ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,171

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#1301 » by tiderulz » Wed May 1, 2024 2:33 pm

Knightro wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
cedric76 wrote:PG here we come

Paul George Rumors: 76ers, Magic Eye Star; Clippers Don't Want to Give Max Contract

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10119371-paul-george-rumors-76ers-magic-eye-star-clippers-dont-want-to-give-max-contract

basis is wrong though. We dont have as pressing a need for a wing as much as a legit PG. we are just going to be mentioned with any big name free agent because of our cap space this summer. I cant see Orlando going after 34 yr old Paul George on a max or near max deal, which you know he will be looking for.

I agree that point guard is a bigger need than shooting guard, but when you have the opportunity to add a top 20 NBA player and not give up any assets, I think you still have to do it.

not at age 34 for a near max deal.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1302 » by tiderulz » Wed May 1, 2024 2:35 pm

Knightro wrote:Paul George This Season
7th in Estimated Wins (EW)
8th in Estimated Plus Minus (EPM)
19th in Luck-adjusted player Estimate using a Box prior Regularized ON-off (LEBRON)
27th in Value Over Replacement Player (VORP)
31st in Win Shares (WS)
33rd in Box Plus Minus (BPM)

He played 74 of 82 games. He's still really good!

The obvious concern...

He's 34 years old and wants a full maximum contract which would be 4 years, 212M.

The questions to ask... how well do you think he will age? and are you comfortable paying him 50M+ in his age 36 and 37 seasons?

Otherwise, adding a player of his caliber with just cap space and retaining all of your assets for future trades... I dunno man, I'd probably have to do it.

i agree adding in a great player if all it takes is your cap space. I worry that people look at Lebron's production at his age and think that everyone can do that when historically we have seen people's production trail off around 34-35.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,801

Post#1303 » by Knightro » Wed May 1, 2024 2:43 pm

tiderulz wrote:i agree adding in a great player if all it takes is your cap space. I worry that people look at Lebron's production at his age and think that everyone can do that when historically we have seen people's production trail off around 34-35.

Yeah, it's absolutely a huge gamble. But LeBron isn't the only player to age gracefully into his mid 30s.

Durant made the all-star team at age 34 and 35.
Curry made the all-star team at age 34 and 35.
Chris Paul made the all-star team at 34, 35 and 36 before falling off at age 37.

Butler and DeRozan each had a great season this past year at age 34.

I think if the Magic could get top 20 play for the first two years of the deal and then like top 75 play the last two years of the deal, I think ultimately that would be a win.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,913

Post#1304 » by basketballRob » Wed May 1, 2024 2:56 pm

I listened to part of a Mike Miller interview the other day, and he seemed a little upset with the Magic front office for not acquiring shooters.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,140

Post#1305 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Wed May 1, 2024 2:58 pm

19th in Luck-adjusted player Estimate using a Box prior Regularized ON-off (LEBRON)
31st in Win Shares (WS)

The obvious concern...

He's 34 years old and wants a full maximum contract which would be 4 years, 212M.

The questions to ask... how well do you think he will age? and are you comfortable paying him 50M+ in his age 36 and 37 seasons?

Otherwise, adding a player of his caliber with just cap space and retaining all of your assets for future trades... I dunno man, I'd probably have to do it.

love him as a player but like you said I'm not sure this FO would chase a 2 year window. What I think and hope they'll do is go grab a tier B+/B guy at position of need and then re structure the roster with a bit better shooters like the Strus's of the world.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1306 » by tiderulz » Wed May 1, 2024 3:06 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
31st in Win Shares (WS)

The obvious concern...

love him as a player but like you said I'm not sure this FO would chase a 2 year window. What I think and hope they'll do is go grab a tier B+/B guy at position of need and then re structure the roster with a bit better shooters like the Strus's of the world.

i think Strus gets thought of a little better than he actually is. 1 good year at 41% from 3, otherwise was 35% or less the other 3 years, including this last year. but i get your meaning
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#1307 » by ogmagicfan » Wed May 1, 2024 3:44 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Knightro wrote:
tiderulz wrote:basis is wrong though. We dont have as pressing a need for a wing as much as a legit PG. we are just going to be mentioned with any big name free agent because of our cap space this summer. I cant see Orlando going after 34 yr old Paul George on a max or near max deal, which you know he will be looking for.

I agree that point guard is a bigger need than shooting guard, but when you have the opportunity to add a top 20 NBA player and not give up any assets, I think you still have to do it.

not at age 34 for a near max deal.

yeah

if he would take a shorter deal with near max money, similar to the FVV deal setup then Id do it.

But all signs point to him wanting a 4 yr max and I just cant pull the trigger on that, especially while knowing we really need to shore up the PG position
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#1308 » by ogmagicfan » Wed May 1, 2024 3:46 pm

basketballRob wrote:I listened to part of a Mike Miller interview the other day, and he seemed a little upset with the Magic front office for not acquiring shooters.

well if we acquired Tyus Jones before the trade deadline we probably couldve already eliminated the Cavs if not be going home up 3-2.

we dont do anything with 2nd round picks anyways. Moving 2 2nds wouldnt have hurted
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,559

Post#1309 » by eyriq » Wed May 1, 2024 3:51 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:For arguments sake let's say Franz and Paolo are clear top two options on offense.

Third option, how do we get them?

Player acquisition?
Or internal development of one of Suggs, AB, or Jett Howard?

Player acquisition.

Suggs, Black and Howard are not going to be third options offensively at any point IMO.

Doesn't mean they can't be incredibly valuable players (Suggs already is), but I'm just not seeing "third option offensively" as an outcome for any of them.
I lean towards developing one of Suggs, AB, or Jett. It's likely that one of them can be a top 50 player.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,801

Post#1310 » by Knightro » Wed May 1, 2024 3:56 pm

eyriq wrote:I lean towards developing one of Suggs, AB, or Jett. It's likely that one of them can be a top 50 player.

Suggs already is IMO.

But being a top 50 player doesn't necessarily equate to "third option" offensively.

EPM ranked Suggs as the 37th best player in the league, but he averaged just 12 PPG.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,782

Post#1311 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 4:46 pm

basketballRob wrote:I listened to part of a Mike Miller interview the other day, and he seemed a little upset with the Magic front office for not acquiring shooters.

I'm sure he and his client have discussed that...I think it's crazy to think that Paolo would be upset about someone in the backcourt "taking some of his touches"...he'll be the boss for the next decade (if we can keep him). If he doesn't get how that would lead to winning and his own growth...he has a lot of maturing ahead of him. Having said that, I think he does get it and he's way ahead of the typical maturity of his age group.

Miller has surprised me with his wisdom and maturity...I wasn't really that familiar with him as a player...but I always assumed he was kind of a goof. I certainly didn't see him as a future agent. He's a solid guest on podcasts, etc.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,962

Post#1312 » by SHAQ32 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:07 pm

31st in Win Shares (WS)

The obvious concern...

Thank God you aren't the GM
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1313 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 5:16 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:For arguments sake let's say Franz and Paolo are clear top two options on offense.

Third option, how do we get them?

Player acquisition?
Or internal development of one of Suggs, AB, or Jett Howard?

Player acquisition.

Suggs, Black and Howard are not going to be third options offensively at any point IMO.

Doesn't mean they can't be incredibly valuable players (Suggs already is), but I'm just not seeing "third option offensively" as an outcome for any of them.
I lean towards developing one of Suggs, AB, or Jett. It's likely that one of them can be a top 50 player.

Let's just develop everybody...that's easy!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1314 » by eyriq » Wed May 1, 2024 5:25 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Player acquisition.

Let's just develop everybody...that's easy!
No offense but that is exactly what you do with lotto talent.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,913

Post#1315 » by basketballRob » Wed May 1, 2024 5:33 pm

Skybox wrote:

I'm sure he and his client have discussed that...I think it's crazy to think that Paolo would be upset about someone in the backcourt "taking some of his touches"...he'll be the boss for the next decade (if we can keep him). If he doesn't get how that would lead to winning and his own growth...he has a lot of maturing ahead of him. Having said that, I think he does get it and he's way ahead of the typical maturity of his age group.

Miller has surprised me with his wisdom and maturity...I wasn't really that familiar with him as a player...but I always assumed he was kind of a goof. I certainly didn't see him as a future agent. He's a solid guest on podcasts, etc.
Miller thinks that it would open up more assists for Paolo. I think he said something along the lines of , add shooters, and Paolo will find them. I took it as an indictment of the front office for not acquiring any shooters.

Skybox
RealGM

Post#1316 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 5:37 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Miller thinks that it would open up more assists for Paolo. I think he said something along the lines of , add shooters, and Paolo will find them.

I'm totally on board with that concept...I've said many times, Paolo, atm, is Randle + 20%, a very good player.

But his highest potential, I think/hope/wish based on skillset...is more towards Jokic. He could average 8 assists and be a triple-double threat every night with the right players around him to finish plays - and reward unselfishness. Paolo is a beast and puts up big numbers regardless...but, if we're going to continue to play this iso-ball non-offense with Paolo & Franz, we better go all-in with finishers.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#1317 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:06 pm

31st in Win Shares (WS)

The obvious concern...

You retain all your assets now but what happens when you are well into the tax pushing against the apron in year 3 with Paolo max extension. At that point you will have to give up Suggs or Isaac. I also have Vince Carter and Lewis rapid declines to absolutely worthless sitting in the back of my head. You would have to think about it but its really risky.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1318 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:08 pm

I know it’s crazy but the more I think about it Isaac might need to be traded. You can’t pay someone 20-25 million dollars to a player to come off the bench. That money needs to go to a guard. He could be at his max value right now too.
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1319 » by eyriq » Wed May 1, 2024 6:19 pm

bigdogdylan5 wrote:I know it’s crazy but the more I think about it Isaac might need to be traded. You can’t pay someone 20-25 million dollars to a player to come off the bench. That money needs to go to a guard. He could be at his max value right now too.
I'm with you. He just doesn't fit in the starting lineup and is too good to anchor bench units.

Maybe give him a full season at center first just to be sure?
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach

Post#1320 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:48 pm

eyriq wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:I know it’s crazy but the more I think about it Isaac might need to be traded. You can’t pay someone 20-25 million dollars to a player to come off the bench. That money needs to go to a guard. He could be at his max value right now too.
I'm with you. He just doesn't fit in the starting lineup and is too good to anchor bench units.

Maybe give him a full season at center first just to be sure?

I don’t think he should be a center the special part with his defense is him being able to guard literally anyone on the perimeter with his length and quickness. Wendell is playing his ass off and I think should get a run back.

Return to Orlando Magic