for too long.

There's no realistic path to having significant cap space in the summer of 2025 unless the Magic completely punt on improving next year's team.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#1762 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 1:32 am

Knightro wrote:.... I also don’t think shooting is as big of a problem for this team as passing and playmaking is.

And now I understand why we fight so much. :D

If I wrote this sentence, it would read: "I also don’t think passing and playmaking is as big of a problem for this team as (the lack of) shooting."

Let's just agree the Magic need to get better at both and be friends.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1763 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 1:36 am

Knightro wrote:There's no realistic path to having significant cap space in the summer of 2025 unless the Magic completely punt on improving next year's team.

And-1

Magic fans need to accept that the team will be in Cap hell from the 2025 season and onward, for say the subsequent five-years. This is the run - NOW - and that will cost money. Banchero, F-Wagner and Suggs will combine to make more than 100M between them, and that will swallow 65% of the cap. That leaves 35% of the cap for 12 other players. That is: Orlando will be over the cap from next-offseason when F-Wagner and Suggs contracts kick in. When Banchero's deal kicks in, the Magic will be pretty close to the first luxury curtain.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#1764 » by eyriq » Tue May 7, 2024 1:54 am

drsd wrote:
Knightro wrote:.... I also don’t think shooting is as big of a problem for this team as passing and playmaking is.

If I wrote this sentence, it would read: "I also don’t think passing and playmaking is as big of a problem for this team as (the lack of) shooting."

The Magic were #22 in offensive rating.

#15 in eFG%
#25 in TOV%
#7 in ORB%
#2 in FT/FGA

There's plenty of evidence that passing and play making is indeed our number one priority. The framework of a good offense is there. We just need to cut down on turnovers.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1765 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 2:00 am

eyriq wrote:
drsd wrote:

#15 in eFG%
#25 in TOV%
#7 in ORB%
#2 in FT/FGA

There's plenty of evidence that passing and play making is indeed our number one priority. The framework of a good offense is there. We just need to cut down on turnovers.

Fixed

#22 in 3PA
#27 in 3P%
#23 in FT%
#29 in FG%

There's plenty of evidence that shot selection and shooting percentages are indeed our number one priority. The framework of a good offense is there. We just need to cut down on turnovers.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1766 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 2:01 am

eyriq wrote:We just need to cut down on turnovers.

Here is the sentence Coach Mosley would agree with us both on!

EDIT: Just looked it up and Banchero lead the playoffs in TOs per game at 4.6. He was 9th in the regular season at 3.1 TOs per game.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#1767 » by Skybox » Tue May 7, 2024 2:12 am

drsd wrote:
Knightro wrote:There's no realistic path to having significant cap space in the summer of 2025 unless the Magic completely punt on improving next year's team.

And-1

Magic fans need to accept that the team will be in Cap hell from the 2025 season and onward, for say the subsequent five-years. This is the run - NOW - and that will cost money. Banchero, F-Wagner and Suggs will combine to make more than 100M between them, and that will swallow 65% of the cap. That leaves 35% of the cap for 12 other players. That is: Orlando will be over the cap from next-offseason when F-Wagner and Suggs contracts kick in. When Banchero's deal kicks in, the Magic will be pretty close to the first luxury curtain.

agree...and to add to that - there's no guarantee that ownership will happily pay tax penalties to retain even a good team. This is a small market in a city with limited consumers of expensive tickets and concessions...There's a limit to the amount of revenue the Magic, even as a playoff team, can generate and not every owner is like a Ballmer-type playing with an expensive toy without regard to millions of dollars. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that Weltman has already gotten marching orders about future cap realities in ORL. I'm not knocking them, but these are real concerns to people who inherited the team and maybe don't have the same passion for the project (aren't they all in Michigan?).
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1768 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:17 am

SOUL wrote:If Weltman isn't going to straight up take a picture of the whiteboard like Hennigan, he should tell us who he's going to get in great detail, but only omitting the name in the end. That way surely nobody else can decipher our targets and only Magic fans will be able to rejoice with great delight!

I just don’t get the people who absolutely hate him. The Magic have had a really bad track record with GMs. For god sakes we hired a hockey GM and thought that was a good idea. Otis Smith while yes he did sign and drastically overpay Rashard Lewis he was known for completely punting on draft and not caring about it. He overpaid crappy veterans like Duhon that made it impossible to retool around Howard. Almost Every move he made after 2009 one was wrong with maybe the exception of acquiring Ryan Anderson. Hennigan well we know the problems there and the white board fiasco and the terrible trades.

I am not saying we should settle but Weltman has earned some respect with the quick rebuild and some of his moves. Yes it’s not over and he does have his work cut out for him to take this to contention status. Will see how he does it. I just find it funny that fans biggest problem is he is patient with his players. I don’t think than is a bad quality.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1769 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:22 am

Skybox wrote:
drsd wrote:

And-1

agree...and to add to that - there's no guarantee that ownership will happily pay tax penalties to retain even a good team. This is a small market in a city with limited consumers of expensive tickets and concessions...There's a limit to the amount of revenue the Magic, even as a playoff team, can generate and not every owner is like a Ballmer-type playing with an expensive toy without regard to millions of dollars. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that Weltman has already gotten marching orders about future cap realities in ORL. I'm not knocking them, but these are real concerns to people who inherited the team and maybe don't have the same passion for the project (aren't they all in Michigan?).

We will have to see the father did earn my respect during the 2007-2012 era he did go into the tax to build a contending team. Will see if that changes under the children. We are in top half of attendance last year. I would hope they would be willing to go into the first apron if need be but I do not expect them to ever push into the second apron.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,563

Post#1770 » by Bensational » Tue May 7, 2024 2:27 am

Knightro wrote:
Bensational wrote:It’s worth preserving space and keeping options open if the right deal doesn’t reveal itself before then. Trades are more likely where the big acquisitions come from and WePark don’t seem like the sort of operation to sign a guy with the intention of flipping him in a season or two.

But at some point they will have to add some guys that will become outgoing players in future transactions so they can’t sit on the cash for too long.

There's no realistic path to having significant cap space in the summer of 2025 unless the Magic completely punt on improving next year's team.

Trade our 1st for Brogdon and use our cap space to absorb his expiring contract. Bring in another Ingles-like veteran on an expensive 1-and-1 deal. We improve next year’s team and preserve cap space.

There are realistic paths.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#1771 » by Knightro » Tue May 7, 2024 2:28 am

eyriq wrote:The Magic were #22 in offensive rating.

#15 in eFG%
#25 in TOV%
#7 in ORB%
#2 in FT/FGA

The Magic absolutely need to take and make more threes next year, but a huge part of their struggles this past season can simply be boiled down to Paolo and Franz leading the team in shots while not being very good at threes.

The rest of the team not named Paolo and Franz shot 36.6% from 3PT. 36.6% would jump the Magic from 24th in the league to 16th in the league in 3PT%.

The bigger issue offensively is the lack of passing and ball movement combined with the high number of turnovers.
drsd
RealGM

Post#1772 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 4:46 am

The Sixers presser on their roster: certainly sounds like neither Buddy Hield nor De'Anthony Melton would be brought back. At 5-8M a year, either could be a nice pick up for backup SG. For Hield, it probably needs to be a 1+1 thing. But for Melton, 4 years at 28M (averaging 7M per) could be a value pick up for Orlando.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,854

Post#1773 » by Rainwater » Tue May 7, 2024 6:23 am

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:The Magic were #22 in offensive rating.

#15 in eFG%
#25 in TOV%
#7 in ORB%
#2 in FT/FGA

The Magic absolutely need to take and make more threes next year, but a huge part of their struggles this past season can simply be boiled down to Paolo and Franz leading the team in shots while not being very good at threes.

The rest of the team not named Paolo and Franz shot 36.6% from 3PT. 36.6% would jump the Magic from 24th in the league to 16th in the league in 3PT%.

The bigger issue offensively is the lack of passing and ball movement combined with the high number of turnovers.

I feel like the bigger problem is Franz not Paolo. Paolo is just shooting few percentages below 36.6% at 34% while Franz is shooting 28%.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Post#1774 » by KillMonger » Tue May 7, 2024 7:02 am

Read on Twitter

Parker added the process “will be vetted out and sometimes the best decision is no decision”

sometimes the best decision is no decision"

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,195

Post#1775 » by zaymon » Tue May 7, 2024 7:55 am

KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Parker added the process “will be vetted out and sometimes the best decision is no decision”

Well you cant show your hand before a game. Biggest leverage gives you ability to stand from the table. For example it will be much harder for Atlanta to keep both Murray and Young or Suns to keep Booker, Beal and Durant.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 130

Post#1776 » by byeganyo » Tue May 7, 2024 10:49 am

eyriq wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
eyriq wrote:Going all in now and coming up short opens the door to the same issues that drove KG out of Minnesota. Is their current build sustainable and what will they do roster wise to contend during Edwards prime?

Ant seems ready to me. Gobert and Towns are ready.
Ready to get beat in the second round.

So?
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 855

Post#1777 » by I Rasharted » Tue May 7, 2024 10:50 am

Problem with trading for Murray is that the Hawks know the Magic could really use him. Barrel = over. Not sure what ORL can do about that.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#1778 » by eyriq » Tue May 7, 2024 11:42 am

byeganyo wrote:
eyriq wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Ant seems ready to me. Gobert and Towns are ready.
Ready to get beat in the second round.

So?
I'm an idiot
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#1779 » by tiderulz » Tue May 7, 2024 11:54 am

drsd wrote:
eyriq wrote:We just need to cut down on turnovers.

Here is the sentence Coach Mosley would agree with us both on!

EDIT: Just looked it up and Banchero lead the playoffs in TOs per game at 4.6. He was 9th in the regular season at 3.1 TOs per game.

tied with Anthony Edwards. Jokic .1 less, Durant more. almost the entire top-12 are taller guys. the shorter ones are Scoot, Anthony Edwards and then Cade. everyone else taller than 6'6
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,172

Post#1780 » by tiderulz » Tue May 7, 2024 11:57 am

KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

once, they did it once when they blew it up.

Return to Orlando Magic