ImageImageImageImage

The ref issue

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#21 » by EasternMagic » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:06 pm

Note: i did not say anything in the nets board i was simply reading and stumbled upon this:

"Wow, we weren't supposed to win this game. With the refs practically giving the lead to Orlando in the first, we played like s*** and continued to play like s*** because of it. Too bad Orlando couldn't win what looked like a fixed game for them because we were down entering the fourth by 11. They let Jason Collins of all people go 5-5 and let Armstrong go crazy. We stole this one. With the cards played, we were supposed to lose. If this game had been called evenly, we should've blew them out.

We're fighting for our wins. I love it. We're not backing down from anything, even from lopsided officiating and grinding it out until the final buzzer."

lol is it even possible to think that the refs tried to "give" US that game?
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#22 » by Shishnizzle » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:08 pm

Anytime the Magic play a team with a former disgrunteled Magic employee. The officials must punish the Magic. Like we are the only team in the league that has actually had a bad break with a coach or player.

There was the phantom goal tending in this game as well. They called a goal tending and Howard never even touched the ball. They showed it on replay it was clear as day. The fact is they were terrible all around in this game, but we continually get the short end of the stick in our building. If Carter get's that call, then Hedo get's that call in our building.

Another thing is people from Florida don't move to New York, New Jersey, Detroit or Chicago, northeasterners move here and stay here because Florida is a better place to live. Why punsh Floridians because of dumbass Northeasterners were stupid enough to live up there. So they travel well and they have fans at our games, so what.

Over all I don't think the officals are out to get the Magic, but they certainley don't show us the same amount of respect they do for the "bigger markets". I will never get over the time when Paul Pierce threw Hedo out of bounds in that game in Orlando and they Celtics came back and won.
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#23 » by MagicalMan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:39 pm

just take back that 1 goal tend call that where Dwight clearly never touched the ball, and we win the game.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by Shishnizzle » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:08 pm

MagicalMan wrote:just take back that 1 goal tend call that where Dwight clearly never touched the ball, and we win the game.

You all most pass for a realgmer. Keep working on it you'll get there.
RonPaul4Magic
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#25 » by RonPaul4Magic » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:50 pm

I actually went to the game and had decent seats. That said, the officiating was horrible, even the casual fans could see some of the no calls. It was absolutely ridiculous! I would love to say I'm complaining because we lost but even when we were up they still were horrible. It was disgusting in all aspects.
MagicalMan
Analyst

Post#26 » by MagicalMan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:11 pm

NumeroUn0 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You all most pass for a realgmer. Keep working on it you'll get there.

26 post pads to go!
happypedro12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#27 » by happypedro12 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:44 pm

I don't care what anyone says, I totally believe all major sports are at least "guided" by an invisible whistle on the other end. Tim Donaghy proved that, you cannot tell me that NBA officiating isn't completely atrocious. We do not get the same calls that the lakers, or the Celtics, or the Jazz get. If we play someone like Charlotte or Milwaukee, I see us getting calls that we usually don't get, because the NBA has a vested interest in seeing orlando advance whereas they don't care about bobcats or bucks. Soon as we play a team that is "more popular" or has a longer history, we're done. lets do this, I'll put 2 teams up and you tell me who is going to get more calls:

Lakers vs. Bobcats --- In LA or Charlotte, either way, kobe will never travel (or make offensive fouls) in this game

Celtics vs. Timberwolves --- Celtics are storied and are back on top, plus the revenge game against the T'Wolves, do you honestly think there will be any charges called against KG? How about a offensive three second on the Wolves when you see green camped in the lane for hours

Spurs vs. Suns --- perfect story line; upcoming fast break team against championship slow down squad with most prolific big man on their side. Fight breaks out early in one game (fransisco elson and amare), Tim Duncan steps onto the court (two feet mind you) and yells at Amare. No call, no one even remembers it. Yet 2 games later Robert Horry obviously flagrant fouls Nash and then 2 suns players get ejected. What better way to make the spurs who already have the 'evil empire' type persona be that much more hated than to eject two opposing players and leave a third bloody and broken.

Don't care what you say, Pro sports (and especially NBA) is fixed on some level. There are no calls, make-up calls, superstar calls, and vendetta calls. There are probably about 7-9 teams in the NBA that could claim the refs have vendetta's against them, and Orlando is one of those teams
Whether you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T, you're right.
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#28 » by Potterman » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:03 pm

For you die hard fans that actually watch the game on TV. Did anybody else get ticked off when David (or Matt) said that the refs have not done a good job of taking control of the game?

That quote taken out of context or not is a very disturbing thing to say due to the nature of what it can imply.
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#29 » by Hairy Midget » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:17 pm

Even when we were up 14 points, I was saying to my Dad that the horrible reffing is costing points now, and I bet that it came back to bite us in the ass.

Then with the way the refs **** up the end of the first half, I told him that the refs gave momentum to the Nets when they were about to fall apart.

And it happened.
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#30 » by flyingvee » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:35 pm

Biased refs is nothing new. And I'm still convinced the last ref scandal we had was just the tip of the iceberg as far as corruption is concerned. And the source of the corruption would be the NBA office of Stern himself. The guy is pretty much a white collar mobster. If you piece together footage over the years of obvious calls refs have blown with the play in front of their face you have evidence that has to be answered to. Even Ralph Nader at some point wrote and requested that Stern investigate the ref situation. I think that wa sover the series the refs handed to the Lakers over the Kings. The one where Kobe elbowed Bibby in the face in front of the ref drawing blood and no call. Or the majority of the Bulls championships all marred by bad calls or non-calls. Now either Sterns told those refs to be biased toward Jordan and the Bulls or the mob did. 93 playoffs, Starks and Jordan, Starks fouls Jordan, Jordan swipes at Starks and Starks get the T. A few seconds later Jordan lunges at Starks and Starks is tossed. Game 6, Charles SMith is mugged under the basket, on one frame you have Pippens armpit wrapped over his head, no call. Jordan with his push-off. THe Lakers and Shaq, Shaq running people over, obvious offensive fouls not called. It's very obvious calls are blown.

The question is, if such bad calls are being made that affect the outcome of a championship series, then why doesn't the NBA say anything about it or do anything? Why the blind eye? THe only obvious reason is that it's under Sterns command. Come playoff time, watch the games, and watch the teams not called the Lakers or Celtics get all the bad calls. The NBA is already pre-hyping a Celtics-Lakers finals rematches like those of the 80's.

So are the refs making bad calls? Yes. Would they purposely have a vendetta on Orlando? Again, I don't see why the refs personally would, but the league? I've never trusted Stern is all I will say.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#31 » by craig01 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:54 pm

While I do think that officials apply different standards towards some players and locations, I do not think that there is a league orchestrated bias.

It seems that way at times, but it would be suicide if the league was to ever be found guilty of manipulating it's results. Just the stupidity of it alone makes it inconceivable as an action. I'm not saying the thought is not impossible though.

Some players do get advantages though....no question about it.

Much of it comes down the how subjective this sport is to officiate.

Nearly every call can be prone to scrutiny, in which case somebody always thinks they are getting the shaft.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant

Post#32 » by Shishnizzle » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:02 am

The league took that championship away from Dallas and gave it the Heat. All those free throws for Wade was out of control.
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#33 » by flyingvee » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:32 pm

Craig, thats the whole point here. It will never be found out because who is going to scrutinize the league. It's definately not going to come from Stern as he's the ringleader. Ralph Nader is no slouch and he had asked for an investigation and Stern just laughed it off. I bet one day a bunch of retired refs will come out and say they were on orders to favor teams. The favoritisn Jordans Bulls and Shaqs Lakers got were way beyond obvious.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#34 » by craig01 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 10:35 pm

Vee, still, a league directive given to officials to orchestrate team positioning is a reach.

That being said, officiating is retaliatory and inconsistent.

That point I fervently concede.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 103

Post#35 » by otownflava21 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:37 am

REFS BLOW IT AGAIN!!!
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#36 » by MagicMadness » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:38 am

It's a conspiracy. For whatever reason, the NBA chose the Magic out of the 30 teams in the league to screw over and make fans mad.

Sike. The refs suck OVERALL, not just for the Magic.
otownflava21
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by otownflava21 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:44 am

MagicMadness wrote:It's a conspiracy. For whatever reason, the NBA chose the Magic out of the 30 teams in the league to screw over and make fans mad.

Sike. The refs suck OVERALL, not just for the Magic.

refs suck overall, but even MORE for the Magic.
garcia3
Starter

Post#38 » by garcia3 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:45 am

Damns, i'm a Laker fan and even I can see the conspiracy the refs have against you guys.

Oh and tonight?? the refs should get a fine for that major screw up they did tonight, they don't get payed to do such a lame job, they couldn't even get it right with the replay.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#39 » by MagicMadness » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:45 am

otownflava21 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

refs suck overall, but even MORE for the Magic.

Doubtful. Go look at game threads all over RealGM, especially when a team loses. 9 out of 10 times it's "because of the refs".
otownflava21
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by otownflava21 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:08 am

garcia3 wrote:Damns, i'm a Laker fan and even I can see the conspiracy the refs have against you guys.

Oh and tonight?? the refs should get a fine for that major screw up they did tonight, they don't get payed to do such a lame job, they couldn't even get it right with the replay.

i know. i'm glad to see a non-magic fan agree to furthermore prove its not just fan blindness.

Return to Orlando Magic