ImageImageImageImage

OT: K Smith changes mind, decides to go pro

Moderators: UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass

JTSUCF
Junior
And1: 2

OT: K Smith changes mind, decides to go pro 

Post#1 » by JTSUCF » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:53 am

Just saw it on the ESPN website. I am sure I will have to talk my friend off of the ledge after seeing this. Definitely a big blow to the program in terms of exposure for next year. I hope that he gets drafted on the first day. I would hate to see him get the Darius Walker treatment and get drafted late or not at all. I am not sure what changed from December 18th to now.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,446

Post#2 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:54 am

he's a borderline 1st rounder, let alone first day.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: OT: K Smith changes mind, decides to go pro 

Post#3 » by craig01 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:58 am

JTSUCF wrote:Just saw it on the ESPN website. I am sure I will have to talk my friend off of the ledge after seeing this. Definitely a big blow to the program in terms of exposure for next year. I hope that he gets drafted on the first day. I would hate to see him get the Darius Walker treatment and get drafted late or not at all. I am not sure what changed from December 18th to now.

400 carries.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#4 » by lovehoops01 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:01 am

I was afraid of this after watching the news conference after the Liberty Bowl. He seemed very upset.

But after so many running backs decided to declare for the draft, I thought he maybe had made a good decision. It's a tough call. He definitely risked getting injured next season with O'Leary running him 40 times a game, but there also is no guarantee he'll have a long pro career. The NFL is such a difficult league, and running backs, when they are lucky, often have one or two good years -- and then that's it. I guess he always can go back to school, though.

I wish him good luck and thank him for a very enjoyable couple seasons.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#5 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:25 am

lovehoops01 wrote:I was afraid of this after watching the news conference after the Liberty Bowl. He seemed very upset.

But after so many running backs decided to declare for the draft, I thought he maybe had made a good decision. It's a tough call. He definitely risked getting injured next season with O'Leary running him 40 times a game, but there also is no guarantee he'll have a long pro career. The NFL is such a difficult league, and running backs, when they are lucky, often have one or two good years -- and then that's it. I guess he always can go back to school, though.

I wish him good luck and thank him for a very enjoyable couple seasons.

You ought to participate in the UCF thread if your a fan, I never see you there?
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,334

Post#6 » by MagicMadness » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:26 am

pwned.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#7 » by EasternMagic » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:35 am

crap
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#8 » by lovehoops01 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:40 am

n0tforyou wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You ought to participate in the UCF thread if your a fan, I never see you there?

Yeah, I guess I just get caught up in the Magic stuff here. I've been a UCF season-ticket holder for a long time. I used to be a basketball season-ticket holder, too, but there was one season when the games were almost all on the same nights as Magic games. And it is difficult to get to basketball games almost every night even when they're not.
Dunkin On Ya
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#9 » by Dunkin On Ya » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:47 am

Probably the best thing for him. I wish him the best. It was fun watching him.
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#10 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:56 am

MagicMadness wrote:pwned.

Thats right.

Anyone want to place bets on whether UCF even has a winning record next year despite being in a terrible conference?

That's right, they're that bad without Smith that I can contemplate a middle of the pack CUSA team out of them...golly gosh.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#11 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:00 am

Our Freshmen RBs can pick up the slack, but don't sleep on Phillip Smith and especially Curtis Francis, that can be a good duo if the Freshmen don't pan out this summer.

24K had that insurance policy and he would have been up for all those awards and a higher draft pick next season. :( Hope my Eagles draft him.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#12 » by lovehoops01 » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:09 am

AdamTheGreek wrote:Our Freshmen RBs can pick up the slack, but don't sleep on Phillip Smith and especially Curtis Francis, that can be a good duo if the Freshmen don't pan out this summer.

24K had that insurance policy and he would have been up for all those awards and a higher draft pick next season. :( Hope my Eagles draft him.

I'm pretty sure that Curtis Francis was a senior.

Phillip Smith definitely is talented, but he needs to learn to hold on to the ball. Hope they can find another big, bruising back, too.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM

Post#13 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:12 am

Damn, my bad Curtis is a senior. :(
Phillip did a damn good job in the 2nd half of the season of running better and holding onto the ball.

Our Freshmen recruits each have different running styles so we'll be good there.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#14 » by OrlandoMagic » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:22 am

dont blame him one bit, until UCF gets another awesome QB which they have not had since Culpepper UCF is going no where. I dont care about any recruit class until I hear a good QB has signed with us.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,446

Post#15 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:42 am

You should check out the highlights and videos of Rob Calabrese, UCF's 3-star QB recruit out of Long Island. Broke a ton of Boomer Esiason's records, and led his team to an undefeated season. Plays a lot like Tebow, and if he played in a tougher area he'd most likely be a 4-star.
DontPushMe
Bench Warmer
And1: 21

Post#16 » by DontPushMe » Mon Jan 7, 2008 5:49 am

Anyone interested in some type of a wager as to who goes higher? Kevin Smith vs Mike Jenkins? ;)
You know the boy posts on realgm. The boy definitly posts on realgm.
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#17 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:21 pm

DontPushMe wrote:Anyone interested in some type of a wager as to who goes higher? Kevin Smith vs Mike Jenkins? ;)

I'll take that.

Jenkins goes at least 10 spots higher than Smith. :nod:
LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#18 » by LiteHedded » Mon Jan 7, 2008 1:59 pm

n0tforyou wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Thats right.

Anyone want to place bets on whether UCF even has a winning record next year despite being in a terrible conference?

That's right, they're that bad without Smith that I can contemplate a middle of the pack CUSA team out of them...golly gosh.

I think this team is deep enough to compete in CUSA
i hope greco can get it going.
LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#19 » by LiteHedded » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:00 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:dont blame him one bit, until UCF gets another awesome QB which they have not had since Culpepper UCF is going no where. I dont care about any recruit class until I hear a good QB has signed with us.

calabrese dude
:)
AdamTheGreek
RealGM

Post#20 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Jan 7, 2008 4:02 pm

DontPushMe wrote:Anyone interested in some type of a wager as to who goes higher? Kevin Smith vs Mike Jenkins? ;)

Who? :rofl:

Return to Orlando Magic