ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 2-2

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,075

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 2-2 

Post#1381 » by SOUL » Thu May 2, 2024 12:11 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:I cant even process my daily life without thinking about this game. Im so pissed. We should've totally won

Should've?? meh... hostile environment on the road, only Paolo going offensively.. not like we had a Knicks choke. Was anybody's game really.

Too many little mistakes from a very young team.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,954

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 2-2 

Post#1382 » by ChosenSavior » Thu May 2, 2024 12:36 am

Gotta get a handle on this going into Game 6...

Read on Twitter
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,825

Post#1383 » by Audi » Thu May 2, 2024 2:10 am

Nobody is asking for it, but here you go:
Read on Twitter
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#1384 » by drsd » Thu May 2, 2024 2:18 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:I like the Luka pick, mastering the ability to play at your pace, never be sped up and use angles/leverage/strength/size and craftiness to become unstoppable on offense.

Jokic to learn how to ride horses :lol:

I loved it when Jokić roasted Dončić by stating, "come to Denver and win some Championships."

Of course the purist in me would love to watch a team that had Jokić AND Dončić. So is it really a joke???
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Post#1385 » by drsd » Thu May 2, 2024 2:20 am

ChosenSavior wrote:Gotta get a handle on this going into Game 6...

And boy-oh-boy is Banchero beating himself up in this. Look: he only just left childhood (in Hercules' body). Children grow up. This is a solvable issue over the next couple years.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,400

Post#1386 » by tooler » Thu May 2, 2024 2:28 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:I cant even process my daily life without thinking about this game. Im so pissed. We should've totally won

And here I'm thinking this game might not make it into the top 10 heartbreaking losses of the playoffs across the entire league this season.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,825

Post#1387 » by Audi » Thu May 2, 2024 3:02 am

tooler wrote:

And here I'm thinking this game might not make it into the top 10 heartbreaking losses of the playoffs across the entire league this season.

Losing by 38 would definitely a heartbreaker.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#1388 » by Skin » Thu May 2, 2024 10:03 am

RichCollab wrote:
Skin wrote:
eyriq wrote:It blows my mind. The only problem I have with Mosley. There is some sort of cohort effect that drives Mosley's decision making. Oh well, I trust Mosley.

Hopefully we have 2 new starting Guards next year.

Suggs is locked a starting position.

Paul George if we did bring him in would move Gary Harris out.

4/5 players can play make at that point. We don’t need a point guard

If we brought in Paul George, he would not sit on the bench behind Suggs. That is laughable.

You can say "we don't need a PG" and then play Suggs at PG, but saying George will come off the bench behind Suggs is hilarious.

But getting George is far fetched even for me. Nothing but a wish. So the problem in saying "we don't need a PG" is that if Suggs is your starting SG and we have some dude at PG who fits the "we don't need a PG" label... that low quality of PG will just mean that our team is still deficient.

I can deal with Suggs at SG, but not paired with the idea that we don't need a good PG. The hell with that thought! If Suggs is our starting SG next year, we NEED a Kyrie Irving, Dame Lillard, Tyrese Maxey, Jalen Brunson, Tyrese Haliburton, Jamal Murray, SGA, Jrue Holiday, Darius Garland. Otherwise, we're fooling ourselves thinking we can beat the teams with those PGs.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1389 » by RichCollab » Thu May 2, 2024 11:57 am

Skin wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Skin wrote:Hopefully we have 2 new starting Guards next year.

If we brought in Paul George, he would not sit on the bench behind Suggs. That is laughable.

You can say "we don't need a PG" and then play Suggs at PG, but saying George will come off the bench behind Suggs is hilarious.

But getting George is far fetched even for me. Nothing but a wish. So the problem in saying "we don't need a PG" is that if Suggs is your starting SG and we have some dude at PG who fits the "we don't need a PG" label... that low quality of PG will just mean that our team is still deficient.

I can deal with Suggs at SG, but not paired with the idea that we don't need a good PG. The hell with that thought! If Suggs is our starting SG next year, we NEED a Kyrie Irving, Dame Lillard, Tyrese Maxey, Jalen Brunson, Tyrese Haliburton, Jamal Murray, SGA, Jrue Holiday, Darius Garland. Otherwise, we're fooling ourselves thinking we can beat the teams with those PGs.

You don’t need a traditional PG in this scenario. We don’t bring in PG13 if the FO doesn’t think he can start with Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. I’m certain of that.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#1390 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu May 2, 2024 12:29 pm

As a newly minted 40 something. Can we back off from the idea of bringing mid late 30 something players on this team and hoping for short to long term success.

Now if it was 20 something player looking to cement a legacy while making some money.....
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,909

Post#1391 » by basketballRob » Thu May 2, 2024 12:59 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:As a newly minted 40 something. Can we back off from the idea of bringing mid late 30 something players on this team and hoping for short to long term success.

Now if it was 20 something player looking to cement a legacy while making some money.....
We could be looking for a player to bridge the gap between our players developing. Paul George was the 8th best player based on EPM this season. It's a risk, but if he played 74 games like this year, we could be a 60-win team.

1. Embiid
2. SGA
3. Doncic
4. Giannis
5. Jokic
6. Brunson
7. Lebron
8. Paul George
9. Kawhi
10. Donovan Mitchell
11. Haliburton

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,270

Post#1392 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu May 2, 2024 1:28 pm

tooler wrote:

Where this team is development wise, this was not a devastating loss or anything remotely close to it. Disappointing because it was so close sure but not devastating, I'm not even mad or upset because the future of this team is bright, its so palpable. Shaq & Penny got sweept first playoff as did Dwight & Jameer. This team is potentially heading to a game 7, we are ahead of schedule.
aka: prorl
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,801

Post#1393 » by Knightro » Thu May 2, 2024 2:20 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:As a newly minted 40 something. Can we back off from the idea of bringing mid late 30 something players on this team and hoping for short to long term success.

If there were only a bunch of 20 somethings as good as 34 year old Paul George on the market :lol:
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,954

Post#1394 » by ChosenSavior » Thu May 2, 2024 3:58 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
tooler wrote:

Where this team is development wise, this was not a devastating loss or anything remotely close to it. Disappointing because it was so close sure but not devastating, I'm not even mad or upset because the future of this team is bright, its so palpable. Shaq & Penny got sweept first playoff as did Dwight & Jameer. This team is potentially heading to a game 7, we are ahead of schedule.

Love this perspective and agree with you. Believe y'all! We have proven we can play with them and beat them. Just have to be sound on all the margins.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,215

Post#1395 » by MagicMatic » Thu May 2, 2024 4:40 pm

RichCollab wrote:
Skin wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

You don’t need a traditional PG in this scenario. We don’t bring in PG13 if the FO doesn’t think he can start with Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. I’m certain of that.

I think Im going to have an aneurysm if I have to read another proposal about how adding a volume SG is the solution to Orlandos problems. Are we even watching the same team? Paolo has an insane amount of TO's per game.

You don't heavily invest in TWO 6'10-6'11 wing offensive engines to then bring in a volume shooting guard to take more possessions away from them. You bring in a point guard to set the table for them and open up easier baskets so they aren't turning the ball over a million times.

That is why Suggs is the perfect archetype next to them at SG. He doesn't need to score, but when he does it means Orlando wins games. Yes, he needs to be more consistent game to game. Every young player does. No, Suggs is not a traditional point guard. He's a guard and always has been.

People are wanting to solve one problem, which in turn ends up creating more problems. You don't need to take possessions away from the core. They need to make the possessions more efficient. You aren't accomplishing that with another ball stopping wing. Paolo and Franz are on the floor to score. Make their lives easier by getting a point guard that isnt broken and can run an offense. We don't need to watch Paolo ISO dudes 20 feet from the basket, pretending to be a point forward, while everyone stands around and watches. It's just mind numbingly stupid predictable offense.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1396 » by Knightro » Thu May 2, 2024 5:09 pm

Skin wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Skin wrote:Hopefully we have 2 new starting Guards next year.

Literally, no one is saying that Suggs would start over Paul George.

They would start together.

The larger point that people are making is that Suggs has one of the two starting guards spots locked up for next season. It just depends on whether they add a point guard or a shooting guard where Suggs specifically will play.

If they add a higher end shooting guard like a Paul George Suggs will be the “point guard”, but he will not be used as a traditional point guard since the Magic at that point would have three wings with playmaking ability.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1397 » by Knightro » Thu May 2, 2024 5:33 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Skin wrote:If we brought in Paul George, he would not sit on the bench behind Suggs. That is laughable.

I think Im going to have an aneurysm if I have to read another proposal about how adding a volume SG is the solution to Orlandos problems. Are we even watching the same team? Paolo has an insane amount of TO's per game.

You don't heavily invest in TWO 6'10-6'11 wing offensive engines to then bring in a volume shooting guard to take more possessions away from them. You bring in a point guard to set the table for them and open up easier baskets so they aren't turning the ball over a million times.

That is why Suggs is the perfect archetype next to them at SG. He doesn't need to score, but when he does it means Orlando wins games. Yes, he needs to be more consistent game to game. Every young player does. No, Suggs is not a traditional point guard. He's a guard and always has been.

People are wanting to solve one problem, which in turn ends up creating more problems. You don't need to take possessions away from the core. They need to make the possessions more efficient. You aren't accomplishing that with another ball stopping wing. Paolo and Franz are on the floor to score. Make their lives easier by getting a point guard that isnt broken and can run an offense. We don't need to watch Paolo ISO dudes 20 feet from the basket, pretending to be a point forward, while everyone stands around and watches. It's just mind numbingly stupid predictable offense.

I don't necessarily agree with this.

if you have the 22nd ranked offense and have the ability to bring in players who can score 20-25 PPG on .600 TS% and also create good shots for teammates like a Paul George and all it would cost is cap space is obviously very beneficial.

If this is more about Monk... I'd argue that the only way it would be worth it to sign him would be if you believe he's ready to transition to full time starting point guard. If you don't think that, then he probably isn't worth pursuing.

Monk's value, at least to me, is in his playmaking ability more than his scoring - which extrapolated over a starting role certainly looks like it's point guard caliber. But I'm not sure that's risk the Magic's front office is willing to take.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1398 » by MagicMatic » Thu May 2, 2024 6:39 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with this.

if you have the 22nd ranked offense and have the ability to bring in players who can score 20-25 PPG on .600 TS% and also create good shots for teammates like a Paul George and all it would cost is cap space is obviously very beneficial.

If this is more about Monk... I'd argue that the only way it would be worth it to sign him would be if you believe he's ready to transition to full time starting point guard. If you don't think that, then he probably isn't worth pursuing.

Monk's value, at least to me, is in his playmaking ability more than his scoring - which extrapolated over a starting role certainly looks like it's point guard caliber. But I'm not sure that's risk the Magic's front office is willing to take.

You'd fix the problem twofold with a point guard that CAN shoot, rather than a shooter that fills in as a guy that can kind of run an offense. One is a more difficult skillset and one is more common. Just because Orlando lacks shooting everywhere doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere in players with more diverse skillsets.

My argument is that Orlando's offense is ranked 22nd not because there arent more efficient shooters to take possessions away from guys. It's because Franz and Paolo aren't entirely efficient while ALSO not having an extra shooter on the perimeter. If Im comparing two players based on cost and impact on acquisition Im leaning toward someone like 7.5/1 - A/TO Tyus Jones next to Suggs with a .400 3p% rather than a more expensive Monk at 5.2/2 - A/TO and a .453 3p% pretending to run point guard. Thats just one example to what the we are talking about.

Paul George solves nothing outside of an established star veteran that has won nothing and will take possessions away from the core. Yes, we need to spend money but if you want to solve multiple weaknesses he is a massive overpay in terms of unrealized assets or cap space. Enhance the focus of the core by making their lives easier and dont add another mouth to feed while solving no other issues.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1399 » by Knightro » Thu May 2, 2024 6:52 pm

MagicMatic wrote:You'd fix the problem twofold with a point guard that CAN shoot, rather than a shooter that fills in as a guy that can kind of run an offense. One is a more difficult skillset and one is more common. Just because Orlando lacks shooting everywhere doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere in players with more diverse skillsets.

My argument is that Orlando's offense is ranked 22nd not because there arent more efficient shooters to take possessions away from guys. It's because Franz and Paolo are entirely efficient while ALSO not having an extra shooter on the perimeter. If Im comparing two players based on cost and impact on acquisition Im leaning toward someone like 7.5/1 - A/TO Tyus Jones next to Suggs with a .400 3p% rather than a more expensive Monk at 5.2/2 - A/TO and a .453 3p% pretending to run point guard.

Paul George solves nothing outside of an established star veteran that has won nothing and will take possessions away from the core.

If you're trying to sit there and say Tyus Jones would be a better acquisition piece than Paul George or Malik Monk...

I don't know man. I'm all for a point guard who can shoot, but talent is also talent.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#1400 » by MagicMatic » Thu May 2, 2024 6:55 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:You'd fix the problem twofold with a point guard that CAN shoot, rather than a shooter that fills in as a guy that can kind of run an offense. One is a more difficult skillset and one is more common. Just because Orlando lacks shooting everywhere doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere in players with more diverse skillsets.

My argument is that Orlando's offense is ranked 22nd not because there arent more efficient shooters to take possessions away from guys. It's because Franz and Paolo are entirely efficient while ALSO not having an extra shooter on the perimeter. If Im comparing two players based on cost and impact on acquisition Im leaning toward someone like 7.5/1 - A/TO Tyus Jones next to Suggs with a .400 3p% rather than a more expensive Monk at 5.2/2 - A/TO and a .453 3p% pretending to run point guard.

Paul George solves nothing outside of an established star veteran that has won nothing and will take possessions away from the core.

If you're trying to sit there and say Tyus Jones would be a better acquisition piece than Paul George or Malik Monk...

I don't know man. I'm all for a point guard who can shoot, but talent is also talent.

Not really. I'm saying that the cost benefit of the players you are talking about matters in the grand scheme of things.

People are talking about re-inventing the wheel for a team that has a few missing ingredients and not another main course. I'm not opposed to Monk. I just disagree with the reasoning behind acquiring him if it means not solving the point guard issue. Tyus Jones is just an example of a point guard at that value level, rather than suggesting he's the better player 1:1.

I mean.. serious question.. Is a fully healthy Clippers Right now better than the Magic 2-3 years from now? If thats a hard question to answer, then what are we even talking about.

Return to Orlando Magic