ImageImageImageImage

Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,560

Re: Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread 

Post#701 » by eyriq » Fri May 3, 2024 12:07 pm

In aggregate we are winning in all four factors. The variance in our performance on the road vs at home is just brutal.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#702 » by eyriq » Fri May 3, 2024 12:23 pm

Also, I'm almost certain we start Fultz and he plays well as we advance to face Boston.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#703 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 3, 2024 12:40 pm

Ducklett wrote:So I told you guys about my neighbor who is a huge Magic fan and was in the hospital. A few days ago they called in his kids and grandkids and great grandkids because they thought it was done for. His heart was going, he was still bleeding internally and it was pretty much over. Dude still wanted the Magic game on and AdventHealth DOESNT TELEVISE THE GAMES to the rooms. I met with his wife and got iheartradio on his phone so he could listen to the game on the radio, which he did. I can proudly announce that he survived his emergency bypass surgery and came home a few hours ago. I just got home from helping him in and sitting with him and he said nothing is stopping him from watching game 6 on TV tomorrow.

GO MAGIC.

I got huge major league 2 vibes listening to this.

Todays goal. Workout for lunch, run before dinner, order takeout of some sort, watch the game. Drink some wine, if they win, maybe drink the bottle.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#704 » by tooler » Fri May 3, 2024 1:11 pm

eyriq wrote:Also, I'm almost certain we start Fultz and he plays well as we advance to face Boston.

Maybe he starts, the team starts the game poorly as they always do, and he gets all the blame.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,438

Post#705 » by UCFJayBird » Fri May 3, 2024 1:54 pm

Ducklett wrote:So I told you guys about my neighbor who is a huge Magic fan and was in the hospital. A few days ago they called in his kids and grandkids and great grandkids because they thought it was done for. His heart was going, he was still bleeding internally and it was pretty much over. Dude still wanted the Magic game on and AdventHealth DOESNT TELEVISE THE GAMES to the rooms. I met with his wife and got iheartradio on his phone so he could listen to the game on the radio, which he did. I can proudly announce that he survived his emergency bypass surgery and came home a few hours ago. I just got home from helping him in and sitting with him and he said nothing is stopping him from watching game 6 on TV tomorrow.

GO MAGIC.

The news would 100% do a story on him and you if you contact them. They love stories like that to try and balance the soul crushing negativity that the rest of the news is, lol.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#706 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 3, 2024 1:55 pm

eyriq wrote:In aggregate we are winning in all four factors. The variance in our performance on the road vs at home is just brutal.

What might be very interesting is regardless of the outcome we may have a situation where we win several point differential factors...
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#707 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 3, 2024 1:56 pm

eyriq wrote:Also, I'm almost certain we start Fultz and he plays well as we advance to face Boston.

Is it ok to say "I hope so".

Because I am far from certain.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#708 » by eyriq » Fri May 3, 2024 1:56 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:In aggregate we are winning in all four factors. The variance in our performance on the road vs at home is just brutal.

What might be very interesting is regardless of the outcome we may have a situation where we win several point differential factors...
Mark of a young team. Good enough to win, inconsistent enough to lose
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,197

Post#709 » by rcklsscognition » Fri May 3, 2024 2:02 pm

If we win tonight it’s a quick turnaround to G7 which is Sunday at 1. Do you leave after the game tonight or wait until tomorrow?
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#710 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 3, 2024 2:03 pm

eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Depending on what we see from Paolo + Franz and yes even Suggs from the next potential 2 games. I am ready to firmly commit to the idea that we need to overpay on free agency, or roll it back.

This is a make or break moment. Paolo last game almost had me convinced that we just need to roll it back and let this team organically develop.

Why? Because for a brief moment, and I think this will translate across defensive players. Nobody could stop Paolo but himself and he is only 21 (22 in Nov). Keep a top 5 defensive core around him, and we have a potential better floor team then the heat currently is and they were the underdogs favorites to go to ECF regardless of regular season record.

Yes, to the "monk" wanters. We can have our cake and eat it too or at least offer. I just could have sworn I saw a glimmer of a future finals MVP in Cleveland.
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,062

Post#711 » by Ducklett » Fri May 3, 2024 2:05 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:

GO MAGIC.

The news would 100% do a story on him and you if you contact them. They love stories like that to try and balance the soul crushing negativity that the rest of the news is, lol.

The guy is wildly interesting. He was a pro baseball player in his youth, then went and became an engineer. Has schematics from a lot of his works including that giant IKEA in Miami, an airport down in the Bahamas, and huge swaths of the hospital on Rollins. He also was a coach for UF's softball team and one of his players lived on the other side of our neighborhood. He also had two kids born on the same year and day with two different women that he calls twins (I met the son and he didn't find that as funny) and told me that he "should have kept his bedroom locked better". I say all that to say this, I don't think he is really the kind of guy that would want the spotlight, he would much rather heal up, go to sonny's, and playfully flirt with the waitresses. Although he is already annoyed with the heart pillow they gave him to shield his chest because the color doesn't match his style, so I think he is on the mend just fine.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#712 » by UCFJayBird » Fri May 3, 2024 2:49 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Depending on what we see from Paolo + Franz and yes even Suggs from the next potential 2 games. I am ready to firmly commit to the idea that we need to overpay on free agency, or roll it back.

This is a make or break moment. Paolo last game almost had me convinced that we just need to roll it back and let this team organically develop.

Why? Because for a brief moment, and I think this will translate across defensive players. Nobody could stop Paolo but himself and he is only 21 (22 in Nov). Keep a top 5 defensive core around him, and we have a potential better floor team then the heat currently is and they were the underdogs favorites to go to ECF regardless of regular season record.

Yes, to the "monk" wanters. We can have our cake and eat it too or at least offer. I just could have sworn I saw a glimmer of a future finals MVP in Cleveland.

The front office have a big decision to make in terms of where to go this offseason, as this offseason will determine the trajectory of this team for the next 5-10 years. Next summer they have to start giving out extensions and large contracts to Franz and Suggs, then Paolo the next year. With those three alone we'll probably be over the cap for the foreseeable future. So they need to decide if they're going to throw money at a guy like Paul George, find a way to trade for a guy who wants out like Mitchell or Young (if they ask to be traded), or say they're good to roll with this core and keep developing this "Big 3" while they use the cap to fill out with some strong supporting guys by overspending a little but maybe getting 2 good players instead of 1 great.

Tough decision. In the past i've been "Let's go get a third big name", but now i'm kind of thinking it might make more sense to focus on supporting cast instead and let Paolo, Franz, and Jalen continue to develop into the core leaders, rather than bringing in a guy who might shakeup that dynamic and could break it if it doesn't work out (or a guy like George who, let's be honest, only has a couple years of prime left and might turn us into contenders now but make us weaker when his contract rolls off and we're already bloated with Paolo, Franz, and Jalen's contracts).
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#713 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 3, 2024 2:57 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:Mark of a young team. Good enough to win, inconsistent enough to lose

The front office have a big decision to make in terms of where to go this offseason, as this offseason will determine the trajectory of this team for the next 5-10 years. Next summer they have to start giving out extensions and large contracts to Franz and Suggs, then Paolo the next year. With those three alone we'll probably be over the cap for the foreseeable future. So they need to decide if they're going to throw money at a guy like Paul George, find a way to trade for a guy who wants out like Mitchell or Young (if they ask to be traded), or say they're good to roll with this core and keep developing this "Big 3" while they use the cap to fill out with some strong supporting guys by overspending a little but maybe getting 2 good players instead of 1 great.

Tough decision. In the past i've been "Let's go get a third big name", but now i'm kind of thinking it might make more sense to focus on supporting cast instead and let Paolo, Franz, and Jalen continue to develop into the core leaders, rather than bringing in a guy who might shakeup that dynamic and could break it if it doesn't work out (or a guy like George who, let's be honest, only has a couple years of prime left and might turn us into contenders now but make us weaker when his contract rolls off and we're already bloated with Paolo, Franz, and Jalen's contracts).

I'll be flamed because Paolo turnovers and efficiency isn't there yet and may never be. That is why I said...I saw a glimmer of a future finals MVP. Paolo, was getting where he wanted at will. Next year one of his last drives will be a foul call. (Missed call on a critical <2 minutes in the game drive.) Next year, Franz just slams it home, extreme help may not have to come from the outside.

I am by no certain means saying we shouldn't do a single thing. No, we have roster spots we need to fill and we should fill them with the BPA that fit our core of Suggs + Franz + Paolo at the minimum. Rolling it back here means, you identified the core, you are just trying to put the right pieces in place around it.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#714 » by eyriq » Fri May 3, 2024 2:57 pm

UCFJayBird wrote: but now i'm kind of thinking it might make more sense to focus on supporting cast instead and let Paolo, Franz, and Jalen continue to develop into the core leaders

I'm heavily in this camp. Another factor in favor of this approach is that we have two additional lotto talents in AB and Jett that we can develop into significant roles.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#715 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 3, 2024 3:00 pm

eyriq wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote: but now i'm kind of thinking it might make more sense to focus on supporting cast instead and let Paolo, Franz, and Jalen continue to develop into the core leaders

I'm heavily in this camp. Another factor in favor of this approach is that we have two additional lotto talents in AB and Jett that we can develop into significant roles.

I'm not quite there. I am watching how we react the next 2 potential games. Playoffs while not the dominant indicator for random players. Usually you see the top talent rise to the occasion.

Big example of a let down. Cole Anthony. I was a huge believer in how good he could be if he accepted his bench role. Yet, here we are.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#716 » by tooler » Fri May 3, 2024 3:09 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:

I'm not quite there. I am watching how we react the next 2 potential games. Playoffs while not the dominant indicator for random players. Usually you see the top talent rise to the occasion.

Big example of a let down. Cole Anthony. I was a huge believer in how good he could be if he accepted his bench role. Yet, here we are.

Two games is way too big of a sample size to determine the future direction of the team. I have my eyes on the first four possessions of the 3rd quarter in game 6. That’s where MVPs are born.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#717 » by UCFJayBird » Fri May 3, 2024 3:10 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:

IMO regardless of how the rest of the playoffs go, I think it's time the Magic move on from Fultz & Cole (and Carter to me, though I'd be ok i guess if he's back).
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#718 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 3, 2024 3:14 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:

IMO regardless of how the rest of the playoffs go, I think it's time the Magic move on from Fultz & Cole (and Carter to me, though I'd be ok i guess if he's back).

I am behind you. I have enjoyed WCJ swan song being put back into the starting lineup and us responding well. Similar statement, I am also not surprised that the player you have over 2+ years of chemistry with helps you score better then a play who is on again off again.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#719 » by eyriq » Fri May 3, 2024 4:37 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Good learnings.

A starting guard and center are glaring gaps. Both backup guard spots are needs.

Isaac and Moe off the bench have affirmed their value.

Out of the current rotation only Franz, Paolo, Suggs, Moe, and Isaac are keepers.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#720 » by JoshuaPotter » Fri May 3, 2024 5:22 pm

eyriq wrote:
UCFJayBird wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

Good learnings.

A starting guard and center are glaring gaps. Both backup guard spots are needs.

Isaac and Moe off the bench have affirmed their value.

Out of the current rotation only Franz, Paolo, Suggs, Moe, and Isaac are keepers.

I would still put a decent amount of effort on keeping / developing Black + Howard. Even if to me its starting to not bode well for their long term chances.

Return to Orlando Magic