ImageImageImageImage

Suggs summer focus and goals

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

three3d
Junior
And1: 71

Suggs summer focus and goals 

Post#1 » by three3d » Tue May 7, 2024 2:46 pm

I love Jalen Suggs heart and energy that he plays with, he’s made tremendous improvements this season. He is without a doubt, the emotional leader of this team. This may seem controversial, and I mean absolutely no disrespect nor do I bring this up jokingly. Does anyone think outside working on his game in the traditional ways he could benefit a lot from yoga and possibly a sports psychologist? I’m not saying there is anything wrong with him, mental health comes with a lot of stigma and could be a touchy subject. But could he possibly learn how balance that lightning inside him and use it to his advantage? Maybe it would help everything slow down around him. So many times during the season there was that one moment where he had a horrible foul that hurt the game. I don’t want him to lose who he is a at all, we all feed off of that and his energy is contagious. Is there an advantage to him being able to have total control over it?
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Re: Suggs summer focus and goals 

Post#2 » by Message Boar » Tue May 7, 2024 3:05 pm

I seem to recall hearing at one point this year, that he said he did visit with a psychologist or something like that, and he credited that for him feeling better and having a much better year. It was about just being the best version of himself and not putting undue pressure on himself (like he did during his rookie year) to be a star in spite of the high draft position and predraft projections. I think it was on the Sixth Man Show or something like that?

More on topic, I'm not really sure what you're suggesting he could get out of that? I love Suggs' basketball personality, it's literally his best trait. Yes the occasional fouls on jump shooters are annoying but that comes mostly with the territory if you're gonna be a young phyiscal defender on the perimeter. Either way yoga or a sports psychologist wouldn't change that. It should get better in general as he gets older and more experienced. Once he gets some "rep" as an all-nba defender, it might help with the refs a bit, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. And he DOES use that lightning inside him to his advantage, almost all the time. Just sometimes we have to take the small amount of bad with the large amount of good, when it comes to stuff like that.

In general I don't think it's really fair to expect of anyone to essentially control their personality like an on/off-switch. Jalen could stand to get a bit smarter about when he gets handsy and grabby on the perimeter though, hopefully it will come. Otherwise we, the coaches and his teammates will just kind of have to live with it.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,963

Post#3 » by thelead » Tue May 7, 2024 4:05 pm

1. Work on the handle
2. Improve the midrange game
3. Work on shooting off the dribble
4. Work on changing speeds with the ball
5. Work on DHO 3's

All areas where he can make some good progress because he has already shown progress in these areas.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,941

Post#4 » by basketballRob » Tue May 7, 2024 4:14 pm

This will be Sugg's statement on what he's going to do with the extension money.

https://youtu.be/0yrIvEgqAuo?feature=shared

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
three3d
Junior
And1: 71

Post#5 » by three3d » Tue May 7, 2024 4:18 pm

basketballRob wrote:This will be Suggs statement on what he's going to do with the extension money.

https://youtu.be/0yrIvEgqAuo?feature=shared

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

:lol: Lol dude was honest at least
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 717

Post#6 » by RichCollab » Tue May 7, 2024 7:44 pm

Suggs needs to spend the entire summer in an ice bath.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 717

Post#7 » by RichCollab » Tue May 7, 2024 7:48 pm

three3d wrote:I love Jalen Suggs heart and energy that he plays with, he’s made tremendous improvements this season. He is without a doubt, the emotional leader of this team. This may seem controversial, and I mean absolutely no disrespect nor do I bring this up jokingly. Does anyone think outside working on his game in the traditional ways he could benefit a lot from yoga and possibly a sports psychologist? I’m not saying there is anything wrong with him, mental health comes with a lot of stigma and could be a touchy subject. But could he possibly learn how balance that lightning inside him and use it to his advantage? Maybe it would help everything slow down around him. So many times during the season there was that one moment where he had a horrible foul that hurt the game. I don’t want him to lose who he is a at all, we all feed off of that and his energy is contagious. Is there an advantage to him being able to have total control over it?

Suggs, WCJ, Franz, Cole, and Black could all benefit from a Sports Psychologist. Maybe it’s time for the team to add a full time one?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,927

Post#8 » by RookieStar » Tue May 7, 2024 9:08 pm

RichCollab wrote:
three3d wrote:I love Jalen Suggs heart and energy that he plays with, he’s made tremendous improvements this season. He is without a doubt, the emotional leader of this team. This may seem controversial, and I mean absolutely no disrespect nor do I bring this up jokingly. Does anyone think outside working on his game in the traditional ways he could benefit a lot from yoga and possibly a sports psychologist? I’m not saying there is anything wrong with him, mental health comes with a lot of stigma and could be a touchy subject. But could he possibly learn how balance that lightning inside him and use it to his advantage? Maybe it would help everything slow down around him. So many times during the season there was that one moment where he had a horrible foul that hurt the game. I don’t want him to lose who he is a at all, we all feed off of that and his energy is contagious. Is there an advantage to him being able to have total control over it?

Suggs, WCJ, Franz, Cole, and Black could all benefit from a Sports Psychologist. Maybe it’s time for the team to add a full time one?

Is that Sports Psych from the Spurs who worked with Josh available?

JK
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,564

Post#9 » by Bensational » Tue May 7, 2024 9:13 pm

thelead wrote:1. Work on the handle
5. Work on DHO 3's

All areas where he can make some good progress because he has already shown progress in these areas.

I’d have him work on his handle, control of pace, PnR lobs and a floater.

I’m interested to see how much stronger his handles get. Oladipo is an example of a guy who really improved how dynamic he was on ball for someone who wasn’t on-ball much through college.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,563

Post#10 » by ibraheim718 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:34 pm

Do exactly what he did last summer.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,563

Post#11 » by ibraheim718 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:41 pm

Suggs got one 3rd place dpoy vote. Holiday got more which is laughable. Suggs has way more impact defensively than holiday.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#12 » by JF5 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:47 am

Better handling/security and decision maker. I think he has vision but the handling just kills him.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,129

Post#13 » by KillMonger » Wed May 8, 2024 4:22 am

Work on the body, it can be taken to another level he can get more explosive... Work on the finishing around the rim and really sharpen that floater, almost every good guard has a good float game...

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#14 » by Message Boar » Wed May 8, 2024 9:06 am

Personally I'd like to see him focus on ball handling, finishing in traffic, and a floater.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,048

Post#15 » by fendilim » Wed May 8, 2024 9:17 am

Keep shooting 3s
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#16 » by Def Swami » Wed May 8, 2024 4:49 pm

Decision-making. Just want him to watch a bunch of tape, work on his handle, and keep working on reading the defenses to make the right passes and knowing when to pull the trigger on a shot.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,569

Post#17 » by eyriq » Wed May 8, 2024 4:54 pm

Def Swami wrote:Decision-making. Just want him to watch a bunch of tape, work on his handle, and keep working on reading the defenses to make the right passes and knowing when to pull the trigger on a shot.
This. Expecting the game to slow down for him on the offensive end and a scoring leap to occur. I'm still holding stock on Suggs 3rd option island.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,796

Post#18 » by Skybox » Wed May 8, 2024 6:08 pm

eyriq wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Decision-making. Just want him to watch a bunch of tape, work on his handle, and keep working on reading the defenses to make the right passes and knowing when to pull the trigger on a shot.
This. Expecting the game to slow down for him on the offensive end and a scoring leap to occur. I'm still holding stock on Suggs 3rd option island.

We know you're hanging on all of the AB as our PG stock...so Suggs will NEED to have a scoring leap just to get our backcourt to average double figures. 8-)
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,438

Post#19 » by UCFJayBird » Wed May 8, 2024 6:56 pm

thelead wrote:1. Work on the handle
5. Work on DHO 3's

Bolded the two I think would be most beneficial. I'd add floaters and finished at the rim as well. Obviously keep shooting three's, but one of the most frustrating parts of his game this year offensively for me was that he could often get to an open mid range shot, but would avoid taking it or would be wildly off, or he'd get to the rim and miss something he should make 9/10 times, often because he was going TOO FAST.

I think he needs to control his speed better. i recall during one of the games the announcers were highlighting another player's ability to slow down in the lane, which throws off the defender and helps to create space, and that's something Jalen would benefit from A LOT. He goes so fast, especially on driving to the lane, that he often crashes while throwing up a shot too forcefully. If he could just decelerate for the last step or two it would open his inside game immensely and he'd become such a dynamic threat.

If he can do that and throw in a mid range and he could be an all-star. I don't expect him to become a master at either next year, but if he can show improvements I could see him turning into a borderline all-star in a few years (and the only reason he wouldn't be most years is there's just a glut of guards that can do these things and are #1 or #2 options on their teams, Jalen will likely always be #3 on this team, assuming we don't bring in a bigger name).
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,195

Post#20 » by zaymon » Wed May 8, 2024 7:08 pm

I think he will be the most effective in more limited role. I dont think his main focus should be ball handling or decision making becouse its doubtful he will ever use it extensively. More discipline on both offense and defense. Shooting. Maybe add some floater.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !

Return to Orlando Magic