ImageImageImageImage

Do you think Franz Wagner should get a Max or not?

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Should Franz Wagner be signed to a max contract?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 66

The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 422

Do you think Franz Wagner should get a Max or not? 

Post#1 » by The-Stallion70 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:44 pm

Yes or no and what is your reasoning?
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,790

Re: Do you think Franz Wagner should get a Max or not? 

Post#2 » by Skybox » Mon May 6, 2024 12:58 pm

he's a great player but, even at his best moments to date - he's never been a max player, imo. Not every good player is a max player - that should be kind of obvious. Teams having multiple max players are either contending NOW or foolishly capped out.

Paolo IS a max player...the separation has become even clearer. Franz is a guy that absolutely makes a team much better and is the best guy on the floor often. He could be a future All-Star, but that's not, imo, the definition of a max player.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#3 » by Message Boar » Mon May 6, 2024 1:09 pm

Can someone please establish what the maximum number is we could actually sign him to this offseason (which would then kick in next summer), since the max is a bit of a moving target?

That being said, I'd offer him a good deal but not the max. If his agent complains I just postpone the negotiations until next year and tell him to prove it. Both that he's worth the max and that he can shoot.

Love Franz though, and I want us to move forward with him. Just didn't love what happened yesterday.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,806

Post#4 » by Knightro » Mon May 6, 2024 1:23 pm

Message Boar wrote:Can someone please establish what the maximum number is we could actually sign him to this offseason (which would then kick in next summer), since the max is a bit of a moving target?

That being said, I'd offer him a good deal but not the max. If his agent complains I just postpone the negotiations until next year and tell him to prove it. Both that he's worth the max and that he can shoot.

Love Franz though, and I want us to move forward with him. Just didn't love what happened yesterday.

25% of the salary cap whenever the contract starts.

So if the cap jumps to $155M (this would be the maximum increase allowed) ahead of the 25-26 season, Franz's starting salary would be $38.75M that year. If the cap comes in less than that, his starting salary would be less.

He is *worth* a max contract? Probably not, but most of the NBA players who have max contracts are not *worth* it either and that's just the nature of the business.

He's going to either get the max or get extremely close to it.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 130

Post#5 » by byeganyo » Mon May 6, 2024 1:27 pm

Should we- no, of course, if he wants to play for less money, he is welcome.
Would we - probably yes, otherwise we risk losing him.
Maybe we can save couple of millions, i dont know i donw know if it makes any difference.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 707

Post#6 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 6, 2024 1:34 pm

I'm not voting. You negotiate and see what he and his agent believes. Franz is a near max guy regardless of whether he is Max or not it is almost irrelevant to be mad one way or another.

I do not question whether or not Franz cares enough to improve his game. I think he will.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#7 » by drsd » Mon May 6, 2024 1:50 pm

Knightro wrote:
Message Boar wrote:Can someone please establish what the maximum number is we could actually sign him to this offseason (which would then kick in next summer), since the max is a bit of a moving target?

25% of the salary cap whenever the contract starts.

So if the cap jumps to $155M (this would be the maximum increase allowed) ahead of the 25-26 season, Franz's starting salary would be $38.75M that year. If the cap comes in less than that, his starting salary would be less.

He is *worth* a max contract? Probably not, but most of the NBA players who have max contracts are not *worth* it either and that's just the nature of the business.

He's going to either get the max or get extremely close to it.

And-1

I am quite certain F-Wagner will get at least a 32M extension. The jump to 38, is it really worth pissing him off? Coach after game-7 called F-Wagner "a future Allstar". I am guess that is the first video clip of the mixed tape F-Wagner's agent will play to ownership and management. The idea that F-Wagner would "only" get 25M is beyond ridiculous. It is insulting. It would be better if Orlando offered nothing than offer 25M.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#8 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 6, 2024 2:02 pm

He should get whatever retains him. /thread
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#9 » by eyriq » Mon May 6, 2024 2:05 pm

drsd wrote:The idea that F-Wagner would "only" get 25M is beyond ridiculous. It is insulting.

This cannot be overstated. Bobby Marks is absurd for polluting the zeitgeist with this nonsense.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,855

Post#10 » by Rainwater » Mon May 6, 2024 3:11 pm

Should he get max money? No. Will he get max money? Yes. To keep him here you will have to give it to him.
SHAQ32
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,962

Post#11 » by SHAQ32 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:16 pm

He should get max punishment for that historically dreadful game 7 performance

But I think this franchise might like coddling bums. You see how much love Nick Anderson gets
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,078

Post#12 » by SOUL » Mon May 6, 2024 9:37 pm

Read on Twitter
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#13 » by Skin » Mon May 6, 2024 9:40 pm

NBA players get overpaid. Get over it. Max is guaranteed.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#14 » by JF5 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:58 pm

He's borderline allstar with a potential to grow more and is only 22 years old. He'll likely get maxed out.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,923

Post#15 » by RookieStar » Mon May 6, 2024 10:06 pm

Yes he should.

I mean it would be great if Franz himself would say to the FO that he will give us a discount for the stinker he put up ina G7 but I think his agent will slap him and put an end to that kind of nonsense.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 422

Post#16 » by The-Stallion70 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:06 pm

Skin wrote:NBA players get overpaid. Get over it. Max is guaranteed.

And you can get over it too, whatever that is.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,657

Post#17 » by Skin » Mon May 6, 2024 10:14 pm

Soon, he will be a household name... Just like Dirk. People will know who Franz is simply by the mention of his first name.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#18 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 6, 2024 10:15 pm

I wish this was an easier decision if Franz 3 continued the trajectory it was on his first 2 seasons and his in between game developed more. Thatd be an easy max contract

I think he'll get close to or the same contract that Desmond Bane got. Fairly close to max.

So a 5 yr/175-200 mil, btwn 35-40 mil a year
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,903

Post#19 » by Message Boar » Mon May 6, 2024 11:11 pm

Skin wrote:NBA players get overpaid. Get over it. Max is guaranteed.

This may have been true some years ago, but with the new cba, you really shouldn't be maxing anyone that you're not confident in to be a second option on a championship team. Not even the "low"-ish rookie max.

As for the shooting, I'm confident he'll get back to around league average soon enough. I'm honestly more concerned about how he let Max Strus lock him up when Strus decided to really try hard for a game.

I think $30M-$33M AAV (or starting there and then with normal yearly increases, I could settle for that) is about fair for Franz if we were to do an extension this offseason. (so that would go roughly 33>35,6>38,5>41,6>44,9 which makes 5/~193,6M, or 38,7M per year on average)
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,563

Post#20 » by Bensational » Mon May 6, 2024 11:26 pm

Our FO just doesn’t hand out max deals willy-nilly, and they always seem to negotiate guys into good deals.

I suspect they’ll offer both Franz and Suggs high level deals that aren’t max deals, and happily give them the following season to play into a larger contract if they feel they can develop that much further. But I think the deal will be close enough to what they want that they’ll sign anyway.

Return to Orlando Magic