ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

magicfan217
Lead Assistant
And1: 985

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#61 » by magicfan217 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:52 pm

Something to consider: Anthony Black was nearly a 40% shooter from 3 this season (albeit in a small amount of attempts). That was his big question mark. Without a major addition at the guard spot I think you'll see the Magic move on from Futlz altogether and give Black every chance to earn the starting PG role on this team.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,693

Post#62 » by Bergmaniac » Mon May 6, 2024 1:54 pm

They probably wouldn't want to come, but we should still try to get PG13 or Harden for free. Both would be massive upgrade to what we have now. And sure, we'd need to overpay them, but we can afford it in the short term. Harden is a decent defender now that he doesn't need to carry the whole offense every night and gives the elite playmaking and very good shooting from 3 we desperately need. PG13 is the best free agent this summer, he is not a perfect fit but he is so good we can make it work.

If this doesn’t work, we should try to get a deal for Murray.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#63 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 1:56 pm

Here’s the thing that a lot of fans don’t totally want to accept right now.

The Magic were bad offensively this season for two reasons primarily.

1. Their two highest usage players are both below average shooters.

2. While they’re both good playmakers for guys who are 6’10” and play forward, their two highest usage players are not great playmakers compared to the top playmakers in the league.

So people blindly screaming “add more shooting” - it’s just a lot more nuanced than that.

The two guys who need to improve their shooting the most aren't going anywhere. They're both going to be playing 33-35 MPG next season.

More playmaking, specifically from the lead guard position, is far more critical to the health of this team offensively than replacing guys who can hit jump shots with guys you think can hit them at a slightly higher clip.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#64 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 1:58 pm

Knightro wrote:Here’s the thing that a lot of fans don’t totally want to accept right now.

The Magic were bad offensively this season for two reasons primarily.

1. Their two highest usage players are both below average shooters.

2. While they’re both good playmakers for guys who are 6’10” and play forward, their two highest usage players are not great playmakers compared to the top playmakers in the league.

So people blindly screaming “add more shooting” - it’s just a lot more nuanced than that.

The two guys who need to improve their shooting the most aren't going anywhere. They're both going to be playing 33-35 MPG next season.

More playmaking, specifically from the lead guard position, is far more critical to the health of this team offensively than replacing guys who can hit jump shots with guys you think can hit them at a slightly higher clip.

Wow we actually agree on this.

With that being said who is you choice in this poll half of which aren’t available and don’t fit that idea?
magicfan217
Lead Assistant
And1: 985

Post#65 » by magicfan217 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:04 pm

James Harden would actually fit this team like a glove
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#66 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 2:08 pm

magicfan217 wrote:James Harden would actually fit this team like a glove

Maybe if that glove also gave you aids.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#67 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 2:12 pm

DeAngelo Russell deserves some consideration as well.

Jason Timpf of hoops tonight said something that has stuck with me. You have athletic guards, and you have skill guards. So two broad categories.

Suggs and Black are athletic guards imo. Complimenting then with a skill guard could be a great move.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#68 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 2:17 pm

eyriq wrote:DeAngelo Russell deserves some consideration as well.

Jason Timpf of hoops tonight said something that has stuck with me. You have athletic guards, and you have skill guards. So two broad categories.

Suggs and Black are athletic guards imo. Complimenting then with a skill guard could be a great move.
He's a great candidate to take a 1 yr $32m deal. That would give us the flexibility to land a big star over the next year. Plus, that would give Black more time to develop. We could swap DLo, Wendell, and a few picks for Booker during the season. That would also give us a chance to see how the team looked with a PG.

Edit: it looks like DLo has 1 year remaining on his deal.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#69 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 2:25 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Message Boar wrote:Fair enough. Could you summarize what you DO want us to do this summer, though? I'm scrolling through your recent post history and it's a lot of what you don't want or like.

He's angling for "Bachelor Pepe"'s job..."everyone sucks but Doncic" :lol:

Excuse me Skybox, but I’m not on the opposite side of the spectrum saying that absolutely every superstar and allstar is available for Orlando :lol: Also, for the record I’m not overly a huge fan of Luka. He’s great but nearly impossible to build around for a championship unless you somehow build a super team.

I’m also just “not into” this idea that a one way offensive player like Simons is a solution. If Mosely had ANY say whatsoever he’s going to want a shred of defense. Yes, this team needs shooting and distributing at the point guard position. I’ve made that abundantly clear. I just don’t think Orlando is in the position for that guy to be an allstar asset wise. If that guy happens to be Murray or Monk then so be it.

This group isn’t multiple current or former allstars/superstars away from competing in the next 2-3 seasons. They are GOOD role players, maybe one SOLID starting point guard, that FIT next to the core away from it given the crucial development of these young guys. People suggesting anything otherwise are sorely mistaken given Orlando’s assets via trade and perception via free agency.

Gary Harris and Wendell Carter are not starting level players for a team comprised of this core. Sorry, that’s just a fact. You replace those guys with competent starters and you have something cooking. Klay Thompson etc doesn’t fit that idea.

This list assumes a lot of things. Mainly that Suggs is a point guard (he’s not) and that all these players are available. I disagree with both premises. I’m neither a fan of Suggs “running point” OR coming off the bench after his dramatically improved shooting numbers and defense.

Dejounte Murray is the only guy on this list other than Tyus Jones that makes sense. Why? Because he can fill in at point guard if you rub your eyes and squint really hard.

I don't disagree with your take at all, just thought the tone was reminiscent of the "Golden Age" of Pepe. Just having a laugh :lol:

I agree with nearly all of your takes...except Tyus Jones for anything beyond MLE. Good player. Efficient as anyone. Fills a need but, imo, doesn't move the needle. He's getting paid pretty well now (like the corpse of Fultz). I would have loved to make what was a very reasonable TD deal for him (Fultz + at most, a late frp), just to experiment until the end of the year. I'd love a guy like him, coming off the bench, and getting things back under control when they get sloppy...but I think we need a lot more scoring than he provides in the starting five, next to Suggs. Tyus is probably now stuck in starter role, with starter money...he'd have been a nice get before that happened - a couple of years ago, when he was routinely understood to be the best backup PG in the league.

I also agree that we don't need an All-Star guard, perhaps better not to (like your Luka take, same with Trae - too ball-dominant). Monk is growing on me, based on highlights, but his career arc concerns me - could be the high point with SAC. I think Murray, if even available for what we have to offer, is a great fit - that can please the "no compromises on defense" people. I don't disagree with that angle...I just don't see many realistic solutions beyond Murray and I'd MUCH rather compromise a little defense (and trust Mosley's system and influence) to get the glaring need for backcourt offense that will make Paolo and Franz look that much better and ORL's winning potentially sustainable. I'd be very happy if they just called Monk as soon as the FA bell rang and wrapped it up. Conversely, a defensive guy like Caruso doesn't move the team needle an inch and ORL would find it difficult to repeat this year's record, imo.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#70 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 2:27 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Wow we actually agree on this.

With that being said who is you choice in this poll half of which aren’t available and don’t fit that idea?

Great question. I'd probably look at the trade market starting right now and see if something shakes out. If nothing bears fruit, then I'd go into free agency. But my preference would be a trade first and foremost.

I also wonder exactly how much Weltman and the front office believes what we believe. There's a part of me that thinks they believe the playmaking is not really a huge issue/they're happy with the progress Paolo and Franz have made on that end and are banking on it to continue, and that they just need more shooting/scoring.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#71 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 2:31 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Wow we actually agree on this.

Great question. I'd probably look at the trade market starting right now and see if something shakes out. If nothing bears fruit, then I'd go into free agency. But my preference would be a trade first and foremost.

I also wonder exactly how much Weltman and the front office believes what we believe. There's a part of me that thinks they believe the playmaking is not really a huge issue/they're happy with the progress Paolo and Franz have made on that end and are banking on it to continue, and that they just need more shooting/scoring.

IF there is even a 1% chance any of this Paul George/Klay Thompson talk is actual smoke from the FO, then I’m highly doubtful they believe what we do.

Those names scream “shift Suggs to point guard and figure it out later”. Not really what we are going for, but I guess people can get excited for Paul George for a season or two before he goes somewhere else to retire.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#72 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 2:33 pm

Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:
He's angling for "Bachelor Pepe"'s job..."everyone sucks but Doncic" :lol:

Excuse me Skybox, but I’m not on the opposite side of the spectrum saying that absolutely every superstar and allstar is available for Orlando :lol: Also, for the record I’m not overly a huge fan of Luka. He’s great but nearly impossible to build around for a championship unless you somehow build a super team.

I’m also just “not into” this idea that a one way offensive player like Simons is a solution. If Mosely had ANY say whatsoever he’s going to want a shred of defense. Yes, this team needs shooting and distributing at the point guard position. I’ve made that abundantly clear. I just don’t think Orlando is in the position for that guy to be an allstar asset wise. If that guy happens to be Murray or Monk then so be it.

This group isn’t multiple current or former allstars/superstars away from competing in the next 2-3 seasons. They are GOOD role players, maybe one SOLID starting point guard, that FIT next to the core away from it given the crucial development of these young guys. People suggesting anything otherwise are sorely mistaken given Orlando’s assets via trade and perception via free agency.

Gary Harris and Wendell Carter are not starting level players for a team comprised of this core. Sorry, that’s just a fact. You replace those guys with competent starters and you have something cooking. Klay Thompson etc doesn’t fit that idea.

This list assumes a lot of things. Mainly that Suggs is a point guard (he’s not) and that all these players are available. I disagree with both premises. I’m neither a fan of Suggs “running point” OR coming off the bench after his dramatically improved shooting numbers and defense.

Dejounte Murray is the only guy on this list other than Tyus Jones that makes sense. Why? Because he can fill in at point guard if you rub your eyes and squint really hard.

I don't disagree with your take at all, just thought the tone was reminiscent of the "Golden Age" of Pepe. Just having a laugh :lol:

I agree with nearly all of your takes...except Tyus Jones for anything beyond MLE. Good player. Efficient as anyone. Fills a need but, imo, doesn't move the needle. He's getting paid pretty well now (like the corpse of Fultz). I would have loved to make what was a very reasonable TD deal for him (Fultz + at most, a late frp), just to experiment until the end of the year. I'd love a guy like him, coming off the bench, and getting things back under control when they get sloppy...but I think we need a lot more scoring than he provides in the starting five, next to Suggs. Tyus is probably now stuck in starter role, with starter money...he'd have been a nice get before that happened - a couple of years ago, when he was routinely understood to be the best backup PG in the league.

I also agree that we don't need an All-Star guard, perhaps better not to (like your Luka take, same with Trae - too ball-dominant). Monk is growing on me, based on highlights, but his career arc concerns me - could be the high point with SAC. I think Murray, if even available for what we have to offer, is a great fit - that can please the "no compromises on defense" people. I don't disagree with that angle...I just don't see many realistic solutions beyond Murray and I'd MUCH rather compromise a little defense (and trust Mosley's system and influence) to get the glaring need for backcourt offense that will make Paolo and Franz look that much better and ORL's winning potentially sustainable. I'd be very happy if they just called Monk as soon as the FA bell rang and wrapped it up. Conversely, a defensive guy like Caruso doesn't move the team needle an inch and ORL would find it difficult to repeat this year's record, imo.

I’m moreso ok with Dejounte Murray, but sure.
I’m less ok with Monk, but sure.

I’d take either of these guys over what we have now at point but I’m not enthused either way really.

How do we get Podz from Golden State?
What about Pritchard from Boston?

You see where I’m going with this.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#73 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 2:44 pm

MagicMatic wrote:IF there is even a 1% chance any of this Paul George/Klay Thompson talk is actual smoke from the FO, then I’m highly doubtful they believe what we do.

Those names scream “shift Suggs to point guard and figure it out later”. Not really what we are going for, but I guess people can get excited for Paul George for a season or two before he goes somewhere else to retire.

Ehhh I think there's a pretty significant difference in Klay and George in terms of what skill sets they bring to the table at this point.

Klay would be a lot more of a "we like what we have, so we're running it back with what we think is a better version of Gary at SG"

George has a lot more playmaking potential.

Speaking of...

Read on Twitter
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,693

Post#74 » by Bergmaniac » Mon May 6, 2024 2:49 pm

magicfan217 wrote:James Harden would actually fit this team like a glove
Yep, he gives us exactly what we need the most - elite playmaking and very good shooting both off the dribble and on catch and shoot.

His age is a concern obviously, but his game should age gracefully, he's crafty enough and shoot well enough that he is still a pretty good scorer with his first step being way worse than it was in his prime.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 2:50 pm

Klay makes the "most sense" if you believe in this core + AB/Jett. He is a transformational player in terms of spacing, three point volume, and culture. He would be the best complimentary player to add around the lotto talent.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#76 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 2:51 pm

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:IF there is even a 1% chance any of this Paul George/Klay Thompson talk is actual smoke from the FO, then I’m highly doubtful they believe what we do.

Ehhh I think there's a pretty significant difference in Klay and George in terms of what skill sets they bring to the table at this point.

Klay would be a lot more of a "we like what we have, so we're running it back with what we think is a better version of Gary at SG"

George has a lot more playmaking potential.

Speaking of...

Read on Twitter

I like the idea of Klay. But I just do not want it to be extremely expensive
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#77 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 2:53 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I’m moreso ok with Dejounte Murray, but sure.
I’m less ok with Monk, but sure.

I’d take either of these guys over what we have now at point but I’m not enthused either way really.

How do we get Podz from Golden State?
What about Pritchard from Boston?

You see where I’m going with this.

I'd love Podz and his low salary hit...I'd give a lot to add him AND a guy like Murray....but for GSW, he's solid - but maybe they face their awful cap situation and send him along with another bigger salary guy for some relief...not sure who that is, but Wiggins would be the likeliest, I guess.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,826

Post#78 » by Audi » Mon May 6, 2024 2:55 pm

Run it back. Fultz will spend the offseason singing in the choir at JI's church and will be completely healed.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#79 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 2:59 pm

If Orlando signs Klay Thompson I’ll throw up and change my username.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 2:59 pm

MagicMatic wrote:If Orlando signs Klay Thompson I’ll throw up and change my username.
Haha stop it

Return to Orlando Magic