ImageImageImageImage

RFA Immanuel Quickley, PG

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,665

RFA Immanuel Quickley, PG 

Post#1 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2024 9:13 pm

There's actually someone that I don't remember being discussed here all that much that I think would be the PERFECT FOR US! A kind of diamond in the rough. He's known, but not really considered a guy with star upside. He is also a RFA, but with our deep pockets this offseason, maybe we can steal him away.

Immanuel Quickley, 6'3 / 6'8.25 wingspan
24 years old

He really blossomed after finally getting a chance to emerge out of Brunson's shadow and become the starting PG for the Raptors.

18.6 PPG
6.8 APG vs 1.8 TPG
.395 3P% on 7.1 3PTA
80%+ FT shooter on 4.0 FTA

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/q/quickim01.html

Had some really amazing games in his career. LOVE what he could bring to the table for us. Shooting, emerging passer, good size, long arms, right age to grow with us. Blossoming at the right time. Could be a T-Mac-esque type of signing. Many thought we overpaid to get him, but he turned out to be way better than anticipated. Not saying he'll be T-Mac, so slow your critical misguided thoughts. Just saying that in terms of him being a guy who was raw, but could really take off in his second contract. I assume he'll be a $25M+ per year guy.

I would approach TOR about doing a S&T deal with them. Gives us a chance to know what they won't match at the very least!

Regarding FA: “Obviously like I said earlier business is always business, but I love Toronto,”

“I'm so glad that it happened,” Quickley said of the trade to Toronto. “It was probably the best thing for my career as far as just trying to think next steps and trying to be a great basketball player and also a development as a person. So I think it was good for me in all aspects.”

Quickely blossomed in Toronto, averaging 18.6 points and 6.8 assists per game with the Raptors, well above his career averages in New York.

But that step forward is also going to attract attention from other suitors this summer and it’s possible a rival team tries to make it tough on Toronto. Orlando and Detroit both have avenues to cap space and Quickley is the kind of young, dynamic point guard that cap space teams are going to be looking for.

Best mixture of the good things that Monk and Tyus bring to the table. Also this guy is a dawg and I love that. Time for us to get a Kentucky guard of our own.

Share your thoughts!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,124

Re: RFA Immanuel Quickley, PG 

Post#2 » by SOUL » Tue May 14, 2024 9:20 pm

I like him but Toronto is paying him. You don't trade OG for RJ and Quickley and only keep RJ.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 727

Post#3 » by RichCollab » Tue May 14, 2024 9:24 pm

Skin wrote:There's actually someone that I don't remember being discussed here all that much that I think would be the PERFECT FOR US! A kind of diamond in the rough. He's known, but not really considered a guy with star upside. He is also a RFA, but with our deep pockets this offseason, maybe we can steal him away.

Immanuel Quickley, 6'3 / 6'8.25 wingspan
24 years old

He really blossomed after finally getting a chance to emerge out of Brunson's shadow and become the starting PG for the Raptors.

18.6 PPG
6.8 APG vs 1.8 TPG
.395 3P% on 7.1 3PTA
80%+ FT shooter on 4.0 FTA

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/q/quickim01.html

Had some really amazing games in his career. LOVE what he could bring to the table for us. Shooting, emerging passer, good size, long arms, right age to grow with us. Blossoming at the right time. Could be a T-Mac-esque type of signing. Many thought we overpaid to get him, but he turned out to be way better than anticipated. Not saying he'll be T-Mac, so slow your critical misguided thoughts. Just saying that in terms of him being a guy who was raw, but could really take off in his second contract. I assume he'll be a $25M+ per year guy.

I would approach TOR about doing a S&T deal with them. Gives us a chance to know what they won't match at the very least!

Regarding FA: “Obviously like I said earlier business is always business, but I love Toronto,”

“I'm so glad that it happened,” Quickley said of the trade to Toronto. “It was probably the best thing for my career as far as just trying to think next steps and trying to be a great basketball player and also a development as a person. So I think it was good for me in all aspects.”

Quickely blossomed in Toronto, averaging 18.6 points and 6.8 assists per game with the Raptors, well above his career averages in New York.

But that step forward is also going to attract attention from other suitors this summer and it’s possible a rival team tries to make it tough on Toronto. Orlando and Detroit both have avenues to cap space and Quickley is the kind of young, dynamic point guard that cap space teams are going to be looking for.

Best mixture of the good things that Monk and Tyus bring to the table. Also this guy is a dawg and I love that. Time for us to get a Kentucky guard of our own.

Share your thoughts!

He has a lot to prove still.

Raptors are going to match pretty much any offer. You ready to max him to put full pressure on Raptors?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,919

Post#4 » by Knightro » Tue May 14, 2024 9:44 pm

I’d be very interested, I just don’t see a situation where Toronto wouldn’t match whatever offer sheet he gets.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,314

Post#5 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 14, 2024 9:48 pm

SOUL wrote:I like him but Toronto is paying him. You don't trade OG for RJ and Quickley and only keep RJ.

This.

You don’t construct a trade around an asset like OG, just to later move Quickly within a season, while leaving your roster without a starting point guard.

Quickly was a target prior to getting traded to Toronto. Not really an option now.
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#6 » by Magicman125 » Tue May 14, 2024 10:04 pm

Agree with the sentiment he'd be a good fit for us, but also TOR likely to match any offer we make.

Similarly, I'd love to get Coby White but doubt CHI would give him up.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 416

Post#7 » by MagicTownBaller » Tue May 14, 2024 10:27 pm

What's his max contract look like?
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
Skin
RealGM

Post#8 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2024 10:41 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
SOUL wrote:I like him but Toronto is paying him. You don't trade OG for RJ and Quickley and only keep RJ.

This.

You don’t construct a trade around an asset like OG, just to later move Quickly within a season, while leaving your roster without a starting point guard.

Quickly was a target prior to getting traded to Toronto. Not really an option now.

Do you think it's possible for TOR to consider a S&T where they recoup some of that trade value?

Sending them back some combination of Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Wendell Carter Jr, picks, etc.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#9 » by The Effect » Tue May 14, 2024 10:46 pm

Much like everyone else, I cant see any possible way the raptors let him leave
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,314

Post#10 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 14, 2024 10:48 pm

Skin wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

This.

Do you think it's possible for TOR to consider a S&T where they recoup some of that trade value?

Sending them back some combination of Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Wendell Carter Jr, picks, etc.

That package IMO is less valuable than OG Anunoby.

Black's potential is the X factor in that deal and whether or not they would think AB is better long term than Quickley. Thats an unnecessary risk I dont think they would take. Personally, I think IQ's skillset makes more sense next to Barnes than AB, but who knows. From Orlando's side of things I do NOT see them moving AB right now. It would be absolutely shocking if they did, which is why I don't think any trade involving him is really to be taken seriously. Thats just me.
Skin
RealGM

Post#11 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2024 10:56 pm

RichCollab wrote:He has a lot to prove still.

Raptors are going to match pretty much any offer. You ready to max him to put full pressure on Raptors?

He's proved a lot, I think what you mean is that he still has untapped potential. :wink: That is why you mention needing the max to put the pressure on the Raptors.

I am curious what TOR would consider too much though. Here's what I did find...

“Quickley was offered around $18 million per year and was looking for closer to $25 million annually,” Michael Scotto of HoopsHype wrote earlier this month. “Given the wide gap in extension talks, along with the belief Quickley would eventually like to start, the Knicks would consider moving last year’s Sixth Man of the Year finalist in the right trade.”

If Quickley plays well in a bigger role, that number could grow even bigger. Sportsnet’s Michael Grange reported Quickley is believed to be looking for a five-year deal worth approximately $135 million ($27 million per season).
Skin
RealGM

Post#12 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2024 10:58 pm

The Effect wrote:Much like everyone else, I cant see any possible way the raptors let him leave

I didn't think McGrady would leave Toronto.
Skin
RealGM

Post#13 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2024 11:04 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Skin wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
This.

That package IMO is less valuable than OG Anunoby.

Black's potential is the X factor in that deal and whether or not they would think AB is better long term than Quickley. Thats an unnecessary risk I dont think they would take. Personally, I think IQ's skillset makes more sense next to Barnes than AB, but who knows. From Orlando's side of things I do NOT see them moving AB right now. It would be absolutely shocking if they did, which is why I don't think any trade involving him is really to be taken seriously. Thats just me.

I mean, Anunoby is going to be demanding a $40M per year deal, not a $25M+ one. I would expect the same compensation.

The key is going to be dependent on the Magic's offer. If it is light, then yeah, TOR will match. Not even questioning that.

If they get into the uncomfortable range for Toronto to match, then that's where a S&T could work. TOR won't want to let him go for nothing. Typically in S&T deals, the originating team hardly gets anything. We gave Seattle 2 2nds for Rashard. We got peanuts for Ryan Anderson.

If the Magic offer the max and TOR doesn't want to match then, we don't even need a S&T.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 727

Post#14 » by RichCollab » Tue May 14, 2024 11:25 pm

Skin wrote:
The Effect wrote:Much like everyone else, I cant see any possible way the raptors let him leave

He is no Tracey McGrady
Skin
RealGM

Post#15 » by Skin » Tue May 14, 2024 11:34 pm

RichCollab wrote:
Skin wrote:

He is no Tracey McGrady

:lol: Yeah, and Tracey McGrady is no Taylor Swift. Glad we know how to put together a logical debate.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#16 » by Knightro » Tue May 14, 2024 11:44 pm

MagicTownBaller wrote:What's his max contract look like?

25% of the salary cap which is projected to be $141M.

So Quickley's max would start at 35.25M.

Signing with a new team would only mean 5% raises instead of 8%, so if he signed a full max offer sheet with a new team...

Year 1: 35.25M
Year 2: 37.01M
Year 3: 38.86M
Year 4: 40.80M
Total: 4 years, 151.92M

If he stays in Toronto he can sign a 5-year deal and also get 8% raises year over year.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,596

Post#17 » by eyriq » Tue May 14, 2024 11:47 pm

Not that interested. Monk and Russell probably give you similar production.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#18 » by Knightro » Tue May 14, 2024 11:58 pm

eyriq wrote:Not that interested. Monk and Russell probably give you similar production.

I tend to agree.

I do like Quickley, but it feels like he's worth 20-25M AAV.

Definitely couldn't go to $38M AAV which is what his max would be.

Anything under 30 and I think Toronto for sure matches.

Anything under 35, I think they hold their nose and still match.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,928

Post#19 » by Message Boar » Wed May 15, 2024 12:33 am

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Not that interested. Monk and Russell probably give you similar production.

I tend to agree.

I do like Quickley, but it feels like he's worth 20-25M AAV.

Definitely couldn't go to $38M AAV which is what his max would be.

Anything under 30 and I think Toronto for sure matches.

Anything under 35, I think they hold their nose and still match.

Good summary. Restricted Free Agency as a whole is annoying as hell and needs to be looked at. If we try to sign him, we're basically tying up a bunch of our cap space for a while, and the Raps likely match it right before the deadline. And then the free agency board is usually nearly all wiped out. Which in our current situation would be a disaster.

In my opinion, RFA is bad for the player, awful for teams intending to sign the free agent, and great for the team that holds his rights. It needs to be considered for a change during the next cba discussion.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,152

Post#20 » by Residual-Heat » Wed May 15, 2024 1:18 am

I agree with what Knightro and Eyriq said.

I will also add that even though he had this reputation of being a good defender, i feel his defense kind of got exposed when he became a starter. He clearly lacks strength.

We shouldnt be overpaying him, nor do i want to give up any decent assets for him.

If you want someone that gives you 40+% 3pt shooting and good playmaking with a low assist:TO ratio, another option is Malcolm Brogdon. He's very injury prone, but we can limit his minutes and that will allow Black and Howard to play more. He isnt the answer long term, nor would he be my first option, but he's definitely better than nothing.

Return to Orlando Magic