ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 7: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 3-3

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 7: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 3-3 

Post#1421 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 11:10 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:I said it before the season and I say it now…

Gary Harris since leaving Denver has been nothing but a role player off the bench. He’s never been anything more. You can’t be a starter in the league if you aren’t attempting shots. Yes he provides good defense. Yes he shows up every 1/5 in the box score. That doesn’t make him a starter.

It’s also telling that Mosely would rather have started Suggs and low volume Gary than Fultz or Cole. Defense matters to Mosely. Floor spacing does too. Orlando needs to get rid of these guys that don’t shoot either at all of on regular volume. Like I said in the other threads… As much as I love Suggs he is not a point guard. He isn’t running an offense or creating off the dribble like one. Orlando needs to get rid of Fultz, G.Harris, Okeke, etc. and bring in a point guard that can compliment the core.

At this point I’d probably get rid of Isaac for the right price too. Sorry, you aren’t giving this team much if you are worth more on the market than in 8 min stretches every other game and basically a no show in the playoffs. Doesn’t matter if you are an elite defender. This team is fine defensively in the starting unit without him. They need guys that can score the basketball.

Regardless of Gary's ability at this point, we're talking pure math here.

It doesn't really matter how good or bad a player is. If they touch the basketball 15 times a game, they're not going to average very many shots.

Until some of the ball movement issues are addressed, which almost certainly is going to at the very least require the Magic to bring in an actual point guard, you're going to see a low volume 3PT team among other things.

Yeah that’s kinda the point though…

If your only contribution to the offense is shooting it in the 15 times a game you actually touch the basketball, then I would 100% rather have a point guard running an offense replace you. Ball movement is the problem with both Gary and Fultz. On one hand you have a guy touching the ball 15 times as a catch and shoot and on the other a guy that is entirely a liability limiting what can be run, for lack of shooting, due to his efficiency being limited to him needing the ball in his hands at all times for anything to matter.

Both are categorically role players off the bench. You can’t be anything otherwise if you legitimately aren’t a two way player, streaky, or have massive flaws to your game.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 7: (5) Orlando Magic at (4) Cleveland Cavaliers - Series Tied 3-3 

Post#1422 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 11:19 am

DiplomaticMagic wrote:We didnt lose because of this. But I really dislike Mosleys rotations, they were even worse in playoffs. Who the hell employs an all bench lineup to start the 4th qtr when we are down 9 pts??? Was there even another team in playoffs that employed an all bench lineup??? I know OKC went 10 deep. But i dont know if they went all of them at once.

I would say thats such a rookie move, but even a rookie should know not to do that in playoffs. I really hope we add a strong lead assistant to our bench but I have doubts we will do that. But that will be as big as adding a bigtime shooter imo.

He didn’t need to play 10 guys.

Isaac should be on zero minute restrictions. What are you saving him from? The offseason?

Ingles and Fultz should really never have entered the game ever for mostly defensive reasons.

Cole and Fultz should never share the floor together. That idea should have been killed during the regular season.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,387

Post#1423 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:51 am

Let's be honest, Franz and Suggs needed humbling experience after all the flexing, taunting and chest slapping they were doing whole series long against Cavs team that is definition of boyscouts.

Banchero taking personally his bad game, despite lobsided W shows difference in mentality between them.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1424 » by RichCollab » Mon May 6, 2024 12:14 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Let's be honest, Franz and Suggs needed humbling experience after all the flexing, taunting and chest slapping they were doing whole series long against Cavs team that is definition of boyscouts.

Banchero taking personally his bad game, despite lobsided W shows difference in mentality between them.

That’s actually a great point. Franz kinda of got outside of himself with that taunting. It ended up speeding him up beyond helpful.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,693

Post#1425 » by Bergmaniac » Mon May 6, 2024 12:19 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:We didnt lose because of this. But I really dislike Mosleys rotations, they were even worse in playoffs. Who the hell employs an all bench lineup to start the 4th qtr when we are down 9 pts??? Was there even another team in playoffs that employed an all bench lineup??? I know OKC went 10 deep. But i dont know if they went all of them at once.

I would say thats such a rookie move, but even a rookie should know not to do that in playoffs. I really hope we add a strong lead assistant to our bench but I have doubts we will do that. But that will be as big as adding a bigtime shooter imo.

The all bench lineup of Isaac-Mo-Ingles-Cole-Fultz did great when used in this series - they had a 38.0 net rating. And it wasn't just a result of running up the score in the blowout wins, even in the losses they had a 33 net rating a 40 net rating yesterday. Yes, they played few minutes which skews the numbers, but this lineup certainly wasn't the problem in this series.

Anyway, I rewatched the game today and one thing which really stood is how terrible we were at creating better shots through screens. We set so many half-hearted and plain bad screens which the Cavs defenders went through with ease.

Also it's just wild how both Banchero and Mitchell, the designated stars on their teams, got a completely different whistle than everyone else on the field. Other players on both teams got hacked on their drives with no whistle plenty of times but they were getting to the line after pretty mild contact, often initiated by them against a defender in a legal position, time and time again.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#1426 » by RichCollab » Mon May 6, 2024 12:22 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:

The all bench lineup of Isaac-Mo-Ingles-Cole-Fultz did great when used in this series - they had a 38.0 net rating. And it wasn't just a result of running up the score in the blowout wins, even in the losses they had a 33 net rating a 40 net rating yesterday. Yes, they played few minutes which skews the numbers, but this lineup certainly wasn't the problem in this series.

Anyway, I rewatched the game today and one thing which really stood is how terrible we were at creating better shots through screens. We set so many half-hearted and plain bad screens which the Cavs defenders went through with ease.

Also it's just wild how both Banchero and Mitchell, the designated stars on their teams, got a completely different whistle than everyone else on the field. Other players on both teams got hacked on their drives with no whistle plenty of times but they were getting to the line after pretty mild contact, often initiated by them against a defender in a legal position, time and time again.

Welcome to the NBA? And thank god Paolo is getting the super star whistle again.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1427 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:30 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:

Yup. Double standards at it's worst. People getting slammed in head with no calls, yet existing near star is foul.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#1428 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 12:51 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:

Yeah, the screen thing has been an issue with ORL for a decade...fundamental flaw. Tough to watch all those touchy superstar calls...just boring, but I'm glad ORL finally has someone on the good side of them.

Awesome season. Awesome opportunities this summer to get significantly more fearsome entering next season.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,540

Post#1429 » by jezzerinho » Mon May 6, 2024 1:11 pm

Skybox wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:

Yeah, the screen thing has been an issue with ORL for a decade...fundamental flaw. Tough to watch all those touchy superstar calls...just boring, but I'm glad ORL finally has someone on the good side of them.

Awesome season. Awesome opportunities this summer to get significantly more fearsome entering next season.

I absolutely put this failing down to coaching. If you can teach a player the right footwork and technique to get around a screen, you can easily teach the techniques to SET a screen. If you take a player out of the game who isn't giving you the right defensive effort, you should also be sitting bigs who don't give the requisite screen setting effort.

Our screens are - 8 times out of 10 - lamentably bad. And it's just become a bad habit. We can't expect good pick and roll outcomes when we set bad picks.

Oh well, nice to know we can get as far as we did and still have things like this to clean up.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#1430 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 6, 2024 1:14 pm

Exit interview thought #347 that will probably get buried in this thread.

What was Franz + Suggs efficiency stats for this singular game?

I have said all season that Paolo doesn't get the credit he deserves because he carries the offensive load and Franz + Suggs are allowed to somewhat disappear.

Well it came playoff game 7 and now you got to deliver. So what was their eFG numbers?
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#1431 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 1:19 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:The all bench lineup of Isaac-Mo-Ingles-Cole-Fultz did great when used in this series - they had a 38.0 net rating. And it wasn't just a result of running up the score in the blowout wins, even in the losses they had a 33 net rating a 40 net rating yesterday. Yes, they played few minutes which skews the numbers, but this lineup certainly wasn't the problem in this series.

I absolutely put this failing down to coaching. If you can teach a player the right footwork and technique to get around a screen, you can easily teach the techniques to SET a screen. If you take a player out of the game who isn't giving you the right defensive effort, you should also be sitting bigs who don't give the requisite screen setting effort.

Our screens are - 8 times out of 10 - lamentably bad. And it's just become a bad habit. We can't expect good pick and roll outcomes when we set bad picks.

Oh well, nice to know we can get as far as we did and still have things like this to clean up.

Hartenstein knows how to set a pick that shakes teeth out :lol: It's such a fundamental big-man skill. WCJ isn't awful, but we've watched otherwise fundamentally sound Vuc, then Bamba just roll before even making any contact...with our ballhandling forwards, a good solid pick-setter would be a big deal...on the good side, it does seem like something that could be emphasized and taught. You'd think Mo, in particular, would relish a good pick - even if just as a trademark "skill" to keep him in the league as a role player with attention to detail (like he does with taking charges).
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1432 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 6, 2024 1:29 pm

MagicMatic wrote:

He didn’t need to play 10 guys.

Isaac should be on zero minute restrictions. What are you saving him from? The offseason?

Ingles and Fultz should really never have entered the game ever for mostly defensive reasons.

Cole and Fultz should never share the floor together. That idea should have been killed during the regular season.

And so we are back to the hardest hitting points of the season.

If 3-4+ players have less then 2 years on their contracts are the primary numbers you are calling.....where is your "long term" investment pieces? Where are they playing?

You mean "let me hug and high five everyone post game" Joe Ingles wasn't as emotionally invested as our 0 DNP-CD Black / Howard rookie combo.

Black who in the regular season proved
- Better defensively then Fultz / Harris overall
- Better shooter then Fultz / did great in limited usage like Harris does
- Has the ability to get to the line too if we let him

Howard a kid
- Known for his 3-ball
- has the length we love at his position
- been developing him quietly on the G league all season

Can't crack Ingles 5 minutes?

I get it, the goal was to see how far BPA takes us. Well we completely washed any rookie season development even when Black demonstrably displayed competence that we could have developed and still in hindsight (good ol hindsight) been at least a playin team.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#1433 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 1:52 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Exit interview thought #347 that will probably get buried in this thread.

I have said all season that Paolo doesn't get the credit he deserves because he carries the offensive load and Franz + Suggs are allowed to somewhat disappear.

Well it came playoff game 7 and now you got to deliver. So what was their eFG numbers?

I'm sorry, but Banchero must be part of this (lack of) "efficiency" narrative. The dude missed 18 FGs.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1434 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 6, 2024 2:04 pm

drsd wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:Exit interview thought #347 that will probably get buried in this thread.

I'm sorry, but Banchero must be part of this (lack of) "efficiency" narrative. The dude missed 18 FGs.

He is.

Edit : But don't lose the plot here DRSD. He is inefficient because he is but largely because he doesn't get the ability to disappear. We rely too heavily on him.

Franz and Suggs on game 7 can't disappear. So we saw horrible stats as a result. Granted its just one game.
jvdas
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#1435 » by jvdas » Mon May 6, 2024 2:18 pm

drsd wrote:

On paper -> yes.

If you watched the game, which you obviously did, he was the only guy being able to do anything on offense. Without Banchero, we get blown out by 20-30 points, because the rest of the team was completely choking. Reasonable for him to go for some hero ball.

Paolo did everything in his power to get us through, he is definitely not the guy to put the blame on for this game (or series).
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,271

Post#1436 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon May 6, 2024 2:26 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Let's be honest, Franz and Suggs needed humbling experience after all the flexing, taunting and chest slapping they were doing whole series long against Cavs team that is definition of boyscouts.

They are young guys feeling themselves in big moments for first time. Game 7 2nd half showed our lack of playoff experience. They got frustrated and it affected their execution. They will get there.
aka: prorl
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#1437 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 2:58 pm

Epic choke job? 18 points is the biggest comeback in a game 7? What a cruel mistress that game 7 is.

Rooting hard for the Cavs to take Boston to 7, btw.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1438 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:32 pm

As for screening, i don't think nba coach should "teach" professional player how to set proper screen. It's basic of basketball.

It falls more toward poor college & highschool prep than NBA.
But nobody and i mean NOBODY had worst screens than Bamba

Return to Orlando Magic