ImageImageImageImage

Gortat's Interview (on SVG panicking, on contract issues)

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,031

Re: Gortat's Interview (on SVG panicking, on contract issues) 

Post#61 » by drsd » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:20 am

From today's O-Sen:
Marcin Gortat recently told a Polish newspaper that he agrees with O'Neal's assessment of Van Gundy's style.

"He panics very often during games," said Gortat, apparently unaware Polish can be translated and put on the Internet.

The next question was about the lack of plays designed for the Big Pole. "Unfortunately, that is still an issue," he said.

Geez, the guy has a couple of double-figure games and he thinks he's Kareem-Abdul Gortat.

O-Sen Link

This distraction is not welcomed come playoff time.

:(

Lue_4_MVP
Junior
And1: 0

Post#62 » by Lue_4_MVP » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 am

About Stan...perhaps something is lost in the translation between panic and losing his temper?

I think some of you need to consider this possibility perhaps before jumping on Gortat's back...
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,298

Post#63 » by Jiwol » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:48 am

OMFG, I started an avalanche... Denton and whomever wrote that piece for Sentinel should pay me like 3/4 of their earnings.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,536

Post#64 » by Furinkazan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:05 am

Jiwol wrote:OMFG, I started an avalanche... Denton and whomever wrote that piece for Sentinel should pay me like 3/4 of their earnings.

shame on you
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#65 » by magicfan4life05 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:47 am

Jiwol wrote:OMFG, I started an avalanche... Denton and whomever wrote that piece for Sentinel should pay me like 3/4 of their earnings.

haha I think these guys stole the translation of the quotes from here (your translation)...this is ridiculous !!
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#66 » by paperboymafia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:39 am

Jiwol wrote:
paperboymafia wrote:respectable daily paper or not, i still dont fully buy this, and it only circulates 150k - in the whole of poland that isnt much.

gortat has been a class act thus far, and to suddenly say all this, at playoff time, seems extremely out of line

Well. What can you say while you live in a country where tabloids sell millions of copies. You are suspicious of press because everything British people read is The Sun, Daily Mirror and other worthless pieces of crap, caring more about Big Brother participants rather then providing any inormation. Polish press doesn't have a history of making up stuff like British press do.

And if you read my previous translation of huge Gortat's article you'd know that he talks a lot on different topics while speaking in his own language. It's much easier for him to express exactly what he wants to say. For example he admitted that he likes to drive his car faster than 150 mph. Would you consider that good conduct and good PR move?

i can say a lot, because ive lived here for one year only - and im not british. I am Cypriot/German and grew up in Switzerland and lived there for 20+ years. i dont need a lecture on the british media and it was out of line to assume that just because i live here that i do not know anything about the press or media.

but hey, whatever, im not doubting your translation, im just doubting the foundation of his comments and how much they might have been stretched, thats all.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach

Post#67 » by Jiwol » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:45 pm

paperboymafia wrote:i can say a lot, because ive lived here for one year only - and im not british. I am Cypriot/German and grew up in Switzerland and lived there for 20+ years. i dont need a lecture on the british media and it was out of line to assume that just because i live here that i do not know anything about the press or media.

but hey, whatever, im not doubting your translation, im just doubting the foundation of his comments and how much they might have been stretched, thats all.

Ha, that's why I was stunned when I saw Bristol as your location. I thought it was "Switzerland" before. Good my memory doesn't play tricks on me. Sorry if you felt offended. I might exaggerate in my response.

And as for Gortat's comments - let's wait for his comments for US press on this one. I'm almost sure he will try to discredit a journalist who he spoke with.

~Snoopy~ wrote:shame on you

On me? I just translated his words. You can see for yourself (you're Polish too if I remember correctly) that the translation is at least decent. He just should've kept his mouth shot.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,536

Post#68 » by Furinkazan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:40 pm

Jiwol wrote:
paperboymafia wrote:i can say a lot, because ive lived here for one year only - and im not british. I am Cypriot/German and grew up in Switzerland and lived there for 20+ years. i dont need a lecture on the british media and it was out of line to assume that just because i live here that i do not know anything about the press or media.

Ha, that's why I was stunned when I saw Bristol as your location. I thought it was "Switzerland" before. Good my memory doesn't play tricks on me. Sorry if you felt offended. I might exaggerate in my response.

And as for Gortat's comments - let's wait for his comments for US press on this one. I'm almost sure he will try to discredit a journalist who he spoke with.

On me? I just translated his words. You can see for yourself (you're Polish too if I remember correctly) that the translation is at least decent. He just should've kept his mouth shot.

man I was just kidding...
and your translation is very well...

well
last few months judging from any interviews ive read Gortat seemed to be very cocky/over confident...almost like hes a freakin Kobe...
I remember few moths ago I was talking about it with my friends they didnt seem to agree(now they do) ...well anyhow thats just my opinnion...
And yea he should kept his mouth closed...
Also I remember that not some long ago ive read that management in orl is upset at him because he talks about his contract ( how much he wants )to polish newspapers....and as i recall he said hes in trouble because of it and he partly denied that he talked about money...dunno maybe they twisted some of his words...maybe.. who knows...
one for sure...
He just needs to learn how to speak to press...hes too honest xD
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by BassMaster » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:00 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:I call bull, I see no quotes in there. I don't care if that paper serves millions, a lot of European papers in all countries generate BS to sell papers. I say about half that interview is true and the rest is embellished.

Even if only half is true Gortat is history. He and his agent come across as dummy and dummer.
Not the way to push your demands for more money.
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#70 » by Orium » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:11 pm

The team doesn't need any unnecessary drama right now, why would the OSen decide to run with this?
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by BassMaster » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:13 pm

paperboymafia wrote:respectable daily paper or not, i still dont fully buy this, and it only circulates 150k - in the whole of poland that isnt much.

gortat has been a class act thus far, and to suddenly say all this, at playoff time, seems extremely out of line

BTW in the US 150 thousand is still a major newspaper since a lot of people have been going online instead of reading traditional paper. Plus one person from Poland already posted that this newspaper sells 400 thousand. Right now I think person from Poland knows better then someone from England. Just my opinion.
You can support Gortat all you want, but it doesn't surprise me that this has come out, because Gortat wants starting money for a player who will be ever be a backup with the Magic.
Gortat seems to be letting his agent run this and he is not helping Gortat at all.
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by BassMaster » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:19 pm

Orium wrote:The team doesn't need any unnecessary drama right now, why would the OSen decide to run with this?

Because if you read the first posts you would know that Gortat did an interview in Polish newspaper saying all of that about SVG.
Yes the team doesn't need this, but Gortat should have thought about that before he did this interview. What he thought that only Polish people read that paper? Gortat your showing your IQ and your agent of being at one of the lowest levels I have ever seen.
maginno
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#73 » by maginno » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:11 pm

Yep if the guy is that stupid in a contract year to make those comments he is too stupid to give any major money to. However I think something was lost in translation. he needs to clarify and fast. Maybe he had a few beers to many and then got punked for the interview.
paperboymafia
Analyst

Post#74 » by paperboymafia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Jiwol wrote:

lol im actually really impressed that someone would remember im from switzerland! cheers for that.

i was not offended at all, ;-) sorry if i responded a little to direct (its just the euro way i guess hahaha)

yeah lets wait and see, i hope to god its not totally true, or just exaggerated. we'll see. fingers crossed because i love what gortats potential could mean to this team.

paperboymafia
Analyst

Post#75 » by paperboymafia » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:07 pm

cougar13 wrote:

BTW in the US 150 thousand is still a major newspaper since a lot of people have been going online instead of reading traditional paper. Plus one person from Poland already posted that this newspaper sells 400 thousand. Right now I think person from Poland knows better then someone from England. Just my opinion.
You can support Gortat all you want, but it doesn't surprise me that this has come out, because Gortat wants starting money for a player who will be ever be a backup with the Magic.
Gortat seems to be letting his agent run this and he is not helping Gortat at all.

calm it cougar, i wasnt trying to start anything :-) its playoff time, im just trying to will team distractions away from whats at hand here. hah. and if u read earlier, im not british or from here, just a student!
Mallpha
Ballboy

Post#76 » by Mallpha » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:17 pm

To be honest i belive this is generaly miss judging Gortat first of all there are some minor things lost in translation like the first anwser i would ratehr say that it should be like:

"Actualy thats the nature of our cach, he does panic during games and it can be disturbing for us at times. His gesticulation can couse additional preasure"

If you are polish and read it you dont really pay attention to it unless you really are looking for something schocking. Whne i was first reading it in polish it really didnt leave any bad taste.

As for him "moanign" he isnt included in ofensive game i think reading just this "interview" alone makes very wrong impresion. He said many many times before his role in Orlando by no means is scoring points. This is hard here becouse it ratehr sounds like he is a bit disapointed in caoch distrust in his offensive game rather than moan that he doesnt enough tuches.

Third thign about contract, again he said obvious thing that signing him and Hedo will be very hard. He used word "certainly one of use will start season in new uniform" but i would see this more as a specualtion than a statement. He simply belives Hedo and he would cos Magic so much they wont decide to keep em both rathern than "im leaving".

Final thing is as much as this newspaper aint some crappy tabloid the jurnalist him self does twisting few words could make it sound bad add to that things lost in translation and you get somethign out of nothing.

As for my personal feeling i did read it before i checked forum and i just thougth he said what every one knows didnt pay any attention to it tbh and was suprised it got so much attention here.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach

Post#77 » by Jiwol » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:23 pm

Apparently SVG is not going to make a big deal out of it after all. I don't know where he found that (I just can't see it) but one polish journalists quotes SVG after Orlando Sentinel saying he has no issue with Gortat. Anyone can provide a link?
jck
Ballboy

Post#78 » by jck » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi , I am from Poland and I have just registered here to explain some things about this Marcin's interview.

In opposite to Jiwol I dont think that paper which published this short text about Gortat is reliable.
I mean it is reliable when it's about economy , but when it's about sport they are nothing but tabloid, so I wouldnt trust them in 100%.
Here is link to interview with Marcin which was published in more respected paper on Monday :
http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,65025,65148 ... odzie.html
come on Jiwol translate this , there are more interesting things than in previous 3 question-interview.

Let me translate just last question:
Q:O'Neal said lately that SVG is not a good coach and panic in last minutes of game.
MG: Shaq could have a bit right, everyone has drawbacks and Van Gundy is during the game nervous,
but i have to emphasize SVG is very experienced coach.

Earlier in this interview Marcin praised SVG , Gortat said that coach, Lewis , Hedo and Dwight are Key to chapmionship this Year.

2nd thing is that Dwight himself wrote similar note about SVG on his blog:
"Sometimes it’s motivating, but 90 percent of the time it does upset me. But he has a way of saying all of the right things. But when you are on the court, in the heat of battle, you don’t somebody getting on you. But that’s just the way it is with him. "
Ok, he used more diplomatic words but sense remained almost the same.

And one more thing. If it is right that text in Orlando Santiel was based on Jiwol's text here , you (Jiwol) should be more careful with things you translate. Because if your interwiev with MG is a big misrepresentation( I believe it is) , you could just make Marcin sit rest of the PO in bench and turn orlando fans against him.

So please dont judge Gortat too fast. He probably said a bit stupid words but not because he is cocky or something but because he is too honest and didnt think it may cause problems.

Sorry for all mistakes ;p
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,780

Post#79 » by FFBlitzace » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:21 pm

If this was a misunderstanding, then I'm sure we have nothing to worry about. Stan isn't just going to bench Gortat, and the Magic aren't just going to cut ties with him, without sitting down and discussing this issue.

If the quotes were inaccurate, they'll work it out, and everything will be fine. I think this has kind of been blown out of proportion right now, when we can't even be entirely sure of what he actually told them. No offense to Jiwol.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#80 » by magicmamma » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:13 am

This is interesting. Jiwol posted his translation of a Polish article here. Someone on the Orlando Magic Forum found the Polish article and requested a translation. The Rev Ty provided them with Jiwol's translation. Then ball junkie said that he "called a couple sportswriter friends of mine and forwarded the link to them...2 writer's that most around here have much respect for...needless to say they were verysurprised by what they read...they promised they would inquire about it after tonight's game." link

The next day quotations from Jiwol's translation were in newspapers, blogs, and on national TV. With no disrespect to Jiwol, I find it pathetic that all of these professional newspeople report as fact information received second and third hand from an unidentified member of a message board.

Return to Orlando Magic