ImageImageImageImage

Orlando Versus Houston 1/4/08

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,780

Post#541 » by FFBlitzace » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:04 am

If the refs didn't feel confident one way or the other, they have to call it good and decide the game in OT. Deciding the game by playing > deciding the game by a guess. There's really no consideration to be done there.

No matter how you spin it, this was a major f*** up by the refs and the NBA.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#542 » by what would jack bauer do? » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:06 am

heh just watched three different slow motion replays in slow motion (yep double the slow) on my dvr, the ball was still touching two of his fingers. Tough call to make, but they got it right.
MagicFan3
Banned User
And1: 19

Post#543 » by MagicFan3 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:07 am

FFBlitzace wrote:If the refs didn't feel confident one way or the other, they have to call it good and decide the game in OT. Deciding the game by playing > deciding the game by a guess. There's really no consideration to be done there.

Exactly my point. It wasn't good, but it took me about 10 times of watching the replay to figure it out. All the refs did was look at a freeze-frame picture and then made the call. If anything, maybe they should have stuck around to see it on the jumbotron with a higher quality look at it.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#544 » by theTHIEF » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:10 am

the one from behind the glass IMO shows them off...its the best angle because there are no shadows...i dont know what all you "super slow mo HD dvr CSI reviewed DNA analysis's super magnified optically buffered" guys are talking about...there is no way you are seeing anything CLEARLY sorry...

im rocking 1080p with an HD Tivo on a 50inch screen and a 62, im not seeing NOTHING clearly...and i got 20/18 vision...
hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#545 » by hayden » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:20 am

FFBlitzace wrote:If the refs didn't feel confident one way or the other, they have to call it good and decide the game in OT. Deciding the game by playing > deciding the game by a guess. There's really no consideration to be done there.

Actually, aside from whether the shot should have counted or not, I think your reasoning that if it really was inconclusive it should have counted for the Magic since it would just have gone to OT is pretty faulty... because you make it seem like it would have been more fair that way, but really in that scenario, the Magic would be the sole benefactor. If that makes sense.

It would be like me arguing that if the last call was inconclusive then the shot should be waived because the Magic had a chance already to tie it with their first attempt.

Other than that, I think the shot was legitimate from the two angles I saw on FSN. I haven't seen the other two that people are talking about.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#546 » by FFBlitzace » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:23 am

Well sure it's going to sound faulty. That's because a guess IS faulty.

But if you're going to guess, you can't end the game because of it. That would be even more faulty.

taruky1
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#547 » by taruky1 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:30 am

Much as I hate to admit it, I realize my initial impression was wrong. I was watching the game initially on NBA league pass broadband (I was out of the house) and it looked good to me. However, just watched it on my TiVo at home, and I'm pretty sure Foyle was still touching the ball when the clock hit 0. Shame, because literally 0.1 seconds would have made it good. I mean if the timekeeper started the clock 0.1 seconds later on the inbound pass... :banghead:
whocares
Senior
And1: 1

Post#548 » by whocares » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:57 am

1. change of tone.
2. a few good things in this game.
3. the defense is really picking up.
4. the first and the fourth quarters were really good in terms of defense.
5. the first quarter, the rockets scored too much because they were making contested lucky shots.
6. stan finally realized that it was unfair to ask hedo pull every close game.
7. after all, hedo is no kobe.
8. all the players tried to do something; they were involved in the game.
9. unfortunately for the magic, dooling and howard were not very sharp.
10. nelson is still tentative but coming off the bench and getting his confidence back against second tier competition is really working.
11. the players should not and cannot worry about close games too much.
12. it will be strange to say this, but the magic are looking more promising now than they did a few weeks ago.
13. one last thing: dwight is slumping a little.
14. one big negative in his game is if he cannot out-physique his guy, he just gives up instead of finding other (cunning) ways.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
whocares
Senior

Post#549 » by whocares » Sat Jan 5, 2008 8:11 am

1. on the last rockets play, how in the world you let a guy drive by you when you have three (3) more fouls to give is beyond imagination.
2. yao is about to pick you; just grab the guy.
3. then you rinse, repeat for two more picks.
4. terrible defensive collapse.
5. utter brain freeze.
6. that is on stan and dooling.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#550 » by FFBlitzace » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:05 am

3 more fouls? Only 1 foul to give in the final 2 minutes regardless (unless you're already over, in which case they'd be shooting anyway). We had already been called for a foul on Yao. It would have sent Rafer to the line.

But it was still a defensive collapse.

hayden
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#551 » by hayden » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:07 am

FFBlitzace wrote:Well sure it's going to sound faulty. That's because a guess IS faulty.

But if you're going to guess, you can't end the game because of it. That would be even more faulty.

Well, I guess you didn't understand the point I was making.
LarsV8 wrote:[Jeremy Lin] just isn't very good.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#552 » by FFBlitzace » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:17 am

Well, there's going to be a sole benefactor either way. Calling it no good on the guess has the Rockets as Sole Benefactor. I guess I don't understand if you're trying to tell me there's surefire logic here that would make it fair. The only thing resembling fair on a judgement call, which is what we're assuming it was for the sake of this argument, is letting OT decide it. There's really no arguing that. You can't end the game on a guess like that.

whocares
Senior

Post#553 » by whocares » Sat Jan 5, 2008 9:47 am

FFBlitzace wrote:3 more fouls? Only 1 foul to give in the final 2 minutes regardless (unless you're already over, in which case they'd be shooting anyway). We had already been called for a foul on Yao. It would have sent Rafer to the line.

But it was still a defensive collapse.

1. good catch!
2. that is precisely what the rule says.
3. take that intentional foul suggestion back, then.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#554 » by lovehoops01 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:33 am

That was a tough call. I was at the game, and I thought he tipped it in time, but the whole circumstance with the refs was shady. (I really would like to investigate to see if the Magic ever have won a game that Sean Corbin has officiated.)

It sucks because they deserved the chance to get to overtime. But also, they were in that position because they had to scramble to come back because they played portions of that game like the Keystone Cops. I mean, I don't know how many layups and 10-foot bunnies they missed. They played hard for the most part -- but kind of like they left their brains at home on some plays.

Whatever, I hope that when the Magic do reach Ronnie Nunn and Stu Jackson, that they take the opportunity to show them videotape of the game before that, too, and maybe a couple others to show them how often the Magic are getting the short end of the stick from the officials so maybe by the time they get back from the upcoming road trip that they can get some games officiated fairly. Tonight, the officiating in that game was horrible -- for the Rockets as well as the Magic. I thought a couple of the calls that went against Dwight were ridiculously ticky tack as if they just were trying to get him out of the game. What killed the Magic tonight, though, was second-chance points. And really, they have been killing the Magic for a while.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#555 » by lovehoops01 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:44 am

Orium wrote:For everyone saying ESPN is backing us.. so wrong. On SC they said "it appears they probably got it right, but it could have gone either way". So ya, they abandoned ship on that one.

Maybe instead of answering Stan's call, Ronnie Nunn and Stu Jackson called ESPN.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#556 » by lovehoops01 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 11:56 am

Fan from day 1 wrote:it wont matter in the end. we'll get the 3 seed and lose in round 2. canr get too worked up for these mid-season games i guess

If they continue to lose home games at the rate they have for the past 5 weeks, they won't make the playoffs.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#557 » by lovehoops01 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:31 pm

The Letter J wrote:Wish we had one player on our team that would take a charge. Players get wide open cuts to the basket against us.

They try. Almost always they get hit with a block call.
jonskilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#558 » by jonskilly » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:31 pm

When I was watching the game, I didn't see the ref say it was good or bad before they reviewed it. Therefore, if there was "inconclusive" evidence... how can you call it no good? Makes no sense...
Shaheen
Suspended

CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#559 » by CourtsideTV » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:45 pm

they keep showing it on cnn sports...the reaction of the 2 media womens' faces is priceless..they are like wth???
Work Hard
rockybalboa11
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#560 » by rockybalboa11 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 3:29 pm

Orium wrote:Yao's charge wasn't even as bad as its being made out to be. Wrong call? Obviously. But I can see what the ref was thinking. Yao was moving in the paint, peeked over his shoulder, and then moved in front of Dwight intentionally. It looked like Yao stuck his ass out a little bit to give Dwight an extra bump. Unnecessary contact on Yao's part. Should have been a no-call, but oh well.

LOL

the problem with this is, i honestly do believe this is how the refs think

"yao pushed his ass out. and he peaked over his shoulder."

"oh, dwight howard ran full force into his back while he was standing still? so what? YAO'S ASS WAS IN THE WAY!"

lmao
GOAT_Marbury wrote:Nelly, Fonzworth Bentley and Urkel had a sex party.... D Wade was the result

Return to Orlando Magic