ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#21 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 2:31 am

My problem with this question is it does not address, at what cost?

Monk: 4 for 90M, yes. More = no
Thompson: 2 for 40M, yes. More = no
George: 3 for 120M, yes. More = no
Murray: draft assets, yes. Core-player traded = no
Young = just no
Booker. Unattainable, so no answer required
Jones: 3 for 60, yes. More = no
More than 1 of them: unaffordable
None of them: silly option. Of course any of the above players is better than Fultz/G-Harris.

I voted George. In that he is the best player on the list. Orlando should want excellence.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,944

Post#22 » by OrlandoDream » Mon May 6, 2024 3:00 am

KillMonger wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:Monk has been my target for some time. He can also initiate offense according to Sac fans. He brings the things we lack the most.
And we don't have to give up everything to get him

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app

We would need to give up a significant cap. Monk is going to command prob around 18-22 mil per, maybe more. For that type of commitment, I wonder if it's better of going to trade for a guy like Simons?

I think its important to keep our defensive identity. Thats what got us this far. We need 3pt shooting bad but not at the expense of sacrificing our defense too much.

Hate to be Jeff Weltman this offseason. He has very big decisions to make that could shape the franchise for years. Do you make a big splash and going for a Simmons/Young PG or keep defensive lineup with Suggs at guard and add better shooter like Monk or Klay?
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Post#23 » by KillMonger » Mon May 6, 2024 3:30 am

OrlandoDream wrote:
KillMonger wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:Monk has been my target for some time. He can also initiate offense according to Sac fans. He brings the things we lack the most.
And we don't have to give up everything to get him

We would need to give up a significant cap. Monk is going to command prob around 18-22 mil per, maybe more. For that type of commitment, I wonder if it's better of going to trade for a guy like Simons?

I think its important to keep our defensive identity. Thats what got us this far. We need 3pt shooting bad but not at the expense of sacrificing our defense too much.

Hate to be Jeff Weltman this offseason. He has very big decisions to make that could shape the franchise for years. Do you make a big splash and going for a Simmons/Young PG or keep defensive lineup with Suggs at guard and add better shooter like Monk or Klay?
For me if we have to give up any of our young assets for simons then that's an instant no..... Simons and monk are close to me, so if they're that close I'd take giving up some cap rather than the alternative imo.... Plus as far as I know simons isn't on the trade block, I didn't hear anything about Portland wanting to trade him

OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,944

Post#24 » by OrlandoDream » Mon May 6, 2024 3:37 am

KillMonger wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:
KillMonger wrote:And we don't have to give up everything to get him

For me if we have to give up any of our young assets for simons then that's an instant no..... Simons and monk are close to me, so if they're that close I'd take giving up some cap rather than the alternative imo.... Plus as far as I know simons isn't on the trade block, I didn't hear anything about Portland wanting to trade him

Just going by POR fans but they are expecting to trade him. Two years left on the contract and doesn't fit the timeline of their younger players.

Simons wont cost one of Suggs/Franz/Paolo or even JI. We would need to give up one or combo of AB, Jett, Cole, or Wendell and pick or two. Him and Suggs backcourt could work well.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,128

Post#25 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 6, 2024 3:43 am

1. PG
2. Murray.
3. Monk.

we're not getting Booker or Trae. Not really that interested in Tyus Jones. Not interested in overpaying Klay, and i think he will get overpaid.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#26 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 4:38 am

I voted for Paul George. If I have a second choice, i'd say Malik Monk. But Paul George will elevate this Magic team into Contention, and that should be the only goal
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#27 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 4:42 am

I think I prefer Simons if you could get him for Cole and our pick. Portland would save $14m in salary.

We have some good defensive guards, but we were near the top in the league in points given up this season to guards. I think a player like Simons would make them work harder on defense and slow them down on offense.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#28 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 4:43 am

Paul George or Monk would be my first option.

Today was very glaring that Paolo needs a Robin.

PG and Monk can fill that role without giving any assets.

Our assets can be further used to acquire improvements around the roster rather than going all in on one guy then we’ll end up handicapping our future and potential to improve the team.

If we’re trading for Simons, I’d rather go with Murray.

Murray is another ballhandler and plays on both ends of the floor. It was clear this series that we need another two guard. Gary did his job well on defense, but offense was lacking. Getting Murray would be huge for us. We get a guy who can play both ends of the court without sacrificing offense.

Imagine us playing the Cavs again, we have Suggs and Murray running around chasing Donovan and Garland. Isaac could then focus on rim protection because we wont have to place Isaac on Donovan anymore.

Murray can also play up on defense due to his length. Everyone is so focused big being able to play down, we need guards who can play up too to avoid mismatches like Cole Anthony vs Mobley.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#29 » by KillMonger » Mon May 6, 2024 5:07 am

MasterGMer wrote:I voted for Paul George. If I have a second choice, i'd say Malik Monk. But Paul George will elevate this Magic team into Contention, and that should be the only goal
Contention? You see PG in the playoffs? He isn't that guy anymore

SloNick Russia
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#30 » by SloNick Russia » Mon May 6, 2024 5:09 am

Monk is a carreer 6 man and 35% three point shooter, basicly he is a small Cole Anthony upgrade. I know Cole just failed a season but I still think he can fill in that 6 man scoring role.
FO should put it straight for him, either he rocks next season or we trade his ass. Rumors are he had some offcourt issues this season but he is resigned now and we absolutely need him to be much better.

Sent from my SM-G9750 using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#31 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 5:12 am

KillMonger wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:I voted for Paul George. If I have a second choice, i'd say Malik Monk. But Paul George will elevate this Magic team into Contention, and that should be the only goal

I just don't love reading too much into a 6-game sample size like that. Especially when the Clippers basically didn't have Leonard for the whole series.

And PG still had three pretty good games (one great one) out of the six that they played.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,233

Post#32 » by cedric76 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:00 am

drsd wrote:

My problem with this question is it does not address, at what cost?

Monk: 4 for 90M, yes. More = no
Thompson: 2 for 40M, yes. More = no
George: 3 for 120M, yes. More = no
Murray: draft assets, yes. Core-player traded = no
Young = just no
Booker. Unattainable, so no answer required
Jones: 3 for 60, yes. More = no
More than 1 of them: unaffordable
None of them: silly option. Of course any of the above players is better than Fultz/G-Harris.

I voted George. In that he is the best player on the list. Orlando should want excellence.

Exactly, i have the same pricetags, this is why I went for monk as it s the only realistic scenario
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,854

Post#33 » by Rainwater » Mon May 6, 2024 6:09 am

Where is Simons? And I hate the thought of Monk.
drsd
RealGM

Post#34 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 6:33 am

Rainwater wrote:Where is Simons? And I hate the thought of Monk.

Looking at the salary line of the Blazers. Jerami Grant, Malcolm Brogdon, Robert Williams, and Matisse Thybulle as big money guys locked in next year (and beyond for most). I am not sure what Portland can do except to dump these guys.

What is Portland left with except a deal like SImons, Williams, and Thybulle for Anthony and Ingles? How can the Blazers improve without unloading their four bad contracts? And then: why would Orlando do anything besides tag on the Denver FRP?

I think SImons can be stolen, if a team is willing to swallow salary.
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#35 » by KillMonger » Mon May 6, 2024 7:09 am

Knightro wrote:
KillMonger wrote:

I just don't love reading too much into a 6-game sample size like that. Especially when the Clippers basically didn't have Leonard for the whole series.

And PG still had three pretty good games (one great one) out of the six that they played.

i should've been more specific but not at home so i'll make it quick.....there was a time not that long ago where PG was playing so well he was near MVP level i believe it was his 2019 season iirc....THAT PG would have you contending....it's been a few years since then maybe lost a step, had a few injuries and he just hasn't gotten back to that level of play.....The PG of today probably gets us past the first round clearly....with that said it's not that i'm not open to it....where is his mind at? would he be willing to leave pretty much his hometown? is he ready to defer to a much younger player(s)? is he done ring chasing?
KillMonger
RealGM

Post#36 » by KillMonger » Mon May 6, 2024 7:19 am

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,387

Post#37 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 6, 2024 8:09 am

Without going into specific names, we simply need starting level PG.

Even Collin Sexton would be massive upgrade at this point.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 857

Post#38 » by axl_c_cool » Mon May 6, 2024 8:40 am

pepe1991 wrote:Without going into specific names, we simply need starting level PG.

Even Collin Sexton would be massive upgrade at this point.

PG would be the best pick up, but realistically a PG has to be the focus, unless we believe Black can jump enough to start or play more.

Murray would be who I’d want, I’m sure he’d be to expensive though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,923

Post#39 » by RookieStar » Mon May 6, 2024 8:48 am

Why is Devin Booker even there?

KD would be the one given the boot first before Booker
drsd
RealGM

Post#40 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 9:24 am

pepe1991 wrote:Without going into specific names, we simply need starting level PG.

Return to Orlando Magic