ImageImageImageImage

Zucker: Gortat "very disappointed" that Magic matched offer

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Mallpha
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Zucker: Gortat "very disappointed" that Magic matched offer 

Post#121 » by Mallpha » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:43 pm

I belive Otis plan is pretty simple untill 15th of december he will have time to see if Gortat can really play at PF good enough if he can he stays if he cant he is going to be a very nice trade bite.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,964

Post#122 » by Last Guardian » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:23 pm

I thought he could play PF last season, so its icing on the cake that he will be working more on his PF skillset (mainly jumpshooting). And I think because of this situation with Gortat clearly wanting more minutes and having a big contract, SVG will be under a little pressure to play him more minutes (which basically means playing with Dwight more).

I hope it works out because clearly they would be the best defensive and rebounding front court in the league. I mean, by a huge margin too.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#123 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:45 pm

mhectorgato wrote:
Devin 1L wrote:Definitely. And I was throwing 24 year old Bass into that mix.

Together, they could dominate the front court for the next 10 years, or at least the next four that they're under contract together.

I'm really stoked about our front court. I can't say how glad I am that Otis matched.

Too bad we don't know Otis' future plans for Gortat.

No, we don't, but I'm not terribly concerned. I think we have a great front court and I think that it will show very quickly how good it is. Otis may or may not have plans (regarding this), but in my opinion, this is going to work out very well -- well enough that he has little, if no, desire to change it.

Maybe wishful thinking, but I've generally been one of the posters on this forum who has toned back the collective expectations. I generally come a little short on predictions. This year though, at least this far, I'm stoked. To me, things look big. I really like where we are at right now, and I like our chances.
Rinaldi
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#124 » by Rinaldi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:26 pm

Devin 1L wrote:
Definitely. And I was throwing 24 year old Bass into that mix.

Together, they could dominate the front court for the next 10 years, or at least the next four that they're under contract together.

I'm really stoked about our front court. I can't say how glad I am that Otis matched.

So basically offering the same amount of money for a 4 ppg guy (Gorta) and a 17 ppg guy (Hedo) and getting the 4 ppg guy makes you happy. Interesting. I don't think that is brilliant management, when you have Howard as your franchise center. What was the name of the novel, Pollyanna?
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#125 » by craig01 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 pm

Rinaldi wrote:

So basically offering the same amount of money for a 4 ppg guy (Gorta) and a 17 ppg guy (Hedo) and getting the 4 ppg guy makes you happy. Interesting. I don't think that is brilliant management, when you have Howard as your franchise center. What was the name of the novel, Pollyanna?

C'mon, not "basically" the same money.

Time will tell if it is or isn't brilliant management.

What I do know is that Hedo's contract 2, 3 or 4 years from now may turn into a ball and chain.

Hedo isn't getting better either. The fact is is that his individual performance declined this year.

Being committed to Carter for only two years allows the Magic to rebuild the core as Howard enters into his peak years.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#126 » by Devin 1L » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Rinaldi wrote:
Devin 1L wrote:

I honestly feel no need to reply with an elaborate rebuttal.

Quote me at All-Star break when I'm wrong, how 'bout that? Yes, bookmark this.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#127 » by MitchellUK » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:10 am

Devin 1L wrote:
Rinaldi wrote:
Devin 1L wrote:

I honestly feel no need to reply with an elaborate rebuttal.

Quote me at All-Star break when I'm wrong, how 'bout that? Yes, bookmark this.

Them's fightin' words!

But seriously, I agree. We've added a versatile, inside-out power forward who can add some much needed intensity and rebounding help for Dwight, and retained a guy who was, let's not forget, one of the best minute-for-minute rebounders and shot blockers in the league last year, and we did it for roughly the same salary per year that Hedo was requesting on his own. And both of them are at the stages of their career that they are likely to improve, whereas for Hedo, the only way is likely down. I might be worried if we had just straight up let Hedo walk, but the move for Carter more than replaced his scoring and playmaking abilities.

Return to Orlando Magic