ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,802

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1161 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:23 pm

Monk is absolutely not worth signing if he’s not able to be the starting lead guard.

You don’t pay 25M+ per year - and it’s gonna take something in that range to land him - if he is gonna be a non-starter.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1162 » by RichCollab » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:30 pm

Knightro wrote:Monk is absolutely not worth signing if he’s not able to be the starting lead guard.

You don’t pay 25M+ per year - and it’s gonna take something in that range to land him - if he is gonna be a non-starter.

We are talking downside. I don’t see him not being a starter and being what we need.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Post#1163 » by KillMonger » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:32 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Sacramento is starting to worry that Orlando will sign Monk.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1xluF61MDfpcIGXWVOC7Jg?si=TuxBAKRNSfubWcsGJmhH5Q

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
He's a really obvious fit

Monk is such a roll of the dice.

If he ends up being what you think he can be, you have a lead guard in his prime making what would ultimately end up being reasonable money for his production.

But he’s also literally never started before and it’s a complete gamble if he could adjust to a 35 minute per game role as a starting point guard.

And if he can’t start, you’re paying 25 million a year for a slightly better version of last year’s Cole Anthony. Not good!

Big risk with big reward.
With the way we play do we even need a ball dominant point guard? Unless we're going to overhaul how we play we don't need much from that position, just more than what we're getting now....

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,215

Post#1164 » by MagicMatic » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:42 pm

Knightro wrote:Monk is absolutely not worth signing if he’s not able to be the starting lead guard.

I don't see him as a lead guard.

I think he fills in as one, but ultimately isn't worth it if he's solving one total issue and shifting Suggs to point guard.

He started zero games total last season with Sacramento. He's a microwave shooting guard sixth man off the bench. Not sure I want him eating into Suggs minutes that much if he's playing the same role. Orlando should be looking for a fill in lead guard for that money.

As someone said earlier... we basically need someone that can pretend to be prime Kyle Lowry.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,124

Post#1165 » by Residual-Heat » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:28 am

MagicMatic wrote:

I think he fills in as one, but ultimately isn't worth it if he's solving one total issue and shifting Suggs to point guard.

He started zero games total last season with Sacramento. He's a microwave shooting guard sixth man off the bench. Not sure I want him eating into Suggs minutes that much if he's playing the same role. Orlando should be looking for a fill in lead guard for that money.

As someone said earlier... we basically need someone that can pretend to be prime Kyle Lowry.

Yep prime Lowry would be perfect, but I dont see any guards in that mold available. Maybe Dejounte Murray would be the closest as a do-it-all guard (if he can remember how to play defense). DJM is still my #1 target.

Just curious, what do you think the Magic should do? Who should they go after?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,076

Post#1166 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:32 am

Suggs is probably closest to Lowry if we're being honest. He didn't really use his PG skills until his 5th/6th season, but it all depends on how comfortable Suggs feels in that role. And would require a lot more on-ball work.

The real issue is, are we looking for an actual PG for this team? If not, Monk works pretty easily IMO.

I think we want to involve Franz/Paolo in a lot of on-ball actions just because it forces so many unfavorable switches for the other team. Just need to cut down less on Paolo as the actual PG doing dribble-drive stuff.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#1167 » by CocoaFan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:33 am

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:
basketballRob wrote:Sacramento is starting to worry that Orlando will sign Monk.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1xluF61MDfpcIGXWVOC7Jg?si=TuxBAKRNSfubWcsGJmhH5Q

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
He's a really obvious fit

Monk is such a roll of the dice.

If he ends up being what you think he can be, you have a lead guard in his prime making what would ultimately end up being reasonable money for his production.

But he’s also literally never started before and it’s a complete gamble if he could adjust to a 35 minute per game role as a starting point guard.

And if he can’t start, you’re paying 25 million a year for a slightly better version of last year’s Cole Anthony. Not good!

Big risk with big reward.
Slightly better version of Cole Anthony? Come on
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#1168 » by CocoaFan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:35 am

You don't sign him for 25+M. He's not worth that.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1169 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:39 am

MagicMatic wrote:

I have to push back on some of this.

Yes, Monk was a reserve and has been a reserve his entire career. Ultimately that is my biggest concern with him as a free agency target. How would things translate from playing 25 MPG as a 6th man to playing 30-35 MPG as a starter? Because if I'm giving him 3/75 or 4/100 or whatever it ends up being, he has to be able to start and play big minutes.

But in terms of style of play, he played on the ball as a lead guard for the Kings a lot. He had the ball in his hands a lot. This idea that he's just some shameless gunner who only looks to score just isn't accurate. He shouldered a huge playmaking load for the Kings.

Monk averaged 7.1 AST/36, 9.6 AST/100, 28.9 AST%. Those are not "microwave shooting guard" numbers. Those are legitimate lead guard numbers.

To compare.

Cole 4.7 AST/36, 6.4 AST/100, 19.8 AST%
Fultz 4.7 AST/36, 6.5 AST/100, 19.7 AST%
Suggs 3.6 AST/36, 5.0 AST/100, 15.0 AST%

He would be the best playmaking guard on this team by a mile.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1170 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:41 am

CocoaFan wrote:Slightly better version of Cole Anthony? Come on

Cole's best season (last year) was VERY comparable to Monk's last two really good seasons with Sacramento.

The only way I'd sign Monk would be if I am convinced he has another level to reach as a starting lead guard. Otherwise, I'm not paying 25M for a 6th man.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1171 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:56 am

Malik Monk had 20 games of at least 7 assists or more this season.

After Paolo, the rest of the Magic's entire team combined had just 18 individual games of 7+ assists.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,783

Post#1172 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:03 am

Agree with the first statement with 100% certainty...he wouldn't be coming here to be Cole.

I don't agree that he needs to get $25m+...who is bidding against us? I'm not saying insult him back into SAC's arms, but other cap space teams are a lot less of a fit, imo.

If he we swing and miss this summer and are stuck with an overpaid Cole-type :banghead:

I'm in on Monk...but it's largely because he's available - and that can be risky if we're rationalizing him into what we want him to be. It's not like he's been a star his whole career - he's been a largely ignorable player for quite a few years...possibly even considered a bust until he got to SAC. I'd rather spend more (trade assets) and get a more proven 2-way guy like Murray (if that opportunity even presents itself). I feel like we are looking for a really important piece to our contending puzzle...it's not time to go halfway.

I like Mark Williams - not sure why he'd be available and for what...maybe if CHA drafts a C? Sounds goofy, but I've been talking about picking off AJ Griffin for a while too. He's essentially out of ATL's rotation but he was a very highly rated guy at Duke and the fact that he was very successful as Paolo's kickoff release valve is notable. We could be like NYK's collection of 'Nova teammates - and they'll all be on rookie deals for a couple years. Even if we found a way to keep WCJ- it'd be nice to have different looks and combos (along with Mo, Isaac, Paolo).
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#1173 » by Skin » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:16 am

RichCollab wrote:
Skin wrote:Magic are proving to be an attractive FA destination, and if they attack it right, they could get lucky.

If they wanted Tyus Jones, I think that would be an easy slam dunk, and if they got him early, that could really entice someone like Paul George to come.

Tyus Jones / Paul George / Franz Wagner / Paolo Banchero / Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black / Jalen Suggs / Jett Howard / Jonathan Isaac / Mo Wagner

That's a team that competes with Boston.

Zero chance I’m starting Tyus over Suggs.
Zero chance Suggs doesn’t have a starting role locked down for next season.

Paul George is starting over Suggs.

Besides, as a PG Tyus is superior to Suggs anyways. Suggs is so careless with his passes, I'm shocked anyone is still putting him the conversation as a starting PG. He's a SG and maybe a rotational PG in certain matchups at most.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,783

Post#1174 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:17 am

Knightro wrote:Malik Monk had 20 games of at least 7 assists or more this season.

After Paolo, the rest of the Magic's entire team combined had just 18 individual games of 7+ assists.

Your Monk posts sound like mine...YESNOYESNOYESNO :lol:

I wish I had the blind faith in Weltman that some others do here.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1175 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:17 am

Skybox wrote:I don't agree that he needs to get $25m+...who is bidding against us? I'm not saying insult him back into SAC's arms, but other cap space teams are a lot less of a fit, imo.

The Kings can offer him $17M per year over 4 years. He's beloved in Sacramento and his best friend plays there.

For him to walk away from that, a team IMO will have to make it worth his while financially.

I don't know if $20M AAV would get it done - although obviously I'd love it if it did. That's ultimately only $12M more over the life of the contract.

But 25M AAV is 28M more over the life of the contract, and that kind of money gap is unlikely to ever make up the difference by staying.

I do think San Antonio could potentially be interested in Monk and they have a ton of cap space as well.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1176 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:44 am

Skin wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Skin wrote:Magic are proving to be an attractive FA destination, and if they attack it right, they could get lucky.

If they wanted Tyus Jones, I think that would be an easy slam dunk, and if they got him early, that could really entice someone like Paul George to come.

Tyus Jones / Paul George / Franz Wagner / Paolo Banchero / Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black / Jalen Suggs / Jett Howard / Jonathan Isaac / Mo Wagner

That's a team that competes with Boston.

Zero chance I’m starting Tyus over Suggs.
Zero chance Suggs doesn’t have a starting role locked down for next season.

Paul George is starting over Suggs.

Besides, as a PG Tyus is superior to Suggs anyways. Suggs is so careless with his passes, I'm shocked anyone is still putting him the conversation as a starting PG. He's a SG and maybe a rotational PG in certain matchups at most.

Why don’t we just start Jett Howard over Suggs? Suggs sucks

:lol:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,560

Post#1177 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:54 am

Read on Twitter
?t=OrSnWdXA9Qp67vixt6y10A&s=19
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1178 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:59 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Yep prime Lowry would be perfect, but I dont see any guards in that mold available. Maybe Dejounte Murray would be the closest as a do-it-all guard (if he can remember how to play defense). DJM is still my #1 target.

Just curious, what do you think the Magic should do? Who should they go after?

Well there are 3 avenues to solve the issue. You named one of them.

1) Getting an established or fringe starter like D. Murray, Dlo, Brogdon, Sexton, Tre Young etc. I don’t necessarily like this option as much. Why? Because it locks Orlando up salary wise, pushes our youth lower in pt, and trades will cost a lot of assets if you aren’t signing them for huge deals. We can all say FVV could have been a good option earlier.

2) Landing a guy that fits with our core but isn’t necessarily “established”. This is my preference. Pritchard, Terrance/Tre Mann, Tre Jones, Tyus Jones, Podz, Nembhard, etc etc. These options are cheaper and easier to move later. They are somewhat more attainable and realistic. They have potential to play better in different situations.

3) Just play Black.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,560

Post#1179 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:24 am

MagicMatic wrote: Just play Black.

I agree
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1180 » by MagicMatic » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:40 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I have to push back on some of this.

Yes, Monk was a reserve and has been a reserve his entire career. Ultimately that is my biggest concern with him as a free agency target. How would things translate from playing 25 MPG as a 6th man to playing 30-35 MPG as a starter? Because if I'm giving him 3/75 or 4/100 or whatever it ends up being, he has to be able to start and play big minutes.

But in terms of style of play, he played on the ball as a lead guard for the Kings a lot. He had the ball in his hands a lot. This idea that he's just some shameless gunner who only looks to score just isn't accurate. He shouldered a huge playmaking load for the Kings.

Monk averaged 7.1 AST/36, 9.6 AST/100, 28.9 AST%. Those are not "microwave shooting guard" numbers. Those are legitimate lead guard numbers.

To compare.

Cole 4.7 AST/36, 6.4 AST/100, 19.8 AST%
Fultz 4.7 AST/36, 6.5 AST/100, 19.7 AST%
Suggs 3.6 AST/36, 5.0 AST/100, 15.0 AST%

He would be the best playmaking guard on this team by a mile.

I mean, I would hope so considering he was a legitimate 6MoTY candidate in his year 7.

Definitely a far cry from Fultz and Cole Anthony. Or even year 3 Suggs at 27 mpg.

But yeah.. thats exactly what he is and has been his entire career except for 30ish games for the Lakers. Thats not really a take I randomly came up with.

Return to Orlando Magic