ImageImageImageImage

Zucker: Gortat "very disappointed" that Magic matched offer

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Re: Zucker: Gortat "very disappointed" that Magic matched offer 

Post#16 » by Hilltop » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:28 am

mhectorgato wrote:I feel bad for him for having his salary quadrupled during a major recession where the jobless rate is in the double digits and many can't afford the basics of life and/or health care.

This.
magicfaninTN
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#17 » by magicfaninTN » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:29 am

MitchellUK wrote:He's got two options - play his ass off in practice and crack the rotation for a full-time spot of 20mpg+, or play his ass off in practice and earn his way into a trade to a team where he'll get more playing time.

One way or another, he's got to come to training cap with a fire in his belly.

#3. Show up unmotivated. Sit on his new contract and cruise for 3 years at just enough effort to stay in the league and then start to work hard again as he approaches a contract year. Wouldn't be the first NBA player to follow that route.

HOWEVER, I expect we'll see heart & hustle out of Gortat at game time.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#18 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:35 am

What are the chances of him going to Europe? Just for the sake of conversation...
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#19 » by MitchellUK » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:35 am

magicfaninTN wrote:
MitchellUK wrote:He's got two options - play his ass off in practice and crack the rotation for a full-time spot of 20mpg+, or play his ass off in practice and earn his way into a trade to a team where he'll get more playing time.

One way or another, he's got to come to training cap with a fire in his belly.

#3. Show up unmotivated. Sit on his new contract and cruise for 3 years at just enough effort to stay in the league and then start to work hard again as he approaches a contract year. Wouldn't be the first NBA player to follow that route.

HOWEVER, I expect we'll see heart & hustle out of Gortat at game time.

If he chooses that option then he has no right to be bitching. If you want something you earn it - you don't sit and wait for it to come to you.

Unless you are a Venus Fly Trap.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#20 » by MitchellUK » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:37 am

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:What are the chances of him going to Europe? Just for the sake of conversation...

Now, zero. The NBA and FIBA has agreements in place about contracts - NBA contracts must be respected by FIBA teams and vice versa. The only way he goes to Europe now is if Orlando buys him out to let him go there.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,827

Post#21 » by Last Guardian » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:41 am

Understandable. We really probably should have let him go. And I am a big Gortat fan. But Dallas offered this contract with the assumption he'd be a starter or at least playing near starter minutes. And we matched that offer to only end up playing him 12mpg. So basically we are paying the same amount for a 12mpg Center that Dallas was going to pay for a potential starting Center.

I guess Otis wasn't lying when he said he could spend whatever he wanted. We are simply STACKED right now.
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#22 » by Horcy » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:46 am

Gortat needs to shut up and play his best. He is an employee of the Magic and he signed the team option.
There are millions of persons dying of hunger in the world. He will earn about 6/7 millions per season. He will be one of the richest men in Poland. I understand him, but I don't really care.
Marcin, don't hear your agent please, shut up and work.

Otis needs to take care of our business.
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#23 » by Gerhalt11 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:52 am

AdamTheGreek wrote:Good thing that's just his agent talking, I doubt Marcin opens his mouth like that.

Not sure how that makes sense. The deal was already in place, his agent would have nothing to gain financially from a lie like this. I'm not saying it's beyond the realm of possibility, agents are slimy toads, at best, but where's the good in the lie?
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#24 » by magicmamma » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:02 am

Gerhalt11 wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:Good thing that's just his agent talking, I doubt Marcin opens his mouth like that.

Not sure how that makes sense. The deal was already in place, his agent would have nothing to gain financially from a lie like this. I'm not saying it's beyond the realm of possibility, agents are slimy toads, at best, but where's the good in the lie?

He has to work with all the teams, now and in the future. He was talking to the people in Dallas and trying to convince them that he hadn't helped Otis pwn them.

No matter which way it went, Marcin would feel some regret. If he were off to Dallas, he would feel bad about leaving his old team and missing out on the championship run. I think he's a bit like SVG in that he says what he's thinking at the moment.
AGENTSTEVO
Junior

Post#25 » by AGENTSTEVO » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:33 am

I can understand why Gortat is upset. He wants to play and doesn't think he'll get the minutes in Orlando. But I think he'll see more playing time this year. Especially after the contract he just got. That was probably his agent talking.
streetp0et
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#26 » by streetp0et » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:17 am

he'll get his wish soon enough. both his contract and trade value is too high to make sense keeping him as 12mpg back up.
deanwoof
Assistant Coach
And1: 811

Post#27 » by deanwoof » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:28 am

I'm no expert, but I don't think we can trade him for exactly 1 year today since he was offered a contract we matched, right?

I think that we could potentially give Gortat/make him earn the starting PF job and have Bass come in off the bench 8-9 minutes into the game and just rotate a three-headed rotation of Howard, Bass and Gortat, with Lewis, Carter and Pietrus getting all the wing minutes.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#28 » by NEM » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:30 am

we cant trade him till the 15th of december, and for one year he can veto any trade. we also cant trade him to dallas until july 13, 2010
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
AfricanSensation
Head Coach
And1: 294

Post#29 » by AfricanSensation » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:39 am

You guys are funny with the people are losing jobs so he should shut up BS.

When players chose money you complain, when they try the easy way to a title you complain, now aguy says I don't care if I may get 6mil a year in Disneyworld and get an easy title, I love the game and I want to be the best NBA player I can be and play big minutes for a good team but no he is a rich player and he should just shut up and do whatever owners want?

I would like to see your reaction if your boss sends you to a city you don't want to be in for a role worse than what you could get elsewhere, I doubt you will be like hey, at least I have food better than people in Darfour....

He worked his entire life to be an NBA starting Center and the Magic GM just took that away from him so of course he is disapointed. He is not saying that he won't show up to camp or anything but allow a guy to express is displeasure for a moment. Jeez.
magicfaninTN
Sophomore

Post#30 » by magicfaninTN » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:54 am

AfricanSensation wrote:You guys are funny with the people are losing jobs so he should shut up BS.

When players chose money you complain, when they try the easy way to a title you complain, now aguy says I don't care if I may get 6mil a year in Disneyworld and get an easy title, I love the game and I want to be the best NBA player I can be and play big minutes for a good team but no he is a rich player and he should just shut up and do whatever owners want?

I would like to see your reaction if your boss sends you to a city you don't want to be in for a role worse than what you could get elsewhere, I doubt you will be like hey, at least I have food better than people in Darfour....

He worked his entire life to be an NBA starting Center and the Magic GM just took that away from him so of course he is disapointed. He is not saying that he won't show up to camp or anything but allow a guy to express is displeasure for a moment. Jeez.

His agent is a doofus for wording it the way he did. If he had put it positively (i.e. "Marcin was really looking forward to contributing to a team in a starting role....") it would have come off a lot better; especially if he followed that with the things he "should" say about being happy to return to a great organization like the Magic, etc., etc.

At this level of public exposure and with the the way the public views sports celebrities and their salaries, it really should not have come off the agent's tongue the way it did. Unprofessional.

Nobody likes a whiner or diva. Ever. And a guy who just pulled in $5.8mill this year (@ a 600% raise) and a $34mill contract to play a game--with a championship contending team--and then complains about where ...well it sounds like whining....even if it is just expressing disappointment.

Won't be surprised to see a clarification statement pretty soon [edit: from his agent].
ProfX
Starter
And1: 24

Post#31 » by ProfX » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:02 am

Gortat is going to split most of the minutes at PF with Bass and get backup min at Center.. Im thinking 20-25 per game total. He might have gotten starter minutes in Dallas, but I doubt it. Dampier's a vet going into a contract year, he is going to play his ass off. Now, if Gortat produces like we think he will, then he is going to be one valuable trade asset. He could be pulling down 10/10 a game plus a block or two. He needs to show that he can do that on a consistent basis. For his career and for the possibility to move. He needs to work so hard, that someone makes Otis "the mumbler" an offer he can't refuse.
out of difficulty comes opportunity.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,607

Post#32 » by Howard Mass » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:12 am

I really appreciate Rich Devos' willingness to keep Gortat.

This moves gives the Magic a good backup option if Dwight ever has to miss a game this season.

He will likely be moved by this time next summer but nice to maximize those assets.

Don't ever say Mr. Devos is not committed to winning.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#33 » by Hilltop » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:19 am

AfricanSensation wrote:You guys are funny with the people are losing jobs so he should shut up BS.

When you aren't calling the shots and aren't in the position to do so, then there is nothing to complain about. The Magic had every right to match that offer, and they owe Gortat nothing. If my boss gives me a job inferior to another I have in mind, I would be disappointed, but what else can I do about it? It's business, and these guys should be able to deal with that. That's what professionalism is all about.

This isn't such a 'terrible' situation for him anyway. You're getting paid 5 times what you used to make, and you are playing with a team that has a great shot at winning the league's ultimate prize. If that sounds like a rip-off to you then I don't know. In any case, the good of the team takes primacy over the personal goals of an individual player. That said, I don't feel sorry for Gortat.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,599

Post#34 » by RookieStar » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:53 am

Why be disappointed?

How many chances does a player have of EARNING a ring or the oppurtunity to get one. Lots of HOFers finished their careers without getting one.

Gortat should be stoked that in his relatively young basketball career he can contribute and get one. Later on, he can try to be the man to lead his team in getting one.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#35 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:58 am

Well he is dissapointed because he knows what is the meaning of all this...
He is worried he might end up in a crappy team...
Dallas was perfect fit >strong team hot weather like he likes and big chance to start...

I just read some Polish tabolid and he knows that Magic propably match offer just to trade him later...
let me quote and translate what he said before magic matched offer...

"It would be silly if Magic match Dallas offer and after 90 days ill be traded to a team that is playing for 10 wins"

So I dont blame him for beeing dissapointed...
but at the same time he must understand ...this is how nba works...sooner he will realise it the better for him...

Return to Orlando Magic