ImageImageImageImage

Zucker: Gortat "very disappointed" that Magic matched offer

Moderators: ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami

Prolific Scorer
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Zucker: Gortat "very disappointed" that Magic matched offer 

Post#101 » by Prolific Scorer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:57 am

Marcin Gortat has gotten his money, and his playing time will reflect on how much he's improved his game this offseason.

If he's worried about playing time he should incorperate an 16-18 footer into his game and he won't have to worry about playing time. Being a 7 footer I know it's easier said than done, but like I said if he's able to hit that spotup 17 footer playing time won't be a problem.

Marcin you're in control of your own destiny, you've gotten paid, so get in the gym and work on your game. Period.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,298

Post#102 » by Jiwol » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:53 am

NickAndersonsBack25 wrote:2) did the quotes from Gortat in the media after the Shaq thing really have an origination here?

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=898981

Here's the thread. After that Orlando Sentinel run the story using my exact words from the translation with all my shortcomings as far as English is concerned. The rest is the history.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,261

Post#103 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:35 am

Holy schnikies Horcy has gone international! Your my hero!
aka: prorl
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#104 » by G-Heel » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:17 pm

Maybe Magic will trade Gortat to the Thunders, they got good young talent over there, he'll fit in great.
Fire Otis!
The_Cut
Junior
And1: 0

Post#105 » by The_Cut » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:20 pm

He'll get over it... But i think he'll be traded through the season - maybe along with the Trade-Exception.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#106 » by KingRobb02 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:22 pm

mhectorgato wrote:
BigCityCat wrote:I hate to say it but I would be pretty disappointed if I was forced to live in Oklahoma. Houston wouldn't be bad but I think Gortat would have preferred to play for Dallas. I don't think Houston is going to be a winning team without Yao and if he comes back it would be back to the bench for Gortat, but he can veto a trade to any team that he does not want to go to.

Well Yao can't come back this year at all, since they got a DPE for him.

*of course Yao can come back the following year. Could Yao and Gortat play the 4 & 5 together? Or is it the same deal as in ORL?

Yao could come back tomorrow if he is healthy. That's the problem with the NBA giving them the DPE so early. Maybe the NBA and the Rockets know more than they are letting on.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#107 » by Gerhalt11 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:32 pm

Quit ragging on him, guys. It's entirely possible that he never said he was disappointed. That seems to the latest, anyway. And even if he is, so what? He's a backup. Does it really matter that much if he dogs it? If he does, we trade him, if he doesn't...we trade him. Stop bringing down a talented player because he wants more minutes. It's one thing to whine about it when you don't have the skills to back it up, but I think everyone here can agree that Gortat does. He'd start on 20-25 teams in the NBA, and he's stuck on the bench because he happens to be on the same team as the best center in the world.
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#108 » by magicmamma » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Gerhalt11 wrote:Quit ragging on him, guys. It's entirely possible that he never said he was disappointed. That seems to the latest, anyway. And even if he is, so what?

Yes.

There is NO recorded statement from him that Gortat is unhappy with his situation. There IS a recorded statement that he would be happy with either team. It's perfectly possible to be disappointed with one aspect of your situation (not starting) and to be happy with other aspects (liking the team). As a matter of fact, that is the norm. When I bought my house, I was disappointed that I didn't get the one that was closer to work and nicer, but at the same time happy to have the more appealing neighborhood and bigger yard of the one I got. Gortat has been unhappy about his playing time all the time he has been with the Magic, and is still known as the hardest-working player on the team and the one that has shown the most improvement.

No doubt he reads the forums, and is probably thinking the Magic fan base doesn't like him much. That's too bad, because those who have met him find him about the friendliest and most approachable guy on the team. I don't think that will change, but how about not trying to change it by insulting him.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#109 » by mhectorgato » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:31 pm

magicmamma wrote:Yes.

There is NO recorded statement from him that Gortat is unhappy with his situation. There IS a recorded statement that he would be happy with either team. It's perfectly possible to be disappointed with one aspect of your situation (not starting) and to be happy with other aspects (liking the team). As a matter of fact, that is the norm. When I bought my house, I was disappointed that I didn't get the one that was closer to work and nicer, but at the same time happy to have the more appealing neighborhood and bigger yard of the one I got. Gortat has been unhappy about his playing time all the time he has been with the Magic, and is still known as the hardest-working player on the team and the one that has shown the most improvement.

No doubt he reads the forums, and is probably thinking the Magic fan base doesn't like him much. That's too bad, because those who have met him find him about the friendliest and most approachable guy on the team. I don't think that will change, but how about not trying to change it by insulting him.

Well hopefully he's not taking such a small sample size. Many have been praising and hyping him up (even to near superstar levels) for quite a while now.

If I responded to a misquote - then allow me retract my statements and say "I'm sorry Mr Hammer."
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#110 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:48 pm

I certainly wouldn't be happy if I was Gortat.

lol @ all the people saying "He has a chance to win a ring here blah blah blah". Sorry, but if I was a young player, I'd first want to establish myself as a legit player in the league before worrying about winning a ring while playing limited minutes from the bench.

Gortat's frustration is understandable. Still, he'll play his ass off for us. The worst thing he could do is sulk and moan.
Jiwol
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,298

Post#111 » by Jiwol » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:12 pm

I said I wouldn't do it again, but I'd like to clear some things out translating some quotes from Gortat. He's in Poland now promoting Euro Championships so he's able to give many interviews. In the last on he said:

"Magic wanted me to stay, so I'm staying. It was in my contract. Orlando franchised trained me to the NBA level so they had right to keep me. I'll do the best i can to pay them off with my effort"

"When I heard Magic matched Mavs' offer I thought to myself: I'm gonna be in the NBA for 5 years! Ther's been some information I was unhappy. That I said it and so did my agent. Of course it's not true. (...) I'd be the happiest man even if I played for the worst team in the league"

http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,65025,6825313,Gortat__Bede_gral_piec_lat_w_NBA_.html

The interview is much longer but it's the clue as far as this thread is concerned. So you all can now chill. He's not gonna sulk but play his butt off. He's just that type of guy.
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#112 » by Shishnizzle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Gortat is awesome. I'm really glad he is still on our team.
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#113 » by Horcy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:46 pm

prorl wrote:Holy schnikies Horcy has gone international! Your my hero!

hehe If I'm the source the polish diary needs to hire a journalist quickly!!!

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:I certainly wouldn't be happy if I was Gortat.

lol @ all the people saying "He has a chance to win a ring here blah blah blah". Sorry, but if I was a young player, I'd first want to establish myself as a legit player in the league before worrying about winning a ring while playing limited minutes from the bench.

Gortat's frustration is understandable. Still, he'll play his ass off for us. The worst thing he could do is sulk and moan.

Courtney Lee has added almost 2 or 3 years of NBA experience by playing the playoffs and the NBA Finals. Only a few players have the chance to fight for a ring. He has been traded for one of the best players in the last 10 years, Carter.
Pat Ewing is one of those players who haven't won a ring and would change it all for a ring.
I understand the other point of view, this is not the best case scenario for Marcin (Dallas would be now) but this is not a bad situation at all for him.

Good job Jiwol! Nice comments by Marcin.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#114 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:27 pm

thanks for the translation/info Jiwol

Gortat was just on espn radio being interviewed

I missed the interview but here are comments from ozone

http://orlandomagiczone.com/eve/forums/ ... 108963/p/2

he just wants to play more minutes.

He said he's gonna compete and work hard for more minutes (at PF, I would assume).

He says he understands this is a business, and he's gonna be ready to play for Orlando, be working to improve his game.

But if he gets traded, he would understand.

said he now understand the NBA is a business and will be prepared if he is traded this year.

He just wanted peace of mind that he'll be with 1 team for the duration of his contract so he can soley focus on bball.

happy to be in orlando. Wanted more minutes, but he knows he's still in a good situation on a great team that can win a title.

thinks he can play 4. knows he can shoot from mid-range

Gortat basically saying what Dwight said, that losing in the Finals is a terrible feeling after nine months of hard work, and he never wants to feel that again.

Gortat believes that he can start at Power Forward and will work towards doing so.

I love how he keeps saying I'm gonna work.. I gotta work hard.. he just keeps talking about getting better.

Gortat said he was "happy too" in responding to the hosts saying that Magic fans and the organization are thrilled to have him back.

He sounded sincere to me, I don't think he'll be unhappy or a problem in the locker room. At the same time, he'll be competitive and busting his hump for as many minutes as he can get.

1) Says he is happy to be back.
2) Says he wanted to play more minutes in Dallas but isn't upset Magic Matched and plans to battle for more minutes.
3) Says he is a celebrity in Poland and needs to have an entourage when he goes out.
4) Not sure if he is going to be traded after Dec 15
5) Says he knows he can play the Power Forward position. He Is doing more running, working on his footwork and adds that he can hit the jumper.

6) Said he was coming to camp to compete as the starter at power forward.

Starts out he's happy to be back.
Just wanted to play bigger minutes, no knock on Orlando.
Hopefully we will win the Finals this year.
Thinks he can improve, and he wants to prove he's better than some of the other players on the team.
It's crazy how big he is back in Poland.(Michael Jordan of Poland) Smiler

Do you expect to be traded Dec. 15?
I thought I could relax after I signed a big contract, now next couple of months will be anxious till Dec. 15. But, I will be ready to play my best for the Orlando Magic.

Have you talked to any teammates?
No, but I will call Dwight soon, to get us excited about next season.

Gortat said "we will have an Amazing team next year!"

The whole team is going to work harder to win the title!

Do you think you can start at the 4 position for the Magic?
Yes, I definatly can play the four. I can shoot from the outside, and I can play any 4 on defense.

Any message for Vince Carter?
I have a shoe size of 15. Because that was the first shoes he had.

When will you be bcak in Orlando?
Not sure, probably 2 weeks before training camp.

Gortat is a very likable guy. Glad to have him back! Go Magic!!!

<3 gortat !!!
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#115 » by Horcy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:36 pm

It would be awsome to watch a fair fight for the PF spot. We have many interesting and different big men. Gortat has done enough to earn more minutes. I trust him.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 957

Post#116 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Jiwol wrote:I said I wouldn't do it again, but I'd like to clear some things out translating some quotes from Gortat. He's in Poland now promoting Euro Championships so he's able to give many interviews. In the last on he said:

"Magic wanted me to stay, so I'm staying. It was in my contract. Orlando franchised trained me to the NBA level so they had right to keep me. I'll do the best i can to pay them off with my effort"

"When I heard Magic matched Mavs' offer I thought to myself: I'm gonna be in the NBA for 5 years! Ther's been some information I was unhappy. That I said it and so did my agent. Of course it's not true. (...) I'd be the happiest man even if I played for the worst team in the league"

http://www.sport.pl/sport/1,65025,6825313,Gortat__Bede_gral_piec_lat_w_NBA_.html

The interview is much longer but it's the clue as far as this thread is concerned. So you all can now chill. He's not gonna sulk but play his butt off. He's just that type of guy.

But if it were the worst team in the league, there's a good chance he'd be playing 36 MPG. Ok, ok, I'm kidding. Well, I'm serious, but I'm kidding on what I was implying.

Anyhow, I'm very glad to hear his comments on playing power forward. If he gets a really good consistent jumper to stretch the floor, our front line is flat out ridiculous. Ridiculous and young, to boot!
magicfan4life05
RealGM

Post#117 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Devin 1L wrote:
But if it were the worst team in the league, there's a good chance he'd be playing 36 MPG. Ok, ok, I'm kidding. Well, I'm serious, but I'm kidding on what I was implying.

Anyhow, I'm very glad to hear his comments on playing power forward. If he gets a really good consistent jumper to stretch the floor, our front line is flat out ridiculous. Ridiculous and young, to boot!

agreed, if (and it's a big if) he can get a better/consistent jumpshot to complement howard's inside game, the frontline of gortat/d12 will be the beastly offensive/defensive frontline we wanted darko and howard to be.

oh and btw howard is 23 and gortat is 25.....

:pray:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
magicfan4life05
RealGM

Post#118 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:53 pm

If you missed the interview with Gortat on espn radio, they said they will re air the interview at 5:30

you can listen here

http://sports.espn.go.com/stations/play ... on=orlando

Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 957

Post#119 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:06 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:
Devin 1L wrote:

agreed, if (and it's a big if) he can get a better/consistent jumpshot to complement howard's inside game, the frontline of gortat/d12 will be the beastly offensive/defensive frontline we wanted darko and howard to be.

oh and btw howard is 23 and gortat is 25.....

:pray:

Definitely. And I was throwing 24 year old Bass into that mix.

Together, they could dominate the front court for the next 10 years, or at least the next four that they're under contract together.

I'm really stoked about our front court. I can't say how glad I am that Otis matched.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#120 » by mhectorgato » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Devin 1L wrote:Definitely. And I was throwing 24 year old Bass into that mix.

Together, they could dominate the front court for the next 10 years, or at least the next four that they're under contract together.

I'm really stoked about our front court. I can't say how glad I am that Otis matched.

Too bad we don't know Otis' future plans for Gortat.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.

Return to Orlando Magic