ImageImageImageImage

Breaking News:Magic Turn Down JR Giddens, Gabe Pruitt for JJ

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

stick
RealGM
And1: 68

Re: Breaking News:Magic Turn Down JR Giddens, Gabe Pruitt for JJ 

Post#41 » by stick » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:24 pm

In that case, maybe we won't have to give him an extraordinarily large contract.

Because someone else will; hence us losing him for nothing...
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#42 » by NEM » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Good job Otis! JJ is way more valuable than those two nobodies. LMAO @ Ainge :rofl2:

yeah i think ainge thought that since mchale gave him kg and presti gave him allen, that otis would give him jj... doesnt work like that homes... not everyone is your friend

see grizzlies and miles and blazers
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 957

Post#43 » by Devin 1L » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 pm

stick wrote:

In that case, maybe we won't have to give him an extraordinarily large contract.

Because someone else will; hence us losing him for nothing...

But we don't know that. You're implying as if it's a forgone conclusion.

If he isn't worth an extraordinarily large contract, what makes you so certain that someone will give him one? Especially with a large number of teams supposedly conserving for 2010.

We're playing great; We've got the 2nd best record in the league, and we're one game behind having the best record in the entire league. We've got a team with great chemistry, and Hedo is an integral part of this team.

To me, that's plenty reason not to trade him. Frankly, I wouldn't want to risk ruining what we have going for us right now, just because someone might offer him an extraordinarily large contract this off-season.
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#44 » by Idunkonyou2 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:22 pm

Devin 1L wrote:In that case, maybe we won't have to give him an extraordinarily large contract.

If the Magic could get a good starting PF for Hedo, while also shipping Hedo out west so we don't have to face him 4 times a year, then I would do it in a heart beat. We now have enough slashers, playmakers on the team to trade Hedo if need be.

Of course there is no way in hell Otis disrupts the Magic starting lineup considering the way they are playing.

Personally I think the Magic will resign Hedo and Gortat this offseason. They will let Bogans walk and try to move Cook's/Johnson's expiring contracts to gain cap space so they can use the MLE and VE. They will also have a 1st round pick coming in and I have a feeling Otis will draft the best PG available to groom behind Nelson.

Also Hedo will be asking for pretty much what Jamison got IMO. A contract worth 10 million a year, but not as many years. He will most likely get a 4 year, 40 million dollar deal from us. Gortat will probably get a 3 year, 6 million dollar deal.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,562

Post#45 » by Bensational » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:41 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:Upon further analysis, JJ is clearly the best player in this deal. I'm glad Otis passed.

It would be nice to pick up a 6'3 or 6'4 young PG somewhere though

much the same way i run my fantasy basketball league... the waiver wire has many a diamond in the rough!
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#46 » by magicman123 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:33 am

im not saying jj is a baller, bust most celtics fan would never trade pruitt for jj alone, seriously who is this pruitt character
MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Post#47 » by MJallday59 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 pm

I thought Hedo said he'd take a paycut to stay around. :-?

Anyhoo, we can't trade Hedo now.

If it ain't broke...don't fix it
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,208

Post#48 » by spinedoc » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:18 pm

Bensational wrote:
much the same way i run my fantasy basketball league... the waiver wire has many a diamond in the rough!

That is definitely true, but no one in your league is picking up JJ are they? I just picked up Stuckey, couldn't believe it when I saw him sitting there. :D
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,014

Post#49 » by Last Guardian » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:27 pm

One must wonder why they wanted JJ and not Bogans, yet a lot of people here thought Bogans was the better player. Inconsistent shooting from lack of playing time didn't fool anybody, JJ is a lights out shooter and everyone knows it.

Now ship Bogans ass out of here for something useful.
Pancho_Pantera
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#50 » by Pancho_Pantera » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:05 pm

I'd keep JJ. You can tell that he has worked really hard. I mean, he's probably in the best shape of his life and it's noticeable in his physical built. I would keep him but at the same time, I would move him if that's what he desires because he deserves playing time and he's not going to get it here. I'm guessing he will play out his contract with us and then move on.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#51 » by CourtsideTV » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Pancho_Pantera wrote:I'd keep JJ. You can tell that he has worked really hard. I mean, he's probably in the best shape of his life and it's noticeable in his physical built. I would keep him but at the same time, I would move him if that's what he desires because he deserves playing time and he's not going to get it here. I'm guessing he will play out his contract with us and then move on.

we'll he's getting pt now.
Work Hard
DHoward4Mvp
Starter
And1: 0

Post#52 » by DHoward4Mvp » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Would you guys consider JJ a bust???
MagicBasketba11
Rookie

Post#53 » by MagicBasketba11 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:07 pm

^nub
Twitter: NickTheQuick224
DHoward4Mvp
Starter

Post#54 » by DHoward4Mvp » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:32 pm

MagicBasketba11 wrote:^nub

Isnt it spelled NOOB??
Answer the question.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,562

Post#55 » by eyriq » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:06 am

DHoward4Mvp wrote:
MagicBasketba11 wrote:^nub

Isnt it spelled NOOB??
Answer the question.

:rofl2:

That's a priceless exchange.

Anyway, yes, I think he is a bust. You draft Lottery players to start, not barely crack a rotation after repeated injuries to players ahead of him.
J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Post#56 » by J_Magic » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:19 am

JJ is officially not a scrub anymore. He's a great role player to have and fits our team perfectly. I love the production of both him and Courtney Lee. To think...Pieutrus has been injured so long. Even when he comes back...he can not let up because SVG will bench him when he knows what he has with Lee and JJ.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#57 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:51 pm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/b ... 7447.story

Magic GM Smith says Celtics have not asked about a trade for Redick

Magic GM Otis Smith said the reports coming out of Boston that the Celtics asked about acquiring SG J.J. Redick are not true.

"Nope," Smith said. "I haven't talked to Danny [Ainge, the Celtics' General Manager/President of Basketball Operations], so I don't know how that can be out there. I can't remember the last time I've talked to him."

Reports have said the Celtics offered the Magic F Bill Walker and G Gabe Pruitt for Redick, but that Orlando turned down the deal.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#58 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:08 pm

JJ is too valuable to our club right now anyways. He's the first guy off the bench.

Dude is flat out lightin it up right now too. I'm a Duke fan so I followed Redick alot in his college days and this is what I expected to see when we drafted him.
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#59 » by Dome » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:31 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-sportsmnotes14011409jan14,0,1967447.story

Magic GM Smith says Celtics have not asked about a trade for Redick

Magic GM Otis Smith said the reports coming out of Boston that the Celtics asked about acquiring SG J.J. Redick are not true.

"Nope," Smith said. "I haven't talked to Danny [Ainge, the Celtics' General Manager/President of Basketball Operations], so I don't know how that can be out there. I can't remember the last time I've talked to him."

Reports have said the Celtics offered the Magic F Bill Walker and G Gabe Pruitt for Redick, but that Orlando turned down the deal.

This either means the news report was bogus (wouldn't surprise me too much), or that this is a smokescreen.

It's definitely a possibility too that the Celtics blame Otis that the news somehow leaked out (that this leaked was in the Magic's favor; upgrades JJ's value) and that Otis is trying to make up for the mistake by denying the report, which saves the Celtics' face.

Either that, or Otis is just (maybe a little bit too?) damn honest. Generally you don't see a lot of GM's downgrading the interest in their own players too much though.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#60 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:42 pm

^ I personally think it is one of those situations where Celtics called Otis inquiring about Redick, but not Ainge specifically.

From there, Otis probably declined the offer or what not and it was all finished.

Then, Otis can say he never spoke to Ainge because....he spoke to a representative of the celtics Organization...that way, Otis is correct in what he said and report is still correct because the celtics were interested in Redick.

Maybe a little far fetched, but I've heard numerous times from insiders on ESPN/TNT that this is way some teams send out feelers and discuss trades while they can still deny they spoke to the GM of a team.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."

Return to Orlando Magic