ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 2-2

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,540

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 2-2 

Post#1321 » by jezzerinho » Wed May 1, 2024 10:16 am

dsg2021 wrote:A lot of my first half and sweater vest notes are still very relevant. But with this 2nd half, we battled hard and did well enough. We’ll get them next time. Yet, there also was a couple big things to point out.

So to me, Suggs costed us the game a little bit, and then as well, we are not using Franz and Paolo early enough in the shot clock nor purposefully enough as point forwards.

Suggs' defense was masterful on Donovan. But the creeping up FT’s eventually gave Donovan a still All Star like 28 points on 23 attempts. He also criss-crossed his assignments and gave Garland too much space on two of this 3’s/jumpers if I remember right. It was still herculean defensive effort, so where Suggs really hurt us more legitimately was in the team offense. He took 2-3 ill advised 3’s in 1st Q alone, but by the end of the game it was 5-14 to Franz’s 11 attempts at scoring. Garland to me, is for guarding his shooting and to keep mind of his passing target when he penetrates.

The other major issue is not recognizing that we have point forwards, not point guards. We are not supposed to have Suggs probing the defense for 10 seconds before handing it off to Paolo or Franz. We get confused on offense in small ways too. Calling for screens but not using them. Calling to space out the floor, but not driving. We need to be more purposeful and give Paolo and Franz the ball with a lot of time on the shot clock.
I still want to the first open shot to be taken, but if it doesn’t come early in the shot clock, then I want it to come with some type of Franz/Paolo set plays involving others like PnRs, Horns, flares and whatnot.

Of course, the 26 3P% (before Paolo’s last 3) is a big culprit. I’ve already said I want trial/series adjustment minutes for Caleb over Gary before I even experiment with Black or Goga minutes. But what really stood out to me, what was the true story of the whole game, was ORL’s 17 Assists to 14 TO’s to CLE’s 23 Assists to 10 TO’s. Paolo (10-13 in 2nd half I believe?) and Franz are your point forwards. Tape session and soft-practice how everyone plays off of them, at the top of the key, with the ball, before Friday. And I know Franz faced doubles, but don’t let him have only 11 attempts if he’s leading us with a great 6:2 A:TO ratio. We robbed 'Kelle of a Cummerbund or Mittens too!

You should post more often. Very nice summary.

Shooting was a killer. So many attempts that came out flat from the hand or were rushed. The kids need to just calm down in attack and pick their moments. It's a real art (in many sports) to being "intense on defence and relaxed in attack". Magic are still learning how.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,174

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 5: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 2-2 

Post#1322 » by magik9113 » Wed May 1, 2024 11:26 am

How winnable that game was still stings quite a bit. Growing pains for sure...
End of the day, we "just" need to win two games in a row... but it's quite the ask--specially with Gary out, which is wild considering he doesn't have much business starting for a playoff team
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,781

Post#1323 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 11:26 am

Almost got it…a few hero ball bad decisions by Paolo and Franz but hard to fault them as that’s how they kept us in the game. Once again, having unreliable shooters around them is like handcuffing what Paolo & Franz create so well…imagine what a guy like Simons would have added, even if he did nothing but finish spot-up kick out 3’s at 40+%. Strus is another “shot hunter” who was pulling up from 25 feet before it even hit his hands.

Beating a dead horse, but iso, iso, iso…3 guys standing and watching the other two take turns crashing into traffic. I think CLE made a mistake doubling Franz so much (instead of Paolo)…Paolo had his way without guards coming down to claw at the ball on his turnarounds in prev games…don’t expect it to be single coverage next game…Mose needs to make some adjustments. CLE was lucky to get that one.

And Fultz :nonono: …Turner and Steele must have a share of his earnings the way they were praising his brilliance for kicking out to open guys on perimeter. I’m sorry, but he’s such a non-threat on the perimeter- it’s just not functional. He did some good things, but I couldn’t help thinking how it might’ve looked if it was Tyus Jones (only because he was so available) in the same minutes…and I’m not that high on Tyus long-term. It’s also a testament to how little faith Mose has in his rooks that, even with Harris out, they don’t see a second. Suggs was kind of irrelevant offensively and was really bad on-ball- I think his handles have gotten even looser. Paolo could’ve passed a few more if anybody actually cut rather than settled in for his show with a bag of popcorn…still no sign of any real offensive scheme, imo…just dominant talent in Paolo & Franz in iso…that’s a great foundation at least.

Overall, VERY promising, very winnable…a couple of 3’s made, better FT shooting, a few less FTs for Donovan, a couple of better shot decisions by PB…WCJ was solid rebounding- Mose definitely tried to use the size advantage with Allen out but Mobley is a stud…I could see them selling high on Allen this summer, especially if there’s a Mitchell move. Mobley is the real deal

…I’d guess ORL a significant favorite at home.

I’m only frustrated because we’re so close…I’m not tearing the team down…the personnel fixes are/were/remain very apparent. Not sure what they’re going to do to cover Harris’ loss- next man up can’t be Fultz, imo. Not with this offense so dependent on P&F.

We could still win this but next year will be great! Plug Monk or Murray or Simons, etc in and it’s maybe a sweep.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,169

Post#1324 » by tiderulz » Wed May 1, 2024 11:33 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:I was genuinely surprised Franz didnt kick it to Paolo who was wide open at 3 on that play where he got blocked

He's had the hot hand

why, he had a straight shot to the basket. just needed to dunk it instead of laying it up

because if you have an opportunity to end the game when playing on the road in the playoffs instead of going for OT you typically take it

yeah its open in theory, but Mobley isnt any defender, as we saw on the play even though Franz been killin him this series

yeah, but Paolo's last 3 shots were very bad
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 130

Post#1325 » by byeganyo » Wed May 1, 2024 11:47 am

With mitchel and Struss in foul trouble could we have tried to go small and hunt them on defense in the last 2 minutes?
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,229

Post#1326 » by cedric76 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:11 pm

Issue is we played big but didn't attack the paint enough.

Paolo playing heroball behind the 3pt line is what Cleveland want
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,556

Post#1327 » by eyriq » Wed May 1, 2024 12:13 pm

I'm almost as excited about the off-season as I am about the playoffs. Is there something wrong with me?
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#1328 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed May 1, 2024 12:28 pm

We did great yesterday. 1 2nd and 2 3rd year players lead the team to a 1 point loss on an away game. This is statistically unheard of.

All in all, I don't know what else to tell you without rehashing so much.

How the kids respond the next game will tell us a lot about their mental makeup.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,801

Post#1329 » by Knightro » Wed May 1, 2024 12:29 pm

eyriq wrote:I'm almost as excited about the off-season as I am about the playoffs. Is there something wrong with me?

Not at all.

Even if the Magic win the next two games, which seems unlikely, then they have to go to Boston and get their asses kicked by a really good team.

But the allure of what might come this offseason is very intoxicating. If they make the right moves, maybe they’re a top 4 seed next year and can win a round or multiple rounds even.

They are uniquely positioned to make the team a lot better, and the team is already good! That is a very exciting feeling.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1330 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 12:32 pm

Honestly, if Harris is out…wouldn’t Kevon or Trevellin be the next up?

Get Fultz out of there
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,229

Post#1331 » by cedric76 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:37 pm

Skybox wrote:Honestly, if Harris is out…wouldn’t Kevon or Trevellin be the next up?

Get Fultz out of there

Tbh I prefer futz over Cole but I m sure Harris will be available, if not, I d go with black instead of Cole but it s not happening
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,854

Post#1332 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:38 pm

eyriq wrote:I'm almost as excited about the off-season as I am about the playoffs. Is there something wrong with me?

It is because we both love watching them play and excited to get new players on this team that can help them take a leap.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#1333 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed May 1, 2024 12:38 pm

Skybox wrote:Honestly, if Harris is out…wouldn’t Kevon or Trevellin be the next up?

Get Fultz out of there

My paper says Okeke started at shooting guard with Houstan at SF.

My paper also says to start AB and let it ride.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#1334 » by Def Swami » Wed May 1, 2024 12:48 pm

That's because you've endured 5 games of Playoff Gary Harris.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,801

Post#1335 » by Knightro » Wed May 1, 2024 1:00 pm

Our very own general manager Anthony Parker once did an interview where he explained how difficult the transition was to go from a decent Toronto team to playing with LeBron on a title contending Cleveland team even though he was getting a lot more open 3PT attempts in Cleveland than he did in Toronto.

His rationale was that when you play with a highly heliocentric player like a LeBron, there’s generally going to be a lot less player movement and the role players are going touch the ball a lot less.

And what ends up happening is those role players are not as engaged in the action offensively all that much as they are just expected to stand and wait for a pass and then they get a pass and it may be the first time they’ve actually touched the ball in three or four minutes and they are expected to automatically make the shot because they're wide open.

And Parker was explaining how that’s a really difficult thing because you’re never dribbling, you’re not really running any sort of action with the ball or anything like that it’s just sit there and fire up jumpers cold.

The reason I bring this up is because I think that that is something that has really impacted Gary Harris in a negative way. If you never touch the basketball and the very few times you do actually touch it you’re open and you’re expected to hit every single open shot. That’s really difficult. And I’m not saying he’s played well because he hasn’t. But I just think that that’s a tougher thing than a lot of fans realize they just see the open shots and think they should be going in.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,556

Post#1336 » by eyriq » Wed May 1, 2024 1:03 pm

Knightro wrote:

Not at all.

Even if the Magic win the next two games, which seems unlikely, then they have to go to Boston and get their asses kicked by a really good team.

But the allure of what might come this offseason is very intoxicating. If they make the right moves, maybe they’re a top 4 seed next year and can win a round or multiple rounds even.

They are uniquely positioned to make the team a lot better, and the team is already good! That is a very exciting feeling.
Well said! Proper team building can commence.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1337 » by tiderulz » Wed May 1, 2024 1:37 pm

cedric76 wrote:Issue is we played big but didn't attack the paint enough.

Paolo playing heroball behind the 3pt line is what Cleveland want

maybe, but Paolo went 4-7 this game.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1338 » by tiderulz » Wed May 1, 2024 1:38 pm

only if the Front Office addresses our weaknesses
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1339 » by Skybox » Wed May 1, 2024 2:08 pm

tiderulz wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
tiderulz wrote:why, he had a straight shot to the basket. just needed to dunk it instead of laying it up

because if you have an opportunity to end the game when playing on the road in the playoffs instead of going for OT you typically take it

yeah its open in theory, but Mobley isnt any defender, as we saw on the play even though Franz been killin him this series

yeah, but Paolo's last 3 shots were very bad

Most of them are bad...but they go in - that's a star. DeRozan and CP3 are Hall of Famers who made their careers on "bad" midrange shots. KD, to an extent, too. Paolo's turnaround, leaning away, long jumpers are awful shots-but he's almost automatic.

I agree with you though...there were two straight possessions he'd love to get back...That pull-up 25 foot dagger airball was brutal, but would have been beyond epic if it went and he WAS feeling it. I think that shook him, because the next possession was also bad. Franz had an ugly one too...although he had a great drive that would have tied it with 5 secs but (credit to Mobley) for an amazing highlight block on one of the most unblockable guys - Franz always uses his length really well around the rim...but Mobley got him with a fantastic defensive effort.
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 857

Post#1340 » by axl_c_cool » Wed May 1, 2024 2:19 pm

Tough game to lose, as most have said Franz and Paulo with some questionable late shots, we weren’t in that position without them though.

I was fully expecting Franz to reverse the ball after the screen to Franz to go for the win.

We really need a lot more out of the rest of the team outside of Paulo, Franz, and Suggs. Otherwise they are going to have to play Iso ball again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FORMALLY LC MAGIC

Return to Orlando Magic