ImageImageImageImage

OT: Non-UCF College Football

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

OT: Non-UCF College Football 

Post#1 » by Gerhalt11 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:59 pm

Anyone see Ohio State get lit up by USC? I don't know what it is about the Buckeyes, as soon as they set foot out of their conference against a decent opponent, they just fall apart. Florida destroyed them two years ago, LSU destroyed them last year, USC destroyed them this year. It's one thing to lose to all three, they're all major programs. But to lose so badly? It's like they're I-AA or something.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: OT: Non-UCF College Football 

Post#2 » by craig01 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:52 pm

It's because they lack team speed......(not WR and RB speed, but OL/DL/LB/DB speed).

They are very good, and are capable of knocking off another elite team, but if OSU was in the SEC, I do think they'd suffer 2 to 3 conference losses at minimum.

I think OSU would win the ACC, Big East, and Big Ten. They would not win the SEC, Pac-10, or Big 12.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,027

Post#3 » by drsd » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:52 pm

1) I am quite please with how "MY" Badgers performed last weekend. A solid road win for Wisconsin against a ranked team in Fresno St.

2) BYU 59 / UCLA 0. Hmm. The Cougars had a 35 point quarter against a Pac-10 team. WOW!

3) Auburn 3 / Mississippi St. 2 LOL!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by craig01 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:55 pm

BYU may be better than 10 of the 11 teams in the Big 10.....maybe all of the Big East, and at least 10 of 12 in the ACC.

drsd
RealGM

Post#5 » by drsd » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:59 pm

craig01 wrote:I think OSU would win the ... Big Ten.

My Badgers test this on October 4th, and then the Penn St. Lions test this @ October 25th. Against Cupcake Uni.'s, Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa, and Indiana are all still undefeated as well. I would not favor OSU to win the Big Ten this year.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#6 » by Gerhalt11 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:47 pm

craig01 wrote:BYU may be better than 10 of the 11 teams in the Big 10.....maybe all of the Big East, and at least 10 of 12 in the ACC.

Is there any movement to get them out of the MWC? I agree, they could do some damage in a BCS conference.
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#7 » by magicfanatic23 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:47 pm

Ohio State is a joke and they have been overrated for years now. They just don't have speed to match up with SEC teams and teams like USC.

My Florida Gators are gonna win the national title this year don't worry. Florida over USC in the championship game
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#8 » by EasternMagic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:18 pm

Ohio St. is the single team that no matter what, when they start the season they will be ranked high. It's stupid and i dont know why but they are just not that good haven't been in the past and still aren't... I enjoyed watching the Gators prove it, I enjoyed watching LSU prove it, and I enjoyed watching the Trojans prove it. Notre Dame could probably beat them right now. Shoot ECU could probably beat them right now
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by craig01 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:56 pm

I don't think that OSU is a joke. I do think they are around a top 10 team talent wise. I do NOT believe that they are a top 5 team talent wise. Nor have they been for years. A weak conference can artificially elevate rankings for a long time though.

There is a big difference between a top 5 talent team and a top 10 talent team.

This years' top 5 talent teams are (in no particular order): USC, UF, LSU, OKla, UGA. The SEC teams are not as complete as Okla or USC....... Texas, Missouri, Auburn, OSU all might have top 10 talent.

Every conference cycles through soft times (the big 4....not the ACC or Big East, they will always be soft), and this year the Big Ten isn't any softer than they've been for the last 30 years, it's just that now, the one or two perennial contenders (OSU, Michigan) happens to be weak as well.

Who stays where at the end will be the interesting part.

drsd
RealGM

Post#10 » by drsd » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:40 pm

craig01 wrote:Who stays where at the end will be the interesting part.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by craig01 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:50 pm

drsd wrote:
craig01 wrote:Who stays where at the end will be the interesting part.

LOL.

Maybe, the big 10 may be up for grabs.

N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#12 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:56 pm

This thread is Kaz's worst nightmare.

Some of us non-UCF fans will be very happy if this catches on though.

Now that this comment is overwith...
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#13 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:00 pm

craig01 wrote:It's because they lack team speed......(not WR and RB speed, but OL/DL/LB/DB speed).

They are very good, and are capable of knocking off another elite team, but if OSU was in the SEC, I do think they'd suffer 2 to 3 conference losses at minimum.

I think OSU would win the ACC, Big East, and Big Ten. They would not win the SEC, Pac-10, or Big 12.

I wouldn't include the Pac-10 in your love fest.

Outside of USC, who is amazing here? Arizona who just lost and dropped out of the top 25? Or, Oregon that needed double OT to defeat unranked Perdue? USC and Oregon are the only teams in the conference that remain undefeated.

The Big-12 could feasibly be the best football conference in the country right now. Between Missouri, Kansas, Texas, and Texas Tech they are very scary. Right now it looks like UGA or UF will be winning the SEC. Auburn, Alabama, LSU are all grossly overrated.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#14 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:04 pm

drsd wrote:1) I am quite please with how "MY" Badgers performed last weekend. A solid road win for Wisconsin against a ranked team in Fresno St.

Wisconsin is again vastly overrated and will probably fall flat on their faces again. They always start out great and fade down. They did not have a "solid road win" against Fresno, if they're as good as many are making them out to be, they should've won by a much better margin.

BYU 59 / UCLA 0. Hmm. The Cougars had a 35 point quarter against a Pac-10 team.

That was amazing, but UCLA sucks. Who cares that they're Pac-10.

Auburn 3 / Mississippi St. 2 LOL!

I love Auburn, they're one of my favorite schools. But, this year they're overrated as well. Mainly, because their offense has terrible deficiencies it won't be able to cover up in conference play.
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#15 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:06 pm

magicfanatic23 wrote:Ohio State is a joke and they have been overrated for years now. They just don't have speed to match up with SEC teams and teams like USC.

My Florida Gators are gonna win the national title this year don't worry. Florida over USC in the championship game

The Gators winning the national title? Being a USF fan, I naturally hate the Gators...but, I just don't see it happening right now. FYI - ESPN is projecting us to meet eachother in the Sugar Bowl. That's not a proposition I want to face really, lmfao. I'd rather play the ACC champion than UF if we happen to BCS bowl. There's no doubt in my mind that UF would beat USF right now. USF could beat FSU/WF though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowlproje ... eason=2008

BTW - The other bowl UF is projected to go to? The Capital One bowl again...versus Ohio State...no way that happens. One of those teams are BCS bowling.

And, I realize there's little merit to the ESPN bowl projections at the end of week 3, but it's fun to talk about.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,075

Post#16 » by UCF » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:13 pm

N4U|Redux wrote:This thread is Kaz's worst nightmare.

Some of us non-UCF fans will be very happy if this catches on though.

Now that this comment is overwith...

Actually it's the opposite... keep the bull***t here ;)

Go Knights!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by craig01 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:34 pm

It was a stinky weekend for the Pac-10 no doubt. Cal got screwed by a 12 pm kick off against MD, and Arizona St got caught off guard in a disastrous game against UNLV. Cal, ASU, Oregon St are middle of the road teams. UCLA is a one sided team, although last week neither side bothered to show.

USC and Oregon are elite.....OU may be the most under rated team in the NCAA talent wise.

LSU would not be overrated had Perrilloux not been kicked off the team. The talent on both sides there is completely top 5 worthy, but the QB situation may cost them probably 3 games if not more this year. Alabama isn't ready, although JPW might step up at QB big time. Auburn's offense is in disarray for now.

Each SEC west team might have 3 conference L's.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#18 » by craig01 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:35 pm

BTW- I think this thread should be stickied. JMO.

magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#19 » by magicfanatic23 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:42 pm

I like this thread. A lot of us are not originally from Orlando or live here so it is interesting to talk about college football around the country rather than just talk about UCF imo. There is only so much u can say about them lol.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#20 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:54 pm

craig01 wrote:USC and Oregon are elite.....OU may be the most under rated team in the NCAA talent wise.

I agree that Oregon may end up being underrated. But right now being ranked #17/#12 is not "underrated" by any measure. With Dixon and Stewart gone they are not as forceful as they used to be but around top 20 is about right. Is that good enough to be the #2 team of an elite conference though? The SEC and Big 12 both have a 4 or 5 teams that are top 20 caliber ( I forgot Oklahoma in my list of greats from the Big 12), the Pac-10 has 2.

Right now there's a lot of gluts in the value of the conferences, here are the teams I think could BCS bowl from each conference:

1st tier:
SEC: UGA, UF, LSU, AU
Big-12: OU, Mizzou, Texas, Texas Tech, KU

2nd tier:
Pac-10: USC, Oregon
Big-10: OSU, PSU

3rd tier:
Big East: USF, WVU
ACC: WF, Clemson

Return to Orlando Magic