ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,868

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#901 » by thelead » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:30 pm

I'm not the biggest Simons fan but maybe he quietly asks out and wants to come home. I wouldn't mind him for the right price.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 589

Post#902 » by MasterGMer » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:46 pm

Ja Morant has always been on my book. But as of right now, I do not think he is leaving Memphis.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Post#903 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:52 pm

thelead wrote:Ja is signed through the 27-28 season...
He can say I want a fresh start in Orlando.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,868

Post#904 » by thelead » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:10 pm

basketballRob wrote:

But… why would he? Why would he specifically want to be in Orlando?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,800

Post#905 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:29 pm

thelead wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

But… why would he? Why would he specifically want to be in Orlando?
We're up an coming and need a PG.

Paolo and Dell for Bane and JJJ.

axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 847

Post#906 » by axl_c_cool » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 pm

cedric76 wrote:
Magic#1 wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Monk has had more playmaking responsibilities this year and has been better than Suggs.

Monk would be more the PG watching the Kings games this year.

After the year, Monk had, I mostly agree. His playmaking skyrocketed and he would play a lot of pg. At the same time, we're also moving more and more into positionless basketball. A Monk/Suggs backcourt would definitely make us better. While we have a low bar for shooting improvement, I do wish Monk was better than around the 35% mark. He'd be our best shooter as soon as he signs a contract, but he hasn't become the elite shooter some thought he would be coming in either.

Monk was the leader of their second unit and opposing team were defending hard on him, playing with Franz and Paolo in first unit should give him plenty of open looks

Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately I’ve only seen the highlights, didn’t know he was playing PG.

I was a fan of his in college and hope we sign him
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#907 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:53 am

I am going to watch game 2 and 3 today, but man Darius Garland with 5 points today... He is averaging 11 ppg this series. This is the guy that is making 40 mill/yr that I always see people suggesting we trade 5 picks+ for? I do think he's a good player, but feel he's overrated even outside this forum.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 680

Post#908 » by RichCollab » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:31 am

Replace Fultz with Monk and draft a young Center and that’s all I need this offseason. Keep our assets.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,749

Post#909 » by Rainwater » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:29 am

thelead wrote:I'm not the biggest Simons fan but maybe he quietly asks out and wants to come home. I wouldn't mind him for the right price.

Yessssss
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,691

Post#910 » by ogmagicfan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:34 am

Residual-Heat wrote:I am going to watch game 2 and 3 today, but man Darius Garland with 5 points today... He is averaging 11 ppg this series. This is the guy that is making 40 mill/yr that I always see people suggesting we trade 5 picks+ for? I do think he's a good player, but feel he's overrated even outside this forum.

He's been hit with the injury bug all year, and doesnt look close to as spry as previous season version of himself. Been dealing with nagging back injuries

Although I do question how much his game can translate specifically into the playoffs. He doesnt play a particular physical brand of bball and can overdepend on his jumper and players cut from that cloth tend to struggle in the playoffs in general
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach

Post#911 » by ogmagicfan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:37 am

I honestly dont have much if any interest in Simons, at the very least starting on our team.

His offense doesnt make up for him being the worst perimeter defender in the NBA, idc if we had Gary Payton starting next to him. He will get exposed so badly in a switch heavy league like we have today

If you're as bad of a defender as he is, you need to have Isaiah Thomas/Damian Lillard level production/consistency to justify starting in this league on a contender, he's not close. On top of the fact that Simons is undeniably a SG, not a PG. He doesnt have good playmaking ability or anything close

I'd be open to him replacing Cole, but we could get a Cole replacement without sending assets in a trade
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach

Post#912 » by ogmagicfan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:43 am

We potentially dodged a bullet on Jrue Holiday, him signing a deal before the playoffs was a masterclass by his agent

He is one of the biggest playoff droppers in production in the NBA right now.

Past 4 seasons he's averaged 59.1% TS in the Regular Season. In the playoffs the past 4 seasons that drops to 47.3% TS!!!

D'Angelo is looking rough once again tonight. 0/7 from the field and 0 pointz.

Looks like Malik Monk is going to be our top choice as a FA Guard option this offseason
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,138

Post#913 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:41 am

ogmagicfan wrote:We potentially dodged a bullet on Jrue Holiday, him signing a deal before the playoffs was a masterclass by his agent

He is one of the biggest playoff droppers in production in the NBA right now.

Past 4 seasons he's averaged 59.1% TS in the Regular Season. In the playoffs the past 4 seasons that drops to 47.3% TS!!!

D'Angelo is looking rough once again tonight. 0/7 from the field and 0 pointz.

Looks like Malik Monk is going to be our top choice as a FA Guard option this offseason

im not fully sold on Monk. undersized SG, not horrible but not really good on defense, average 3 pt shooter. not someone to break the bank on.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,995

Post#914 » by drsd » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:32 pm

RichCollab wrote:Replace Fultz with Monk and sign a vet Center in the FA market and that’s all I need this offseason. Keep our assets.

Fixed.

By the way, there is G-Harris, Bitadze, and Okeke to also replace in your strategy. Maybe the 3rd-stringer rookie is one of those three and LLE vets for the others.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,138

Post#915 » by tiderulz » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:43 pm

I dont want to hear anyone talk about bringing in DeAngelo Russell.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,674

Post#916 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:52 pm

Now that we're getting a good look at playoff intensity and we're facing a very significant summer...I think it's important to not settle or accept a marginal improvement. One significant improvement in the backcourt can't be "under-done". Some guys fold mentally, regardless of skillsets, stats, etc.

Paolo is the real f@#*ing thing. Suggs is too. Franz is fine...let's make sure the next guy(s) added are legit DAWGS.

DLo is a proven marshmallow when it counts
Garland, as someone pointed out earlier, is iffy - despite his usual play, especially when considering what he'd cost
Herro has no fear of the bright lights...so much so that unless MIA is hunting a real star, he's likely off the table
Monk, to my knowledge is untested...I really don't remember how he's fared in big moments with LAL or SAC
Simons...the same, as far as I know

To me, the answer is Murray...I don't have a playoff resume to point to...but, it's clear, he's got the mental makeup to roll with Suggs and Paolo - along with the size, defense, and skillset. I'd throw a lot at ATL to grab him as a core member of this team. I think he's a winner and a fierce competitor. LAL is getting swept out of the playoffs and will likely come hard at ATL with whatever assets they can spare...I'd really like to beat them to it.

Murray can shoot, but he's not a true sniper...maybe we fill in with another guy like Caleb Martin...another guy who plays above his pay grade in big moments.

I'd love to add a real shot-blocking big man like Allen or Mobley or Claxton but we may have to prioritize our moves for now. I was definitely on-board with Isaac at C, but he's also just so incredibly disruptive on the perimeter. I still think he's our best Center on the roster today - but Mosley made the right move playing WCJ...because we just don't (on most nights-last night was nuts) have the offensive firepower in our backcourt.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,674

Post#917 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:56 pm

Let's just not make a marginal upgrade...the fact that nearly anyone in the league is better than Fultz right now - does NOT mean we should settle for a small upgrade and "hang on to our assets"...for what? Scrooge McDuck stuff-filling a bathtub full of frps and cap space gets you nothing but hoarder satisfaction. Everything is in place for a summer move or two that takes us to contention.

Admittedly, I'm high off of last night's performance and it may well be our last win of the playoffs...but you can see what ORL can be with some tweaks in the right direction. DO NOT put more marshmallows around Paolo & Suggs (and Franz) - they are ready!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,435

Post#918 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:02 pm

tiderulz wrote:I dont want to hear anyone talk about bringing in DeAngelo Russell.
He'd be a huge upgrade over Cole.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,149

Post#919 » by magik9113 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 pm

tiderulz wrote:I dont want to hear anyone talk about bringing in DeAngelo Russell.

idk I really think he'll fit right in :)
CarraT
Senior
And1: 190

Post#920 » by CarraT » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:33 pm

Buy low :D

Return to Orlando Magic