ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 2: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Cavs up 1-0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

89Magicfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 489

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 2: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Cavs up 1-0 

Post#1181 » by 89Magicfan » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:20 pm

I don’t get why AB has not played yet.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,020

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 2: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Cavs up 1-0 

Post#1182 » by p0peye » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:25 pm

89Magicfan wrote:I don’t get why AB has not played yet.

Because he does not bring skills we need in playoffs with current roster. If he was a great playmaker and shooter off the dribble, with his defense, he would be playing north of 36 MPG. Currently both Harris and Suggs are better at what AB can do, with Cole having some skills AB is missing (even though he failed to demonstrate them in positive manner so far).
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 696

Post#1183 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:27 pm

p0peye wrote:

Because he does not bring skills we need in playoffs with current roster. If he was a great playmaker and shooter off the dribble, with his defense, he would be playing north of 36 MPG. Currently both Harris and Suggs are better at what AB can do, with Cole having some skills AB is missing (even though he failed to demonstrate them in positive manner so far).

No offense Popeye but when you see Cole + Fultz struggling to put points up asking why a limited in attempts 39% 3-ball better then Cole + Fultz defender is rotting on the bench is rotting in DNP-CD it begs an honest question.

@89Magicfan - Because the coach thinks going with Fultz (who is an expiring but has way more NBA experience) and Cole (reupped contract and was a primary bench scorer for us) is a better MPG investment towards winning if the season stats mean anything.

Unfortunately they have both been hammered on both ends.
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#1184 » by p0peye » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:43 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
p0peye wrote:

No offense Popeye but when you see Cole + Fultz struggling to put points up asking why a limited in attempts 39% 3-ball better then Cole + Fultz defender is rotting on the bench is rotting in DNP-CD it begs an honest question.

@89Magicfan - Because the coach thinks going with Fultz (who is an expiring but has way more NBA experience) and Cole (reupped contract and was a primary bench scorer for us) is a better MPG investment towards winning if the season stats mean anything.

Unfortunately they have both been hammered on both ends.

Oh, it is a proper question, I am merely answering why, in my opinion, is that the case. Fultz played 12 minutes in Game 1 and another 6 minutes in Game 2, during which Fultz is playing on ball where AB would be off ball, so different skills are being used. I do think those 18 minutes in two games would be better used being handed to AB for experience purposes with probably same results as neither of them would add anything that Suggs and Harris don't already have.

Cole could as he is a scorer which apparently didn't score, making him a minus in these games, but you have to play him unless you've already thrown in the towel.
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect

Post#1185 » by 89Magicfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:04 pm

p0peye wrote:

I wasn’t asking because of ignorance. I was asking because he should be playing. Absolutely he brings skills we need. Passing, court awareness with/without ball, actually will attempt a 3 pointer and can hit them, defense, size, IQ, etc

I’d play him over Fultz and Harris rn.
p0peye
Lead Assistant

Post#1186 » by p0peye » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:41 pm

89Magicfan wrote:
p0peye wrote:

I wasn’t asking because of ignorance. I was asking because he should be playing. Absolutely he brings skills we need. Passing, court awareness with/without ball, actually will attempt a 3 pointer and can hit them, defense, size, IQ, etc

Other than defense and occasional wide open 3, I haven't seen those skills on the court. I am aware of his draft report, but he didnt show any of that in games. His role on offense was exclusively limited to catch and shoots. Hell, Goga has higher assists per 36 than Black.
89Magicfan
Pro Prospect

Post#1187 » by 89Magicfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 pm

p0peye wrote:
89Magicfan wrote:
p0peye wrote:

Other than defense and occasional wide open 3, I haven't seen those skills on the court. I am aware of his draft report, but he didnt show any of that in games. His role on offense was exclusively limited to catch and shoots. Hell, Goga has higher assists per 36 than Black.

I certainly have seen it. More so than I’ve seen it from Fultz or Harris. Play the kid. What else you have to lose?
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,813

Post#1188 » by IllMagic04 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:43 pm

89Magicfan wrote:
p0peye wrote:
89Magicfan wrote:

I certainly have seen it. More so than I’ve seen it from Fultz or Harris. Play the kid. What else you have to lose?

I dont think we should go into the game expecting to play Black. If we go to him it has to be because nothing has changed from game 1 and 2. If Cole still can't do anything you got to try Black. At least see if his defense can affect the game. Fultz simply can't play at all. So maybe Caleb gets a few minutes there
Throwawaytheone
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#1189 » by Throwawaytheone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:54 am

Howard Mass wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
SOUL wrote:To take a step back.. if we're one or two scorers/shooters from being favorites over a strong Cavs team (who dealt with injuries).. I also don't think we're as far away as people are acting with these losses.

We're essentially in the pre-Shard Magic era when Dwight was in the playoffs in his third year.

That lineup was:

Hill
Turk
Dwight
Battie
Nelson

With a crap bench. Things will change, we'll get better

I'm sure Hawks fans were sure they were going to take another step forward after the ECF and Kings fans probably thought they'd improve over last year as well

The FO actually has to make moves to improve. This may not be a 47 win team if the only improvement going into next year is from internal improvement. I want to believe. But this is also the same FO who rolled into the season with Fultz as a starting PG and doubled down again, while in the playoff race, with Fultz as their starting PG on a playoff team

You never know if this team is going to be fighting for the #2 seed in the last few weeks of the season again next year.

Exactly!

Sorry, I know this is unrelated but the username change request thread is locked. How do I apply to change it? I'd like to change it to the name 'Throwawaytheone'
When this team went to The Finals in 1995 and 2009, many of us had the feeling they could get right back.

The thing is you have to make improvements to the roster as the teams below you will get hungrier and better.

Moves have to be made this summer to take that next step. If The Magic make no moves, it will drastically limit their progress.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,681

Post#1190 » by Howard Mass » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 pm

NoParticular wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
I'm sure Hawks fans were sure they were going to take another step forward after the ECF and Kings fans probably thought they'd improve over last year as well

The FO actually has to make moves to improve. This may not be a 47 win team if the only improvement going into next year is from internal improvement. I want to believe. But this is also the same FO who rolled into the season with Fultz as a starting PG and doubled down again, while in the playoff race, with Fultz as their starting PG on a playoff team

You never know if this team is going to be fighting for the #2 seed in the last few weeks of the season again next year.

Exactly!

Sorry, I know this is unrelated but the username change request thread is locked. How do I apply to change it? I'd like to change it to the name 'Throwawaytheone'
When this team went to The Finals in 1995 and 2009, many of us had the feeling they could get right back.

The thing is you have to make improvements to the roster as the teams below you will get hungrier and better.

Moves have to be made this summer to take that next step. If The Magic make no moves, it will drastically limit their progress.

Feedback Forum.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,830

Post#1191 » by SOUL » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:38 pm

Return to Orlando Magic