ImageImageImageImage

2023-24 Orlando Magic team appreciation!

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 492

Re: 2023-24 Orlando Magic team appreciation! 

Post#21 » by TheChaser » Sun May 5, 2024 10:47 pm

Im so proud of these guys! More than I could've ever expected this season. Good times ahead.
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,563

Post#22 » by Bensational » Sun May 5, 2024 10:55 pm

Phenomenal season lead by a group of phenomenal people.

This season has been the best as a Magic fan since our finals run in 2009.
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,627

Post#23 » by penny_nz » Mon May 6, 2024 12:05 am

What a tremendous season, this truly feels like the start of an exciting new era and new identity.

Starting from the top, Coach Mose has got everything out of this group and has got us playing some unreal team defense, well deserving of his extension.

Paolo is a true superstar and everything from this year (all star selection, 7 game away playoff series) is going to springboard his career. With a better supporting cast, the league better watch out.

Suggs to be took huge steps this year, his defense was incredible AND for the most part he stayed in control / healthy. His handle and shot continue to make strides. I feel he is a starting, defensive first, guard here for a long time, who can play a role on offense. Not to mention a real heart & soul type player.

Franz ... man I'm going to be real, he's GOT to get that shot fixed, without that he's been super limited.

In general, our guard rotation needs a massive facelift this off season and we need to get better paint protection, but the bones are there and its exciting times in Orlando. I've loved this season and hope this is just a taste of whats to come!

PS please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD add some shooting to this squad :lol:
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#24 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 12:38 am

They'll probably have the final interviews tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#25 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 1:03 am

penny_nz wrote:PS please FOR THE LOVE OF GOD add some shooting to this squad :lol:

We can all argue on process. But the product must be just this!

G-Harris was a ghost and Fultz and Okeke cannot shoot. WePark does not need to improve their understandings of astrophysics to find an upgrade for all three, all without breaking the bank. And that's before we accept, that there actually is a Brink's truck worth of money to spend this offseason anyhow.

My "team appreciation" is thus simple, Orlando must improve next season, just as they has the last two.

Will Orlando be "very good" next year or "excellent"? That those are the two options available, I am very appreciative of this year as being a super-critical step towards this being a really nice basketball team, very soon.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 714

Post#26 » by RichCollab » Mon May 6, 2024 1:07 am

We have the hardest piece to find. Soon to be a top 10 player and he is a 1a alpha offensive player.

Maybe we add a number 2 option and slide Franz and Suggs down a notch but both are hella good 2 way players.

We have our coach and a bunch of role player pieces.

Paolo is that guy! Franz and Suggs aren’t shying away from accountability. They are putting this on them and both are hard workers and fierce competitors.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#27 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 6, 2024 1:10 am

This was an incredible season, I'm so proud of our team

We really got our first bonifide 1st option and future top 10 player in the NBA since Dwight

Alot of growth in Suggs & Franz's game and translating that into wins

WCJ became a more dependable 3 pt shooter

And a big thank you to Coach Mosley, the Mavs truly fuc*** up letting him go. He's the real deal and has shown alot of growth this season as well

2nd best defense in the NBA this season

Now we need to make some big splashes this offseason
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#28 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 1:21 am

It's fine to say "the Magic need to add shooting", but if you take a deeper look into the issues offensively, you'll realize it's more than just needing better shooting.

The league average 3PT shooting this year was 36.6%. The Magic had six guys, five of them in this year's primary rotation - Ingles, Suggs, Carter, Isaac, Houstan and Harris - all come in above that figure.

Do the Magic need to take and make more 3PT shots? Of course they do, but two of the biggest culprits to the team's lack of shooting this year were Paolo and Franz (Cole and Fultz were lesser culprits) and neither one of those guys are going anywhere.

More than just not having enough shooters, the Magic really need better ball movement in the halfcourt. The Magic were in the bottom part of the league in generating open three pointers, just 10.7 per game.

Compare that to the top teams in the league - Boston, Dallas, Golden State - and these teams are generating 15-17 open threes a night. Just a massive difference in quality shot attempts.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,857

Post#29 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:27 am

I am incredibly proud of this team and all that they did. It has been a pleasure watching them play all season long and even though it ended, for them to even force a game 7 was truly remarkable. This team has grit and I can't wait to see what they do next season.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
drsd
RealGM

Post#30 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 2:38 am

Knightro wrote:... quality shot attempts.

And-1

On offensive, is there a more important metric that an NBA coach can influence???
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,944

Post#31 » by OrlandoDream » Mon May 6, 2024 2:55 am

Helluva season! One of the best in a decade plus! So proud of our young guys. While its not the ending we wanted, the trio of Paolo, Franz, and Suggs is only getting started. Amazing what they accomplished at such a young age.

Paolo was just unbelievable in his first playoffs. The maturity, poise, competitiveness. Just everything you want from your franchise player. We are so lucky to have him as our leader.

Gonna be a very busy offseason but cant wait for 24-25 already! GO MAGIC
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#32 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 3:03 am

I don't think the Magic need shooting as much as primary ball handlers need to lower turnovers. If they cut down turnovers the offense will drastically improve, and that will come with experience.

Also, upgrading Harris and Fultz will do wonders. Jett and AB are going to really provide a nice dopamine rush for us.

Upgrading Cole and WCJ will also hit like crack.
drsd
RealGM

Post#33 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 3:30 am

eyriq wrote:I don't think the Magic need shooting as much as primary ball handlers need to lower turnovers. If they cut down turnovers the offense will drastically improve, and that will come with experience.

Also, upgrading Harris and Fultz will do wonders. Jett and AB are going to really provide a nice dopamine rush for us.

Upgrading Cole and WCJ will also hit like crack.

You forgot to replace Okeke; yes he's that forgettable!

Anyhow, let me follow this out with some names. Draft D-Carter, trade W-Carter, Anthony, and a couple future FRPs for D-Murray. Sign Hartenstein. (and to replace Okeke, sign Taurean Prince).

The resultant team:

Murray/Black/Carter
Suggs/Howard
F-Wagner/Ingles/Houstan
Banchero/Isaac/Prince
Hartenstein/M-Wagner

When I look at that, I am still terrified of the SG slot. Maybe the Magic signs a guy like Lonnie Walker IV to be the primary backup SG.

Our 2024/25 Orlando Magic?
Murray/Black/Carter
Suggs/Walker/Howard
F-Wagner/Ingles/Houstan
Banchero/Isaac/Prince
Hartenstein/M-Wagner

The thing about this is two fold. 1) It is a better team than the 2023/24 roster. 2) It is wildly plausible.

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#34 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 3:52 am

Real eye opener season for us. Love how the team performed.

Obviously came up short but it was bound to happen since we were never contenders in the first place.

But at least we exceeded expectations and got to see a lot of facets we have to work on as a team.

This season is a huge success moving forward. The warts has to be taken care of.

Don’t plan to trash guys in the appreciation thread but we do have improvements to make all around, starting from Paolo all the way to our trainers, coaching staffs, and management.
drsd
RealGM

Post#35 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 4:25 am

fendilim wrote:Don’t plan to trash guys in the appreciation thread .....

Banchero: overachieved preseason expectations
F-Wagner: at or exceeded preseason expectations
Suggs: overachieved preseason expectations
Carter: at or exceeded preseason expectations
Harris: at preseason expectations
Anthony: at preseason expectations
Fultz: at preseason expectations
M-Wagner: overachieved preseason expectations
Ingles: at preseason expectations
Black: at preseason expectations
Isaac: at or exceeded preseason expectations
Bitadze: overachieved preseason expectations
Houstan: at or exceeded preseason expectations
Okeke: did not meet preseason expectations
Howard: did not meet preseason expectations

So for the 15 man roster, the only players that did not give at - or more - than expectations was the 14th and 15th men on the bench. Individually all Magicians had a great season. From 1-13, I am very pleased with the team.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#36 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 6, 2024 1:42 pm

drsd wrote:
fendilim wrote:Don’t plan to trash guys in the appreciation thread .....

Banchero: overachieved preseason expectations
F-Wagner: at or exceeded preseason expectations
Suggs: overachieved preseason expectations
Carter: at or exceeded preseason expectations
Harris: at preseason expectations
Anthony: at preseason expectations
Fultz: at preseason expectations
M-Wagner: overachieved preseason expectations
Ingles: at preseason expectations
Black: at preseason expectations
Isaac: at or exceeded preseason expectations
Bitadze: overachieved preseason expectations
Houstan: at or exceeded preseason expectations
Okeke: did not meet preseason expectations
Howard: did not meet preseason expectations

So for the 15 man roster, the only players that did not give at - or more - than expectations was the 14th and 15th men on the bench. Individually all Magicians had a great season. From 1-13, I am very pleased with the team.

Black overachieved
Fultz underachieved

The rest I am right there with you.

Return to Orlando Magic