ImageImageImageImage

Do you think Franz Wagner should get a Max or not?

Moderators: UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass

Should Franz Wagner be signed to a max contract?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 69

RichCollab
Starter
And1: 728

Re: Do you think Franz Wagner should get a Max or not? 

Post#21 » by RichCollab » Tue May 7, 2024 12:29 am

Zero chance we let him walk.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,896

Post#22 » by Skybox » Tue May 7, 2024 12:42 am

:lol: How did not giving him a max deteriorate into letting him walk :crazy:
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,039

Post#23 » by Driguez » Tue May 7, 2024 1:25 am

We are resigning him for whatever the FO values him at, probably the max. Also, stop worrying about billionaires money Lol you aren't signing their checks. I trust this FO.
Huevos Bancheros
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#24 » by CocoaFan » Tue May 7, 2024 1:55 am

Reminds me of the poll the Orlando Sentinel came out with asking if Shaq was worth the money and your average Joe's all voted no. Shaq used that as a reason he left the Magic. Said he wasn't appreciated.
RichCollab
Starter

Post#25 » by RichCollab » Tue May 7, 2024 2:18 am

Let’s not **** around and then find out.
Orlando Dawg
Analyst
And1: 53

Post#26 » by Orlando Dawg » Tue May 7, 2024 2:21 am

I correctly predicted Magic would pay Moritz 8 mil
Here Magic might take the Max (~38 mil) and subtract Moritz (~8 mil) and offer Franz ~30 mil/year starting.
The sales pitch will be “Franz + Moritz = the max”
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,044

Post#27 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 2:52 am

When I read:

I am reminded by the O-Sen poll asking fans, "Should Shaq be paid 100M?" It is a flawed question with flawed grammar. And all it does is rile up a young man.

Really the question should be more like, "Is the market for F-Wagner to be offered a max-contract"?

Look: nobody "should" make even a 100k a year to throw a ball at a metal ring. But if the market is F-Wagner as a max guy, than he will be offered a max contract.

In conclusion, how about this sentence for the poll: Will Franz Wagner be signed to a max contract?
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 438

Post#28 » by The-Stallion70 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:03 am

RichCollab wrote:Zero chance we let him walk.

Not the question being asked.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,418

Post#29 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 7, 2024 5:41 am

drsd wrote:When I read:

I am reminded by the O-Sen poll asking fans, "Should Shaq be paid 100M?" It is a flawed question with flawed grammar. And all it does is rile up a young man.

Really the question should be more like, "Is the market for F-Wagner to be offered a max-contract"?

Look: nobody "should" make even a 100k a year to throw a ball at a metal ring. But if the market is F-Wagner as a max guy, than he will be offered a max contract.

In conclusion, how about this sentence for the poll: Will Franz Wagner be signed to a max contract?

Yea, my ideal team is made out of 8 allstars with each and every one of them is being payed vets minimum so i can get better.

I don't want players to get payed, because league works under restricted money to use, it's not that i care who makes what, it's more of basketball reasons why i root against max contracts.

But as you said, we have no control over market, market for 6'10 SG/SF/PF who is 22-23 years old and averages 20 ppg says he will get max contract from somebody.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,579

Post#30 » by Bensational » Tue May 7, 2024 6:07 am

There are 43 players who are paid $30M or more this season.

A max for Franz will put him in that Desmond Bane $34M - Darius Garland $36M range. His name doesn’t sound out of place amongst them.

Suggs is probably going to get an offer in the Jaden McDaniels $22M to Andrew Wiggins $26M range.

All up, $60M together. Better value than Bradley Beal!
RichCollab
Starter

Post#31 » by RichCollab » Tue May 7, 2024 7:05 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:

Someone is going to pay Franz max. Hope it’s us.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,928

Post#32 » by Message Boar » Tue May 7, 2024 7:47 am

RichCollab wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:

Someone is going to pay Franz max. Hope it’s us.

Honestly, worst case scenario we match it in restricted free agency or maybe (very unlikely) we put him in a trade package for a bonafide all-star. 0% chance this front office just lets Franz walk.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#33 » by Skin » Tue May 7, 2024 8:35 am

Message Boar wrote:
Skin wrote:NBA players get overpaid. Get over it. Max is guaranteed.

This may have been true some years ago, but with the new cba, you really shouldn't be maxing anyone that you're not confident in to be a second option on a championship team. Not even the "low"-ish rookie max.

As for the shooting, I'm confident he'll get back to around league average soon enough. I'm honestly more concerned about how he let Max Strus lock him up when Strus decided to really try hard for a game.

I think $30M-$33M AAV (or starting there and then with normal yearly increases, I could settle for that) is about fair for Franz if we were to do an extension this offseason. (so that would go roughly 33>35,6>38,5>41,6>44,9 which makes 5/~193,6M, or 38,7M per year on average)

Who comes to your mind?
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 438

Post#34 » by The-Stallion70 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:49 am

drsd wrote:When I read:

It is not flawed grammar, maybe to you but not to us yanks.

Changing "should" to "will" changes the question as well on an rudimentary level. We both know that players do get paid maxes even if we do not actually totally believe they are worth it. This is why I asked to explain reasoning because there different possible interpretations and reasoning for each.

If you think hard enough you could probably imagine both questions to mean the same thing in this context but thats probably asking a bit much.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
Message Boar
Analyst

Post#35 » by Message Boar » Tue May 7, 2024 10:06 am

Skin wrote:
Spoiler:
Message Boar wrote:
Skin wrote:NBA players get overpaid. Get over it. Max is guaranteed.

This may have been true some years ago, but with the new cba, you really shouldn't be maxing anyone that you're not confident in to be a second option on a championship team. Not even the "low"-ish rookie max.

As for the shooting, I'm confident he'll get back to around league average soon enough. I'm honestly more concerned about how he let Max Strus lock him up when Strus decided to really try hard for a game.

I think $30M-$33M AAV (or starting there and then with normal yearly increases, I could settle for that) is about fair for Franz if we were to do an extension this offseason. (so that would go roughly 33>35,6>38,5>41,6>44,9 which makes 5/~193,6M, or 38,7M per year on average)

Who comes to your mind?

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you're asking, but from the previous class the rookies (2020) to receive max extensions during the equivalent summer to this upcoming one were Edwards, Haliburton, LaMelo. Then under that you have Bane, McDaniels, Vassell as the only ones that over 50% of the max AAV in extensions that offseason (source: Spotrac).

The 2019 class had Zion, Morant, Garland getting maxed, then Poole, Herro, Barrett, Hunter in the 50-99% max group.

The 2018 class had Luka, SGA, Trae and Michael Porter jr. getting maxed (Luka/Trae on supermaxes because of all-nba teams), then JJJ, Mikal Bridges in the second group. If you remember what the perception of Mikal was when he was with the Suns back then; he got almost two-thirds of the max.

I think it's fair to say that based on last season as a whole, I identify Franz more as a guy in the second group, probably/hopefully on the higher end of it. I maintain my stance that if I were negotiating for the Magic and his agent insists on the max, I'd tell him to go out there and prove it next season. And I love Franz, he's probably my favorite player right now, even though Suggs is challenging for that spot. Speaking of which, someone should make a Suggs extension discussion thread :)
drsd
RealGM

Post#36 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 10:11 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:It is not flawed grammar, maybe to you but not to us yanks.

Dude: I was born in Winter Park (on the old Navy base). 6-years time served at Publix. I graduated UCF.

But I do question you here: You should KNOW that yankees are from the North. That you would use that word, Are you the transplant (New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.)?

Changing "should" to "will" changes the question as well on an rudimentary level. We both know that players do get paid maxes even if we do not actually totally believe they are worth it. This is why I asked to explain reasoning because there different possible interpretations and reasoning for each.

If you think hard enough you could probably imagine both questions to mean the same thing in this context but thats probably asking a bit much.

And that is my point. The question actually makes more sense as an expectations question over a desire question. Asking if F-Wagner "should" make 30M+ per season is a ridiculous question. The only Magic employee that should make that kind of money is Stuff.

You are probably too young to remember that "should" lost Shaq. I am old enough to know, DON'T ask that question.
Message Boar
Analyst

Post#37 » by Message Boar » Tue May 7, 2024 10:18 am

drsd wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:It is not flawed grammar, maybe to you but not to us yanks.

Dude: I was born in Winter Park (on the old Navy base). 6-years time served at Publix. I graduated UCF.

But I do question you here: You should KNOW that yankees are from the North. That you would use that word, Are you the transplant (New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.)?

And that is my point. The question actually makes more sense as an expectations question over a desire question. Asking if F-Wagner "should" make 30M+ per season is a ridiculous question. The only Magic employee that should make that kind of money is Stuff.

You are probably too young to remember that "should" lost Shaq. I am old enough to know, DON'T ask that question.

You're paranoid. This is an internet message board not the main local newspaper (and we're probably more informed around here than the voters in the Shaq poll were back then). And even if this ever reached Franz I'm confident he would keep a level head about it and not care, as he should. If you want a poll asking what Franz Wagner will get if he gets extended this summer, go ahead and make that. This thread seems to be about more posters discussing what a "fair value" extension would be and if that's the max.
drsd
RealGM

Post#38 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 10:22 am

Message Boar wrote:You're paranoid.

The-Stallion70 used the word "yanks". That is not a word anyone from Central Florida would ever use about Floridians (at least "in my day").

:)
drsd
RealGM

Post#39 » by drsd » Tue May 7, 2024 10:32 am

Message Boar wrote:This is an internet message board not the main local newspaper (and we're probably more informed around here than the voters in the Shaq poll were back then).

This is an interesting point to reflect on. In 1989-1994 (the first five years)*, every Magic fan read the O-Sen sports page every day. But that was it. It is true that there is a lot more "noise" now about what is possible. Back then, there was no obsession of let's trade X for Y. It was much more about the product than the process, back then.

Ah: simpler times!

* = I left Florida for Wisconsin in 1994 and had the O-Sen delivered to me in Madison. Then Mosaic became Netscape and that was that.
Message Boar
Analyst

Post#40 » by Message Boar » Tue May 7, 2024 10:42 am

Times have changed, that's for sure. But here we are and we have places to geek out about basketball minutiae.

Oh, and the paranoid remark was about your last sentence not the first :P , additionally, that poll probably accounts for at most 2% of the reason Shaq left, with most of it being the Magic lowballing him and Shaq just wanting to go to Hollywood and be in movies and stuff (and play for one of the premier franchises in the sport). Some jealousy of Penny and his endorsements also factored in somewhere, if what I remember reading/hearing is right. Anyway we're getting very sidetracked here, let's get back on topic on page 3 :D

Return to Orlando Magic