ImageImageImageImage

Game 4: ORL @ PHI (1-2)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Re: Game 4: ORL @ PHI (1-2) 

Post#1281 » by G-Heel » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:46 pm

Rick Rolled wrote:I hope I'm not the only one who thought Lou Williams traveled when he kicked it back to Iggy for the three.....

That's what I thought. Oh well, we got the win, that's all it matters.
Fire Otis!
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#1282 » by MitchellUK » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:33 pm

Typhoon20 wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:
Dude it's not about hating, it's about the fact that in a tied game with secs on the clock, you look for the high-percentage play - you attack the basket, and if you can't get into the lane, you get as close as you damnwell can.

Let me tell you one thing about the Magic you don't know. The further we are from the basket, the better. We have a coach that has no gameplan besides D. We have players that aren't capable of making shots close to the basket in clutch times. What you wanted us to draw a plan to get the ball to D12 who probably would be getting fouled so he'd miss both his FT's or just turn the ball over for no reason ? You wanted Hedo to attack the basket and go for an easy lay-up he's going to miss or scream with his arms flying around and hope for the foul ? Or you'd like Skip to take a fadeaway J that's going not even going to touch the rim ? Or give it to the inexperienced Lee ? Oh yes or give it to Lewis who has been playing so great lately and oh so clutch.

I absolutely 100% don't get the b!tching about the shot selection, I just don't. I've witnessed A LOT of clutch plays and RARELY is there a gameplan. It's always a plan about getting your Clutch player a good shot, it's almost always a 1 on 1 play.

Thanks for telling me what I didn't know about the Magic. Now go to 82games.com and check out exactly who is clutch on this Magic roster. You may be surprised.
http://www.82games.com/0809/CSORT11.HTM

Secondly, you don't want Shard taking the shot because he has been garbage this series, but you don't mind going to Hedo, who has been just as, if not more, terrible than Lewis?

Thirdly, SVG has no gameplan besides D? He may not be one of the very best Xs and Os coaches offensively, but he's still pretty damn good. Good enough to work a system that has us 8th in the NBA in offensive efficiency for the year.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#1283 » by mhectorgato » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:06 pm

MitchellUK wrote:
Typhoon20 wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:
Dude it's not about hating, it's about the fact that in a tied game with secs on the clock, you look for the high-percentage play - you attack the basket, and if you can't get into the lane, you get as close as you damnwell can.

Let me tell you one thing about the Magic you don't know. The further we are from the basket, the better. We have a coach that has no gameplan besides D. We have players that aren't capable of making shots close to the basket in clutch times. What you wanted us to draw a plan to get the ball to D12 who probably would be getting fouled so he'd miss both his FT's or just turn the ball over for no reason ? You wanted Hedo to attack the basket and go for an easy lay-up he's going to miss or scream with his arms flying around and hope for the foul ? Or you'd like Skip to take a fadeaway J that's going not even going to touch the rim ? Or give it to the inexperienced Lee ? Oh yes or give it to Lewis who has been playing so great lately and oh so clutch.

I absolutely 100% don't get the b!tching about the shot selection, I just don't. I've witnessed A LOT of clutch plays and RARELY is there a gameplan. It's always a plan about getting your Clutch player a good shot, it's almost always a 1 on 1 play.

Thanks for telling me what I didn't know about the Magic. Now go to 82games.com and check out exactly who is clutch on this Magic roster. You may be surprised.
http://www.82games.com/0809/CSORT11.HTM

Secondly, you don't want Shard taking the shot because he has been garbage this series, but you don't mind going to Hedo, who has been just as, if not more, terrible than Lewis?

Thirdly, SVG has no gameplan besides D? He may not be one of the very best Xs and Os coaches offensively, but he's still pretty damn good. Good enough to work a system that has us 8th in the NBA in offensive efficiency for the year.

oh noes he busted out facts and logic.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#1284 » by EasternMagic » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:20 pm

You don't want shard getting that last look because he's only a one to two dribble guy, if Hedo was in the position where he needed to drive or get out of a sticky situations he could do it, where as Shard would be more prone to turn it over
whocares
Senior
And1: 1

Post#1285 » by whocares » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:21 pm

1. hedo has not been really clutch this year.
2. not unlike all the other parts of his game, his clutchness also took a backseat compared to last year.
3. that said, whenever the game is on the line, what are the odds that the opposing team's coach draws out defensive schemes to prevent jameer from scoring?
4. then ask the same question putting any player there but hedo?
5. stats only tell one part of the story.
6. if everything were about stats, the sixers series would be over now, since the magic swept them during the regular season, has a much better offensive and defensive rating.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#1286 » by mhectorgato » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:26 pm

EasternMagic wrote:You don't want shard getting that last look because he's only a one to two dribble guy, if Hedo was in the position where he needed to drive or get out of a sticky situations he could do it, where as Shard would be more prone to turn it over

And yet the stats MitchellUK referenced show he scored more this year in "clutch" minutes. Must be a reason ...
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
parso15
Junior
And1: 4

Post#1287 » by parso15 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:05 pm

j-ragg wrote:
taruky1 wrote:SO let's see, Hedo goes 8-11 for 17 points, plays reasonable defense on Iguadala, hits the game winning shot, and does it all on a bum ankle. And in response he gets insults and backhanded compliments from the peanut gallery. I hope for Hedo's sake and Orlando' s sake he bolts, so Orlando can have its 80-0 season and Hedo can get some respect.

We understand you're a Hedo homer, its okay. I loved him tonight, he played like someone who isn't mentally challenged.

They play 82 games, just so ya know.

I am confused if taruky is a hedo homer than you must be a redneck hedo hater???

Now the world makes sense again...
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,012

Post#1288 » by Last Guardian » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:38 pm

mike_miller wrote:
Solid Snake wrote:
mike_miller wrote:
and to the whiners, no one remembers or cares the score in a game or what you were up or down by with 5 min to go in the 4th. the 97 bulls team, the greatest team ever, won the finals in 6, by 2, 8, 2 and 4 points.

Thats an awesome argument because the finals where the best teams from each conference are going at it is exactly like playing a first round against a .500 team.

how does that matter? that same year they swept the first round and not in a the most dominating fashion.

last years champs bearly made it to the second round..that didnt seem to make much of a difference.

its ok to for a champion to know how to close out close games as part of their toughness..but i guess if you dont have a ring you need to blow people out or not youre not playing well..

We don't need to blow them out, but playing solid in the 4th quarter to keep a lead.....oh, I am sorry, I didn't know that was too much to ask for from a 59 win team. I am sure our current play will lead us to the championship.....I have seen the light.
Curtis Lemansky
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 250

Post#1289 » by Curtis Lemansky » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:14 pm

mhectorgato wrote:
EasternMagic wrote:You don't want shard getting that last look because he's only a one to two dribble guy, if Hedo was in the position where he needed to drive or get out of a sticky situations he could do it, where as Shard would be more prone to turn it over

And yet the stats MitchellUK referenced show he scored more this year in "clutch" minutes. Must be a reason ...

The post doesnt indicate that Hedo is more clutch than Lewis. In truth,Lewis can be more "clutch" than Hedo.

I think a player like Lewis needs to have special plays designed for him to get a good look. He doesnt have a great handle,limited passing skills,neither quick nor strong. He is a terrific spot up shooter and a really good low post player for a small forward. Going to the low post in the final shot situations is,for some reason,not very much preferred in NBA. Even superb low pot scorers like Duncan get the ball in the low post in the critical moments of a game. So that only leaves him as a shooter in the clutch seconds. Since he doesnt use picks like Reggie Miller or Hamilton,he needs a drive-dish to be effective.

IMO these days a lot of coaches take the easy way,that's an isolation or a simple pick and roll/pick and pop. SVG is no different in that regard. That's why,with Jameer being out,Hedo ends up with the ball in clutch situations. I think Lee can be terrfic in the future in these situations as well but I guess him being rookie prevents him being the main ball handler in the clutch situations for SVG at the time being. Right now Hedo provides most options in Orlando when he has the ball. He can get to the rim,draw fouls,pull up from anywhere and drive/dish. Lee and Nelson will be very viable clutch options down the road(Nelson already is decent) but right now Hedo,no matter how bad he plays that day,seems like the best player to give the handling duties. Remember he has plenty of playoff experience as well.
"I don't step aside, I step up." - Vic Mackey
"My name is my name" - Marlo Stanfield
"If you come at the king, you best not miss" - Omar Little

Formerly known as nostradamus2005
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#1290 » by Shishnizzle » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:45 pm

I'm starting to understand why people hate our fan base.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#1291 » by mhectorgato » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:01 pm

nostradamus2005 wrote:
mhectorgato wrote:

The post doesnt indicate that Hedo is more clutch than Lewis. In truth,Lewis can be more "clutch" than Hedo.

I think a player like Lewis needs to have special plays designed for him to get a good look. He doesnt have a great handle,limited passing skills,neither quick nor strong. He is a terrific spot up shooter and a really good low post player for a small forward. Going to the low post in the final shot situations is,for some reason,not very much preferred in NBA. Even superb low pot scorers like Duncan get the ball in the low post in the critical moments of a game. So that only leaves him as a shooter in the clutch seconds. Since he doesnt use picks like Reggie Miller or Hamilton,he needs a drive-dish to be effective.

IMO these days a lot of coaches take the easy way,that's an isolation or a simple pick and roll/pick and pop. SVG is no different in that regard. That's why,with Jameer being out,Hedo ends up with the ball in clutch situations. I think Lee can be terrfic in the future in these situations as well but I guess him being rookie prevents him being the main ball handler in the clutch situations for SVG at the time being. Right now Hedo provides most options in Orlando when he has the ball. He can get to the rim,draw fouls,pull up from anywhere and drive/dish. Lee and Nelson will be very viable clutch options down the road(Nelson already is decent) but right now Hedo,no matter how bad he plays that day,seems like the best player to give the handling duties. Remember he has plenty of playoff experience as well.

I agree with what is being said here.

While Hedo has shown himself capable of doing these things, much of the season he's not been doing them well. His bad ankle isn't helping him either.

My (and MitchellUK's I assume) post in disagreement the inference that Shard is unable and incapable to do well in those situations. He may not have the best handles for driving, he's demonstrate that he's able to dribble enough to get a shot off. Plus in this case, there was plenty of time for a pump fake, which he does well with also.

Additionally, Shard has no problem passing it up if he has no shot, again in this case there would have been enough time. Had Philly doubled him hard like they did to Hedo, with his height he could get a pass off.

Return to Orlando Magic