ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,868

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#841 » by thelead » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:55 am

RichCollab wrote:
thelead wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Cole is getting 5 million more a year and 1st pick has a cap hold too.

Cole's new contract is already included in the link above. You are correct about the pick though. If we hold onto it, you can subtract ~3.5 mil out of the 48 mil from what I see.

I find Sportrac a better tool for salary cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/orlando-magic/cap/_/year/2024/sort/cap_total

I prefer BR because it gives you the totals for each year and view of multiple years on one page. I find the numbers are fairly accurate too.

Still, looks like the ~48 mil number is pretty accurate minus the 1st rd pick cap hold if we simply decline Ingles' option.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,542

Post#842 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:58 am

Knightro wrote:
zzaj wrote:Haha, love it Knightro...

Thanks for the input!

My apologies if that was too snarky.

The truth is, I don't even dislike Simons and I think his skill set offensively is certainly something this team is lacking.

But I can't trade Black, who is 10 months removed from being the 6th overall pick and showed very nice promise as both a defender and a catch-and-shoot player, for Simons.

It just doesn't work.

haha! No need to apologize…we’re Portland—our whole culture is based on snark.

As far as Black? I get that too. I’d probably feel the same. FWIW, I was very high on Black predraft, and still am—higher than most Blazer fans. I also certainly know that Simons’ likely best role would be uber-microwave, or the weak-defense offensive option on a good defensive team. That obviously craters his appeal and fit for most teams. I do think like you say, that he’d be a great fit in Orlando.

Alright all, really pulling for you guys vs. Cleveland. I BELIEVE!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,432

Post#843 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:12 am

drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:
zzaj wrote:On the Portland board we are trying to figure out how to make a Simons for Black swap. Any interest at all from Orlando fans?

Quickest YES I can manufacture.

Oh my gosh would Magic management jump on that offer. If SImons can be had for that cheap, wow. Throw in Houstan as a parting gift???
No way you can believe that. If they valued that archetype they would have drafted Keyonte George.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,994

Post#844 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:18 am

eyriq wrote:
drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Oh my gosh would Magic management jump on that offer. If SImons can be had for that cheap, wow. Throw in Houstan as a parting gift???
No way you can believe that. If they valued that archetype they would have drafted Keyonte George.

Are you telling me that if the Blazers had offered Simons for the #6 pick in the 2023 offseason, the Magic would have declined the offer?

But to answer your question: I felt that any rookie on this year's roster was a mistake. Two was a bad idea. And that has basically been proven true.

Unless one is a fan of a multi-year backcourt of Suggs and Black as the Magic's long-term backcourt, then yes, Black needs to go.

Now if your question is, did I have George higher on my draft board than Black, of course not. But I didn't wan the Magic to draft any PG. And no SG was worth being tabbed at #6. This pick screamed - trade-me.

The one pleasure I take fromt he draft is that Orlando ended up with neither Thompson twin. Whew. Dodged a big bullet there.

p.s. there is NO WAY I would have drafted Howard over Dick. Missing out on Mr. Gradey when he was there to be had: Mistake!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,568

Post#845 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:36 am

drsd wrote:Are you telling me that if the Blazers had offered Simons for the #6 pick in the 2023 offseason, the Magic would have declined the offer?

Obviously they would have said no.

Simons is not very good.

The only reason there's any interest in him from the Orlando side whatsoever is because they are so offensively challenged in the backcourt.

But if my choices are trade Anthony Black for Simons or just keep Black and sign Monk for the same price as Simons, I'd much rather just retain the asset and spend the money.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Post#846 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:43 am

I have a feeling Portland is thirsty for a defensive guard after being the 2nd worst defense in the league 3 out of the last 4 years.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#847 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:44 am

RichCollab wrote:
thelead wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Cole is getting 5 million more a year and 1st pick has a cap hold too.

Cole's new contract is already included in the link above. You are correct about the pick though. If we hold onto it, you can subtract ~3.5 mil out of the 48 mil from what I see.

If the Magic keep Isaac, Moritz, Houstan and their 2024 1st round pick, but move on from Ingles, they will have approximately $43M in cap space assuming the cap comes in at $141M as expected.

They could open up a lot more depending on what they do with Isaac, Moritz and Houstan, but I expect all three of them to be retained.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#848 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:54 am

Read on Twitter

Can he become a full-time starter?
drsd
RealGM

Post#849 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:55 am

Knightro wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
thelead wrote:Cole's new contract is already included in the link above. You are correct about the pick though. If we hold onto it, you can subtract ~3.5 mil out of the 48 mil from what I see.

If the Magic keep Isaac, Moritz, Houstan and their 2024 1st round pick, but move on from Ingles, they will have approximately $43M in cap space assuming the cap comes in at $141M as expected.

They could open up a lot more depending on what they do with Isaac, Moritz and Houstan, but I expect all three of them to be retained.

And-1

p.s. I agree that Orlando is likely to keep Isaac and activate the team-option for M-Wagner and Ingles. Although that is another ~40M in potentially available salaries. Dumping the #18 would free up another 3M; that seems VERY unlikely.

To add to your nice analysis:
F-Wagner and Suggs get extended this off-season, but those new contacts don't kick in until 2025/26. The Magic must be buyers this off-season. There's actually quite a lot of salary to spend to even to to the salary-cap floor!
drsd
RealGM

Post#850 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:00 am

Knightro wrote:
drsd wrote:Are you telling me that if the Blazers had offered Simons for the #6 pick in the 2023 offseason, the Magic would have declined the offer?

Obviously they would have said no.

Simons is not very good.

The only reason there's any interest in him from the Orlando side whatsoever is because they are so offensively challenged in the backcourt.

But if my choices are trade Anthony Black for Simons or just keep Black and sign Monk for the same price as Simons, I'd much rather just retain the asset and spend the money.

If the consequence of Fultz and G-Harris expiring is that the Magic sign Monk, we can both be happy. (and then "fight" about if it is Suggs or Monk who is the PG in that backcourt; as if the internet cares about our feelings).
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#851 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:18 am

1. Trade for a starting caliber PG - Murray for Cole, Jett, 2 firsts?
2. Sign Hartenstein
3. Trade Carter for a SG - Huerter?

PG: Murray, Black
SG: Suggs, Huerter
SF: Wagner, Houstan
PF: Banchero, Isaac
C: Hartenstein, Wagner

What could that team accomplish?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,432

Post#852 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:23 am

drsd wrote:
eyriq wrote:
drsd wrote:

Are you telling me that if the Blazers had offered Simons for the #6 pick in the 2023 offseason, the Magic would have declined the offer?

But to answer your question: I felt that any rookie on this year's roster was a mistake. Two was a bad idea. And that has basically been proven true.

Unless one is a fan of a multi-year backcourt of Suggs and Black as the Magic's long-term backcourt, then yes, Black needs to go.

Now if your question is, did I have George higher on my draft board than Black, of course not. But I didn't wan the Magic to draft any PG. And no SG was worth being tabbed at #6. This pick screamed - trade-me.

The one pleasure I take fromt he draft is that Orlando ended up with neither Thompson twin. Whew. Dodged a big bullet there.

p.s. there is NO WAY I would have drafted Howard over Dick. Missing out on Mr. Gradey when he was there to be had: Mistake!
Yes, I'm saying that. Tell me the last quality starter that was traded for a lottery pick? And saying Simon's is a quality starter is a stretch. He's never actually been a quality starter on a good team.
thelead
RealGM

Post#853 » by thelead » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:26 am

Knightro wrote:1. Trade for a starting caliber PG - Murray for Cole, Jett, 2 firsts?
2. Sign Hartenstein

Was just thinking about a similar scenario... was thinking that we should have enough to sign Monk and IHart though if we also shipped WCJ to Atlanta to sweeten the deal for them... guess it depends on what it really takes to land Murray. If Atl would be okay with your offer, then yeah, securing IHart and having WCJ available for a future trade would be more important than trying to get both IHart and Monk to split our cap space.
thelead
RealGM

Post#854 » by thelead » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:37 am

IHart/Mo
Paolo/JI
Franz/Jett
Suggs/AB
Murray/Tyus

May be my final answer as much as Murray's history makes my eye twitch. Murray would be obtained for WCJ, Cole, and 3 1sts (2024, better of our 2 2025 picks, and a lotto protected 2026 1st).
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#855 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:44 am

thelead wrote:
Knightro wrote:1. Trade for a starting caliber PG - Murray for Cole, Jett, 2 firsts?
2. Sign Hartenstein

Was just thinking about a similar scenario... was thinking that we should have enough to sign Monk and IHart though if we also shipped WCJ to Atlanta to sweeten the deal for them... guess it depends on what it really takes to land Murray. If Atl would be okay with your offer, then yeah, securing IHart and having WCJ available for a future trade would be more important than trying to get both IHart and Monk to split our cap space.

I’m not totally convinced the Magic could get both Monk and Hartenstein with their cap space.

I guess Monk for 25 and Hartenstein for 18?

Could then flip Cole and WCJ for better fitting pieces potentially.

Also you gotta stop calling the guy IHart. You sound like an **** :lol:
thelead
RealGM

Post#856 » by thelead » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:55 am

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:
2. Sign Hartenstein

I’m not totally convinced the Magic could get both Monk and Hartenstein with their cap space.

I guess Monk for 25 and Hartenstein for 18?

Could then flip Cole and WCJ for better fitting pieces potentially.

Also you gotta stop calling the guy IHart. You sound like an **** :lol:

I'm just going by what Knicks fans call him :lol:

Knicks can only offer Hartenstein ~14.4 with raises. Seems like he should be rather easy to lure away.
drsd
RealGM

Post#857 » by drsd » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:08 am

2. Sign Hartenstein

You don't see Jingles as the SF on your roster, which could be a contender. What I like about the above is how balanced it is. And you didn't ask management to work overtime to get there. The funny thing is the Magic still has a lottery pick as a 3rd stringer in Howard, and now Mr. #18 would ALSO be a 3rd stringer.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#858 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:52 am

eyriq wrote:
drsd wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Pretty scary if they don't value players who can create separation and hit a damn jump shot.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,776

Post#859 » by OrlandoNed » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:49 am

2. Sign Hartenstein

A bottom 10 offense, a top 5 defense and a 1st round playoff exit in 4 because we struggled to score 80+.
Basically the exact same as this season.

I can't wrap my head around how all of these Hartenstein fanboys can watch the Magic have historically bad offensive output in these past 2 playoff games and think, 'I know what our problem is, we don't have enough defense on this team". Seriously, WTF?

We've had a top 5 defense all season with the team we have currently and you think the best use of our assets and cap space is a defensive big and a defensive lead guard who is a below average shooter? Ever hear of diminishing returns? Defense is far from our biggest issue.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,458

Post#860 » by JRoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:56 am

zzaj wrote:
Knightro wrote:
zzaj wrote:Haha, love it Knightro...

Thanks for the input!

My apologies if that was too snarky.

The truth is, I don't even dislike Simons and I think his skill set offensively is certainly something this team is lacking.

But I can't trade Black, who is 10 months removed from being the 6th overall pick and showed very nice promise as both a defender and a catch-and-shoot player, for Simons.

It just doesn't work.

haha! No need to apologize…we’re Portland—our whole culture is based on snark.

As far as Black? I get that too. I’d probably feel the same. FWIW, I was very high on Black predraft, and still am—higher than most Blazer fans. I also certainly know that Simons’ likely best role would be uber-microwave, or the weak-defense offensive option on a good defensive team. That obviously craters his appeal and fit for most teams. I do think like you say, that he’d be a great fit in Orlando.

Alright all, really pulling for you guys vs. Cleveland. I BELIEVE!

I like Black more than Scoot.

I’d love a deal around Simons for Black for the same reasons some ORL fans would hate it.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.

Return to Orlando Magic