ImageImageImageImage

Gortat's Interview (on SVG panicking, on contract issues)

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

lapassione
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: Gortat's Interview (on SVG panicking, on contract issues) 

Post#21 » by lapassione » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:38 pm

what is his offense anyway? lets draw a play for him? he doesnt have a jumper or moves to get to the rim like howard does. He is a good offensive rebounder, so unless he was left unguarded under the rim, there's very little opportunity to go to him for points.
he is very good fit for our system with backup minutes for howard. i doubt he can get starting role in many teams.
i like gortat and i hope he stays and continues doing what he has been doing all through this season.
but it appears like he has made his mind to go somewhere else to play more minutes
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#22 » by MagicMadness » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Wasn't there another article earlier where he stated he wanted bigger bucks and to be a starter (or get significant minutes)?

This article is somewhat surprising, considering the nature of his answers, but all in all, it's basically a harsher version of what he said earlier.

Shouldn't be talking bad about SVG though. Come on man.
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 492

Post#23 » by TheChaser » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:55 pm

Well I've also heard from Hoopsworld (mabye you like it, probably not), that he wants his agent to do whatever it takes to keep him here. It was brought up in one of Steve Kylers little chats.
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,298

Post#24 » by Jiwol » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:12 pm

Doubt it. He said that he's not gonna stay if he's offered 10 minutes per game for another season.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#25 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:25 pm

lapassione wrote:what is his offense anyway? lets draw a play for him? he doesnt have a jumper or moves to get to the rim like howard does. He is a good offensive rebounder, so unless he was left unguarded under the rim, there's very little opportunity to go to him for points.
he is very good fit for our system with backup minutes for howard. i doubt he can get starting role in many teams.
i like gortat and i hope he stays and continues doing what he has been doing all through this season.
but it appears like he has made his mind to go somewhere else to play more minutes

actually he does, we just don't see it often. I would say his jumper is = to Battie's or slightly better.
J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Post#26 » by J_Magic » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Look guys...don't fret over this interview.

European tabloids have a history of "misquoting" or manipulating the words around to make articles more entertaining.
Unless Gortat gives an English interview, then don't believe anything else. He's not that type of guy. He's seems a smart dude so he wouldn't make comments like this.

Also don't forget...we might be able to flog either Alston or Battie to get us some cap space for Gortat. Nelson will be back to Alson can be expendable to resign Gortat.

Aii...but I don't think Otis Smith has the guts to do that.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#27 » by Shishnizzle » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 pm

Alston should not be let go. Tony, MP, JJ but not Rafer.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,070

Post#28 » by SOUL » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Everytime I see these quotes hes more candid in Polish newspapers but then in English he sounds real happy to be here. So confused.
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by magicfanatic23 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:42 pm

I question how legit this report is.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,298

Post#30 » by Jiwol » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:42 pm

J_Magic wrote:Look guys...don't fret over this interview.

European tabloids have a history of "misquoting" or manipulating the words around to make articles more entertaining.

It's not taken from tabloid. Actually the interview was given to most recpectable polish daily.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rzeczpospolita_(newspaper)
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#31 » by NEM » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:46 pm

i can honestly see the magic breaking the bank for gortat and letting hedo walk. big men are much harder to come by
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by magicfanatic23 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:54 pm

RawLewD12 wrote:i can honestly see the magic breaking the bank for gortat and letting hedo walk. big men are much harder to come by

Depends on Hedo's production in the postseason. If he plays well and leads us at least to the ECF, I don't see how Otis will let him walk. We know Otis. He'll clear money and overpay Turk. I still think Turk is more important than Gortat. I love Gortat but I don't ever think he'll be a real key player for this team. With Dwight, we need a power forward who can hit a mid range jumper. Dwight doesn't need a good back up C and that's why I think Gortat is probably outta here anyways.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Post#33 » by TNMagicFan » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm very disappointed in Gortat's comments . Sounds like he has an inflated opinion of himself
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,576

Post#34 » by DiplomaticMagic » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Wow, I always wondered how our players really feel about Stan. There's no way we keep Gortat if this is true.
Trade for Trae
heavyjay
Junior

Post#35 » by heavyjay » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:21 pm

I'm just going to assume that this is either embelishment by the newspaper, or a lot of the meaning was changed in translation (ie 'warlock' instead of 'magic'), and we're taking it out of context.

However, if this is literally what he said, it would rank him as one of the dumbest (polish jokes aside) players in the NBA. NBA execs are very smart, and if true, and they got hold of this, it would definitely lower his future value. I certainly wouldn't want to tie up millions of dollars in someone that is this careless in how he conducts himself. Even someone like Allen Iverson or Ron Artest wouldn't say something this stupid to the press. Not to mention that, as a pro athlete and being in the public eye, part of your job is PR. It's just part of your business (like how Lebron markets himself). Again, saying something like this would he horrible for his career, PR-wise. I hope for his sake it gets clarified somehow in the near future.
My 2 favorite NBA teams:

1) Orlando Magic
2) Whoever is playing the Celtics
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,070

Post#36 » by SOUL » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:27 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Wow, I always wondered how our players really feel about Stan. There's no way we keep Gortat if this is true.

I know they aren't crazy about his screaming - other than that they respect him.
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 492

Post#37 » by TheChaser » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Soul wrote:
DiplomaticMagic wrote:Wow, I always wondered how our players really feel about Stan. There's no way we keep Gortat if this is true.

I know they aren't crazy about his screaming - other than that they respect him.

Soul, you're a smart cool cat. I agree. You ready to win tonight man?
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#38 » by EasternMagic » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:41 pm

If Gortat doesn't like Stan, he's gone... He's not Dwight Howard, management isn't going to fire the coach because of him..I'm a little skeptical about this article though... not saying it isn't real or legit, but journalist can cut things to make stuff have different meanings.. I think most our players like Stan.. I know Dwight does, if anyone here thinks Stan would still be here if Dwight was unhappy with him they need to get off the Kool-aid.

ALSO, it will be interesting to see what happens this offseason. Gortat is a promising YOUNG big, who already has a better outside shot than Dwight and many other bigs... He has A LOT of upside (as well as the possibility of moving shard to the 3, incorporating Pietrus and JJ in the offense more). Hedo is a great player to have on the team because he's clutch, he can handle the ball, and he's a versatile player, but he's most likely in/on his way out of his prime... It will be interesting to see what happens
J_Magic
Starter
And1: 166

Post#39 » by J_Magic » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Perhaps there is some Polish Magic supporters that can give an accurate translation instead then.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,556

Post#40 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Bad Apple Alert!

In all seriousness, I've been pissed that we don't run plays for the man too.

Return to Orlando Magic