ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

Redwood
Freshman
And1: 76

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#121 » by Redwood » Tue May 7, 2024 3:18 am

Skybox wrote:
Redwood wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Dwight Howard isn’t better than Goga at this point in his career. He’s 38, 39 in December, with a bad back.

Overseas he was playing like 35 mpg. Quality isn't the same

That's where you should have stopped. Healthy or not - NO.

You don't get to claim he has a bad back, learn he was playing 35 mpg, and then pretend it doesn't matter. You also have no clue how he would play in the NBA right now, so I'm not sure why you're pretending like you'd know. Your claim that he isn't better than Goga is also completely made up.

Maybe he'd be bad, maybe he wouldn't be. The only objective thing we know is that you don't know one way or the other but for some reason want to pretend like you do.

It's not a low risk move, it's a zero risk move. You bring him in for cheap on a non-guaranteed deal and see how he looks. Possibility for high reward with no risk of any kind attached to it.

I get it, you don't like him, so you're going to keep shifting the goal posts until you cobble something together that looks like an argument In the end the smart move is to bring him in, if he's interested, and see what he has to offer. WCJ isn't it, there's nothing about him that's special, he's the definition of mediocrity and is a highly replaceable player. I'd be willing to go with Dwight and Goga, with JI filling in as well, over keeping WCJ and giving him significant minutes again.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,794

Post#122 » by Skybox » Tue May 7, 2024 11:39 am

Redwood wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Redwood wrote:
Overseas he was playing like 35 mpg. Quality isn't the same

That's where you should have stopped. Healthy or not - NO.

You don't get to claim he has a bad back, learn he was playing 35 mpg, and then pretend it doesn't matter. You also have no clue how he would play in the NBA right now, so I'm not sure why you're pretending like you'd know. Your claim that he isn't better than Goga is also completely made up.

Maybe he'd be bad, maybe he wouldn't be. The only objective thing we know is that you don't know one way or the other but for some reason want to pretend like you do.

It's not a low risk move, it's a zero risk move. You bring him in for cheap on a non-guaranteed deal and see how he looks. Possibility for high reward with no risk of any kind attached to it.

I get it, you don't like him, so you're going to keep shifting the goal posts until you cobble something together that looks like an argument In the end the smart move is to bring him in, if he's interested, and see what he has to offer. WCJ isn't it, there's nothing about him that's special, he's the definition of mediocrity and is a highly replaceable player. I'd be willing to go with Dwight and Goga, with JI filling in as well, over keeping WCJ and giving him significant minutes again.

I don't really care about his back...it's his personality that makes it NOT a no-risk move. I'm just having a really hard time with the vision of Dwight as the humble, quiet, elder statesman with nothing but mature, sound advice for the young ones...he was basically ineffectual when he was last in the league and it's been years...not sure why you think he's still NBA-ready. I bet Larry Bird still shoots in his driveway-let's get him too.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 549

Post#123 » by purpleswordfish » Tue May 7, 2024 12:15 pm

So, I voted for more than one of them because there are a lot of great options that would improve the team. I know it's not part of the poll, but I think the Magic should offer Maxey the max in RFA. Just to see if the Sixers will match. I think they will. But still, they should see if they can get a player like him to grow with the team on a similar timeline.

My next target would by Trae Young or Murray from ATL. They seem motivated to move one or both of them and the Magic might be able to trade future assets (picks) to acquire them and not blow up the rest of the team. They need a shooter at the PG position. I feel like that's the one missing piece to make this roster a top-4 seed in the East.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,387

Post#124 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:26 pm

76ers have one of most unique situations in nba. Team with top 5 player and loaded with cash to spend. I assume whole point of not resinging Maxey last year was this offseason.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,819

Post#125 » by IllMagic04 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:27 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:So, I voted for more than one of them because there are a lot of great options that would improve the team. I know it's not part of the poll, but I think the Magic should offer Maxey the max in RFA. Just to see if the Sixers will match. I think they will. But still, they should see if they can get a player like him to grow with the team on a similar timeline.

My next target would by Trae Young or Murray from ATL. They seem motivated to move one or both of them and the Magic might be able to trade future assets (picks) to acquire them and not blow up the rest of the team. They need a shooter at the PG position. I feel like that's the one missing piece to make this roster a top-4 seed in the East.

I’d love Trae but I don’t see how we make that work. The big appeal is we have a team that can hide him defensively. However we’d have to trade our defense to get him. No way the Hawks even have the conversation if Suggs ain’t on the menu. I’d need to see some realistic trade senerios.
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 857

Post#126 » by axl_c_cool » Tue May 7, 2024 2:02 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:So, I voted for more than one of them because there are a lot of great options that would improve the team. I know it's not part of the poll, but I think the Magic should offer Maxey the max in RFA. Just to see if the Sixers will match. I think they will. But still, they should see if they can get a player like him to grow with the team on a similar timeline.

Murray is my #1 summer target. Real PG, can play defence, and think he’ll fit in with the team and work for Coach Mosley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,908

Post#127 » by Message Boar » Tue May 7, 2024 3:26 pm

pepe1991 wrote:76ers have one of most unique situations in nba. Team with top 5 player and loaded with cash to spend. I assume whole point of not resinging Maxey last year was this offseason.

You would be correct, sir.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,540

Post#128 » by jezzerinho » Tue May 7, 2024 8:20 pm

IllMagic04 wrote:

I’d love Trae but I don’t see how we make that work. The big appeal is we have a team that can hide him defensively. However we’d have to trade our defense to get him. No way the Hawks even have the conversation if Suggs ain’t on the menu. I’d need to see some realistic trade senerios.

Go watch Bogdanovic's exit interview for why you should be very careful about going after Trae. Bad juju.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,810

Post#129 » by Knightro » Tue May 7, 2024 8:50 pm

pepe1991 wrote:76ers have one of most unique situations in nba. Team with top 5 player and loaded with cash to spend. I assume whole point of not resinging Maxey last year was this offseason.

I’m pretty sure they’re gonna throw a full four year max at Paul George and see if he’s willing to leave LA.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 715

Post#130 » by RichCollab » Tue May 7, 2024 8:52 pm

Knightro wrote:

I’m pretty sure they’re gonna throw a full four year max at Paul George and see if he’s willing to leave LA.

Maxey is the 2nd star now. Is PG13 ok with that?

Harden wasn’t ok deferring to Embiid
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#131 » by Knightro » Tue May 7, 2024 9:01 pm

The most realistic trade idea I can come up with for Trae Young…

Cole Anthony
Anthony Black
Jett Howard
2024 1st
2026 1st
2028 1st
Pick swaps in 2025 and 2027.

For

Trae Young
And one of Capela or Hunter

G: Young
G: Suggs, Houstan
F: F. Wagner, Hunter
F: Banchero, Isaac
C: Carter, M. Wagner

Would probably need to dip into the free agency pool to address the back up guard situation at that point since they would be sending out three guards.

Honestly? They could resign Markelle to be the back up point guard at that point.
I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 855

Post#132 » by I Rasharted » Tue May 7, 2024 9:10 pm

Knightro wrote:The most realistic trade idea I can come up with for Trae Young…

Cole Anthony
Anthony Black
Jett Howard
2024 1st
2026 1st
2028 1st
Pick swaps in 2025 and 2027.

For

Trae Young
And one of Capela or Hunter

G: Young
G: Suggs, Houstan
F: F. Wagner, Hunter
F: Banchero, Isaac
C: Carter, M. Wagner

Would probably need to dip into the free agency pool to address the back up guard situation at that point since they would be sending out three guards.

Honestly? They could resign Markelle to be the back up point guard at that point.

ATL is gonna want a blue chip prospect for Young. Love Black but I doubt he's it.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,908

Post#133 » by Message Boar » Tue May 7, 2024 10:05 pm

Yeah I'm having a hard time working the trade machine for either of the Hawks guards. If they want to retool, they will probably ask for Isaac and/or Wendell (assuming we've made it clear our core trio is not on the table). In the more unlikely scenario they want to blow it up our picks and prospects are decent but not the best, and we could very easily get outbid.

I just keep coming back to Simons honestly. I think he should be gettable if we pushed. And Portland will probably look for draft assets and picks which is perfect. And they already have a potential backcourt of the future in place with Scoot/Sharpe, which should make them more agreeable, especially if we can get Simons' agent to also push for a move to Orlando.

Then again, advanced stats suggest that Monk is a very similar player to Simons, a bit better in some areas even. Although that might be a situation/contract year thing to some extent. It is nice that we could in all likelihood sign him outright (from what I've heard, he'd love to be a starter somewhere, which we can accommodate, or at least give him first crack at it), and keep our assets. edit: I should note that the number of games played over the last 3 seasons also favors Monk over Simons, which seems relevant.

So i'm still at no to Klay, I guess yes to PG if he'd really want to come here? We don't want to waste time in a bidding war though, so he'd have to commit early, it's all in all pretty unlikely. The others seem to be different degrees of unlikely, too. And Tyus is a backup level talent for a good team. A really good backup, obviously. But I'd still take him (too?) for the right price.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,115

Post#134 » by yoyojw17 » Tue May 7, 2024 10:35 pm

Talentwise + Cost = Murray for me.... but ... it will cost us some of what we got

Talentwise + Cost + Circumstance = Monk ....i think we could see him take a step forward and grow with us as well.... while as a free agent... we can maintain black and howard that would most likely have been added in a trade... annnnd our picks. Picks are an opportunity to get cheap talent and when utilized appropriately they are very valuable.

and then third.... Hartenstein.

Monk + Hartenstein would be a homerun summer for me. we help our offense immensely and still maintain defensive strengths
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#135 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue May 7, 2024 11:02 pm

Sign Monk as FA and keep assets for a run at Booker as the Suns aren’t going anywhere.
aka: prorl
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,954

Post#136 » by ChosenSavior » Tue May 7, 2024 11:45 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Sign Monk as FA and keep assets for a run at Booker as the Suns aren’t going anywhere.

This is what I'm hoping for.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#137 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 12:16 am

Monk + Hartenstein would be a great offseason. They are both good players who fill needs.

Plus they would then be able to shop Cole and Wendell for upgrades elsewhere.

I just don't get the sense Weltman's willing to do any sort of "shake up" to that level.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#138 » by eyriq » Wed May 8, 2024 12:34 am

I still think Claxton is better than Hartenstein. He's younger with much better hands. Much more of a lob threat and if you listen to Draymond, having a lob threat is just as good as having a three-point threat. It adds spacing.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,208

Post#139 » by Max Power » Wed May 8, 2024 12:43 am

To do a major shake up of this roster would kind of be an admission of failure. This rebuild has been a huge success so far. In 3 years we’re one better second half from playing Boston tonight. I think this team is still in the building stage, not the stage where they admit something isn’t working. Yes trading for a star at this point makes sense as does good players of need. But retooling 3/4 of the roster doesn’t make sense to me.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#140 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 12:47 am

Max Power wrote:To do a major shake up of this roster would kind of be an admission of failure. This rebuild has been a huge success so far. In 3 years we’re one better second half from playing Boston tonight. I think this team is still in the building stage, not the stage where they admit something isn’t working. Yes trading for a star at this point makes sense as does good players of need. But retooling 3/4 of the roster doesn’t make sense to me.

Man... I don't agree with this at all.

Considering the core group wouldn't be touched, it would be a great thing IMO. They're identified long-term pieces, now it's time to either find more of them or supplement those long-term pieces better.

If anything, it would prove once and for all that Weltman actually has the stones to make a potentially unpopular decision in the locker room for the betterment of the team at large.

Return to Orlando Magic