ImageImageImageImage

Teams Going Off Against The Magic

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,055

Post#21 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Jan 2, 2008 12:30 am

It's not defense. Guys hit crazy shots on us all the time. Scrubs. Guys shooting 20% for the season. They play us and they can hit hook shots from halfcourt blindfolded.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 103

Post#22 » by otownflava21 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:20 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:It's not defense. Guys hit crazy shots on us all the time. Scrubs. Guys shooting 20% for the season. They play us and they can hit hook shots from halfcourt blindfolded.

Darrell Armstrong FTW!!!!

Darrell's no scrub tho....
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#23 » by Hairy Midget » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:24 am

Seriously, it's always something.

Whenever other teams get lots of calls against us, the excuse is usually:

"Well they came out aggressive and they got the calls."

Today we came out aggressive on defense and driving a lot on offense. We got no calls. The nets played passive all game until the fourth then started driving and playing defense just in the 4th quarter and they get all the calls. Combine that with usual scrubs making tough shots against us and it seems like it always makes it a close game.

What the **** hell.

It's always something.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,780

Post#24 » by FFBlitzace » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:25 am

I have no answer for it.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#25 » by MagicFan32 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:17 am

Ok here are what are problems are IMO...

We rarely defend and rebound well on the same night.

When we rebound well it's because our guards sag down on their guy and chip in with 3/4/5 boards

When we defend well our guards are exerting so much defensively they can't come down and grab boards, what i'm starting to see is teams launching jumpers and then just crowding the paint because Dwight can't cover all of it by himself. the second chance points are what hurt, we seem to do fine stopping the first shot.

Eventually we need to try to get Dwight and Foyle on the floor together for extended minutes, that will help cut down the second shot opportunities. Honestly if you watch alot of our games the perimeter guys are doing a relatively fine job of keeping guys on the outside and out of the paint.

If we want to be a legit contender we do need to either solidify the two spot, or get another big, basically if we could somehow swing a trade for Ron Artest we would get the defense and rebounding that we need as well as some offense, but that's far fetched.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,035

Post#26 » by drsd » Thu Jan 3, 2008 1:36 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:We rarely defend and rebound well on the same night.

Eventually we need to try to get Dwight and Foyle on the floor together for extended minutes...

I do not disagree with your first point. It is sad indeed when Howard averages 15 rpg, but the Magic are not dominating the glass!

As for the second point, the concern must be that Howard will get trippled teamed if Foyle is in the game; no opponent team would fear his post-up game. This means: Howard would be shut out of the post whenver Foyle would be in the game. Then, the guard pressure would be intense. And nobody trusts th 1/2 combo right now.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#27 » by CourtsideTV » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:32 pm

boston nachabar is a perfect example of this...he was playing like steve kerr in a sf's body.
Work Hard
El_Magico
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#28 » by El_Magico » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:28 pm

Why wont the opposing team just fold? It happens every night in the league. Not against the Magic. :nonono:
Kevin Durant tweeted:
"I wanna see Brian Scalabrine, Adonal Foyle, Fabricio Oberto and Zydrunas Ilgauskas in the dunk contest"
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,270

Post#29 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:33 pm

El_Magico wrote:Why wont the opposing team just fold? It happens every night in the league. Not against the Magic. :nonono:

I dont get it either, it hardly happens with us.
aka: prorl
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#30 » by magicmamma » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:26 pm

El_Magico wrote:Why wont the opposing team just fold? It happens every night in the league. Not against the Magic. :nonono:

Because they have hope. If they can keep getting within 10, they can keep the hope up for 3 1/2 quarters and then make a run like they did last night. I never felt our guys had the will to win last night, even with their biggest lead. If they had it, they would have put them away instead of allowing them to stay 8-12 points behind.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#31 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 7:30 am

drsd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I do not disagree with your first point. It is sad indeed when Howard averages 15 rpg, but the Magic are not dominating the glass!

As for the second point, the concern must be that Howard will get trippled teamed if Foyle is in the game; no opponent team would fear his post-up game. This means: Howard would be shut out of the post whenver Foyle would be in the game. Then, the guard pressure would be intense. And nobody trusts th 1/2 combo right now.

On the other hand, Foyle would be able to grab the offensive rebounds that hedo/Shard normally cannot get. There are pros and cons to both but it needs to be experimented with, or atleast with Dwight and Auggie. Even if Dwight gets 15 rebounds, there are usually around 85/90 rebound chances a game. He can't do it all and it takes alot of effort.

We need to try something, Foyle will be a plus on Defense and rebounding and a negative on offense, but it depends on the matchup.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 103

Post#32 » by otownflava21 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:37 am

hmmm.....rafer alston anyone?
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#33 » by Hairy Midget » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:33 am

Refs again and Rafer?

I just wish we could get back on the road where we get a fair shake from the refs.

Return to Orlando Magic