ImageImageImageImage

Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,802

Re: Cavaliers vs Magic Series General Discussion Thread 

Post#641 » by Knightro » Wed May 1, 2024 3:20 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:That and, you're sure? Did Sabonis get a max extension when when he was first eligible?

He didn't, but I don't think Sabonis is a good comparison because he hadn't broken out when he was eligible for a contract extension off his rookie contract.

He averaged 14/9 and came off the bench for his entire third season. He had never played more than 25 MPG in a season at that point in his career.

The Pacers signed him to a 4 year, 77M extension ahead of his 4th season and then he blew up into an all-star the next season.

If that blow up had come one year earlier he'd have gotten a lot more money obviously.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,560

Post#642 » by eyriq » Wed May 1, 2024 3:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=1RydQuJ1OxyoT-PGYtwRlA&s=19
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,047

Post#643 » by fendilim » Wed May 1, 2024 3:37 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly, I can see him getting some minutes, but as starter? Might be too much of a risk for a do or die game.

Damn you do, damn you don’t. Mosley will look like a genius if he starts Black and we win. If Black fails to impress, we’ll see “fire Mosley”. Lol
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#644 » by eyriq » Wed May 1, 2024 4:00 pm

fendilim wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly, I can see him getting some minutes, but as starter? Might be too much of a risk for a do or die game.

Damn you do, damn you don’t. Mosley will look like a genius if he starts Black and we win. If Black fails to impress, we’ll see “fire Mosley”. Lol
Not from me!!! Haha if he's starts AB I start building the statue myself.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#645 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed May 1, 2024 4:05 pm

eyriq wrote:
fendilim wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Put me down for $5 for the gofundme statue.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#646 » by fendilim » Wed May 1, 2024 4:23 pm

eyriq wrote:
fendilim wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly, I’d love to see Black start too. I think Suggs and Black are the future backcourt anyway.

But realistically I think Caleb starts. He also brings some spacing on offense.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 422

Post#647 » by The-Stallion70 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:30 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Empty the clip for what his 3ppg?
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#648 » by eyriq » Wed May 1, 2024 4:44 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

For his 3 & D contributions. After Harris, AB is the only guard that brings that to the starting lineup.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#649 » by fendilim » Wed May 1, 2024 5:02 pm

Knightro wrote:
fendilim wrote:letting go of Fultz and Harris, will obviously we will need to make some moves, right?

We may be below the cap floor without them.

You are correct.

No matter what, the Magic have to spend 90% of the salary cap to hit the salary floor. 90% of a projected $141M cap is approximately $127M.

As it stands right now, if they fully guarantee both of their non-guaranteed contracts (Isaac, Houstan) and pick up both of their team options (Ingles, Moritz), they're at approximately $108M on 11 players plus the cap hit for their 18th overall first round pick.

So that means have to spend $19M no matter what just to reach the salary floor and could spend up to $33M to reach the salary cap.

They can free up more money if they choose to move on from Isaac, Houston, Ingles or Moritz.

So this scenario is really just nonsense and being paranoid.
Just saying "ok Fultz and Harris are out, Black and Jett are in" and expecting the internal improvement from Paolo, Franz and Suggs to just carry them to 50+ wins ain't it.
the Magic will have to spend 19million regardless.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 422

Post#650 » by The-Stallion70 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:15 pm

Knightro wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:That and, you're sure? Did Sabonis get a max extension when when he was first eligible?

He didn't, but I don't think Sabonis is a good comparison because he hadn't broken out when he was eligible for a contract extension off his rookie contract.

He averaged 14/9 and came off the bench for his entire third season. He had never played more than 25 MPG in a season at that point in his career.

The Pacers signed him to a 4 year, 77M extension ahead of his 4th season and then he blew up into an all-star the next season.

If that blow up had come one year earlier he'd have gotten a lot more money obviously.

For the record I personally think that it is likely he will get a max extension i just don't necessarily think its a done deal and I believe you may be glossing over some details if you automatically assume it is a done deal.

How many all stars or borderline all stars signed for under max recently?
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,784

Post#651 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 5:23 pm

eyriq wrote:
fendilim wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Count me in on AB as well...It's far from ideal and that's on Weltman, not Mosley.

Whatever happened to Kevon and Queen? They were capable of toughness and some scoring. I'm not saying you can put out an APB, re-fit their uniforms and throw them out there, but I thought they were contributors-not too far behind Gary, imo...and I like Gary. I just recognize his limitations. AB, Houstan, and even Jett have the best likelihood of a big breakout game, IMO...I'm not wanting to see any more of Fultz...the game plan (or lack thereof) is to hand it to one of the big two and get out of the way, so guys with a prayer of hitting 4 open 3's need to be on the floor-if we have any.

*secretly rooting for Jett to have a "Rudy" moment and go for 25, mostly from 3. :D
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,174

Post#652 » by magik9113 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:31 pm

It's a great opportunity to get AB some playoff burn. We'll have to live with his nerves and crappy offensive decisions just like we had to live with it from everyone else games 1 and 2. We can't have Fultz and Cole out there getting cooked on D
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#653 » by magik9113 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:35 pm

also, I love how the internet is assaulting me with news of Pat Bev calling Haliburton small, while I haven't come across a thing about Mobley's game (series?) winning block :lol:
The disrespect for both of these teams is unreal
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,857

Post#654 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:38 pm

fendilim wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

And starting Fultz who have not been able to defend well in this series is not risky? We also can’t throw Caleb or Chuma in the starting lineup either. We didn’t give them enough reps to do anything. AB is the only player that would at least be comfortable with the starting unit. He would give us defense without offense, same as Gary. Plus, he need the experience as well. I am unsure why the coach think it is smart to let him experience playoff minutes next season-if we make it in next season-instead of now when the opportunity presents itself. He can get the jitters out of the way.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM

Post#655 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:41 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:
fendilim wrote:Honestly, I can see him getting some minutes, but as starter? Might be too much of a risk for a do or die game.

Count me in on AB as well...It's far from ideal and that's on Weltman, not Mosley.

Whatever happened to Kevon and Queen? They were capable of toughness and some scoring. I'm not saying you can put out an APB, re-fit their uniforms and throw them out there, but I thought they were contributors-not too far behind Gary, imo...and I like Gary. I just recognize his limitations. AB, Houstan, and even Jett have the best likelihood of a big breakout game, IMO...I'm not wanting to see any more of Fultz...the game plan (or lack thereof) is to hand it to one of the big two and get out of the way, so guys with a prayer of hitting 4 open 3's need to be on the floor-if we have any.

*secretly rooting for Jett to have a "Rudy" moment and go for 25, mostly from 3. :D

They are two way players. I don’t think they qualify to play in the playoffs.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM

Post#656 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:46 pm

The-Stallion70 wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

Gary is averaging 3.8 points in the 5 games he’s played so the offense is not much of a loss.

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,959

Post#657 » by thelead » Wed May 1, 2024 5:54 pm

Still disappointed from last night since I felt we had a really good shot at winning that one but overall, I’m quite impressed with this young team.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#658 » by magik9113 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:08 pm

thelead wrote:Still disappointed from last night since I felt we had a really good shot at winning that one but overall, I’m quite impressed with this young team.

same. the disappointment has not subsided one bit since the game ended, and may linger a while. But definitely proud of our efforts.

The Paolo air-ball over Morris followed by a Morris drained 3 was the game, for me. And it simply comes down to experience
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#659 » by JBSouthpaw » Wed May 1, 2024 6:09 pm

Playing with house money, get AB AND Jett in there! Let them feel the pressure this year so it won't be new to them next year!
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,802

Post#660 » by Knightro » Wed May 1, 2024 6:32 pm

fendilim wrote:So this scenario is really just nonsense and being paranoid.
Just saying "ok Fultz and Harris are out, Black and Jett are in" and expecting the internal improvement from Paolo, Franz and Suggs to just carry them to 50+ wins ain't it.
the Magic will have to spend 19million regardless.

Sure, but they could spend that money on a center and not address the backcourt at all.

Return to Orlando Magic