ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,794

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#141 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 12:51 am

Knightro wrote:Monk + Hartenstein would be a great offseason. They are both good players who fill needs.

Plus they would then be able to shop Cole and Wendell for upgrades elsewhere.

I just don't get the sense Weltman's willing to do any sort of "shake up" to that level.

Both have situations where their present teams can't match beyond a certain point - which also takes them out of SnT scenarios...basically, assuming they are worth more than their teams can pay (Monk definitely is, Hartenstein maybe), then only cap teams are real threats to swipe them and there aren't many other teams with that kind of money available...I don't think we are quite there without renouncing Isaac (don't do it) or, maybe sending out Cole or WCJ or other salary for picks or nothing. I imagine we could clear some cap by moving our frp for a future one -just to get rid of the cap hold.

Hartenstein could have some suitors with cap space...possibly SAS or OKC, but I don't really see any really sensible bidders for Monk...that would be a heck of a summer.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,794

Post#142 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 12:53 am

Message Boar wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:76ers have one of most unique situations in nba. Team with top 5 player and loaded with cash to spend. I assume whole point of not resinging Maxey last year was this offseason.

You would be correct, sir.

That max deal is sitting on Morey's desk and Maxey's already read it and there's a pen ready for the day after they sign Paul George.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#143 » by MasterGMer » Wed May 8, 2024 1:05 am

Max Power wrote:To do a major shake up of this roster would kind of be an admission of failure. This rebuild has been a huge success so far. In 3 years we’re one better second half from playing Boston tonight. I think this team is still in the building stage, not the stage where they admit something isn’t working. Yes trading for a star at this point makes sense as does good players of need. But retooling 3/4 of the roster doesn’t make sense to me.

Then maybe we have to agree to disagree.

It depends on the piece we are targeting and it depends on the magnitude of change it brings to the team. Yes, you can use the word "Gamble". For example, If Giannis just popped up on the trade market, do we give up Suggs or Franz for Giannis? That will be a huge gamble. But I promise you half the this franchise are going to say yes and half of the this franchise are going to say no. (by no ways I said we should trade for Giannis)

Why is it a gamble? And why do we have to take the gamble instead of letting this team grow organically and systematically? Because of the ultimate goal which is to win a Championship and the potential positive impact of such a trade.

Yes, different franchises have different philosophies and different approaches of such a decision. Sometimes a championship team being built takes "Luck". If every GM or president can just flat out build a team because of a theory or system, then Jeff Weltman is going to be the most popular GM in the league 100%.

My point is "Sometimes we have to make uncomfortable decisions even it means breaking up the core we currently have which is Suggs, Franz and Paolo, maybe JI too"
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,810

Post#144 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 1:19 am

Skybox wrote:Both have situations where their present teams can't match beyond a certain point - which also takes them out of SnT scenarios...basically, assuming they are worth more than their teams can pay (Monk definitely is, Hartenstein maybe), then only cap teams are real threats to swipe them and there aren't many other teams with that kind of money available...I don't think we are quite there without renouncing Isaac (don't do it) or, maybe sending out Cole or WCJ or other salary for picks or nothing. I imagine we could clear some cap by moving our frp for a future one -just to get rid of the cap hold.

Hartenstein could have some suitors with cap space...possibly SAS or OKC, but I don't really see any really sensible bidders for Monk...that would be a heck of a summer.

If the Magic dump Ingles, they would have $43M to spend.

Is $43M enough to get both guys? I think it could be.

Monk's max from Sacramento is 4/78 which is 19.5 AAV. So the Magic would probably have to go to at least $22-23M to get him.

That would leave around $20M for Hartenstein. His max from NYK is slightly less than Monk's is from Sacramento.
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,945

Post#145 » by OrlandoDream » Wed May 8, 2024 1:22 am

Hartenstein is going to have alot of suitors. While it would be nice to upgrade C, we need to address our backcourt needs before anything else.

Too bad Raptors beat us for Quickley. He would have been perfect.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#146 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2024 1:23 am

Knightro wrote:The most realistic trade idea I can come up with for Trae Young…

Cole Anthony
Anthony Black
Jett Howard
2024 1st
2026 1st
2028 1st
Pick swaps in 2025 and 2027.

For

Trae Young
And one of Capela or Hunter

G: Young
G: Suggs, Houstan
F: F. Wagner, Hunter
F: Banchero, Isaac
C: Carter, M. Wagner

Would probably need to dip into the free agency pool to address the back up guard situation at that point since they would be sending out three guards.

Honestly? They could resign Markelle to be the back up point guard at that point.

Looks fun! Same offer for Murray makes me happier. :D

PG Dejounte Murray
SG Jalen Suggs
SF Franz Wagner
PF Paolo Banchero
C Wendell Carter Jr
Skin
RealGM

Post#147 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2024 1:25 am

Knightro wrote:
Skybox wrote:Both have situations where their present teams can't match beyond a certain point - which also takes them out of SnT scenarios...basically, assuming they are worth more than their teams can pay (Monk definitely is, Hartenstein maybe), then only cap teams are real threats to swipe them and there aren't many other teams with that kind of money available...I don't think we are quite there without renouncing Isaac (don't do it) or, maybe sending out Cole or WCJ or other salary for picks or nothing. I imagine we could clear some cap by moving our frp for a future one -just to get rid of the cap hold.

If the Magic dump Ingles, they would have $43M to spend.

Is $43M enough to get both guys? I think it could be.

Monk's max from Sacramento is 4/78 which is 19.5 AAV. So the Magic would probably have to go to at least $22-23M to get him.

That would leave around $20M for Hartenstein. His max from NYK is slightly less than Monk's is from Sacramento.

I don't see Monk and Hartenstein as being the missing pieces for our championship run. :nonono:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#148 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 1:30 am

Skin wrote:I don't see Monk and Hartenstein as being the missing pieces for our championship run. :nonono:

I don't think Weltman's willing to make sweeping changes, but hypothetically if he did sign Monk and Hartenstein, that would just be a step one of a multi-step process.

Step two would be trading away Cole Anthony and Wendell Carter, perhaps with multiple picks attached to really hone in on the best fitting high talent pieces for the roster.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#149 » by Knightro » Wed May 8, 2024 1:32 am

Skin wrote:Looks fun! Same offer for Murray makes me happier. :D

Feels like a team could get Murray for a LOT less than this. He's a much worse player than Young and I think the perception around the league is the same.

The rumor was that Atlanta was willing to trade him to LA for basically Hood-Schifino and two firsts, contingent on the Lakers finding a third team for Russell. That's a lot less than what I laid out above.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,131

Post#150 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 8, 2024 1:34 am

OrlandoDream wrote:Hartenstein is going to have alot of suitors. While it would be nice to upgrade C, we need to address our backcourt needs before anything else.

Murray is better than Quickley.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 594

Post#151 » by MasterGMer » Wed May 8, 2024 1:40 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
OrlandoDream wrote:Hartenstein is going to have alot of suitors. While it would be nice to upgrade C, we need to address our backcourt needs before anything else.

But tbh I do not see Magic franchise taking a chance on Murray this summer, at least my opinion. What is the fit? He is going to take possessions off of Franz and Paolo. How are the shots being distributed? If I am correct, he takes a lot of bad shots which tells you something about his shot making. Not good. We need a shooter. To me, that may be Trae Young or Klay. But Trae is too expensive plus he has no defense. Do we also trust Klay when he is 34 this year? Malik Monk is definitely my favorite. Can he lead the second unit the same time while being a starter. That is how I see the fit. I know I know we are not paying him 24M to be a backup. But you can see the rotation and role we can instill in this lineup. Just different combination. Plus he is free. lol
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,131

Post#152 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 8, 2024 1:49 am

MasterGMer wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:

But tbh I do not see Magic franchise taking a chance on Murray this summer, at least my opinion. What is the fit? He is going to take possessions off of Franz and Paolo. How are the shots being distributed? If I am correct, he takes a lot of bad shots which tells you something about his shot making. Not good. We need a shooter. To me, that may be Trae Young or Klay. But Trae is too expensive plus he has no defense. Do we also trust Klay when he is 34 this year? Malik Monk is definitely my favorite. Can he lead the second unit the same time while being a starter. That is how I see the fit. I know I know we are not paying him 24M to be a backup. But you can see the rotation and role we can instill in this lineup. Just different combination. Plus he is free. lol

What are bad shots though? Mid-range? Yes, so does Paolo. So the question then becomes are we taking way too many mid-range shots? Its something Ive thought about, but maybe if theyre both are creating for each other, they will both cut down on the rate of mid-range shots and get easier buckets. Murray was a good catch and shoot 3 point shooter this year at 40%. That spaces the floor for everyone. Murray has tried his best to fit in offensively with Trae. Its the defense that has been the problem there for the most part. Im not really that concerned about him taking possesions from Paolo and Franz.

Trae Young is better than Murray, but will cost a lot more, and TBH i like Murray's fit more.

Dont want Klay at all.

I like Monk a lot. Definitely has to be an option, but Murray is a proven starter.
pinoynurse
Bench Warmer
And1: 362

Post#153 » by pinoynurse » Wed May 8, 2024 4:01 am

Knightro wrote:Monk + Hartenstein would be a great offseason. They are both good players who fill needs.

Plus they would then be able to shop Cole and Wendell for upgrades elsewhere.

I just don't get the sense Weltman's willing to do any sort of "shake up" to that level.

and here is where im interested in how Weltman operates. By and large he has been very risk averse, benefiting from the lack of pressure of an early rebuild. but now that we are entering the early stages of trying to build a competetive playoff team, that luxury will lessen year after year.
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,387

Post#154 » by pepe1991 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:40 am

I have hard time picturing Hartenstein leaving after being starer on a team that is probably going to CF.
from Knicks angle too, Robinson has been injury prone and hardly played this year, and is now again probably lost for reminder of a season.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skin
RealGM

Post#155 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2024 6:45 am

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:Looks fun! Same offer for Murray makes me happier. :D

Feels like a team could get Murray for a LOT less than this. He's a much worse player than Young and I think the perception around the league is the same.

The rumor was that Atlanta was willing to trade him to LA for basically Hood-Schifino and two firsts, contingent on the Lakers finding a third team for Russell. That's a lot less than what I laid out above.

Even better, I'd gladly take Murray for the cheapest offer we could send.
Skin
RealGM

Post#156 » by Skin » Wed May 8, 2024 6:47 am

Knightro wrote:
Skin wrote:I don't see Monk and Hartenstein as being the missing pieces for our championship run. :nonono:

I don't think Weltman's willing to make sweeping changes, but hypothetically if he did sign Monk and Hartenstein, that would just be a step one of a multi-step process.

Step two would be trading away Cole Anthony and Wendell Carter, perhaps with multiple picks attached to really hone in on the best fitting high talent pieces for the roster.

I was disappointed in drafting Cole from Day 1. For a moment there, I thought I could be wrong, but nope. He needs to go.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,234

Post#157 » by cedric76 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:01 am

Knightro wrote:The most realistic trade idea I can come up with for Trae Young…

Cole Anthony
Anthony Black
Jett Howard
2024 1st
2026 1st
2028 1st
Pick swaps in 2025 and 2027.

For

Trae Young
And one of Capela or Hunter

G: Young
G: Suggs, Houstan
F: F. Wagner, Hunter
F: Banchero, Isaac
C: Carter, M. Wagner

Would probably need to dip into the free agency pool to address the back up guard situation at that point since they would be sending out three guards.

Honestly? They could resign Markelle to be the back up point guard at that point.

Zéro zero interest in young, he ll get exposed every year in playoffs, meaning this team would never win a title
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
cedric76
RealGM

Post#158 » by cedric76 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:04 am

yoyojw17 wrote:Talentwise + Cost = Murray for me.... but ... it will cost us some of what we got

Talentwise + Cost + Circumstance = Monk ....i think we could see him take a step forward and grow with us as well.... while as a free agent... we can maintain black and howard that would most likely have been added in a trade... annnnd our picks. Picks are an opportunity to get cheap talent and when utilized appropriately they are very valuable.

and then third.... Hartenstein.

Monk + Hartenstein would be a homerun summer for me. we help our offense immensely and still maintain defensive strengths

So you go for Monk and if it s not working by Feb 2025, you trade him + 2frp for Murray which lead to same result as your initial point but saved you a LOT of assets
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
cedric76
RealGM

Post#159 » by cedric76 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:10 am

MasterGMer wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:

Trae is not a shooter, he is a chucker
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,195

Post#160 » by zaymon » Wed May 8, 2024 9:46 am

Residual-Heat wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:Murray is better than Quickley.

What are bad shots though? Mid-range? Yes, so does Paolo. So the question then becomes are we taking way too many mid-range shots? Its something Ive thought about, but maybe if theyre both are creating for each other, they will both cut down on the rate of mid-range shots and get easier buckets. Murray was a good catch and shoot 3 point shooter this year at 40%. That spaces the floor for everyone. Murray has tried his best to fit in offensively with Trae. Its the defense that has been the problem there for the most part. Im not really that concerned about him taking possesions from Paolo and Franz.

Trae Young is better than Murray, but will cost a lot more, and TBH i like Murray's fit more.

Dont want Klay at all.

I like Monk a lot. Definitely has to be an option, but Murray is a proven starter.

Well we should first answer what shots we consider good shots. Corner 3s after drives. Involving bigs in pick and roll. Lay ups. Free throws.
I think Young is better than Murray at everything except going all the way to the rim.
I am curious how you stop Young/Banchero pick and roll. Also Franz would score a lot more on cuts with passer of Trae caliber.
Murray is not in the same stratosphere as a passer.
To me Young is difference maker who ran top 10 offense in the past and is worth assets. Murray doesnt have same resume and I would prefer to sign someone like Jones or Monk for free or trade for someone much cheaper like Brogdon.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !

Return to Orlando Magic