ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

byeganyo
Junior
And1: 130

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#81 » by byeganyo » Mon May 6, 2024 3:10 pm

Klay knees are done. Signing him will kill us. This was the first year he shot bellow 40% from 3 (not counting the injured season) and he is not positive defender anymore.
magicfan217
Lead Assistant
And1: 985

Post#82 » by magicfan217 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:16 pm

Klay would be fine. Again, cost is what is going to determine if the deal is a good one or not but Klay makes a lot of sense for this team.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#83 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 3:34 pm

Klay Thompson

Positives
-Still a fantastic shooter.
39% from 3PT on 14.7 3PTA/100, 72% at the rim, 48% floater range, 46% short middy, 47% long middy, 93% from the FT line.

-Doesn't need to handle or even touch the ball all much to have an impact offensively.
Nearly 18 PPG on just 28.5 front court touches a game this season.
60th in O-LEBRON
70th in Offensive EPM

-A beloved teammate with extensive playoff experience.
Career .405 3PT shooter across 158 playoff games.

-Still capable of massively efficient point eruptions.
-Scored over 20 points on 30 occasions this year. 31 times he topped .600 TS% in a game.

-He's been mostly durable the last two years
89% of the possible games played the last two years.

Negatives
-He is 34 years old and has two significant injuries (ACL, achilles) under his belt

-He has slipped significantly defensively
284th in Defensive EPM last year, 475th in D-LEBRON
Has trended down defensive for three consecutive years and seems unlikely he'll turn it around on that end given his age

-His bad games as he's gotten older often look *spectacularly* bad.
11 games where he shot under 30% from the floor this season, including an all-time 0-10 stinker in the last game of Golden State's season.

-Doesn't at all solve the ball movement/playmaking problems
Adding Klay would require the Magic to implement a lot more off-ball movement to maximize his gravity as an off-ball player. Do they have the existing playmaking in-house to take advantage of Klay's skill set? Would Klay be able to get the ball enough in places he likes it?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#84 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 3:37 pm

byeganyo wrote:Klay knees are done. Signing him will kill us. This was the first year he shot bellow 40% from 3 (not counting the injured season) and he is not positive defender anymore.

Klay's TS% was higher this year than it was five years ago in his last all-star season.

Nine 3PTA per game at .387 is better than seven 3PTA per game at .402.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#85 » by MasterGMer » Mon May 6, 2024 3:39 pm

Knightro wrote:Klay Thompson

Positives
-Still a fantastic shooter.
39% from 3PT on 14.7 3PTA/100, 72% at the rim, 48% floater range, 46% short middy, 47% long middy, 93% from the FT line.

-Doesn't need to handle or even touch the ball all much to have an impact offensively.
Nearly 18 PPG on just 28.5 front court touches a game this season.
60th in O-LEBRON
70th in Offensive EPM

-A beloved teammate with extensive playoff experience.
Career .405 3PT shooter across 158 playoff games.

-Still capable of massively efficient point eruptions.
-Scored over 20 points on 30 occasions this year. 31 times he topped .600 TS% in a game.

-He's been mostly durable the last two years
89% of the possible games played the last two years.

Negatives
-He is 34 years old and has two significant injuries (ACL, achilles) under his belt

-He has slipped significantly defensively
284th in Defensive EPM last year, 475th in D-LEBRON
Has trended down defensive for three consecutive years and seems unlikely he'll turn it around on that end given his age

-His bad games as he's gotten older often look *spectacularly* bad.
11 games where he shot under 30% from the floor this season, including an all-time 0-10 stinker in the last game of Golden State's season.

-Doesn't at all solve the ball movement/playmaking problems
Adding Klay would require the Magic to implement a lot more off-ball movement to maximize his gravity as an off-ball player. Do they have the existing playmaking in-house to take advantage of Klay's skill set? Would Klay be able to get the ball enough in places he likes it?

If adding Klay on top of getting a ball heavy pick and roll guard, our addition could be complete. I love Klay. Sometimes his contribution is more than the stat sheet, like veteran leadership for our young squad, which can be amazing. BTW he doesn't need the ball in his hands a lot. The more I read about Klay the more I am in love with his possibility. It is going to be a fun offseason! Get ready!
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#86 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 3:42 pm

Knightro wrote:Do they have the existing playmaking in-house to take advantage of Klay's skill set?

I think they do, mainly because Franz and Paolo are playmakers and the Warriors got a lot of the playmaking outside of the PG role (Draymond Green).
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#87 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 3:48 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:Do they have the existing playmaking in-house to take advantage of Klay's skill set?

I think they do, mainly because Franz and Paolo are playmakers and the Warriors got a lot of the playmaking outside of the PG role (Draymond Green).

I mean the point I was making by saying that is that Paolo and Franz aren't good enough playmakers at this point in their development :lol:

There's a huge gap between being a good playmaker for a 6'10" SF or 6'10" PF and being a good playmaker period.

Draymond is one of the better PF/C playmakers in the history of the sport, even to this day at his advanced age.

Paolo and Franz just aren't at that level yet. Not saying they won't ever get there, but with Klay already being 34 and showing obvious signs of decline in certain areas, are the Magic's two forwards going to develop fast enough as playmakers to be able to fully take advantage of a guy who needs to be set up?

I'm not sure of that.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#88 » by fendilim » Mon May 6, 2024 3:50 pm

Klay is not anywhere close to he once was. But he’d still open up the driving lane and create space because he is freaking Klay Thompson. He doesn’t even have to do anything. He can even just stand behind the 3 point line. Lol

He’d be a valuable add.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#89 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 3:51 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:

I mean the point I was making by saying that is that Paolo and Franz aren't good enough playmakers at this point in their development :lol:

There's a huge gap between being a good playmaker for a 6'10" SF or 6'10" PF and being a good playmaker period.

Draymond is one of the better PF/C playmakers in the history of the sport, even to this day at his advanced age.

Paolo and Franz just aren't at that level yet. Not saying they won't ever get there, but with Klay already being 34 and showing obvious signs of decline in certain areas, are the Magic's two forwards going to develop fast enough as playmakers to be able to fully take advantage of a guy who needs to be set up?

I'm not sure of that.

If they sign Klay Thompson and no one else it means two things..

1) They are sold on Anthony Blacks development as potentially being our starting point guard.

2) They are OK with Suggs running the spot until Klay leaves or retires.

Regardless it doesn’t solve the major issues with the starting lineup outside of just shot making and veteran leadership.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#90 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 4:03 pm

MagicMatic wrote:If they sign Klay Thompson and no one else it means two things..

1) They are sold on Anthony Blacks development as potentially being our starting point guard.

2) They are OK with Suggs running the spot until Klay leaves or retires.

Regardless it doesn’t solve the major issues with the starting lineup outside of just shot making and veteran leadership.

There's nothing at all we saw from Anthony Black this past year that makes me believe he's anywhere close to solving any sort of playmaking problem.

And that's coming from somebody who really likes him.

Signing Klay to fill Gary's minutes would signify to me that they generally want to run it back with Paolo and Franz shouldering the majority of the playmaking responsibilities and once again being the defacto "point guards" like they were this season.

With the thought process being that Paolo/Franz/Suggs would all improve from the year before and Klay would be a significant upgrade from Gary.

If given the choice between Klay and George, I'd go with George.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#91 » by The Effect » Mon May 6, 2024 4:09 pm

If booker is available and attainable, i think its a no brainer

We need a knockdown shooter, a solid #2 scorer and a guy who can draw attention away from paolo. cant think of anyone on that list that fits that as well as Booker

Not sure what it would take to get him, but if its reasonable, we def need to look into it. Plus we know atleast at one point in his career he was begging to come to orlando. Not sure if its still the case but work investigating
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 473

Post#92 » by uraverage » Mon May 6, 2024 4:28 pm

I see 2 paths we can go..

1st path - Embrace our defense identity and go make OG an offer he can't refuse. A lineup of Suggs, OG, and JI would be fun to watch.

2nd path - Go for Monk for shooting.

Either path I think we need to get a 2nd/3rd string Center like Drummond. I would also like to see us move up in the draft for McCain.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#93 » by JF5 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:36 pm

None of them... for me tbh the core guys need the ball in their hands as much as possible in the next 2 seasons. Anyone else who is ball dominate would hurt the development of these guys.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#94 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 5:06 pm

JF5 wrote:None of them... for me tbh the core guys need the ball in their hands as much as possible in the next 2 seasons. Anyone else who is ball dominate would hurt the development of these guys.

It's fine if you feel this way, but you gotta anticipate and even expect a backslide, both in regular season record and playoff success if this is the route they go.

On top of that, not spending the available money only to watch it inevitably get eaten up by Franz, Suggs and Paolo's contract extensions seems like roster building malpractice.

The basic formula for team building is the same as it's always been.

Step 1: Draft a core
Step 2: Supplement your drafted core with veterans via free agency and trades
Step 3: Exceed the salary cap to resign your drafted core
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#95 » by JF5 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:57 pm

Knightro wrote:
JF5 wrote:None of them... for me tbh the core guys need the ball in their hands as much as possible in the next 2 seasons. Anyone else who is ball dominate would hurt the development of these guys.

It's fine if you feel this way, but you gotta anticipate and even expect a backslide, both in regular season record and playoff success if this is the route they go.

On top of that, not spending the available money only to watch it inevitably get eaten up by Franz, Suggs and Paolo's contract extensions seems like roster building malpractice.

The basic formula for team building is the same as it's always been.

Step 1: Draft a core
Step 2: Supplement your drafted core with veterans via free agency and trades
Step 3: Exceed the salary cap to resign your drafted core

My thing is they need vets on the team. But complimentary vets that are high caliber role players that are atleast still in their prime/tail end of their prime.

Staying completely pat is not the way. But the main guys need their reps.

Most of these guys on here need the ball in their hands outside of Klay, and to me he's not even a starting caliber player anymore with his inconsistent shooting and negative defense.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#96 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 6:05 pm

Some of these names people are throwing out are hilarious. 90% of them are not available nor have they ever been.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#97 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 6:12 pm

eyriq wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:If Orlando signs Klay Thompson I’ll throw up and change my username.
Haha stop it

heading to OKC boards? :lol:
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#98 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 6:13 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:If Orlando signs Klay Thompson I’ll throw up and change my username.
Haha stop it

heading to OKC boards? :lol:

I wish, but no. I’m a magic lifer. I’ll just question this FO more than I already do.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#99 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 6:23 pm

I get the *idea* of signing Klay.

He's a battle-tested veteran who can succeed without needing the basketball all that much. He wouldn't cost anything asset wise other than money, and he likely would be coming off the books before Paolo's second contract even kicked in.

On paper he's a clear upgrade from Gary and he's also the one free agent that would upset the existing apple cart the least.

But signing Klay and slotting him into Gary's spot is putting a LOT of faith into Paolo and Franz's (and to a lesser extent Suggs) respective developments as primary playmakers. Probably more faith than is warranted at this point in time.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Post#100 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 6:34 pm

Knightro wrote:I get the *idea* of signing Klay.

He's a battle-tested veteran who can succeed without needing the basketball all that much. He wouldn't cost anything asset wise other than money, and he likely would be coming off the books before Paolo's second contract even kicked in.

On paper he's a clear upgrade from Gary and he's also the one free agent that would upset the existing apple cart the least.

But signing Klay and slotting him into Gary's spot is putting a LOT of faith into Paolo and Franz's (and to a lesser extent Suggs) respective developments as primary playmakers. Probably more faith than is warranted at this point in time.

I feel the same way...I just don't know how much he moves the org forward by hitting open 3's...he's the best guy, but his skillset is now quite limited and he ain't going to "develop" any further. I'd much rather think longer term.

A guy like Simons or even Monk can do what Klay does, likely for less...definitely for longer and probably have a lot more in their bag.

A guy like Dejounte adds a whole additional dimension on both ends...

ORL was really close - any of these guys would have pushed us over CLE. Just a little more diversity in offense would result in much more reliable offensive output each night. This could be a really good team soon and for a while if we hit this right. I'm not crazy about PG13 idea and he's undeniably better than all of them-at the moment.

Return to Orlando Magic